Mushroom thread

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
It turned out to be a 13qt.. Had to pass anyway.

Cant find a damn pressure cooker with a guage for less than $230. This is ridiculous.

beluga

beluga

You don't necessarily need the gauge. You can find out the weight of the rocker and do the calculations accordingly... never done that, so I'm not exactly sure what it entails.

Also, most pressure cookers from the past 80 years have at least one failsafe valve so to not blow up in your face.
Like I said before - keep the gasket oiled and don't let it run dry and you'll be in good shape.

edit: the gauge is just a nice way to monitor where you're at and adjust accordingly. The rocker is the mechanism that actually does the pressure regulation.. in fact, it's called a pressure regulator. It works by the physical nature of its weight and it rocks around to incrementally release pressure.. If the pressure gets too high, it'll just blow off and you'll have a chimney of steam out of its valve.
Basically, if something clogs your steam release valve, the pressure gauge won't do anything to help you.

Last edited:
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
You don't necessarily need the gauge. You can find out the weight of the rocker and do the calculations accordingly... never done that, so I'm not exactly sure what it entails.

Also, most pressure cookers from the past 80 years have at least one failsafe valve so to not blow up in your face.
Like I said before - keep the gasket oiled and don't let it run dry and you'll be in good shape.

edit: the gauge is just a nice way to monitor where you're at and adjust accordingly. The rocker is the mechanism that actually does the pressure regulation.. in fact, it's called a pressure regulator. It works by the physical nature of its weight and it rocks around to incrementally release pressure.. If the pressure gets too high, it'll just blow off and you'll have a chimney of steam out of its valve.
Basically, if something clogs your steam release valve, the pressure gauge won't do anything to help you.
Fail safe, regardless but I do not trust it.
Just like a overinflated tire, you just don’t no.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Watched a video last night where a guy was innoculating packages of uncle bens instant brown rice. They come precooked, sterile and vacuum sealed. Any you guys ever tried that? seems too easy lol. But might be a decent option until i can find a pressure cooker.

beluga

beluga

I've seen the rice packets work. It's messy, but doable. Again brings in the dirty spore syringe vector.

And, yeah. Failsafes are absolutely wonderful. When you have to leave a pressurized steel/aluminum drum over a flame/electrode for 2 hours... always nice to have any extra peace of mind.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Im thinking about making a glovebox instead of a still air box. And i think i might be forced to start with Uncle Ben Tek until i can find a unit.
But ill try and figure out a way to get a chunk of agar in the bag rather than syringe. If you can take a lid off a jar to drop in a chunk i dont see that as being much different than quickly cutting a hole in the bag, dropping in the good stuff and taping it up.

Seems too easy really..

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

I pc for 90 minutes at 15 psi and use numerous other preventative measures and still get mold and zero shrooms sometimes. It greatly depends on the mold count in your air. If you are fanning regularly like you should and mold is floating around your probably getting it.
Sometimes it's just easier to buy an all in one casing and spawn bag from mycohaus and skip the extra work that might be for nothing.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Airborne mold is a concern for sure, living in the PNW. I was considering making hepa filter air vents and having a small port to insert a mister for my tub/shoebox. Id like to be able to vent and mist without removing the dome if possible.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Airborne mold is a concern for sure, living in the PNW. I was considering making hepa filter air vents and having a small port to insert a mister for my tub/shoebox. Id like to be able to vent and mist without removing the dome if possible.
Haven’t had any issues opening and fanning in the pf jar adventure.
55058005 C7CC 4121 AD72 6BEA9BA85EB2

beluga

beluga

"Spore load" is a controversial topic that I don't care to take sides on. Basically, a clean, mold-free house is nice and mushrooms think so too.
But if you follow the method of making an axenic culture expanded to a non-nutritious bulk substrate, you don't have to worry about competition because your culture is already completely colonizing the nutrition that mold could use to contaminate.

Glove boxes create positive pressure and can force things into your sterile media.
In laboratory applications, glove boxes are used to keep things from contaminating you. They use still air boxes that are only slightly more sophisticated than a plastic tote for cell culturing.

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
"Spore load" is a controversial topic that I don't care to take sides on. Basically, a clean, mold-free house is nice and mushrooms think so too.
But if you follow the method of making an axenic culture expanded to a non-nutritious bulk substrate, you don't have to worry about competition because your culture is already completely colonizing the nutrition that mold could use to contaminate.

Glove boxes create positive pressure and can force things into your sterile media.
In laboratory applications, glove boxes are used to keep things from contaminating you. They use still air boxes that are only slightly more sophisticated than a plastic tote for cell culturing.

And once again, thank you very much!

As for clean, mold free home... 🤣
I have twin teenagers. Lets just say we do our best. Mold isnt a huge concern but again in the PNW everything is damp all winter, so im sure its in the air. But you raise an excelent point about nutrition sources being used up already by the spawn. Thats an excellent reason to use a realatively inert bulk substrate.

beluga

beluga

nutrition sources being used up already by the spawn. Thats an excellent reason to use a realatively inert bulk substrate.
Yeah, especially for P. cubensis. They are very low-requirememt mushrooms.
Once you get into other species (you'll probably get the itch eventually... especially being up in the PNW) that changes and that's where you get into pasteurization and all that... keep that out of your brain for now.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah, especially for P. cubensis. They are very low-requirememt mushrooms.
Once you get into other species (you'll probably get the itch eventually... especially being up in the PNW) that changes and that's where you get into pasteurization and all that... keep that out of your brain for now.

Solid advice man, i really appreciate it. Seems like i might have scored a used pressure canner, again no guage but has 3 different weights for different pressures. I could always add a guage to it honestly.

Fudge

Fudge

Solid advice man, i really appreciate it. Seems like i might have scored a used pressure canner, again no guage but has 3 different weights for different pressures. I could always add a guage to it honestly.

@Dirtbag Is this any good for you. It's stupid shipping fir me I just wondered if it was any better price wise for you, looks huge

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
@Dirtbag Is this any good for you. It's stupid shipping fir me I just wondered if it was any better price wise for you, looks huge

Thanks for the heads up man! My wife says she has friends that will lend us a big gauged pressure canner for a couple weeks to stockpile spawning jars. Probably going ro go that route for now and save up for a big one if i really get into this hobby.

Fudge

Fudge

Thanks for the heads up man! My wife says she has friends that will lend us a big gauged pressure canner for a couple weeks to stockpile spawning jars. Probably going ro go that route for now and save up for a big one if i really get into this hobby.
I've been lurking here for a while myself, trying to get the oomph to take the plunge and go for it.
Soon,,,, soon. Lol

Top Bottom