Mushroom thread

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Going to give the fruiting jar a shot at the same time.
I didn’t quit have enough grain to finish up #1tub so I pulled a bit from this one.
1 inch vermiculite with a plasti bag on top 9 small holes from a syringe, adequate enough?
5B030A71 D361 4153 8950 89BA8985A1DC

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Well its unseasonably warm in BC this weekend. Figured its a great opportunity to head out on the boat for the night. Meeting a buddy of mine on one of the gulf islands to raft our boats together and drop a mega dose of mushrooms tonight lol.
20201205 134020

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
And quit smoking.
So far so good. Last smoke was about 5:30pm on Saturday. I brought a pack along for the trip, we each had a couple from it while discussing all the negative aspects of smoking, and then we cerimonially burned the nearly full pack in the campfire. That shroom experience on Saturday was mental reset worthy, to say the least. Was not a comfortable trip.

By 7pm we ran out of dry firewood so we retired to our respective boats for the night. My heater wasnt working and neither was his lol, it was cold and damp, and i pretty much just crawled into my sleeping bag and spent the next 6 hrs in a dark and damp quarter berth trippin balls. Gave me plenty of time to reflect on why i was there. My buddy made a cushion fort out of his V berth apparently lol.

Oddly it seems like we wiped out more than just our smoking habits though. Yesterday morning discussing the trip over coffee we both decided to not only quit cigarettes, but to also take a long break from smoking pot and drinking alcohol. Basically hung up all of our vices. But we both decided that cannabis edibles would be the one thing we'd both continue to consume.

My buddy was the perfect partner for a trip like this.. We both struggle with the same habits and addictions at pretty much the same degree of severity, and oddly for many of the same reasons.

beluga

beluga

So far so good. Last smoke was about 5:30pm on Saturday. I brought a pack along for the trip, we each had a couple from it while discussing all the negative aspects of smoking, and then we cerimonially burned the nearly full pack in the campfire. That shroom experience on Saturday was mental reset worthy, to say the least. Was not a comfortable trip.

By 7pm we ran out of dry firewood so we retired to our respective boats for the night. My heater wasnt working and neither was his lol, it was cold and damp, and i pretty much just crawled into my sleeping bag and spent the next 6 hrs in a dark and damp quarter berth trippin balls. Gave me plenty of time to reflect on why i was there. My buddy made a cushion fort out of his V berth apparently lol.

Oddly it seems like we wiped out more than just our smoking habits though. Yesterday morning discussing the trip over coffee we both decided to not only quit cigarettes, but to also take a long break from smoking pot and drinking alcohol. Basically hung up all of our vices. But we both decided that cannabis edibles would be the one thing we'd both continue to consume.

My buddy was the perfect partner for a trip like this.. We both struggle with the same habits and addictions at pretty much the same degree of severity, and oddly for many of the same reasons.
It's those rough ones that really do the heavy lifting.

I've noticed with my tobacco habit management that, yeah, everything else had to go as well while I was weaning my body away from the physical dependency.
Glad to hear you're on the path, man!
Go chop a bunch of wood or something for the next couple weeks and you'll have that shit kicked. 🤣

amekins

amekins

Well done!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Really coming along, looks like the jars will be fully colonized by this weekend. Still no sign of contamination (knock on wood), im not even sure if my Petri dish is contaminated like i thought it was... Its just all white mycellium.
The Peurto rican Petrie has numerous different looking colonies on it now too. How would you go about sectoring a dish like this to move to the next stage of isolation @beluga?
20201207 120734

peurto rican from an MS syringe
20201207 120739

Golden Emperor from agar culture
20201207 120744

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Here is one jar I left unshaken to see the difference between shaken vs not... You can just kind of see the agar chunk on the right in the first pic. Quite a difference. This jar is only about 60% colonized while the rest are 80-90%.
20201207 122224
20201207 122228

beluga

beluga

That one labeled G(C?)E (last pic) is definitely facing off with something else. You can see a pretty distinct line around the 12-4 o'clock area where the GE myc is getting extra rhizomorphous and trying to hop over the mold.
It's gonna be a little bit of a wildcard with the other stuff on that GE plate because it's grown to the edges, but you should be good to take something from that 6 o'clock area. I'd do it sooner than later.
20201207-120744.jpg

Green = go. Red = face off.

It's kinda hard to make out the Peurto Rican, but the spot that I see that I really like is around 9:30 - 10 o'clock.. you can see that one colony that has some nice even growth that points toward the center and is more akin to good uncontaminated growth.
20201207-120739.jpg

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That one labeled G(C?)E (last pic) is definitely facing off with something else. You can see a pretty distinct line around the 12-4 o'clock area where the GE myc is getting extra rhizomorphous and trying to hop over the mold.
It's gonna be a little bit of a wildcard with the other stuff on that GE plate because it's grown to the edges, but you should be good to take something from that 6 o'clock area. I'd do it sooner than later.
20201207-120744.jpg

Green = go. Red = face off.

It's kinda hard to make out the Peurto Rican, but the spot that I see that I really like is around 9:30 - 10 o'clock.. you can see that one colony that has some nice even growth that points toward the center and is more akin to good uncontaminated growth.
20201207-120739.jpg

Awesome, we both picked the same spot on the peurto rican so thats what i'll take. Its about the only blob with any noticable rhizomorphic action i can see. Probably do it later today.

As for the GE, yeah I think i might just toss it. But its also a bit concerning, the stuff you identified in red on the GE plate to my untrained eye, doesnt look a whole lot different than some of the mycellial growth im seeing in the jars. I have just been attributing it to the jar colonies containing both rhizo and tomentose growth. Not so much contamination, but its more than possible i just dont know what im looking at or how to discern what is the white fuzzy stuff i want, vs the white fuzzy stuff i dont what. To me it just all looks like white fuzz... 🤣

beluga

beluga

Awesome, we both picked the same spot on the peurto rican so thats what i'll take. Its about the only blob with any noticable rhizomorphic action i can see. Probably do it later today.

As for the GE, yeah I think i might just toss it. But its also a bit concerning, the stuff you identified in red on the GE plate to my untrained eye, doesnt look a whole lot different than some of the mycellial growth im seeing in the jars. I have just been attributing it to the jar volonies containing both rhizo and tomentose growth. Not so much contamination, but its more than possible i just dont know what im looking at or how to discern what is the white fuzzy stuff i want, vs the white fuzzy stuff i dont what. To me it just all looks like white fuzz... 🤣
Mold's a tricky bitch a lot of the time and will sometimes be intertwined. Other times it'll do the same kind of face-off thing.
I don't think your jars look moldy, and, based on the rate of growth, I think you're good. You might have some bacteria riding along... that'll make it look kinda marshmallow and keep it from growing crazy quick. Mold would have probably covered your grain by now and turned green.... probably.
PM you're probably familiar with and is a lot whispier and not nearly as opaque. Also super fast growing.

Bahs Creole

Bahs Creole

After watching myc jars grow for some time, you'll be able to tell the difference in mold and mycelium. In my experience, alot of mold grows more white and super fast, basically if you're super stoked about the progression of your spawn, it's probably mold 😒 and if its not growing white, you definitely have issues..

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Oh lol, almost forgot to mention the most awesome thing i saw Saturday night. The spaceX sattelite train. Id never heard of it but my buddy knew what it was thankfully. Fuck was that a trip to see! Didnt get any of my own pics but there are lots of vids on youtube.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Oh lol, almost forgot to mention the most awesome thing i saw Saturday night. The spaceX sattelite train. Id never heard of it but my buddy knew what it was thankfully. Fuck was that a trip to see! Didnt get any of my own pics but there are lots of vids on youtube.

when these went up we saw all the flashing lights all over the sky. But we didnt know what they were at the time. It was spooky not knowing.

beluga

beluga

TF can't I see 'em? Too close metropolis?
That's nutty... I'd 100% lose my shit if I were tripping and saw that... even knowing what they were.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter

I was at the beach on the east coast around the 4th of July holiday. This was a few years post 911 andthere were talks of attacks on the east coast. I was between New York City and Wash DC... not a good place to be if they start dropping weird stuff. Anyhow, about midnight I go out and look up and see a reallly strange glowing patch in the sky that moved around a little, changed colors, and then disappeared. I called the hotline and reported it but didn't get any response from anyone. A decade later I found out it was a rocket releasing some strange type of glowing stuff to trace pathways in the Earth's electromagnetic field. No Space-x trains.

Latest posts

Top Bottom