My first time growing / journal (help needed)

• Thread starter InsaneM
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
InsaneM

InsaneM

I got her rinsed through pretty well just now, hopefully I got most of them out of the plant. I will be getting ladybugs and predator mites to take care of the rest. Hopefully this will be the last rinsing.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Looks good! 👍

Just keep an eye out for heavy infestation. Do you have a jewelers loupe or some sort of magnifier that you can get a close up look of the underside of your leaves? It would be good to have one so that you can also check the trichome development and know when to harvest your flowers. This is the one I use:

It's cheap and does the job but if you want something with excellent optics and higher quality then you're going to want to go with the one GNick uses:

IMO, at this stage in the game ladybugs, praying mantis, etc. aren't going to be able to keep up with the infestation. Outdoors? Yes because you have an army of ladybugs and other mite predators to keep the mites in check. I've tried releasing boxes of ladybugs into infested rooms but they usually just dissipate after a while and the problem is still there. Also, if your room is connected to your living space you will have an army of ladybugs invade your space!!

InsaneM

InsaneM

Looks good! 👍

Just keep an eye out for heavy infestation. Do you have a jewelers loupe or some sort of magnifier that you can get a close up look of the underside of your leaves? It would be good to have one so that you can also check the trichome development and know when to harvest your flowers. This is the one I use:

It's cheap and does the job but if you want something with excellent optics and higher quality then you're going to want to go with the one GNick uses:

IMO, at this stage in the game ladybugs, praying mantis, etc. aren't going to be able to keep up with the infestation. Outdoors? Yes because you have an army of ladybugs and other mite predators to keep the mites in check. I've tried releasing boxes of ladybugs into infested rooms but they usually just dissipate after a while and the problem is still there. Also, if your room is connected to your living space you will have an army of ladybugs invade your space!!

That’s what I’m getting right now as we speak, I do need one to closely inspect the trichomes. I already have 10 ladybugs ordered from the Ali Express here, around 10 for two dollars isn’t bad. As far as these mites are concerned, I can see them with my eye, they appear to be little black dots on the underside of the leaves. I can squeeze them with my hands or napkin and they turn to a pile of brown goo, sometimes red.

At this point I just hope the ladybugs can stay in the tent, if they do get out they might become toys for my cat.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Amazon has 1500 for $10.

Spider Mites are hard to detect with the naked eye. I do pest checks whenever I have to go in to either water or do something in the tent. If I don't have any tent chores then I'll do a quick check just to make sure I catch it or any other issues early.

So....after you harvest and bleach your tent you need to think about using a set of safety and cleanliness protocols. I used to work at a few licensed grow operations in California so I learned them there but one of the cardinal rules of tent growing is NEVER bring in plant material that you're not sure has been treated for pests or that you can confirm is pest free. I've seen mites take down a room of plants within a weekend.

I get that some may not have the luxury of clone availability but it's safest if you grow from seed. Doesn't mean you won't get another infestation because they can enter your garden through your clothes or pets or whatever but, by far, the way they usually get in is through other plants. I try and enter my tent as little as possible to limit exposure and to not upset the environment they're thriving in.

Of course that's not to say that clones are bad but if you're going to grow from clones then you really need to source a trusted supplier. The site has a few very trustworthy suppliers. Trustfall is the one that comes to mind first. Check out his genetics. He can mail pretty much anywhere in the world(Except Ukraine or Russia for now! 😛 )

InsaneM

InsaneM

Amazon has 1500 for $10.

Spider Mites are hard to detect with the naked eye. I do pest checks whenever I have to go in to either water or do something in the tent. If I don't have any tent chores then I'll do a quick check just to make sure I catch it or any other issues early.

So....after you harvest and bleach your tent you need to think about using a set of safety and cleanliness protocols. I used to work at a few licensed grow operations in California so I learned them there but one of the cardinal rules of tent growing is NEVER bring in plant material that you're not sure has been treated for pests or that you can confirm is pest free. I've seen mites take down a room of plants within a weekend.

I get that some may not have the luxury of clone availability but it's safest if you grow from seed. Doesn't mean you won't get another infestation because they can enter your garden through your clothes or pets or whatever but, by far, the way they usually get in is through other plants. I try and enter my tent as little as possible to limit exposure and to not upset the environment they're thriving in.

Of course that's not to say that clones are bad but if you're going to grow from clones then you really need to source a trusted supplier. The site has a few very trustworthy suppliers. Trustfall is the one that comes to mind first. Check out his genetics. He can mail pretty much anywhere in the world(Except Ukraine or Russia for now! 😛 )
Thanks so much this is really useful info. It could be a numbers of things that brought in the spider mites. Actually now that I come to think of it, it could be when I was desperate for cannabis seeds, a friend gave me like 50 hemp seeds along with a three seedlings in the medium he had them in. When they were about three weeks old I noticed some webbing in these plants. I didn’t not know what they were at the time.

And that was when the bag seed became a seedling. I was also not aware that hemp cannabis was not the one you want to smoke.

I’m definitely going to clean everything after this grow and use new media for the grows following this. This is definitely a crappy situation to ever be in.

TSD

TSD

I’m definitely going to clean everything after this grow and use new media for the grows following this. This is definitely a crappy situation to ever be in.
We've all had unfortunate events happen in our grows, but they are usually the situations where you learn the most. You have to just try to be thankful for the knowledge and move forward to the next grow.
I grow outdoor so I just go into every season expecting shit to go sideways or be hard, then I'm pleasantly surprised when I have a good year and not as crushed when it all goes to hell lol. Low expectations = less disappointment (in growing and in life lol)
It comes with the territory. We can't control nature, so there's always variables that can throw a wrench in your grow.
That plant looks great for a first grow, minus the pests, you obviously have a green thumb, or real good beginners luck, so don't get too down on the situation, it's temporary, like everything. ✌️

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

We've all had unfortunate events happen in our grows, but they are usually the situations where you learn the most. You have to just try to be thankful for the knowledge and move forward to the next grow.
Couldn't agree with this more, had WPM wipe out my indoor grow twice, right in a row. Ive definitely learned a lot from it. One big one was,
dont go from outside plants to your indoor plants withiut a shower.

InsaneM

InsaneM

Couldn't agree with this more, had WPM wipe out my indoor grow twice, right in a row. Ive definitely learned a lot from it. One big one was,
dont go from outside plants to your indoor plants withiut a shower.
I grow outdoor so I just go into every season expecting shit to go sideways or be hard, then I'm pleasantly surprised when I have a good year and not as crushed when it all goes to hell lol. Low expectations = less disappointment (in growing and in life lol)
It comes with the territory. We can't control nature, so there's always variables that can throw a wrench in your grow.
That plant looks great for a first grow, minus the pests, you obviously have a green thumb, or real good beginners luck, so don't get too down on the situation, it's temporary, like everything. ✌️

I’m really glad I found this place, or I’d be a blind man trying to drive a car

TSD

TSD

A heads up on your lady bugs, turn them loose in the dark. For some reason they are more apt to stay in the area they were released in.
I imagine the leds are a bit overwhelming to them... I wonder if providing a few hiding spots and maybe a tiny water source would help keep them in the tent? Like an overturned pot propped open for some cover or something?

InsaneM

InsaneM

A heads up on your lady bugs, turn them loose in the dark. For some reason they are more apt to stay in the area they were released in.
Thats good to know, they will be arriving in about three to four days.
I imagine the leds are a bit overwhelming to them... I wonder if providing a few hiding spots and maybe a tiny water source would help keep them in the tent? Like an overturned pot propped open for some cover or something?
I will provide them with some water trays, I'm more scared of them falling into my carnivorous plants in the tent.

TSD

TSD

Thats good to know, they will be arriving in about three to four days.

I will provide them with some water trays, I'm more scared of them falling into my carnivorous plants in the tent.
My Venus fly trap looses an arm every time it eats a ladybug cause they're too hard to digest 🤣

InsaneM

InsaneM

My Venus fly trap looses an arm every time it eats a ladybug cause they're too hard to digest 🤣
I got a bunch of pitcher plants and two sundew plants. I could maybe save them from the sundews, but if they get in the pitchers they become nom nom for them.

I also received my seeds from Herbies today, great customer service and I would definitely buy from them again.

Got Bruce Banner #3, Gorilla Zkittlez, and Shiskaberry and Zkittlez, Amnesia Lemon, Candy Dwag as gifts. No more growing bag seed and trying to figure out what strain it is, although the stuff I've been getting is kind of good and I have 2 more seeds still.

S

Stonemason7767

We had had spider mites bad in my wife's house plants last year.they go from outside to inside every year, about 35 to 40 plants. Hit them with a alchol tea tree castle soap oil spray then bought about 100000 predator mites. My wife and kids made fun of me cause I had my head in the house plants for like a month with my loupe whatching the predator mites.fast aggressive little boogers,super fun to watch.no more spider mites.

S

Stonemason7767

The lady bugs will drown themselves if you leave a dish of water for them.just a wet paper towel or spraying the soil is enough. And if there is anything sticky in your tent like tape the will find it and stick themselves to it.i think they are suicidal.

InsaneM

InsaneM

We had had spider mites bad in my wife's house plants last year.they go from outside to inside every year, about 35 to 40 plants. Hit them with a alchol tea tree castle soap oil spray then bought about 100000 predator mites. My wife and kids made fun of me cause I had my head in the house plants for like a month with my loupe whatching the predator mites.fast aggressive little boogers,super fun to watch.no more spider mites.
Are predator mites bigger than spider mites? There's an vendor selling them but he couldn't ship them to me yet due to the temperature right now. I could see these spider mites on the leaves, squishing them when I see one, they are as big as (.) this little period, some smaller some larger. Usually when I squish them it leaves a brown gooey trail, sometimes red like a mosquito...
The lady bugs will drown themselves if you leave a dish of water for them.just a wet paper towel or spraying the soil is enough. And if there is anything sticky in your tent like tape the will find it and stick themselves to it.i think they are suicidal.
Oh crap, I do have a bunch of bug trapping tapes in there, I guess they have to come out once the ladybugs get here.

N

noweedjustorchid

looks like they are distributing barneys farm shiskaberry. im surprised to find that they claim 2000g outdoors, have only gotten that off a specific sativa, kwazulu.
I grow general perennials, houseplants and orchids. I use AzaMax and I’m broadening my use of it. Have only used on food crops that haven’t started to bear yet like strawberries in first year that I pull all the flowers to let get strength the next year. It is a highly purified neem product. I won’t use regular neem oil products etc because of phytotoxicity. Even AzaMax I use very late in evening so it’s dried off by the next morning.

People who have issues with it, say it won’t work I find when pushed, they are using it full strength, do one spray, etc. it only works for those bugs that suck or chew on the leaves — they have to take it up into their system and then it acts as an anti-feeding and it takes multiple days and you need to use it every 7-10 days to catch what is newly hatching until you see no more. I had mites, whiteflies and thrips come in on a large order of plants (100+j and on top had these crickets that were mine to begin with. I was over run with bugs had never ever had. I followed directions to the T and sprayed every 7 days for about month which included spraying all the turf and plants across the back yard. Just in case I did two last sprays 10 days apart. I didn’t see anything but wanted to hit a couple sprays on a slightly longer timing. And I did a cycle that late summmer / fall when I saw saw a baby crickets but nothing like prior. Last year encountered nothing. Will see how this year works out. And want to try on 1-2 tomatoes and squash as directed when first see eggs for brown marmotted stink bugs and see what happens. Should help with squash bugs too. Shall see.

Too many times people think they can spray one time or just a couple plants or if it rains they don’t respray. You have to read directions. If it says 7-10 days that’s what you do, if it’s multiple times until you don’t see any more, that’s what you do, if it says mix a surfactant or a crop oil — do that. Also pay attention to PPE equipment. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS. and surfactant doesn’t mean you use some toxic chemical grease cutting dish soap with or clothes cleaning soap that has dyes, oxidizers, brighteners, etc. — use an Agriculture surfactant, they are cheap and follow the directions. Some products call for making sure the pH of the solution is in a certain range. Some say you must keep solutions in constant agitation. If you can’t afford to buy decent surfactants meant for use with garden plants and can’t afford to buy pH meter or pH test strips or you can’t read — either get help with that or take up another hobby. It’s not worth your health, your families or neighbors, or the health of the environment to do it wrong. Everything you put on the ground - on plants and it runs off to the ground — ends up in the ground water, goes out to creeks, rivers, etc. and kills wildlife, fish and eventually you. Get it right!

N

noweedjustorchid

Are predator mites bigger than spider mites? There's an vendor selling them but he couldn't ship them to me yet due to the temperature right now. I could see these spider mites on the leaves, squishing them when I see one, they are as big as (.) this little period, some smaller some larger. Usually when I squish them it leaves a brown gooey trail, sometimes red like a mosquito...

Oh crap, I do have a bunch of bug trapping tapes in there, I guess they have to come out once the ladybugs get here.
You don’t want to kill regular ladybugs nor the predatory mites. Why would anyone want to drown the lady bugs? Their young devour aphids, and other nasties. And if you kill the beneficial, you will always be killing nasties. There are times you have to spray but use the least toxic, use it in evenings so it doesn’t affect bees, bumblebees, and other good insects. I like the AzaMax sprayed in late evening because it won’t bother the bees once dry and for the most point it works on killing those that chew, or suck on the plant’s leaves. And it has to be repeated every 7-10 days so it’s gone by then. I find it after 3-4 sprays of the whole area — it’s taken care of the bugs because it stops them from feeding so they starve. If concerned about pollen/nectar insects like bees and butterflies — I just pull the flowers before spraying for that month, month and half and I haven’t had to spray any longer and because I spray the entire lawn and all the plants — the nasties are gone. And don’t regenerate to cause a major problem. Keep your weeds and tall grass cut down and that helps a lot with pests.

On lady bugs, make sure it’s the bad ones called Asian lady beetle or Japanese lady bug (Harmonia axyridis). They bite, come into groups in your house, cause problems for your pets, excrete a nasty smelling liquid, and eat native lady bugs and they’re young. Their bite is allergic to some people and most dogs, the liquid, Hemolymph, is corrosive, and can cause chemical burns to the mouth and/or gastrointestinal tract. They are taking over native lady bugs.

Real native lady bugs don’t do any of these. Look up articles and figure out which is which. Here is an article and pictures to see difference. https://phl17.com/phl17-news/this-ladybug-look-alike-can-be-very-harmful-for-you-and-your-pets/

Top Bottom