My New Dwc Grow. First Timer

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RHINObeast

RHINObeast

The problem I have is that I have limited space so I have the branches are somewhat close to each other so for me to get the light down to the lower branches I might have to remove a lot of fan leaves
I would just rid the sucker leaves off the one in bloom, not all but some, start from top up and look down at it, that’s your best bet

DGP

DGP

Have you popped any of those CQ X CQ seeds? let me know if you do I'll be excited to see what you get:)

Dee

mikeb437

mikeb437

Have you popped any of those CQ X CQ seeds? let me know if you do I'll be excited to see what you get:)

Dee

Not yet. After this grow is finished, i’ll grow a couple of yours

V

V420

I am not the most experienced grower out there but I try to answer when I can cause I notice so many post get little response even mine.

I guess I have always just gone simple, 3 part hydro nutes, some ph down/up, some quality cal-mag, some ml graduated cylinders, some pipettes, an H&M ph meter and an H&M ppm meter. I did just buy a brix meter but that to me is an extra.

If you really love growing after a while you might want to invest in a chiller (~$275 on amazon). It is easier to use the ice method if you eventually build a simple recirculating system.

Dee

The are a few really good tutorial videos on YouTube for diy water coolers. Basically a mini fridge, garden hose and a few other things. YouTube has been quite helpful as well as these guys..Dee and Toaster79 know their shit and have helped me tons!

mikeb437

mikeb437

Plants have been doing great without the chiller. Im not going to bother at this point till i have a problem. And yes, these guys have been very helpful!

DGP

DGP

The are a few really good tutorial videos on YouTube for diy water coolers. Basically a mini fridge, garden hose and a few other things. YouTube has been quite helpful as well as these guys..Dee and Toaster79 know their shit and have helped me tons!

I looked at the mini fridge idea ( I have one sitting around) and it can be made to work but I was concerned about a controller that would keep the temp at 68 +- 2 degrees or so. After I looked at all the cost of the copper plumbing etc. and the unknown of temp controls I bought one. I am typically a DIY'r but this one had me a little spooked so I caved and paid the money for one.....

Dee

V

V420

It's my understanding that if the fridge has a thermostat built into it it's a good thing and you just need to play around with it until you get your ideal res temperature. But to each his own right whatever is easiest I like to make my own things too but if it's easier just to buy it I'm going to buy it!

Junk

Junk

One of many issues with DWC is cooling the nutes once plants and roots get big. How do you lift it up and hold it to replace frozen bottles? Also, how do you check pH and EC/PPMs daily? Add to this doing so disturbs the plant

After fighting that for a grow, I switched to F & D

See my sig for ideas
That's why rdwc imo. I tried it with individual buckets, it's pain. U can't scrog, u can't stake easily, it's a pain.

U need a control bucket imo. That's how I prefer it anyway.

Op, u should have a thermometer in a bucket. U need to know the temp.

What other input r u looking for?

Last edited:
mikeb437

mikeb437

I think the bush is a male. Checked it today and it looks like balls instead of pistils. It might be a day or two earlier to really tall but I want to make sure I get this out of the garden before it does damage to the other two plants

8E5A375E 7AF5 4DE6 90A3 98562B556FCF
D751C542 F0CC 46AC BBAD BBEB631F3236
9099367C 537F 4D6C AB98 CB2F1CCA3E54
A7BDDFD9 F858 4B67 AD1C 8CC2C4D97E4C
FD493CB8 A4D1 4826 AB6F 3CA89A67D263
4FEA2AB1 F904 45D3 83B1 B030DD9C6F6F
S

Stunt100

So I bought a tent, a carbon filter, I have 150W high-pressure sodium lamp and I’m doing the veg with 8- 2ft T5 florescent. Started giving my plant nutes about four days ago and the roots started popping out of the bottom of the 4” cube so I decided to stick it in the bucket and see what happens. Somebody gave me the seed so I don’t know if it’s a male or female but regardless, this is good experience for me.

DGP

DGP

What the hell temps. Are you guys getting in grow room l have been growing for 45 years and never had a use for one What temp are you growing at and why do you think you need one. Don't know where or how your growing. But I use 1000 watt hps for flower along with t5 s finish lamps and uvb
In a 5x6 room and need water temps at 68 or I get real bad root rot. If 5he room runs at 78 daytime I have no choice but to chill the water if I set the a.c. to 68 it's ok but then the plants grow slowly and aren't happy. Deep water needs water temps under 70....soil no.prob but dwc/rdwc yeah need cool water.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I love hydro, it's been good to me. I found I wasn't a very good soil grower bUT still do soil for my annual outdoor run.

Make sure to keep your water Temps under 70F and consider using a little H2o2 if you have trouble with the roots or bad bacteria build up. Some people like using various reservoir treatments like "Res UC" or "hydroguard" but for me H2o2 has been very reliable.

Good luck on your hydro adventure,

D

as long as H2O2 is 35% Food Grade, diluted 10:1 with pure water

FrenchOG

FrenchOG

More pics
That carbon filter ain’t going nowhere!!! Haha I’m a little late but grabbing a seat! Good stuff so far man!
No sorry that was probably misleading, I would say as it grows you trim up, I do it daily. Sometimes it’s good to let it go, but then you look at it one day and say yeah it needs a damn haircut
I also think you should defoliate as needed but IMO the least often the better! Rather take a little more, pull smaller fan leaves that eventually will be a problem in next few days rather than waiting and have to stress the plant AGAIN couple days later.

My plants were super leafy, I plucked 10 to 20 leaves every other day. I believe it slowed my veg a lot and I’ll try to keep the defoliation for once a week on my next run!

RHINObeast

RHINObeast

Not that I know everything but. I've never experienced rooting problems even at the tent being at 82. Is it the strain your growing. Maybe your nutes ? Not enough air ? Just sounds strange Been growing for 10 yr in dwc, 45 years all together. Is your tent and light not exhausted. Why do they need really cold water. To slow growth ? Just maybe trying to learn something. I don't mean in anyway to say I know more than you in any way
Roots uptake nutrients in dwc better at temps between 65-70. I personally am around 72 degrees, I see no difference. Your water temps are gonna sit lower than your ambient temps cuz of the shade your plant gives over the pot, so you say 82, may be more around 78 in your water. It’s easier to get away with with low feeds and simple set ups but the minute you go rdwc forget about it....

DGP

DGP

I ran standard single bucket DWC for a year or so and I got a harvest, had the plants do fairly well but I could always smell something a little off in the water. My roots were often brownish in color and some strands were even darker. Then I started using H202 from time to tiem and then added a chiller. Plants are now around twice as big and no brownish roots. So, not saying one cant succeed without temp control of the water But I have since realized I could have had low levels of Pythium or some other root related bacterial problem. Anaerobic bacteria are know to start thriving at 72F or higher and over time I have just observed that if I set my water temps to 68 or so everything gets better. I never killed a plant from root rot but saw a performance/yield hit from high water temps.

Also, most of the heat transfer to the water is conduction not radiation caused. Spent years doing water cooled product design and computational fluid analysis simulation and the water in a enclosure will be very close to the average temperature in a room given a little time. Insulating the buckets and keeping the reservoir in a coller space will help but if you res is in the room it will reach equilibrium with the room air given time. There can be some stratification of the air mass in the room but most growers have oscillating fans in them so eventually you reach equilibrium (notice i said average temp and not maximum).

I agree about nutrients, that is the higher the nute load the more you can feed the bad stuff if it gets started. There are some wicked nasties that can happen and form bio films on your airlines, air stones and inside of the buckets. If you don't ever have these issues then you are truly blessed as a grower.

Dee

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Hydro rules IMO. When I first started I could not believe it. My friends (close ) could not either. Thought I was fucking with them!

Ya, but when you decide to experiment as I did for a couple years, many of my harvests suffered. Im confident my new techniques will take it to another level

mikeb437

mikeb437

Day 30 of flower. Plant is looking good. I haven’t noticed it going any taller so I will be good as far is Heights from now on. Also the one bud that got too close to the HPS is recovering from getting burnt. I switched out the water today and the PPM’s are at 874 and the pH is 6.1 I know eventually I’m going to have to give more nutrients but I am not sure when people consider it in late flower mode. I noticed some of the smaller fan leaves up on top are getting some sugar on them and the buds are beginning to smell like the finished product. I’m thinking another month I might be picking this?? Idk.

C725E8B1 41BB 4D93 A84D 5B63DC5A7D22
8FCAE108 6EB7 4520 A77B A7065BACC434
CF2DC93E CE0C 42BF A206 71F81AFF8DEC
72FC0DF0 1699 4442 A98F 4B182BBB5D8F
DGP

DGP

Those buds are looking very nice, I am thinking they will swell a lot from here on out as the pistils turn more brown. Also at some point soon the calyxes should swell and look like they have seeds forming even though there are no seeds. Looks nice!

mikeb437

mikeb437

Those buds are looking very nice, I am thinking they will swell a lot from here on out as the pistils turn more brown. Also at some point soon the calyxes should swell and look like they have seeds forming even though there are no seeds. Looks nice!

I will keep a close eye on the progress. Im looking forward to learning more and watching the growth. I just sit and stare at these everyday. Lol. Love it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom