My purging process..

• Thread starter mikeb437
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Should i go for a stainless steel or pyrex? Best value vacs is within driving distance so im going there this next week sometime. My friend said he would split the cost of the unit since im making him oil all the time. Ive tried to do more research on making oil but this shit is so hard to understand with all the scientific data and jargin..

Thats a 2 part answer to 2 part question :p

The pyrex glass is for spraying your material INTO.. The stainless steel is so u can heat and vac at the same time.. You can NOT achieve this with just heating up a pyrex dish and running over to a plastic/hdpe and putting your dish in and trying to vac that way..

Its a simple process...

Step 1 get the pyrex

step 2. Blast all yer shit into pyrex

Step 3. Set pyrex on griddle on a LOW temp the griddle its self shouldn't reach past 120 the butane its self if read with a gun will read something like -30

Step 4. once most of the butanes gone put glass inside stainlesss steel vac chamber and put that chamber on the griddle and start the vac KEEP AN EYE on your product it will bubble up and over and out of that glass its still full of butane.. Pull a slight vac let the air out and repeat a cpl times till u can pull a full vac without your oil going over the sides.

Step 5. Scrape your oil from the pyrex and transfer to PARCHMENT paper... Once on parchment paper put THAT into your chamber making sure the bottom of the pot don''t read much higher then 80-90..

Step 6. Vac more! I personally leave my vac running for 20-30 mins at a time when doing runs i dont pull to a vac and stop i keep going. Once the main BIG bubbles are gone and all your seeing are tiny little decarboxy / terps boiling away you stop the vac at this point 90% of the moister and almost all of the butane should be remove giving you a nice clean clear product.

This will of course depend on varying factors.. indoor outdoor.. Age of the weed.. how old it was when it was pulled.. how it was cured... ect ect ect...

and properly made shatter is anything thats clean .. shatter can vary on its degree of how brittle it is from the most brittle being really void on flavor ( terps are oily ) Or you can have taffy which is still a shatter a pull and snap shatter..

There just names made up tho.. it don't matter in the end what you get as long as its clean and healthy to smoke. :D

One thing to remember tho the higher you heat and the longer you vac the more WANTED items your pulling out... terps boil and vape off at a very very low temp. Add a vac to that and the temps and time decrease..

I hate to say you just know when your oils done but after doing it for so long working with the same strains over and over ya kinda do get a sense of when the oils done how it behaves ect ect.. This really is not a pick it up and run with it over night kinda thing..

Looking back at some of my first oil runs i shudder to think of the shit i was smoking back then lol

J

juggo

I noticed best value doesn't use stainless,they have aluminum or pyrex,look closely at the description.There are some stainless chambers listed,but i have seen aluminum implode-crinkle up under vacuum.Can you tell me why pyrex wouldn't be suitable as a vacuum chamber?

thanks,
juggo

J

juggo

I take that back they do have stainless,pyrex,and aluminum.Obviously aluminum is out,so stainless is superior to pyrex because....safety,or possibly stainless is deeper giving the muffin up more vertical room?I am about to buy one of these any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
juggo

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Stainless with an acrylic lid is just what i went with.. if you can find a glass vaccume chamber cheaper and bigger then a stainless go ahead... but glass breaks.. id prefer not to have an item i could break just shuffling it around outside the garage floor ect.. Stainless just works for me :D

Oh and alot of pyrex you find now adays has a lip around the base of the glass prevents alot of items from being heated evenly properly ect.. A stainless steel chamber sits flat without a lip so it heats evenly..

Its really about temp controls here what works best for you.. if the glass has a completely flat bottom allowing you to put it on a heating surfice theres no reason you cant use it.. I just like using a glass dish inside a stainless steel chamber for ease of use .. i can control the temps easier take the oil out when i want put it on parchment and finish the job when i feel its ready ect..

No need to over complicate a pretty simple procedure ;D

J

juggo

Product Description 2-Gallon Chamber and Pump Kit
Aluminum Chamber: Strong and easy to clean 3/16 inch wall thickness. Solvent and heat resistant. Won’t implode like thin Stainless.
Now this seller is implying stainless implodes.....

I'm just gonna get the 1 1/2 gallon stainless chamber.
Thanks for the quick response,ordering and blasting today.

peace,
juggo

squiggly

squiggly

Go with the stainless in my opinion. Heating pyrex under pressure is no bueno.

If you go with the pyrex instead of directly applying heat I recommend tagging the shit with a heat gun in between purges.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Should be checking temps regardless of what chamber you use..

and its ebay everyones gonna imply everyones elses shit is weaker then theres.. sales are a bitch :D

J

juggo

Thanks Squiggly and Dabbie.Will be getting the stainless,i noticed thomson some ebay lister had a nicer heavy-duty manifold "Installation of Gauge, Vacuum Inlet and Shut Off Valve. You can see we use a machined Manifold and Backing Plate. Polycarbonate and Acrylic are too fragile to hold a thread under the continued lid flexing under vacuum" which made sense to me,however this unit comes with a 3/16 aluminum pot...I suppose i could replace it with a stainless...does that improved manifold even make a considerable difference in performance and longevity? Do dabs make me over-think everything?lol, decisions decisions...

Thanks again,
peace,
juggo

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Properly made.. i really hate when people use this term.. Whats properly made to 1 person could be bunk to another.. your asking opinion on method..

Properly made is when its void of the solvent you used to capture it in the first place and when you didnt boil off or vac off the terpenes :D

Time and Temp. Your gonna have to play around for a while till you figure it out.. theres sadly not a chart that says ok this strain likes to be at 95 no higher and this strain to get shatter cant go above 110.. ect.. You just have to run oil vac oil and repeat the process ALOT Till you become better at it :D

The only advice i got left is what ive already said before .. SkunkPharmResearch..... everyone else is just playing... You want results or even remotely close to what chemistry really is.. Skunkpharm....

Forums have there place don't get me wrong.. but when it comes to this subject theres only 1 place to turn :D

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Thanks Squiggly and Dabbie.Will be getting the stainless,i noticed thomson some ebay lister had a nicer heavy-duty manifold "Installation of Gauge, Vacuum Inlet and Shut Off Valve. You can see we use a machined Manifold and Backing Plate. Polycarbonate and Acrylic are too fragile to hold a thread under the continued lid flexing under vacuum" which made sense to me,however this unit comes with a 3/16 aluminum pot...I suppose i could replace it with a stainless...does that improved manifold even make a considerable difference in performance and longevity? Do dabs make me over-think everything?lol, decisions decisions...

Thanks again,
peace,
juggo

Yeah my lids like 3 inches thick and has been thru more then its fair share of work.. and abuse.... and has not cracked split dun jack shit but stay where its supposed to...

Theres guys on there that will sell the whole kit hoses lid pot everything you need just search dessicator chambers or bho chambers or vac chambers or whatever theres a bunch of people just find the one with the best feed back and lowest prices... if in doubt ask the forum or me if your choice of purchase before you make it is questionable or not :D

mikeb437

mikeb437

Thats a 2 part answer to 2 part question :p

The pyrex glass is for spraying your material INTO.. The stainless steel is so u can heat and vac at the same time.. You can NOT achieve this with just heating up a pyrex dish and running over to a plastic/hdpe and putting your dish in and trying to vac that way..

Its a simple process...

Step 1 get the pyrex

step 2. Blast all yer shit into pyrex

Step 3. Set pyrex on griddle on a LOW temp the griddle its self shouldn't reach past 120 the butane its self if read with a gun will read something like -30

Step 4. once most of the butanes gone put glass inside stainlesss steel vac chamber and put that chamber on the griddle and start the vac KEEP AN EYE on your product it will bubble up and over and out of that glass its still full of butane.. Pull a slight vac let the air out and repeat a cpl times till u can pull a full vac without your oil going over the sides.

Step 5. Scrape your oil from the pyrex and transfer to PARCHMENT paper... Once on parchment paper put THAT into your chamber making sure the bottom of the pot don''t read much higher then 80-90..

Step 6. Vac more! I personally leave my vac running for 20-30 mins at a time when doing runs i dont pull to a vac and stop i keep going. Once the main BIG bubbles are gone and all your seeing are tiny little decarboxy / terps boiling away you stop the vac at this point 90% of the moister and almost all of the butane should be remove giving you a nice clean clear product.

This will of course depend on varying factors.. indoor outdoor.. Age of the weed.. how old it was when it was pulled.. how it was cured... ect ect ect...

and properly made shatter is anything thats clean .. shatter can vary on its degree of how brittle it is from the most brittle being really void on flavor ( terps are oily ) Or you can have taffy which is still a shatter a pull and snap shatter..

There just names made up tho.. it don't matter in the end what you get as long as its clean and healthy to smoke. :D

One thing to remember tho the higher you heat and the longer you vac the more WANTED items your pulling out... terps boil and vape off at a very very low temp. Add a vac to that and the temps and time decrease..

I hate to say you just know when your oils done but after doing it for so long working with the same strains over and over ya kinda do get a sense of when the oils done how it behaves ect ect.. This really is not a pick it up and run with it over night kinda thing..

Looking back at some of my first oil runs i shudder to think of the shit i was smoking back then lol

So just blast into a pyrex dish. Heat on skillet till most of the tane is gone. Transfer to my slick pad and put that into the steel vac chamber. Put the steel chamber on the skillet and purge away? I just gotta make sure to keep the temps down under 100*? Basically?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
So just blast into a pyrex dish. Heat on skillet till most of the tane is gone. Transfer to my slick pad and put that into the steel vac chamber. Put the steel chamber on the skillet and purge away? I just gotta make sure to keep the temps down under 100*? Basically?

Im my opinion yes tho i would personally avoid the slick pad for purging and use parchment..its a personal preference tho after bad expereiences with them..

And when i say skillet i mean electric Griddle has a single male end that fits into the female end of the skillet giving you conductive heat from under the griddle.. No sparks no flames personally i avoid fans as just about every one of mine when u turn it on you can see a flash of orange from the inside motor / parts ect.

Just to make sure theres no confusion on what a griddle/skillet is :D no Ignition sources no flames no sparks nothing that can ignite the butane and in my opinion you'll be fine..

squiggly

squiggly

Agreed, skip the silpad. They don't play nice with the butane. Everything I can find says the parchment should be relatively safe. Worst case scenario is you're getting some benign waxes in with your stuff. The worst case with a silpad is, well, much worse.

But don't use a griddle. They do not have a sparkless design. They usually do not produce sparks but have no guarantee to that effect. Better safe than sorry. One spark = disaster.

Sorry Dabbie, I will follow you to the ends of the earth on this forum to combat that shitty advice. It's nothing personal, you're just wrong is all.

There's no good reason to apply direct heat to a pyrex dish while there are numerous good reasons not to. This really shouldn't even be done NEAR an electrical outlet of any kind if you can help it. If you just give the tray of butane some time, it will boil off on it's own.

For a beginner that's probably the best route to take, especially if you're not doing this in bulk and very often.

mikeb437

mikeb437

Got it! The owners of the company are 2 young guys. Very nice and very helpful in showing me everything they have to offer. They will be coming out with an oven soon!! The shatter vac comes in various sizes too!!

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Agreed, skip the silpad. They don't play nice with the butane. Everything I can find says the parchment should be relatively safe. Worst case scenario is you're getting some benign waxes in with your stuff. The worst case with a silpad is, well, much worse.

But don't use a griddle. They do not have a sparkless design. They usually do not produce sparks but have no guarantee to that effect. Better safe than sorry. One spark = disaster.

Sorry Dabbie, I will follow you to the ends of the earth on this forum to combat that shitty advice. It's nothing personal, you're just wrong is all.

There's no good reason to apply direct heat to a pyrex dish while there are numerous good reasons not to. This really shouldn't even be done NEAR an electrical outlet of any kind if you can help it. If you just give the tray of butane some time, it will boil off on it's own.

For a beginner that's probably the best route to take, especially if you're not doing this in bulk and very often.

Hot plates are not without there flaws either pal... Anything that you have to plug into an outlet is a source for ignition.. so really your splitting hairs again...

A hot plate can malfuction at the point of solder casing a short circuit inside and catching your rubber wires and other items on fire....

Anything can malfunction .. Thats like saying dont drive a car cause theres no gurentee your gas tank wont explode.. odds are it wont.. but you better be safe and just not drive a car period..

For a beginner its best to do things that are gonna produce results your happy with.. hot water baths do not do that clearly... Heat and vac do... End of conversation you can stalk me on the forum all you want im used to it from the days when nuggetry was actually worth hanging out at..

squiggly

squiggly

Hot plates are not without there flaws either pal... Anything that you have to plug into an outlet is a source for ignition.. so really your splitting hairs again...

A hot plate can malfuction at the point of solder casing a short circuit inside and catching your rubber wires and other items on fire....

Anything can malfunction .. Thats like saying dont drive a car cause theres no gurentee your gas tank wont explode.. odds are it wont.. but you better be safe and just not drive a car period..

You're right, anything can malfunction.

The point is that a griddle isn't even built to prevent ignition in the first place.

It is NOT splitting hairs to suggest that it's safer to use something intended for a particular, dangerous, job versus something which is not intended for that use. It's using sense.

To your analogy about cars. Sure, a gas tank can explode--but it's much more likely to do that if it's built out of shoddy materials and in such a way that didn't consider the risk factors for its possible explosion.

What I'm saying isn't akin to don't drive cars. It's more like saying don't drive a car that is shittily built with no standards and has a gas tank that is 1,000 times more likely to explode than a well built, easily accessible, car.

Moreover, it's saying don't do that ESPECIALLY when you've got this perfectly good car over here that doesn't carry the same inherent risk.

Also this:
hot water baths do not do that clearly... Heat and vac do...

Did we not just go over how there's no difference in the process in another thread?

Please provide an explanation for how a hot water bath differs from a griddle other than carrying an inherently lower risk. Do they not both impart heat? Is that not the purpose for which they are being used? I'm confused.

Nowhere did I suggest that a vac shouldn't be used. I, rather, suggested that a griddle *should not be*.

...and it shouldn't. Case closed.

Let's just call this what it is. You're doing it your way because it's faster and it hasn't backfired on you. When it comes to my fellow farmers, I'm not going to tell them to do something risky because it allows them to ease their impatience.

Last edited:
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Ok first im not gonna get into how a griddle and a bowl of water are 2 completely different things.. nor will i bother pointing out a decent made griddle is the same as a decent made car .. buy pos expect pos results..

Ok we can keep go back and forth all day if a griddle should or should not be used.. Ive used it for 2 years and will contiune for the next umteen years replacing only the plug in male heating element if it goes bad.. ( which ive had to one already ) No big kaboom.. Just fails to heat properly.. Baring exposed wires or something of the similar nature which one would clearly see theres no danger.. Im living proof of that.

Want a good one.. Presto is a good brand name.. I have 2.. :D

Case not closed.. im still using a griddle.. I''ll still suggest people use it :D And if my product vs a hater water bath could happen id be happy to go rounds all day long..

Lets just call it what it is.. Im doing it my way.. Cause thats my way.. its been proven to provide quality results and those who have tasted and tested vs others would agree.. Its not about how fast or slow i can get a batch done that really has no bearing on why i do things this way.. water baths are beyond un-even in temps there never maintainable. Its far to easy to over shoot your temps splash water in yer oil... So many batches ruined using water baths i cant even count how many people i know who have dropped the hot water bath in favor of a more direct heat source..

Tell people whatever you want.. there still gonna choose whatever they want..

I care 2 shits to the wind if people wanna use a water bath a blow torch or bubble bags its yer stash not mine :D

I was simply curious why.. was not really looking for an attack but thanks :D It gave me something else to do today besides buy a new chair and rearrange my entire basement :D

mikeb437

mikeb437

Theres more than one way to skin a cat my friends. Just agree to disagree and move on.. Either way can be the correct way if it works for you. Chill,,,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom