My seedling are not growing

• Thread starter budsofgeorgia
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
I was mulling over this while I wait for borderlands 3 to load witch is taking forever.

The medium has been used as you said well that means all the goodness has been used up

Yeah I get re useing it once it may still retain some still at some point it needs refreshing you can buy cheep organic stuff that will re freash it.

I honestly think if your not overwatering there only a few possibilities left

The soil needs refreshing or the seeds had little seed vigour there’s no real other explanation

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

I was mulling over this while I wait for borderlands 3 to load witch is taking forever.

The medium has been used as you said well that means all the goodness has been used up

Yeah I get re useing it once it may still retain some still at some point it needs refreshing you can buy cheep organic stuff that will re freash it.

I honestly think if your not overwatering there only a few possibilities left

The soil needs refreshing or the seeds had little seed vigour there’s no real other explanation
well the soil has been amended with gaia green so it has what it needs , plus on top of that most on here says a seed does not even need any nutrients or anything for first 2 weeks

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Seedling are 8 days old. They do not look like there growing how could I have messed up already
I used my soil from my last grow ,I amended it with Gaia green all purpose like I always do and watered the cups with 4 oz of water and dropped the germinated seeds in added 1 more oz of water 5 days later I weighed the cups and gave them 3 more oz of water my ppfd is around 300
Just growing roots, don't stress it ✌

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

after last night im convinced this grow is tainted/cursed , i was dropping some new beans in some solo cups i get 3 of them planted and then i knock 2 of the damn cups over i did have a bag over the cups so that did catch the soil but who knows where the seed is in the cup

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Still all that said at the back of my head I have this nagging feeling the soils become more compact making it harder on the roots slowing down the growth.
I agree. That doesn't mean the soil is bad, though. It just needs amendments to increase its porosity.

A few times I have pulled slow-growing seedlings to look at the roots. Every time there was poor root growth. There wasn't only one apparent cause, though. Mostly, it looks like compacted soil, but sometimes there were dry spots in the soil. Every time I was able to put the plants in different soil and grow them to maturity. At this point in my growing experience, I'm sure that root growth is a key factor for seedlings.

I think that's both true and not true. (I know. Difficult logic there.) It's true that the soil can become depleted. But it's also true that it can be revitalized. The challenge is to figure out how to revitalize it. I don't think a general purpose 4-4-4 fertilizer is enough. Other nutrients, like Mg, Ca and other micronutrients also need to be added. The key is to know which and how much.

Yeah I get re useing it once it may still retain some still at some point it needs refreshing you can buy cheep organic stuff that will re fresh it.
Agreed. Gardeners and farmers reuse soil for many years. So, soil can be reused.

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

I agree. That doesn't mean the soil is bad, though. It just needs amendments to increase its porosity.

A few times I have pulled slow-growing seedlings to look at the roots. Every time there was poor root growth. There wasn't only one apparent cause, though. Mostly, it looks like compacted soil, but sometimes there were dry spots in the soil. Every time I was able to put the plants in different soil and grow them to maturity. At this point in my growing experience, I'm sure that root growth is a key factor for seedlings.

I think that's both true and not true. (I know. Difficult logic there.) It's true that the soil can become depleted. But it's also true that it can be revitalized. The challenge is to figure out how to revitalize it. I don't think a general purpose 4-4-4 fertilizer is enough. Other nutrients, like Mg, Ca and other micronutrients also need to be added. The key is to know which and how much.

Agreed. Gardeners and farmers reuse soil for many years. So, soil can be reused.
the pro mix i use it does seem to get compacted a lot and i can assure you guys i have plenty of perlite mixed in the pro mix i use is made up of coco coir and sphagnum peat moss

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
the pro mix i use it does seem to get compacted a lot and i can assure you guys i have plenty of perlite mixed in the pro mix i use is made up of coco coir and sphagnum peat moss
I also said there could be other issues, like dry spots in the soil. Once I had a big clump of dry soil directly below the seedling. I'll never know how it got there. I learned to make sure the soil is uniformly moist and loose before starting before planting.

Most growers seem to agree that root growth is the priority for seedlings, so figuring out why the roots aren't developing is what needs to happen. The only way I know to get an idea of what's going on with the roots is to look at them. So, if you do decide to pull the plants, look at the roots and the soil near the roots. Maybe there'll be some useful information there.

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

I also said there could be other issues, like dry spots in the soil. Once I had a big clump of dry soil directly below the seedling. I'll never know how it got there. I learned to make sure the soil is uniformly moist and loose before starting before planting.

Most growers seem to agree that root growth is the priority for seedlings, so figuring out why the roots aren't developing is what needs to happen. The only way I know to get an idea of what's going on with the roots is to look at them. So, if you do decide to pull the plants, look at the roots and the soil near the roots. Maybe there'll be some useful information there.
well the soil does get so compacted by middle of flower IF i used one of those soil moisture prong meters you would have to force it in

Sensemilla

Sensemilla

Seedling are 8 days old. They do not look like there growing how could I have messed up already
I used my soil from my last grow ,I amended it with Gaia green all purpose like I always do and watered the cups with 4 oz of water and dropped the germinated seeds in added 1 more oz of water 5 days later I weighed the cups and gave them 3 more oz of water my ppfd is around 300
Those look good. Not much more than that should be happening at 8 days. Maybe try dropping the ppfd a little lower so they can stretch but those look great. I feed my seedlings everyday with light nutrients till run off and they seem to love it. Happy growing

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

The Cannabis Karen (I'm a Bytch)
Supporter
i have been reusing my soil 2 or 3 times i do not think that is an issue for me at least not yet maybe if i reused it 5 or more something like that
the plant pictured below is in the same used soil
it's sometimes a different story when it comes to seedlings. Damping off is a thing. Your parents can be strong enough to withstand subpar conditions (I am not implying your soil is bad) but a seedling, maybe not so much in such conditions. Fresh soil might be a better practice for them.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
well the soil does get so compacted by middle of flower IF i used one of those soil moisture prong meters you would have to force it in
Did I suggest you use one?

They can become difficult to push into the soil. I'm not sure soil compaction is the only reason, though. I suspect roots can get in the way, too. I think that because it can be hard to push in in one spot but not if I move it a little. So, I don't force it because I worry about damaging the roots.

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

Did I suggest you use one?

They can become difficult to push into the soil. I'm not sure soil compaction is the only reason, though. I suspect roots can get in the way, too. I think that because it can be hard to push in in one spot but not if I move it a little. So, I don't force it because I worry about damaging the roots.
you might have but i going from past experience when i DID have one and i did post a video on here about it

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

and for my soil it very well could be but it is reused but i did mix a new bag with the used soil and i amended , i was going to throw it away after this run anyway

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

but really if you looked at my last 3 or 4 grows at this stage my seedling were bigger then the cup

budsofgeorgia

budsofgeorgia

day 15
IMG 20240324 185555137
IMG 20240324 185558636
IMG 20240324 185606983

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
33 days from seed, I purposely kept it as small as I possibly could for fun

20240323 211509