Need some help! Can't figure it out

• Thread starter Namder
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I watched this congress hearing today about a new restorative agriculture bill. Some guy from California used the term Plant Bio-Stimulants, as encompassing term for what you call bio-cides and inoculants. I like that term a lot. Plant Bio-Stimulants.
Personally, I think there's 2 distinct groups of microbes. Some are plant stimulants others are bio-cides. They aren't really the same. However, it looks like you've drawn much the same conclusion I had when I last saw his plants. Some root damage.

The good news is cannabis is pretty hardy and once the environment is fixed so the watering can be dialed in, the root system will improve and the plant can be healthy again. It's been a long haul for him I think.

@Namder what was the moisture reading towards the middle of the pot in the lower 1/3rd like we were talking about yesterday.

Air pots - I have some. My wife and I have drawn the conclusion that we should switch back to fabric pots. Air pots are very difficult to get the watering down, and like you've stated once in them, they stay until the grow is done.

P.S. your probe says its time to water anyway. Yes, water from the bottom this time. You shouldn't have to do it more than a time or 2 though so don't make it your regular practice.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I have watered with just water on 2 occasions since but yes i fed them, they had a massive growth spurt then the wilting started. So just been so puzzled. Going to water them again tomorrow from the bottom. What dya think? Anything i can do to help aid?
Patience will aid them the most. Don't try to do too much. If you watered today, tomorrow is way too soon and bottom feeding is something that cannabis over the long haul doesn't like.

N

Namder

Poke a hole in the bottom 1/3 area of your pot and measure. I see progress. Pot does look dry but is it in the middle under the roots? Let us know what you find.

P.S. Your environment readings are much better today too.
All looking dry, but i havnt had the chance to action the above yet. Only from what my friend has shown in the most recent photos.

Looking to possibly repot and water this weekend. Any advise of what i can do? Will take some photos of the process for sure. Get a good look at the root structure.

N

Namder

Patience will aid them the most. Don't try to do too much. If you watered today, tomorrow is way too soon and bottom feeding is something that cannabis over the long haul doesn't like.
They have been watered but i dont think alot. Need to have a proper look tomorrow.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

All looking dry, but i havnt had the chance to action the above yet. Only from what my friend has shown in the most recent photos.

Looking to possibly repot and water this weekend. Any advise of what i can do? Will take some photos of the process for sure. Get a good look at the root structure.
When was the last time you watered? The probe says they needed it so I hope that's what you did.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

They have been watered but i dont think alot. Need to have a proper look tomorrow.
Cannabis doesn't like "partial waterings" either. The correct procedure is to thoroughly water and then allow the plant to dry back before watering again. Over watering actually means watering too often.

N

Namder

Cannabis doesn't like "partial waterings" either. The correct procedure is to thoroughly water and then allow the plant to dry back before watering again. Over watering actually means watering too often.
Ok Gotcha. I will double check what has been done and see what is needed tomorrow. Thank you for the heads up :)

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Ok Gotcha. I will double check what has been done and see what is needed tomorrow. Thank you for the heads up :)
Drench them good when you water. Let them dry back. You're in 5 gallon fabric pots? If so, with a DIALED IN environment, they will dry back in 3 days ... 4 days at most. Of course this depends on other variables too but it should give you an idea what frequency they should be watered.

Next grow, more perlite. As @Glomus pointed out, vermiculite will help in feeding of the plant through cat-ion exchange. So a little of that would be good too. There's something else you can do but it works best if you start when the plant is a seedling (but stop once the plant is flowering) "Silica." It also will help protect the root zone.

Edit: I see the link I thought I posted yesterday isn't posted ... here it is: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/new-simplified-way-to-water.131476/

Last edited:
N

Namder

Drench them good when you water. Let them dry back. You're in 5 gallon fabric pots? If so, with a DIALED IN environment, they will dry back in 3 days ... 4 days at most. Of course this depends on other variables too but it should give you an idea what frequency they should be watered.

Next grow, more perlite. As @Glomus pointed out, vermiculite will help in feeding of the plant through cat-ion exchange. So a little of that would be good too. There's something else you can do but it works best if you start when the plant is a seedling (but stop once the plant is flowering) "Silica." It also will help protect the root zone.

Ok that sounds good.

My friend said the below:
No run off at all, I just watered the top of the pot for about 30 seconds. Still showing dry on the moisture meter.

I think he is trying to keep the soil alive more than anything.

Dya think i can get away with a full watering tomorrow?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Ok that sounds good.

My friend said the below:
No run off at all, I just watered the top of the pot for about 30 seconds. Still showing dry on the moisture meter.

I think he is trying to keep the soil alive more than anything.

Dya think i can get away with a full watering tomorrow?
The plants would prefer that it be completed today. 30 seconds? You got to be kidding me. 5 gallon pots are going to need roughly a gallon of water ... maybe 1.25 gallon ... watered in slowly making sure that the whole soil is evenly moistened. You can't do that in 30 seconds.

I'm thinking you should be the one taking care of them from this point forward.

N

Namder

The plants would prefer that it be completed today. 30 seconds? You got to be kidding me. 5 gallon pots are going to need roughly a gallon of water ... maybe 1.25 gallon ... watered in slowly making sure that the whole soil is evenly moistened. You can't do that in 30 seconds.

I'm thinking you should be the one taking care of them from this point forward.
Ah bless, no my fault entirely. They are following my lead on this (never looked into indoor growing nuch before i suggested we fo it), and they are a worried as much as i am (both growing for medicinal reasons and lack of finance to purchase from others) so think looking how dry they were, just took the decision before i can get over there to sort it out.

Will need to PH the water for them and water just like you said. We unfortunately are working with what we have, but with you and the other people on this forums help, slowly making progress in the right direction.

The extention is being fast tracked and the tent is being moved hopefully in a more stabil enviroment in the next month before the temp drops for winter. Mostly based on the infornation you guys have provided.

Hopefully we can get these to flower and the time and money spent will all be worth it.
Will definitely owe a splee or 2 to someone round here lol

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I also would not be pH'ing the water in a soil grow. It sounds like the right thing but its a hydro/coco thing and shouldn't be done in soil. It frequently causes more problems than it solves. Most professional potting mixes are already well-buffered and extra chemicals upset that balance.

N

Namder

I also would not be pH'ing the water in a soil grow. It sounds like the right thing but its a hydro/coco thing and shouldn't be done in soil. It frequently causes more problems than it solves. Most professional potting mixes are already well-buffered and extra chemicals upset that balance.
We use spring water, with a RO filter. Naturally 5.7 - 5.8ph. I use biobizz ph up to get it to read 6.2, should i not be doing this?

So much conflicting info out there its hard to establish a correct route. I guess this where experience comes into play

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

We use spring water, with a RO filter. Naturally 5.7 - 5.8ph. I use biobizz ph up to get it to read 6.2, should i not be doing this?

So much conflicting info out there its hard to establish a correct route. I guess this where experience comes into play
I wouldn't bother with RO at all. I have one and I disconnected the RO stage of my filter and use the carbon and sediment filter only. I'm doing that because my water is extremely alkaline out of the tap and I brew teas. Teas don't respond well to chlorine. However, soil can handle chlorine in normal amounts without upsetting the microbe populations.

Edit: I've never used biobizz. I'm not really able to answer that question. My gut instinct is not in soil but I don't know the product so someone else will have to answer that.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
What I would’ve done a long time ago Is get an inch of air space underneath those pots. The ridges on those drain pans aren’t cutting it.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

What I would’ve done a long time ago Is get an inch of air space underneath those pots. The ridges on those drain pans aren’t cutting it.
That's been mentioned several times. It wasn't the only thing up side down but it's a critical thing to do to get things back upright. You're 100% right.

I use a simple plastic plant elevator. They were a couple dollars a piece and I have purchased them at both Grow Generation and HTG Supply. Even cooling racks for baking would work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom