Need some life advice on growing...

• Thread starter jimbobthe3rd
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jimbobthe3rd

Hi guys, ive been growing by myself for the last 2 years in rental properties, never really hitting it big, just small-med sized gardens that have kept me living comfortably.

I have a girlfriend and we want to get married & have kids in the next 2-3 years, ive been with her for 5 years now. I was planning to do some serious growing in the next 1-2 years to setup and prepare our future. We've just bought a house with large sheds & land, and the mortage repayments are 2500$ a month.

I have invested all of my savings into buying the house, so now im literally left with perhaps 13k coming from a garden im harvesting currently.

The above information is relevant to the advice i need from some of you senior members here on the farm.

I have a personal friend who owns a hydro shop, and he's put forward a proposal to me, he will supply me with hydro equipment to fully gear up four 18x600 rooms, (he equates it to be about 40-50k worth of equipment) and pay my mortage repayments until the 1st harvest then i have to pay him back for the mortage payments but i get to keep the equipment at the end of the deal. But i have to pay for the electrical work (2-3k), i have to pay for the building of the rooms i.e. timber/mdf etc (4-6k). And he says the deal is he is to get 50% of all the rooms for 5 harvests. We're planning on atleast harvesting 100lbs per cycle between the 4 rooms. I know he is taking slight advantage of me.

The question i pose, should i go to my new house, and struggle for the first 3-4 months only putting up a single 12x600 room, but then afterwards setting up bigger for myself. Or do i take his offer, and start hitting the big bucks straight away? I'm thinking about the situation alot, and it would be very comfortable to take his offer, and not have to worry about the bills and buying equipment etc, but for his 50k investment, he's getting return 600k+ off me over the 1.5-2years i'd have to give him half for.

I know it's not specifically growing advice, but rather life advice, i myself am young (23), but plan to grow only for the next couple of years to make life for myself and my partner financially comfortable.

Any advice at all related, would be greatly appreciated!

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

If it were me, I'd probably struggle thru the first few months/year, then buy all the equip myself. For all the risk you'd be taking, you should at least get to enjoy the perks. The idea of giving away a year or two's time and over a half mil in profits, to someone else, doesnt sound that great to me. Plus after the first few harvests hes repaid and you have to continue taking risks just to give him his cut. I'd struggle.

J

jimbobthe3rd

Yea, im leaning towards what you're saying PDX, i mean the guys a multi multi millionaire, and he only got there from screwing people over like he would be doing with me lol.

Another thing i was thinking of doing, is just telling him i want to only do one 18 light room with him (instead of 4), then after the 1st harvest setup the other 3 rooms with my cut of the 1st one, then i am not paying him out nearly as much, and it's sort of a midway point, what do you think of that?

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Are You Kidding

I'll buy you the equipment if you'll give me 1/2 of your 1st 5 harvests. That fuck is trying to retire off of his 40,000- 50,000$ which in reality cost him less than 20,000$. Don't get greedy like the hydro dude, you need to work up to a bigger and bigger rooms learning the idiosyncrasies of each room. Taking your time is the way to go, and remember loose lips sink ships. Hope all is well with you and yours, take care

mal

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

It's always best 2 do it ur Damn self.. No need 4 a partner

jagle

jagle

indeed i agree with everyone here, that guy isnt gonna give a shit, he gets caught he isnt going down you are, wouldnt trust me, and his cut is very unfair. tell him to walk, set one room up yourself, let it pay for the next and so on

J

jimbobthe3rd

Thanks for the advice guys, I really wanna do it by myself, the only thing making me even think about his offer is the initial setup costs and mortgage payments, it is doable but I'll be eating tinned food for 3 months lol. If I could work out a shorter deal with the guy like only 2 or so harvests would any of you reconsider?

jagle

jagle

no its the other element of the grow that you cant control, what stops this guy talking?

is there anyway you can grow in a cheaper place? or try stretch the payments out longer? get a larger initial loan? i mean id rather suffer for 6 months then pay this guy almost half a mil, and i dont even earn a millionth of that haha

T

tattoojim

It's always best 2 do it ur Damn self.. No need 4 a partner

i hate to say it but i did the same thing but on a smaller scale and wouldnt you know it ,when it came time to turn the room full of gear over to me. wow i walked away with not shit...thank god that i trimmed dried and jarred the final run for him cause i made it all back up in the end. i have one buddy i would consider partnering up with and he is a 25 year vet to growing,and its doughtful he will ever partner up....i have around 3000$ in a 2k set up and im gonna try to add another 2k when i harvest this run. if you do the math you can almost double your gear each harvest. first buy in hurts but its worth it in the end when you look at all them girls, you bitchs are all mine...:bong2:

sky high

sky high

No partners.

And I hate to tell ya...but life is long...and making even a large sum is gonna only take you through a short time when kids and homes and real >>>>>responsibility<<<<<< comes into play. RENTING someone else's house to grow in is a different story than owning the house yerself....especially if you are in a non-med state (and you must be if there's any REAL money left in this game for you)

I don't laugh all that much thes days...but I DO laugh everythime I hear a 20-30-40-50 year old taking abou growin enough to never have to work a real job.

And who is paying to retain the attorney? Bes' get on that one either way.....

stay small....get a real job and do this on the side. If you are gonna have a fam it's time to grow up....

Been there, done that.......was STILL broke and didn't sleep for years....

s h

dankworth

dankworth

If you want to optimize results, go with 1ks, not 6s. Less ballasts/reflectors/lamps/cords in your way. Mag ballasts first, then digis as you can afford them. Keep your glass clean.
Buy digilux lamps at plantlightinghydroponics for 60something dollars apiece with shipping More weight produced than a hortilux.
Super sun 2 reflectors are very efficient and affordable, especially if you can buy them used.
Use trellises to manage your canopy as efficiently as possible.
Keep your nighttime temps as close to daytime temps as possible for the most weight(except at the end of flower, nights in the 60s lead to more frost and sometimes color).
Coco/perlite hempy buckets can bang out lots of high quality results with handwatering every 2-3 days. Heavy on the perlite. CNS-17 is a cheap and easy 1-part nutrient. Be sure to get the soil/coco formula (3-1-2 and 2-2-3)
Use the infamous MOAB/hammerhead combo last 2 weeks of feeding for weight gain.
Don't forget your silica if you do not grow in soil. And you should not grow in soil, if you are talking about getting paid.
Learn about vapor pressure deficit. Plants in veg rooms with higher rh's veg substantially faster. We get paid to flower, not to veg.
CO2 will help later. Maybe think about a sealed room w/co2 when you are going to do a 4k run. But move towards sealed rooms eventually.
If you are trying to figure out how to generate more results with the same equipment initially, build an room or a tent that is ventilated and light-tight. Double up on your specimens. Unplug all the timers in your flowering room. Run lights 24 hours a day. Every 12 hours on the dot for 2-3 months, you will have to
1. Take specimens out of flowering room, put them on the floor.
2. Take specimens out of ventilated light-tight room, where they just slept for 12 hours, and put them in the flowering room
3. Take specimens off of floor and put them in the dark room for their 12 hour shift.
4. Repeat 12 hours later.
Then you will get 2 crops to harvest. Then you will have your money up for reinvestment in equipment.
Get a home depot card. Find out when the no interest for 6 or 12 months is, get your reflectix with that.
Buy an 8" blower fan from harbor freight, jimmy a 10" to 8" duct reducer to the back of it, put it on a speed controller. For a little over $100, you can pull up to 1600 cfms like this. If it is too loud, build an insulated box for it to fit in or get some Dynamat. Use this for an exhaust fan. Or just get 8" duct boosters from home depot to exhaust with. Quieter, lighter, pulls maybe 300 cfms unless boosted, $35-40 apiece.
Use drip clean if you work with coco.
Buy Pond Protector from carefree/ips for your enzymes, use @15ml/100 gallons.
Use IBA (look up the thread here) to blow your roots the hell up for $5-10 at home depot. It will shorten your veg and therefore your total cycle time.
Buy molasses, humic, kelp, alfalfa, and worm castings from a farm supply or regular ag place. Then use that stuff to make teas. Teas rock. Look them up. They will gain you weight.
Buy as little in the way of fertilizer or supplements as possible from the grow store.
Make every damn thing in your flowering room reflective. Keep reflective walls as close to the canopy as possible.
Approach everything from the perspective of optimizing plant health. Try to make it the best day of summer every day for them. They will reward you with weight.
Give up expensive or time-consuming hobbies for a while. Your new hobby is reading THCfarmer to learn from other people as much as possible.
Get the $45.00 Hanna ph meter. Cheap, well-made, and hella accurate.
Get the cheap (whatever the price is) TDS meter from HM digital. I think I paid $30 2 1/2 years ago. It has been a tank for me.
Get the $15.00 infrared temp gun from harbor freight. Use that for temps.
You can get the perlite and coco from home depot for hempy buckets. Be sure to bake and rinse coco.
When you can, get a dedicated veg area with a 1k MH. You can use it for moms, veg, cloning even if you keep the tray far enough from the light. Saves money on T5s.
Get fast veggers, something with OG in it if you can help. Your job is to fill up that screen/trellis as fast as possible. You can flower earlier with a cultivar like that and let the 2-3 weeks of stretch fill in the screen.
Work towards coco/perlite mixes in porous containers watered by timer 4-12 times a day to keep coco at the saturation rate that creates the best growth.
Look up "Janus's treatise on growing" on this site.
Vert is tempting and all, but flat gardens are generally easier to work with.
If I could do it all over, I would have gone as big as I could as early as possible, while still managing risk in an appropriate fashion. I would have got while the getting was good and be on a beach by now.
This is operation jimbobthe3rd's pocket. That dude is prioritizing operation that dude's pocket.
He will come at you with unannounced bullshit if you work with him. He will have a sense of ownership and entitlement that are unwarranted. He is a huge security risk. He is a bigger fish in the pond. He will draw heat if he hasn't already.
Find the successful examples on the farm in terms of gardens, and see what they did to succeed.
Optimized environments have more to do with productivity than any gimmicky product.

Sorry I am so long-winded. I get paid by the word. And I was 23 when I caught the growing bug. Be sure to ask for advice before you spend a lot of money on a setup, lots of people to ask for help here.

Oh and that girl who is down to hang out with your criminal Peter Pan ass when the classic role of ladies is to value security over freedoms? She is cool shit. Not a lot like her around. Try to keep her happy. And they will forgive a lot if they see the money.

Beats waiting tables.

S

swisscheese

I have personally been in a similar situation on a smaller scale and can't decide what to tell you other than never split shit that's at your house no matter the circumstances. It's your house. It's your risk. The electric is in your name. It's your ass on the line if something goes south.

Don't let GREED get in the way of COMMON SENSE.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Run as fast as you can away from that deal and slam the door behind you with authority...

If you take that deal I can absolutely guarantee you will fail, fight and argue with your partner, dodge the threat of them callin the police on you in order to grab all their gear back and pretty much at the end you will have no gear, no meds, and no since of security at all...these kinds of partnerships really only turn out one way....BAD!!

Tex

ttystikk

ttystikk

...and now, to make it unanimous, NO PARTNERS! I had one once- I took all the risk and he walked away with the profits when I got 'the knock.'

If it's your grow, then you're the only one messing with it, so it's your baby, good or bad.

You won't be making big money right away, but if it's your house, then you will be able to keep all the money you do make, and the experience will be priceless.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

No risk No reward(No partners either!)eat the canned food for a run or two then eat steak from there on out!

Reactions: mal
P

paperplane

Hi guys, ive been growing by myself for the last 2 years in rental properties, never really hitting it big, just small-med sized gardens that have kept me living comfortably.

I have a girlfriend and we want to get married & have kids in the next 2-3 years, ive been with her for 5 years now. I was planning to do some serious growing in the next 1-2 years to setup and prepare our future. We've just bought a house with large sheds & land, and the mortage repayments are 2500$ a month.

I have invested all of my savings into buying the house, so now im literally left with perhaps 13k coming from a garden im harvesting currently.

The above information is relevant to the advice i need from some of you senior members here on the farm.

I have a personal friend who owns a hydro shop, and he's put forward a proposal to me, he will supply me with hydro equipment to fully gear up four 18x600 rooms, (he equates it to be about 40-50k worth of equipment) and pay my mortage repayments until the 1st harvest then i have to pay him back for the mortage payments but i get to keep the equipment at the end of the deal. But i have to pay for the electrical work (2-3k), i have to pay for the building of the rooms i.e. timber/mdf etc (4-6k). And he says the deal is he is to get 50% of all the rooms for 5 harvests. We're planning on atleast harvesting 100lbs per cycle between the 4 rooms. I know he is taking slight advantage of me.

The question i pose, should i go to my new house, and struggle for the first 3-4 months only putting up a single 12x600 room, but then afterwards setting up bigger for myself. Or do i take his offer, and start hitting the big bucks straight away? I'm thinking about the situation alot, and it would be very comfortable to take his offer, and not have to worry about the bills and buying equipment etc, but for his 50k investment, he's getting return 600k+ off me over the 1.5-2years i'd have to give him half for.

I know it's not specifically growing advice, but rather life advice, i myself am young (23), but plan to grow only for the next couple of years to make life for myself and my partner financially comfortable.

Any advice at all related, would be greatly appreciated!

First off congrats on the house. 2nd I would stay solo. Do it all yourself and be a self made man. The ones who make the cash fast do not last. Sounds like you are doing okay already. You were able to save enuff to buy a house. Dont get to greddy bro, its about living comfortable under the radar. IMO the rooms you are planning on building is to much. I think you would be doing too much. If I were you use the equipment you have. Maybe ask your buddy for a payment plan on 2 more light set ups. Becareful there were a few hydro shop in my area that are being investigated for the same stuff. Owner financing hella grows all over. I gues what im saying is dont get to greedy! but good luck on what ever you choose

Top Bottom