Neem oil is killing my plants

• Thread starter space101
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kygiacomo

Kygiacomo

old thread but thought i would post my experience from 2 days ago. i went to drench neem,protekt and aloe on my plants bc i had read about so many ppl saying it burns in light.. i had it in a 32oz spray bottle bc its handy to carry on my 4wheeler and before i knew it i had done sprayed 3 of the plants down at around 8:45 am and the sun was already shining. i thought fkk now im gonna lose these 3 bc there is no way i can get that oil back off my little babys. i said fk it and finished watering the plants. the temps has been in the high 80s to low 90s all this week with full sun everday. i went back this morning to check on them and to my surprise they was thriving with new green growth. im just wondering how i come i didnt burn the plants like so many posts i have read on multi fourms did with just indoor lights? i use Ahisma neem products if that matters since they are the absolute highest Azadirachtin in it that i can find at 4500 ppm

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It may well matter, and my experience with plants burning has been with JMS, bottom of the tank, wasn't mixed well. And in that scenario you'd have been right--it CANNOT be washed off.

Also, maybe the aloe might have mitigated any burning effects. I used to use it when nursing to heal myself from those repeated injuries, and always use it for burns.

Kygiacomo

Kygiacomo

It may well matter, and my experience with plants burning has been with JMS, bottom of the tank, wasn't mixed well. And in that scenario you'd have been right--it CANNOT be washed off.

Also, maybe the aloe might have mitigated any burning effects. I used to use it when nursing to heal myself from those repeated injuries, and always use it for burns.
hmm i didnt even think about that Seamadien. i also use aloe for burns all the time as well. sunburn,stove burns etc, that has to be the reason i bet. i still want to take precaution and wont be spraying it on the plants like that again. i will go to my plots right when the sun is going down so that will give them plenty of time to soak in and dry. i do know that insect frass,neem,protekt and aloe has made huge growths on my plants in the past 7 days. they have went from being about 1 inch tall to around 8-9 inches and im loving what im seeing and will continue the regime ever 7-10 days. pic #1 is my biddy early the day of transplant at my plot,pic#2 is 4 days later and the #3 was today.

Biddy at TP
Biddy at 4 days
Biddy today
D

donsogman

old thread but thought i would post my experience from 2 days ago. i went to drench neem,protekt and aloe on my plants bc i had read about so many ppl saying it burns in light.. i had it in a 32oz spray bottle bc its handy to carry on my 4wheeler and before i knew it i had done sprayed 3 of the plants down at around 8:45 am and the sun was already shining. i thought fkk now im gonna lose these 3 bc there is no way i can get that oil back off my little babys. i said fk it and finished watering the plants. the temps has been in the high 80s to low 90s all this week with full sun everday. i went back this morning to check on them and to my surprise they was thriving with new green growth. im just wondering how i come i didnt burn the plants like so many posts i have read on multi fourms did with just indoor lights? i use Ahisma neem products if that matters since they are the absolute highest Azadirachtin in it that i can find at 4500 ppm

Not experienced in outdoor grow, but very indoors under 1k HID lighting. Water lingring on the leaves during light on defiently has a strong chance of leaf burn/necrosis as the water acts as a magnifying glass on the leaves and intensefy the light in turn burns the leafs. Neem oil works but personally i do not like it at all. I do not like coating leaves with such a thick oil. I know you wash it off during night but it is a pain to get all oil off. if you do not get straight to it and the oil is on the leaves for a short time it creates a barrier which partically suffocates the plant. I personally like a hot pepper organic spray. no need to wash off and many brands also have beneficial nutrients/additives that is great as a foliage spray. I also believe that the hot pepper spray controls the spidermites better if you have to fight them or just a good deterant. If you do have a mite issue indoors in a sealed room. Increase the co2 ppm to approx 10000ppm yes 10000ppm but the co2 at that level for 5 minutes will kill all mites. Do not breathe that ppm of c02 at all as it is very harmful to humans at that level. may not help many but just my 2 cents from an indoor grower of 10 plus years.

Kygiacomo

Kygiacomo

i have reading about soil drenchs and i believe that is the way forward for me and neem oil. i hate the smell of it myself but the bugs outdoors here where i am are insane so i have to use something. i found some good studys regarding neem and soil drenching it. it lasts up to 45 days with a soil drench and water does not affect it that way. the water on the leaves must be indoors bc ever morning we have really heavy dew that the sun always hits mine and drys it right up. thanks for the feedback donsogman

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My experience with JMS is that even under fluorescent lighting, even overnight under NO lighting, if it's not well mixed, it'll burn the shit out of the plants.

Consider other plant essential oils here, too. Things like rosemary, when emulsified, can offer some protection from things like spider mites. And if you're not, you should consider adding Spinosad (applied in the evening!) and Bt sprays here as well.

Kygiacomo

Kygiacomo

My experience with JMS is that even under fluorescent lighting, even overnight under NO lighting, if it's not well mixed, it'll burn the shit out of the plants.

Consider other plant essential oils here, too. Things like rosemary, when emulsified, can offer some protection from things like spider mites. And if you're not, you should consider adding Spinosad (applied in the evening!) and Bt sprays here as well.
how good is JMS for bud rot prevention SM? i do have some sierra natural science 244c that i plan on using this year during weeks 1-2 of flower for prevention,along with regalia and actinovate

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not suitable at all for bud rot prevention. I would have... oh crap.. Is it Sonata? Go search Blaze's posts.. Mycostop? Fuck, I can't remember what it's called!

Bud rot can be caused directly by a fungus, or indirectly due to caterpillars hatching in the bud, then they eat their way around, crapping in it the whole time, and that will lead to rotting. Cats can be prevented by alternating treatments of Spinosad and Bt caterpillar spray weekly, and I always suggest this to all OD growers in any event because seeing your best colas go to those things post-harvy seriously sucks.

That sort of thing happens to me almost every year, on the very top colas I can't quite reach. But bud rot due to RH/moisture is not something I've had to deal with, which is why I suggest searching Blaze's posts.

Kygiacomo

Kygiacomo

Not suitable at all for bud rot prevention. I would have... oh crap.. Is it Sonata? Go search Blaze's posts.. Mycostop? Fuck, I can't remember what it's called!

Bud rot can be caused directly by a fungus, or indirectly due to caterpillars hatching in the bud, then they eat their way around, crapping in it the whole time, and that will lead to rotting. Cats can be prevented by alternating treatments of Spinosad and Bt caterpillar spray weekly, and I always suggest this to all OD growers in any event because seeing your best colas go to those things post-harvy seriously sucks.

That sort of thing happens to me almost every year, on the very top colas I can't quite reach. But bud rot due to RH/moisture is not something I've had to deal with, which is why I suggest searching Blaze's posts.
ive read all the horror storys of the Cats. we dont have that issue here in my state thank god! i do have BTI spray that i use at first to put in the soil bc the place i live is a bunch of farmland and have fungas gnat galore around here. humidity here from june thur end of sept stays 90-100%. strain choice is crucial for me to prevent this. i have about 4 products this year on hand that i will use to try and prevent that fkn spore from ever getting a foot hold on me. i agree there is nothing more heart wrenching then to stroll up to ur plot and pull the best looking top buds back and see nothing but white fuzzy/brownish slime on them. i will look into searching for blades posts thanks again seamaiden

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
A few months back I over did it with a neem oil foliar , chasing thrips and it suffocated my leaves. I had to rinse and rinse to get it off and eventually even the damage leaves repaired themselves. But it caused a lot of stress just as I was flipping to flower. No more neem for me.

Kygiacomo

Kygiacomo

A few months back I over did it with a neem oil foliar , chasing thrips and it suffocated my leaves. I had to rinse and rinse to get it off and eventually even the damage leaves repaired themselves. But it caused a lot of stress just as I was flipping to flower. No more neem for me.
so far its been cool to me but i think i will just do the 10ml soil drenches ever 30 days till august 1st.. its a systemic and stays in the plant about 45-50 days. that way it will also condition the soil along the way as well. 5ml to 1 liter is all i used on the foliar and my plants have loved it,but i also dont want to be applying it ever 7 days if i can make it last longer with a soil drench and will cost less money that way. what do u use for pest prevention?

ShroomKing

ShroomKing

Best of luck. Peace
so far its been cool to me but i think i will just do the 10ml soil drenches ever 30 days till august 1st.. its a systemic and stays in the plant about 45-50 days. that way it will also condition the soil along the way as well. 5ml to 1 liter is all i used on the foliar and my plants have loved it,but i also dont want to be applying it ever 7 days if i can make it last longer with a soil drench and will cost less money that way. what do u use for pest prevention?
Diamatacious earth, gnatgnix, smartpots,beneficial bacteria, Monterey garden spray and cleanliness.

John Weeds

John Weeds

WIN 20150731 100015
WIN 20150731 102035
I grow garden vegetables and weeds recently. Please shed a light on... Please see my plants picture attached here... My questions are,

1. Why it is so thin even after 8/9 weeks? Sativa? or less nutrition?
2. Everytime I used neem oil it worries me. What is the proper ratio with water?
3. For surfactant, can I use ASPA 80 (an Amway product for agriculture)? Does anyone used it before?

Yesterday, I sprayed neem oil under the leaf(may be I should reduce the concentration to 5ml/litre) with liquid handwash. Eventhough, I don't see logic in droplet creating lens effect, but here in India most Farmer I spoke to, they don't water the plants when sun is up already, normally they water it early morning or after/during sunset. I reckon, these on field farmer know something.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It looks to me like you're trying to grow that plant in a shady location. They need a minimum of 6 hours of full, direct sun in order to grow properly.

N

Noel Live

Yes! Neem Oil will burn your plants, particularly, new or delicate growth. It will kill seedlings and unrooted or newly rooted cuts but seems to be a bit more forgiving on bigger plants and older foliage. I found a light mist of neem oil does not hurt them that bad. If you drench them they will react, normally by downward curling leaves that end up with burned tips.

T

Tarey Wolf

I know this is mostly an old post, but I had a pesky spider mite problem and, using instructions on the product, dipped my non-flowering plants in a Neem oil solution, and let them dry thoroughly then placed them back under the light. I didn't like the look and feel of them and rinsed 2-3 times that night and the next morning, even used a mild detergent to wash the undersides of the leaves. But the main big leaves are showing chemical burn. I've used Neem before but not for awhile. All my other go-to's were not working. I was getting ready to flower these and now I just want to see if I can get them to live that long. I've cut off some of the worse burned leaves, but most fan leaves anyway are crispy. I've sprayed PH'd clear water, done everything I can to fix the issue. I've got them under LED, a little more than a foot away. Please tell me there is a way they might survive (if true) or what else I can do to increase their chances.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Post up some pix so we can see the damage.

succulent710

succulent710

Post up some pix so we can see the damage.
I know I am a bit late chiming in on this thread...but after lengthy research for two days I feel that I have come to the conclusion that I burned my plants with neem. I sprayed them every 72 hours for 3 days in a row, both my seedlings and my taller veg plants. I have pictured both...what do you folks think? Much love and any help is greatly appreciated.
IMG 7015
IMG 7019

Nybadboy

Nybadboy

I completely disagree based off of my own experiences, spraying w/ hid lights on burning your plants is a myth. Especially if you use a surfactant/emulsifier of some type, that lens effect you speak of is not supposed to happen w/ a surfactant. Water beads normally and that could burn your plants like it would burn your cars paint, but w/ the surfactant it is supposed to be flat on your leaves so that the neem oil would coat your plants rather than bead up on them. I've almost always sprayed during lights on except when I first started growing due to these myths being perpetuated, I've also never rinsed neem off the next day regardless of concentration, it's pointless to put a protective layer on your plants keeping pests from biting only to wash it off the very next day? I've always felt spraying neem increased the health on my plants and not just visually. I've even sprayed w/o surfactants and still no burn from HID. I think it has to be something else messing w/ your plants, some pics would help us diagnose the probs.
I completely disagree , i have sprayed neem and kept my hps on and burnt the shit out of my plants that being said if you get away with it more power to you I'm not being rude just my experience with lights on but I will.tell.you this I just hit them with a heaviest dose I ever have because i ended up with spider mites somehow so let's see what happens

Top Bottom