• Thread starter burn4me
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

homemade cabinet vs grow tent

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DismalDude

DismalDude

I have done a closet cfl grow before.It turned out okay for what it was.Even with cfl's heat was still an issue.Just make sure you have fresh air coming in and exhaust.Also make sure you use an oscillating fan inside the room as well to blow across the plants.It can produce some quality bud if done right but it will take added patience. ;)
There are some really inexpensive inline fans on Ama*** that work pretty well.About $35,I use them and they work great for my tent.

freespirit

freespirit

Yea I was gonna say if it's a huge issue throw some 300w CFL's in there. I don't want AC in my closet so I'm keeping my main light high with a 300w CFL right on top of the canopy. Was gonna add another today but got a bad bulb : / . Also if a little light leak isnt an issue you can leave one side cracked open a bit to get better circulation, I have my door cracked a bit and it keeps the room an avg of 75.

burn4me

burn4me

I have done a closet cfl grow before.It turned out okay for what it was.Even with cfl's heat was still an issue.Just make sure you have fresh air coming in and exhaust.Also make sure you use an oscillating fan inside the room as well to blow across the plants.It can produce some quality bud if done right but it will take added patience. ;)
There are some really inexpensive inline fans on Ama*** that work pretty well.About $35,I use them and they work great for my tent.

thanks bro im just not sure on cfm i need to keep it fresh in there...

Yea I was gonna say if it's a huge issue throw some 300w CFL's in there. I don't want AC in my closet so I'm keeping my main light high with a 300w CFL right on top of the canopy. Was gonna add another today but got a bad bulb : / . Also if a little light leak isnt an issue you can leave one side cracked open a bit to get better circulation, I have my door cracked a bit and it keeps the room an avg of 75.
i am gonna upgrade just already had a shit ton on cfl bulbs(christmas from an awkward relative) and id rather not have it open at all to control it as much as possible but thanks....

DismalDude

DismalDude

The 2 6in. fans I got are rated for 240 cfm.A 240 intake is a lot of air in a small space.

Power OG

Power OG

in that size space you could easly get led and have really nice plants, i just did a small closet grow wit no ac, 2 fans , go check out my grow log, id be happy to help.

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

I am a new grower myself., however I would think one 4inch inline and a small 6 inch fan would do you just fine until the dead of summer....then it may get too hot unless you have an ac vent and crank it up..

I have 1 cabinet, 1 tent, 1 veg room and 1 flower room. All first run though.

Power OG

Power OG

also you could try the gas lantern technique in veg to help reduce heat build up, and also loads the plant wit flower hormones.

burn4me

burn4me

The 2 6in. fans I got are rated for 240 cfm.A 240 intake is a lot of air in a small space.

and ill have to look into that tech.
so will a 4" 190 cfm booster intake fan work for exaust then just a 4" hole for that booster fan to pull fresh air from work or sholud i get a small PC fan to help pull it in
I am a new grower myself., however I would think one 4inch inline and a small 6 inch fan would do you just fine until the dead of summer....then it may get too hot unless you have an ac vent and crank it up..

I have 1 cabinet, 1 tent, 1 veg room and 1 flower room. All first run though.
legal what do you think as well with this idea? thanks and its hot in summer but i have central air and ill cross that bridge when i get there. lol but could i get a bigger fan and keep it low then if its too hot then just crank it a bit? can you do that with the booster fans?

power thanks man im going to check out your digs.....
and spirit i wish i had the money for LED bc id try but i dont see that in my future for a while.
thanks everyone

DismalDude

DismalDude

Here's basically what you want burn.In my opinion anyway. ;)
Closet   type A

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

I struggle with feeding/watering more than heat. or airflow... :)

I have ran a 600w since OCT without any extra A/C. For your closet, I imagine you can use A/C from the house if you keep to just 1 light like a 400/600W. You start putting one or two 1000w/ and your heat will likely need extra A/C. If you use that florescent.. I bet you are fine.

Here is a link to a fan/filter combo on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/VenTech-IF6CF...&qid=1392309606&sr=8-4&keywords=carbon+filter
Start there or something like that as DismalDude recommended. Run the airflow fan into the carbon filter (I did this backwards my first time) and mount to a 2 x4 on the wall with some eye hooks and some racheting tow straps..

Then put a fan like this on the wall: http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-2521-Os..._2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392309666&sr=8-2&keywords=fan

I use a few of these fans and just take off the bottom stand and use an electrical connector to mount to a 2x4 on the wall. Seems to work well.

At a later point, run a power line, cut a wall unit like a motel and pack the closet with a few 1000w to bulk up the plants, or perhaps by then you will have a better space like basement/garage/spare room/etc.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Power OG

Power OG

and ill have to look into that tech.
so will a 4" 190 cfm booster intake fan work for exaust then just a 4" hole for that booster fan to pull fresh air from work or sholud i get a small PC fan to help pull it in

legal what do you think as well with this idea? thanks and its hot in summer but i have central air and ill cross that bridge when i get there. lol but could i get a bigger fan and keep it low then if its too hot then just crank it a bit? can you do that with the booster fans?

power thanks man im going to check out your digs.....
and spirit i wish i had the money for LED bc id try but i dont see that in my future for a while.
thanks everyone
you can get good one for cheaper than you think, 400w for inder $240

DismalDude

DismalDude

Not to hijack or anything but I am seriously going to LED only come next year.Been doing a ton of research on these things and this place http://www.budmaster.co.uk/Content/182/LED-Grow-Lights so far will be my go to place unless I find something better in the meantime.Prices for quality seem spot on.

burn4me

burn4me

Here's basically what you want burn.In my opinion anyway. ;)
View attachment 378575
believe it or not thats a 99% match to what i have drawn out. but just got lost mainly because its drawn up for HPS light which i have got yet. so i plan on running same plan except in place of where light is on the drawing will just be ducting running to outlet hole. Sound right? i will have a HPS just not yet hopefully before flowering.....oh yeah +rep for all of you for being on the ball this morning. thanks i am truly grateful.

burn4me

burn4me

I struggle with feeding/watering more than heat. or airflow... :)

I have ran a 600w since OCT without any extra A/C. For your closet, I imagine you can use A/C from the house if you keep to just 1 light like a 400/600W. You start putting one or two 1000w/ and your heat will likely need extra A/C. If you use that florescent.. I bet you are fine.

Here is a link to a fan/filter combo on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/VenTech-IF6CF620-Inline-Virgin-Charcoal/dp/B0052ZPMAG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1392309606&sr=8-4&keywords=carbon filter
Start there or something like that as DismalDude recommended. Run the airflow fan into the carbon filter (I did this backwards my first time) and mount to a 2 x4 on the wall with some eye hooks and some racheting tow straps..

Then put a fan like this on the wall: http://www.amazon.com/Lasko-2521-Os..._2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392309666&sr=8-2&keywords=fan

I use a few of these fans and just take off the bottom stand and use an electrical connector to mount to a 2x4 on the wall. Seems to work well.
View attachment 378574

At a later point, run a power line, cut a wall unit like a motel and pack the closet with a few 1000w to bulk up the plants, or perhaps by then you will have a better space like basement/garage/spare room/etc.
legal that fan is rated 440 CFM isnt tat too big for my room or will a speed control work the same to keep it low unless needed otherwise?
if not would this one be ok?http://www.amazon.com/VenTech-IF4CF412-Inline-Virgin-Charcoal/dp/B004Q2ER5C/ref=wl_mb_hu_m_2_dp

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
LegalGrow

LegalGrow

shit no.. nothing I can see wrong with too much fan. If it pulls through the carbon filter (I just learned I had mine setup wrong). they pull through the filter not blow into it.. Anyway, that will slow air down and not a problem.
You can also get the 4 inch same setup.. 190 CFM...

burn4me

burn4me

awesome.....i WILL get the 6" set up.....and go ......
now the normal filter life is what? would you know and if smell still problem can i attach a bigger filter? maybe im way to ahead of myself here. and should i still put small PC fan for intake or leave it be with just fresh air hole?

LegalGrow

LegalGrow

I dont think you need a fan pulling air in. Just something like a dampner so air comes in only when it should. You don't want the room getting too much cold air either.
Something perhaps like this with the large piece inside the room...

Latest posts

Top Bottom