New BioWave Harmonic Plant Stomata Dilator

• Thread starter darkcloudy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
squiggly

squiggly

Hate to see legitimate science, which many people have poured years of research into, being likened to snake oil.

The question shouldn't be whether the principle works--it does. It's been tested and reproduced probably hundreds of times. Sound of the correct frequency is known to open stomata. Electromagnetic fields, and even electricity itself have also been shown to affect plant growth in various ways.

This system might not be what its cracked up to be--but the science behind it is solid.

Did you know that sound of the correct frequency, or a strong electromagnetic pulses at the correct frequency can incapacitate a human? The question is not whether or not the forces of nature and physics can change how a living thing responds to its environment. It only requires accepting that these conditions are a part of the environment itself in a very inclusive way to realize there's probably more to this than meets the eye (probably the reason people researched it to begin with).

As for the statement that science is comprised of only theories this is correct. Wasn't illustrated clearly but it is certainly the case. You'll have a hard time finding a scientific report claiming to have "proven" something. There are plenty of news reports which say "scientists prove _____," but its unlikely that's how it was stated in any scientific paper. Generally it'll be something like "the data suggests _____" , "the data supports the hypothesis."

There are three levels of scientific theory:

1. Theory
2. Principle
3. Law

A theory is accepted after being reproduced a few times over in separate groups and accepted by the community at large. It becomes a principle generally 10-20 years later after other theories have been built upon the suggestions of the theory--or after its been reproduced thousands of times and its no longer questioned much if at all.

It finally becomes a law once our understanding of the world becomes absolutely pivotal on its inclusion in science.

This is a generalization of the process, but that's basically how it works.

Despite all of this there are laws, such as the law of gravity, which we accept but do not understand. With gravity we don't know the carrier particle of the source (theorized graviton) nor do we know the particle which gives mass, or the acceptor particle of the force (theorized higgs boson).

We postulate these particles in all of physics, and it is for that reason that gravity is a law. But we haven't "proven" a thing about it. It isn't a "fact" that what goes up must come down. We won't know that until we've discovered said particles and found whether they are able to be manipulated in different ways.

In a round about way,we all understand that gravity is real or that the fire on a stove will burn you--but in science we don't ever take anything to be fact. That is the driving force of science. It is nothing but a never ending questioning of everything both known and unknown.

S

sk2004

If u had to guess, do my buds need more graviton or more higgs boson? Kinda stopped paying at school after newtonian

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

Hate to see legitimate science, which many people have poured years of research into, being likened to snake oil.

The question shouldn't be whether the principle works--it does. It's been tested and reproduced probably hundreds of times. Sound of the correct frequency is known to open stomata. Electromagnetic fields, and even electricity itself have also been shown to affect plant growth in various ways.

This system might not be what its cracked up to be--but the science behind it is solid.
The question that I have is not whether or not these things affect plants, I want to know if they will affect them in a positive way? increase in yield/quality/etc.? and if it does so, how much for a realistic claim? I crave some science and where is this documented/reproduced hundreds of times? I'd like to see it just one or two times from a credible source to put the skeptic in me to rest. I also saw it mentioned earlier that this was something legit that sunlight supply slapped there name on, does anyone know what the real thing w/ science behind it that the AG green houses are using is called?

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

I did some more research and confirmed that this thing is most likely a scam. I'm not doubting that it's possible to help your plants w/ the correct soundwave. Just doubting that this machine makes the right noise and why they didn't just record the noise to cd/mp3? Even if it did work I wouldn't want a big spinning paper weight to generate that noise. They also had a article about increased transpiration reducing yields, which kinda makes it seem like this machine would lower yields?
"Topic 11.7

Does Respiration Reduce Crop Yields?

James N. Siedow, Duke University, North Carolina, USA; Ian M. Møller, Aarhus University, Denmark; Allan G. Rasmusson, Lund University, Sweden

Plant respiration can consume an appreciable amount of the carbon fixed each day during photosynthesis over and above the losses due to photorespiration (see textbook Chapter 9). To what extent can changes in a plant′s respiratory metabolism affect crop yields?

Attempts to establish a quantitative relationship between respiratory energy metabolism and the various processes going on in the cell have led to a break-up of respiration into two components (Lambers 1985). In growth respiration, reduced carbon is processed to bring about the addition of new biomass. The other component, maintenance respiration, is needed to keep existing, mature cells in a viable state. Utilization of energy by maintenance respiration is not well understood, but estimates indicate that it can represent more than 50% of the total respiratory flux.

Although numerous questions remain regarding these issues, there are several empirical examples of relations between plant respiration rates and crop yield. In the forage crop, perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne), yield increases of 10% to 20% were correlated with a 20% decrease in the leaf respiration rate (Wilson and Jones 1982). Similar correlations have been found for other plants, including corn (Zea mays) and tall fescue (Festaca arundinacea) (Lambers 1985). However, later investigations have shown that "selection for low rates of mature leaf respiration is not an appropriate method to select for high-yielding cultivars in perennial grasses" (Kraus and Lambers 2001).

Although there is a potential for increasing crop yield through reduction of respiration rates, a better understanding of the sites and mechanisms that control plant respiration is needed before such changes can be exploited commercially in a systematic fashion by plant physiologists, geneticists, and molecular biologists (Loomis and Amthor 1999). Furthermore, much remains to be learned about the general applicability of such observations and the conditions under which slower-respiring lines could be at a disadvantage, causing a reduction in crop yields rather than an increase.

Recent studies illustrate the present difficulty of predicting the effect of directed changes at the molecular level on plant productivity:

Nunes-Nesi et al. (2005b) found that the productivity of transgenic tomato plants with a reduced activity of mitochondrial malate dehydrogenase was increased as compared to the wild type. Although the respiratory activity of mitochondria isolated from the transgenic plants was unchanged or higher than in the wild type, the rate of leaf respiration was reduced in the transgenic plants. Photosynthesis was markedly increased in the transgenic lines, possibly linked to increased levels of ascorbate.

Sieger et al. (2005) studied the effect of the alternative oxidase on the growth of tobacco cell cultures. Considering the energy-wasteful nature of the alternative oxidase (see Web Topic 11.3) one might expect that a cell line lacking the enzyme would grow faster than the wild type. Secondly, alternative oxidase has a role in the response of plants to oxidative stress (see Web Topic 11.3 and Web Essay 11.7), so a cell line lacking the alternative oxidase would also be expected to handle abiotic stress less well. The results were surprising—the transgenic cell line with a very low expression of alternative oxidase grew as fast as the wild-type cells under normal, nutrient-sufficient conditions, and faster than the wild type under conditions of macronutrient limitation (low phosphate or low nitrogen). It appears that the alternative oxidase is an important factor in modulating the growth rate in response to nutrient availability.

Giraud et al. (2008) investigated the effect of combined stresses in Arabidopsis. A mutant lacking the stress-induced alternative oxidase isoform AOX1a showed no phenotype upon drought treatment under moderate light. However, upon a combination of drought and moderately high light (which can easily be envisioned to take place in nature or in the field) the mutant plants were obviously stressed and displayed symptoms of elevated reactive oxygen species levels. Since mitochondria were not the primary target of the stresses imposed, this investigation also showed how a multitude of cellular processes together enable the plant to fight external stresses.

Plant respiration involves an intricate metabolic network of interacting pathways and a complex regulation of gene expression and enzymatic activities. We clearly need to know much more about these interactions before we can predict the effects of changing the expression of single genes on plant productivity. Also when looking at carbon metabolism overall, including both photosynthetic and heterotrophic metabolism, biotechnological attempts of improving yields has made relatively little progress. This has partly been the consequence of the complexity, and perturbations leading to unexpected side effect. However, effects of genetic changes to carbon metabolism can now be followed in detail using global profiling approaches, and the increased detail in analyses aids the specific modification of carbon metabolism for improving yield (Nunes-Nesi et al. 2005a).

An important issue for the future is to develop plants that are well adapted for optimal functioning at a higher atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration. It has been especially difficult predicting the impact of the atmospheric change on respiration (Leakey et al. 2009). "

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

2 of my buddies tried this machine and ended up with basically no difference. good thing for the return policy. Better to spend your $$$ dialing in your environment imo. or taking a nice vacation with some hotties. or just meeting some hotties at the beach lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=MX145Tu4MHY&NR=1

hey dirk d, sound about right. Glad your shop is cool about it, did they give you your cash back or stick you w/ a bunch of store credit?

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

I hate to see when snake oil manufacturers claim there technology uses legitimate science that people have poured years of research into, also I hate these sell outs like dr. lynette morgan. I used to think she was a respectable angry looking lady from max yield mag but now I see she's just another shill. -1 rep to her for selling her name once again to a snake oil company.

squiggly

squiggly

The idea is that there is actually a scientific basis behind this--whether or not the claim about the benefits are true is what would make a company shitty for selling something based on false advertising.

That doesn't mean the science is shit--it's good science, it just might not be a beneficial discovery is all (or it may be implemented poorly in these various systems).

dirk d

dirk d

I didnt actually use the Biowave myself. I'm just going on what they told me. they were both excited during the trial but it was never confirmed that it made much of a difference.

Coin

Coin

Interview about the BioWave it is put out by Sunlight Supply they are the Costco of grow supply good customer service I have called them up a few times for help and exchanges they are located in Vancouver WA

dankworth

dankworth

You guys know how I try to reverse engineer things and then talk shit?
Or sometimes talk shit and then try to reverse engineer things?

So I was all like

"I fuckin love you plants!"
http://t2.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStYMXPWEgtrHl4mRpbvlihwikAO6kctoNfDgHg6zjcXADOzwCy

No response.

So I was like
"I said
I FUCKIN LOVE YOU PLANTS!"
http://t3.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCrrJxPYxJinJybm3kF4ZV_UtMeyjCi5-16vJ1fsf99SeGo12gNA

But they didn't seem to care.

I think it maybe was because I was playing "The Sign" by Ace of Base.
Suggestions?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
You guys know how I try to reverse engineer things and then talk shit?
Or sometimes talk shit and then try to reverse engineer things?

So I was all like

"I fuckin love you plants!"
http://t2.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStYMXPWEgtrHl4mRpbvlihwikAO6kctoNfDgHg6zjcXADOzwCy

No response.

So I was like
"I said
I FUCKIN LOVE YOU PLANTS!"
http://t3.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCrrJxPYxJinJybm3kF4ZV_UtMeyjCi5-16vJ1fsf99SeGo12gNA

But they didn't seem to care.

I think it maybe was because I was playing "The Sign" by Ace of Base.
Suggestions?
Did you have the volume turned all the way to 11?

dankworth

dankworth

Did you have the volume turned all the way to 11?
Let me check.
http://t0.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSN-9IxNArtDKemTeSfxVYz-vnKzkZ2JzfrOd-ikShwoF67BC5Yqw
Yes.

I think I need to take the tin foil off,
http://t0.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZCAoLVtRzkn3u_2EODtssRMRWr5nY3yn3hZBiGcMoQP8j72WV
and fashion it into a hat.
http://t0.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMY0Hmvckj0Q_617vqW7AJaMyixM87gVlxSLKn0ADn4l3zd7Yr

dankworth

dankworth

In all seriousness, though, that Sonic Bloom guy is in the Guinness Book of World Records for some shit.
Let's not forget that in addition to using sound to affect the plants in relatively novel ways, he uses a proprietary foliar recipe.

Top Bottom