New Grow, Trying out Ethos Genetics

• Thread starter SweetLeafGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I recently made an order from North Atlantic Seed company for a new grow of my miracle Cancer medicine and excited to get things off to a great start! After making my mistakes on my first two grows, I have bought some seeds in the hopes of finding some great genetics. After much research and reading, I decided to give the folks over at Ethos Genetics a shot. I ordered 4 Ethos strain 5 packs of fems, Crescendo RBx, Mandarin Sunset, Purple Zkittles, Lemon Berry Candy OG, and a 5 pack of reg CBD strain called Cherry Tonic Web CBD. I was very happy with my order from NASC as there were a ton of discounts and freebies. I got over $50 in discounts and 24 free seeds on the Thanksgiving Day sale! Woohoo!

So after much thought, I have decided to go with 2 plants each of the Crescendo RBx and the Purple Zkittles. Got the seed started in 2" peat pots with some standard potting soil. I don't really mess with paper towels etc, just put them in the soil as God intended. I had thought seriously about starting one of the Ethos pre-release freebies, but I had contacted Ethos and they would not give me any information on the new strains, so I opted not to try them yet until they are released to the general public and more info can be found on the strain. These plants will eventually go in 5 gal fabric pots with Coast of Maine Stonington Blend organic soil. My nutes will be Terp Tea Grow, Bloom, Bloom Booster, Microbe Charge, and Recharge microbe supplement. I'm using a Mars Hydro TSW2000, two tent fans and an 8" inline fan bringing in fresh air.

Nasc seed order
Last edited:
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I'm assuming the plants will be going into a tent? If so, I would recommend using your inline fan as an exhaust fan to vent air out of the tent instead of using it to intake fresh air. Or maybe I misunderstood your post
Hey AK, thanks Bro- Ya, I might not have been too clear on that but I am in a tent and the inline fan pull fresh air in and then vents outside the tent through an 8" duct. In the summer I had that duct vented to the outside to keep the heat under control. Now during winter, it's not vented outside but it helps regulate the humidity levels in the room, which regulates the tent.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I've heard good things about Mandarin Sunset.
I hope what you have heard is right mystic! I gave a couple of the Mandarin Sunset seeds to a buddy for an outdoor grow in the spring. Super stoked to see how they come out! Not sure when I will get around to trying this strain. I have already popped 2 Purple Zkittles and 2 Crescendo RBx for the next grow so maybe the one after that.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

On Tuesday, Nov 30, I put 4 seeds in the soil, 2 each of the Ethos Genetics strains Purple Zkittles and Crescendo RBx, 2" peat pots. I've got them in a shower that isn't used much while the girls in the tent finishing up. Misted them with a spray bottle to get everything moist, and kept it that way and viola, this morning all 4 seeds had sprouted and are saying HI. I've got them in a small terrarium that keeps the humidity upwards of 80% and a heating mat under the tray that keeps temps in the mid 80's. The girls are very dainty, as were the seeds that went in the soil. I've got the MarsHydro tsw 1000 at about 16" from the tops of the plants, set at 25% intensity (I moved it down a bit after I took the first photo).

So far so good, I'm super stoked about these strains and what these babies could grow up to be!

IMG 0035
IMG 0036

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Seedling Update-

Today marks the 2 week point where I put the 4 seeds in soil. 3 days later they had all sprouted and today would make the 11th day since sprout. The seedlings are doing well, coming up slowly on the upside, and working on the new root system below the surface. I have not seen any roots protruding from the bottom of these peat pots yet, but when I do, that will signal repotting day up to the 3/4 gallon pots that will be the middle size before I put them in 3 or 5 gallon fabric pots. I have not decided whether I want to go from 5's to 3's and what the pro's and con's of each choice may be, but the thought had crossed my mind since I am going to buy some new fabric pots.

I have not fed these seedlings anything, and do not plan to but I may mix a bit of Recharge in the water next time they need water. I have the light set at 22" above the plants, set @ 25% power, getting a Lux reading on an app I found of 375 at seedling leaf height. Once roots begin to emerge from the bottom of the peat pots, I will ready the 3/4 gal pots with some straight Coast of Maine Stonington Blend organic soil to the bottom 1/3 of each pot. Then I am going to mix some regular soil I got from the hardware store with the CoM Stonington at 50/50 ratio to tame that soil down a bit for the seedlings. I have found this soil to be too hot for seedlings so I will introduce them to full strength soil slowly. Once they go in their final pots, these will contain the full strength soil and should not require any feedings for approx 3 weeks afterward. So that is the plan anyhow.

Just a couple of interesting observations- The 2 Purple Zkittles seedlings are almost identical, very similar at this point anyway. The Crescendo seedlings seem to have a tall and a short pheno in these two young gals. I am not sure how stable these genetics are but I know Ethos has a pretty good reputation. From what I understand, this is not all that uncommon but will be interesting to see these as they grow and mature. I have never tried Ethos genetics so looking forward to trying them out in this grow.

IMG 0059
IMG 0054
IMG 0055
IMG 0056
IMG 0057
IMG 0058
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Bro I can’t wait to see you grow these out! Especially since we have a similar methods. The guy at the hydro store gave me some coast of Maine soil you speak. Is it pretty hot then I assume? I’m loving the texture of the soil I’ll add some perlite but that’s it. I wanted to utilize it in my next run.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Bro I can’t wait to see you grow these out! Especially since we have a similar methods. The guy at the hydro store gave me some coast of Maine soil you speak. Is it pretty hot then I assume? I’m loving the texture of the soil I’ll add some perlite but that’s it. I wanted to utilize it in my next run.
I don't think I'd put seedlings into it, but COM Stonington Blend is unlikely to burn plants once they're out of the seedling stage. It's a premium product, IMO. The price reflects it, though.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Is it pretty hot then I assume? I’m loving the texture of the soil I’ll add some perlite but that’s it. I wanted to utilize it in my next run.
Yea, it's too hot for young seedlings and I am not exactly sure when they are good in the full strength soil. They even say on their website that it can be too hot for some seedlings.

I've learned to start them in soil I got from the hardware store, then when they are ready to up-pot I put full strength Stonington in the bottom 1/3 of the 3/4 gallon pot that I will go into next. Then I mix the Stonington Blend with some of that hardware store soil 1/2 and 1/2, with full strength Stonington and put the seedlings in that. This way, I gradually get them into the full strength soil. By the time they are ready to go in the 5 gal pots, they will be fine with the full strength soil.

When I am finished with my current grow, I am going to set that soil aside to use for seedlings as it should be mostly depleted and I won't need the crappy hardware store, gnat infested soil anymore.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Seedling Update, 12/19/21

Cruising along with the Ethos Purple Zkittles and Crescendo RBx seedlings. It's been 16 days since all 4 seeds sprouted and today I transplanted them into the 3/4 gal pots as they were starting to show roots on the bottom of the 2" peat pots. They seem to be moving along very slowly but I am reminding myself about how long they spend developing their root systems before showing a more rigorous growth.

Because of the hot CoM Stonington Blend soil I am using, I put about 1/3 of the bottom of each pot with undiluted Stonington Blend soil. Then I mixed the hardware store soil I have 1/2 and 1/2 with the Stonington and nestled the freshly watered 2" peat pots containing the girls into that diluted soil mixture. Then I gently watered around each seedling to get the soil around and beneath each one moistened to a slight bit of runoff, not a full watering. I will do the full watering the next time they need water.

They are still in the shower with a heat mat underneath. Temps are staying in the 70-80 F with humidity in the 20's. I have removed the dome and getting them used to the lower humidity levels.

I have been trying to figure out the light distance. I got an app for my phone called Galactica to measure the Lux readings. Not really sure what I am doing but from what I understand, seedlings want about 500-600 Lux. I am using a MarsHydro TSW1000 and it seems to be all over the place with the Lux readings, hot spots and cold spots. I moved the young girls around in an attempt to find a happy medium between the hot and cold spots. Needless to say, the girls are off center of the light before I could get a halfway consistent Lux reading across all 4. I raised the light to 20" above the tallest seedling and have the intensity set at about 40%, which gives me a Lux reading of ~550. If anyone has any advice or any information to share on this area of my grow I would really appreciate it, even if it's to say you think I might have everything dialed in good.

Some early observations- One of the Purple Zkittles seedlings has the cotyledons already turning yellow, which I have not seen before. She seems to be somewhat of the runt of the group and perhaps the cotyledon did not contain the normal kick start for the young seedlings? Not sure, but hopefully she will gain strength in the coming days and weeks.

The Crescendo RBx seedlings continue to show a tall and short version so will be interesting to watch how these progress. From what I understand, the Crescendo strain can use some LST to keep the strain under control indoors. Looks like the taller of the two may give me a chance to try some LST for the first time.

Purple Zkittles-
IMG 0066

IMG 0065

Crescendo RBx

IMG 0063

IMG 0064
Screenshot 2021 12 19 at 24216 PM

IMG 0062
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Seedling Update, 12/19/21

Cruising along with the Ethos Purple Zkittles and Crescendo RBx seedlings. It's been 16 days since all 4 seeds sprouted and today I transplanted them into the 3/4 gal pots as they were starting to show roots on the bottom of the 2" peat pots. They seem to be moving along very slowly but I am reminding myself about how long they spend developing their root systems before showing a more rigorous growth.

Because of the hot CoM Stonington Blend soil I am using, I put about 1/3 of the bottom of each pot with undiluted Stonington Blend soil. Then I mixed the hardware store soil I have 1/2 and 1/2 with the Stonington and nestled the freshly watered 2" peat pots containing the girls into that diluted soil mixture. Then I gently watered around each seedling to get the soil around and beneath each one moistened to a slight bit of runoff, not a full watering. I will do the full watering the next time they need water.

They are still in the shower with a heat mat underneath. Temps are staying in the 70-80 F with humidity in the 20's. I have removed the dome and getting them used to the lower humidity levels.

I have been trying to figure out the light distance. I got an app for my phone called Galactica to measure the Lux readings. Not really sure what I am doing but from what I understand, seedlings want about 500-600 Lux. I am using a MarsHydro TSW1000 and it seems to be all over the place with the Lux readings, hot spots and cold spots. I moved the young girls around in an attempt to find a happy medium between the hot and cold spots. Needless to say, the girls are off center of the light before I could get a halfway consistent Lux reading across all 4. I raised the light to 20" above the tallest seedling and have the intensity set at about 40%, which gives me a Lux reading of ~550. If anyone has any advice or any information to share on this area of my grow I would really appreciate it, even if it's to say you think I might have everything dialed in good.

Some early observations- One of the Purple Zkittles seedlings has the cotyledons already turning yellow, which I have not seen before. She seems to be somewhat of the runt of the group and perhaps the cotyledon did not contain the normal kick start for the young seedlings? Not sure, but hopefully she will gain strength in the coming days and weeks.

The Crescendo RBx seedlings continue to show a tall and short version so will be interesting to watch how these progress. From what I understand, the Crescendo strain can use some LST to keep the strain under control indoors. Looks like the taller of the two may give me a chance to try some LST for the first time.

Purple Zkittles-
View attachment 1198411

View attachment 1198410

Crescendo RBx

View attachment 1198413
View attachment 1198409View attachment 1198415
Save some crescendo cuts 😂😉! Lol on a serious note you’ve never trained!? It’s honestly one of my favorite parts. Manipulating it into a bush growing lateral. I’ll show you the ones I’m about to send into flower when I get a chance. Lavender frosting from a breeder on the farm and a punch cake from elev8 genetics.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Lol on a serious note you’ve never trained!?
Nope, none other than topping. I did do a bit on this last grow that I forgot about when I posted that. The MotherLode was really stretching and it was during a time when I was out of it with the RSO therapy. By the time I finally realized she was going out of control, it was too late. I had to really pinch those two main stems and crush everything inside to get them to bend without breaking, which they did do and like you say, got the lateral growth really going on. This time I hope to be much more on top of things and try some tying down of branches like I have seen you do.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Seedling Update 12/28/21

Cruising along here, day 25 since sprout. Since my last update, the seedlings have continued to grow slowly. I have transplanted into the 3/4 gal pots which will be the interim before they go into either 5 gal, or considering using 3 gal this time. Do you have any thoughts on 3 gal. vs 5 gal. pots @ImpulsiveGrower?
IMG 0080

Some further observations-

The Crescendo RBx still seem to be showing a tall and short version (front row, left tall, right short). It looks like I am going to have to dive in with the LST sooner rather than later with the taller of the two. @ImpulsiveGrower, do you have some advice on how to begin the training here? I figure I will need to start on the tall Crescendo gal first and then follow suit with the others once they are ready. This will be my first go at some real LST and I appreciate your help brother!

Crescendo RBx
IMG 0081
IMG 0082

Purple Zkittlez
IMG 0083
IMG 0084

I plan to top all between the 4th and 5th nodes, which all will be ready for this within the next few days.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Seedling Update 12/28/21

Cruising along here, day 25 since sprout. Since my last update, the seedlings have continued to grow slowly. I have transplanted into the 3/4 gal pots which will be the interim before they go into either 5 gal, or considering using 3 gal this time. Do you have any thoughts on 3 gal. vs 5 gal. pots @ImpulsiveGrower?
View attachment 1200876

Some further observations-

The Crescendo RBx still seem to be showing a tall and short version (front row, left tall, right short). It looks like I am going to have to dive in with the LST sooner rather than later with the taller of the two. @ImpulsiveGrower, do you have some advice on how to begin the training here? I figure I will need to start on the tall Crescendo gal first and then follow suit with the others once they are ready. This will be my first go at some real LST and I appreciate your help brother!

Crescendo RBx
View attachment 1200877View attachment 1200879

Purple Zkittlez
View attachment 1200880View attachment 1200881

I plan to top all between the 4th and 5th nodes, which all will be ready for this within the next few days.
Well my first grow I did 3z, then moved to 5 gallons. It depends on how big your gonna grow before flowering. Right now I have my punch cake in a 5 and my lavender frosting in a 3. I need to water more often on the 3 gallon but it’s also easier to gauge the dry back on the pot. So you can water more often and also make sure to top dress in time.

I would top and then let those grow out some before tying down to the side of the pot. Then tie and supercrop as needed.

Punch cake below. You can see how I tied the branches and I leave the ties on
820D8BF7 4269 472E A035 CFB9B9CAC6B2
9FB6F2B4 1B8B 4908 952B 20FEF9AA3846

Lavender frosting in the 3 gal. Both are similar size but the punch cake has super fat leaves. This pic she is supercropped
B2AAAADB 7218 4E51 B0B6 E0C263022253
C802B81F 94EC 4584 8C23 E6ED4899B94C

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
You could always just do one in a 3 gal if you don’t wanna commit all your new ethos into something different than what you are used to. I seem to really like the 3 gallon pots but I’ve really been experimenting with pot size, veg time/plant size, and different styles of training. They say to go big in living soil but I’ve gotten really good results in the 3 gal. I find myself gradually going up and may even try 7z next but idk something about the 3z are really nice. My new earth box holds 7 gal of soil so I’m excited to see how that plays out.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Update 1-1-22

Cruising along here, day 31 since sprout. I brought a humidifier into the bathroom to get the humidity up since it's real low due to the winter time furnace operation. That's good for the tent where the gals are finishing flowering, but I want more humidity for the seedlings. Temps between 68F 78F with RH between 35% and 70%.

So I dove in head first on LST on the Crescendo RBx who was getting way too tall for her britches. I don't have some good tie wire yet so I just used some fuzzy pipe cleaners to wrestle her down some. Not really sure what I am doing but will try to train the branches toward the outside of the pots to spread out into their own colas. I topped all 4 girls and will continue the training when these branches and the others which are starting to shoot out get big enough.
IMG 0086
IMG 0085

Last edited:
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
I know it's silly but I'm pretty psyched at how fast this gal recovered from my first LST session. 5 hours later and she is already looking up!

💚View attachment 1202159
It’s amazing how fast they adapt. I supercrop my plants on top of LST and once in awhile I’ll snap a branch almost clean off! I then hurry up and deploy the duct tape lol and it doesn’t skip a beat and you will know pretty quick bc it will just wilt out and die if it doesn’t take right away. I’ll try to get a pic of the purple kush clone. I dam near snapped her top off but was able to save it 🤷‍♂️. I love training and manipulating my plants to grow a certain way but be careful.

Top Bottom