New Grow, Trying out Ethos Genetics

• Thread starter SweetLeafGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

1/15/22 Update-

Right about at 5 weeks since sprout and things are progressing OK. Noticed a bit of cal/mag deficiency so upped the cal/mag last watering. Had some fungus gnats from the soil from the hardware store soil so got some sticky traps to catch the adults. Will try to remember to top with some DE when I transplant to get rid of any remaining larvae. Decided to try the 3 gallon pots this time instead of the 5 gallon. When I pulled the last plants from the 5 gal pots, they had a nice root structure but did not fill the 5 gallon pot as much as I imagined so I wanted to experiment and see if there is any difference between the two sizes in my situation.

Got my last grow harvested and drying and so I cleaned out the tent and got the gals moved over where it's a bit easier to control the humidity and temps. Having a rough go trying to keep the humidity up since the furnace is working overtime and the air inside is very dry. I also have a space heater in the room helping to keep the temps up in the 70's. Thinking about getting a large house humidifier for winter time. I bought some distilled water since I am no longer running the dehumidifier during winter months and I have been using that water for the plants. I also wanted to get away from using that water as I have heard that it can cause mold and mildew problems when the dehuey gets dirty over time. I have been looking at some RO units and will most likely get one installed soon. Our well water comes out at 600-800 ppm and I have to do SOMETHING soon. I currently have the Mars/Hydro TSW2000 set at 20" above the top of the plants @ 25% power.

I think I might be close to transplanting as the girls are about the size of the pots on the topside and there are some roots poking out of the drainage holes. I need to get in and do another round of topping and LST very soon but I have been putting it off because I figure it will be a big pain in the arse to transplant once all the branches are tied down. What do you think @ImpulsiveGrower? Do you usually wait to do the major LST until they are in their final pots? My gut tells me to transplant first and then train. Also, transplant and wait a day or two to LST? Wondering if it will be too much shock to do both things at the same time.

IMG 0101

IMG 0100

Purple Zkittlez

IMG 0096

IMG 0097

Crescendo RBx

IMG 0098
IMG 0099

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
1/15/22 Update-

Right about at 5 weeks since sprout and things are progressing OK. Noticed a bit of cal/mag deficiency so upped the cal/mag last watering. Had some fungus gnats from the soil from the hardware store soil so got some sticky traps to catch the adults. Will try to remember to top with some DE when I transplant to get rid of any remaining larvae. Decided to try the 3 gallon pots this time instead of the 5 gallon. When I pulled the last plants from the 5 gal pots, they had a nice root structure but did not fill the 5 gallon pot as much as I imagined so I wanted to experiment and see if there is any difference between the two sizes in my situation.

Got my last grow harvested and drying and so I cleaned out the tent and got the gals moved over where it's a bit easier to control the humidity and temps. Having a rough go trying to keep the humidity up since the furnace is working overtime and the air inside is very dry. I also have a space heater in the room helping to keep the temps up in the 70's. Thinking about getting a large house humidifier for winter time. I bought some distilled water since I am no longer running the dehumidifier during winter months and I have been using that water for the plants. I also wanted to get away from using that water as I have heard that it can cause mold and mildew problems when the dehuey gets dirty over time. I have been looking at some RO units and will most likely get one installed soon. Our well water comes out at 600-800 ppm and I have to do SOMETHING soon. I currently have the Mars/Hydro TSW2000 set at 20" above the top of the plants @ 25% power.

I think I might be close to transplanting as the girls are about the size of the pots on the topside and there are some roots poking out of the drainage holes. I need to get in and do another round of topping and LST very soon but I have been putting it off because I figure it will be a big pain in the arse to transplant once all the branches are tied down. What do you think @ImpulsiveGrower? Do you usually wait to do the major LST until they are in their final pots? My gut tells me to transplant first and then train. Also, transplant and wait a day or two to LST? Wondering if it will be too much shock to do both things at the same time.

View attachment 1206892
View attachment 1206891

Purple Zkittlez

View attachment 1206887
View attachment 1206888

Crescendo RBx

View attachment 1206889View attachment 1206890
I’ve done both but found that it’s definitely way easier to train after you transplant. I go from a 5in square pot into a 2 gal, and then transplant into the final pot which has been 3 and 5 gal fabric pots. As long as the plant isn’t too big they seem pretty pliable to train. Looking good man keep it up!

H

hawkman

great loooking plants - be aware Lilac stains will give you great yields - havee run about 10 of their strains --all were good If you want a high yielder look at Apex ( is a monster) you dol now that Tehos offfers 1/2 packs ? (5 seeds) much cheaper Have the same issue root growth 5gallon vs 3 gallon ???

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I’ve done both but found that it’s definitely way easier to train after you transplant. I go from a 5in square pot into a 2 gal, and then transplant into the final pot which has been 3 and 5 gal fabric pots. As long as the plant isn’t too big they seem pretty pliable to train. Looking good man keep it up!
Thanks for the info Bro!

theNedster

theNedster

I recently made an order from North Atlantic Seed company for a new grow of my miracle Cancer medicine and excited to get things off to a great start! After making my mistakes on my first two grows, I have bought some seeds in the hopes of finding some great genetics. After much research and reading, I decided to give the folks over at Ethos Genetics a shot. I ordered 4 Ethos strain 5 packs of fems, Crescendo RBx, Mandarin Sunset, Purple Zkittles, Lemon Berry Candy OG, and a 5 pack of reg CBD strain called Cherry Tonic Web CBD. I was very happy with my order from NASC as there were a ton of discounts and freebies. I got over $50 in discounts and 24 free seeds on the Thanksgiving Day sale! Woohoo!

So after much thought, I have decided to go with 2 plants each of the Crescendo RBx and the Purple Zkittles. Got the seed started in 2" peat pots with some standard potting soil. I don't really mess with paper towels etc, just put them in the soil as God intended. I had thought seriously about starting one of the Ethos pre-release freebies, but I had contacted Ethos and they would not give me any information on the new strains, so I opted not to try them yet until they are released to the general public and more info can be found on the strain. These plants will eventually go in 5 gal fabric pots with Coast of Maine Stonington Blend organic soil. My nutes will be Terp Tea Grow, Bloom, Bloom Booster, Microbe Charge, and Recharge microbe supplement. I'm using a Mars Hydro TSW2000, two tent fans and an 8" inline fan bringing in fresh air.
Excellent you’ll love Ethos genetics I have had great luck with them. I ordered from Atlantic seed bank and they sent me a ton of Regular seeds for freebies when I specified Fems and purchased all fems. That was a bummer. Otherwise good stuff.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Hey, your plants look great! What kind of pests are in the sticky traps?
Thanks @grnmtn ! I believe the pests are fungus gnats which were in the cheap hardware store soil I bought as a buffer to the Coast of Maine soil. I have to dilute the CoM soil have because it is too hot for young seedlings.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

great loooking plants - be aware Lilac stains will give you great yields - havee run about 10 of their strains --all were good If you want a high yielder look at Apex ( is a monster) you dol now that Tehos offfers 1/2 packs ? (5 seeds) much cheaper Have the same issue root growth 5gallon vs 3 gallon ???
Hey @hawkman, thank you!

I did not know that about the Lilac strains. I got those Lilac Cookies Pre-release freebies but know next to nothing about the strain and couldn't get much from the breeder either. I'm figuring I will wait to pop them till Ethos lets out more info on the strain. I don't even know if it's Indica or Sativa, which at least to me, is important. I also know a guy that runs a medical dispensary and I gave him one of the Lilac Cookies freebies I got with my seed order. He popped them and perhaps I can learn more about the strain once he harvests and has everything tested.

Yea, I did buy a few 5 packs from Ethos and they are definitely more affordable than a 10 pack. Not sure what your question is about the 3 gallon pots vs. the 5 gallon. I'm going with the 3 gallon this time just as an experiment so see how they do with them vs the 5 gallon pots I have been using in my first two grows.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

1/17/22 Update

Not much happening since last update but I did get all young ladies transplanted into 3 gallon fabric pots yesterday (trying the 3 gal this time). I let them get used to the new pots and they looked great this morning so I had some extra time and so I did my most extensive LST session yet. Got em all tied back and spread out. They need to be topped again but I figured I would wait another day to do that so as to not stress them out too much all at once.

When I transplanted them, they needed water but I did not want to water them and wait another day or two to transplant. I wanted to get them transplanted ASAP so I could get the low stress training done that needed to be done before they got too big. Transplanting went well considering everything was a bit dry. Watered them into their new homes with distilled water, cal/mag, a tbsp of molasses, and 1/2 tsp of Recharge microbe supplement to get the soil microbes going good. I still see some cal/mag deficiency but it's getting better. I gave them a bit extra this watering but I don't want to overload them so we'll see how they react to this watering and go from there. I figure the soil will go about 3 weeks before I need to start feeding them, perhaps sooner since they are in the smaller pots.

Adjusted the light to be about 20" from the tops of the plants and turned the intensity up to about 30%.

IMG 0108

IMG 0106

IMG 0105
IMG 0107

IMG 0104

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
1/17/22 Update

Not much happening since last update but I did get all young ladies transplanted into 3 gallon fabric pots yesterday (trying the 3 gal this time). I let them get used to the new pots and they looked great this morning so I had some extra time and so I did my most extensive LST session yet. Got em all tied back and spread out. They need to be topped again but I figured I would wait another day to do that so as to not stress them out too much all at once.

When I transplanted them, they needed water but I did not want to water them and wait another day or two to transplant. I wanted to get them transplanted ASAP so I could get the low stress training done that needed to be done before they got too big. Transplanting went well considering everything was a bit dry. Watered them into their new homes with distilled water, cal/mag, a tbsp of molasses, and 1/2 tsp of Recharge microbe supplement to get the soil microbes going good. I still see some cal/mag deficiency but it's getting better. I gave them a bit extra this watering but I don't want to overload them so we'll see how they react to this watering and go from there. I figure the soil will go about 3 weeks before I need to start feeding them, perhaps sooner since they are in the smaller pots.

Adjusted the light to be about 20" from the tops of the plants and turned the intensity up to about 30%.

View attachment 1207457

View attachment 1207459

View attachment 1207460View attachment 1207458

View attachment 1207461
I love the training man keep it up!

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

1/30/22 Update-

About two weeks since I transplanted into the 3 gallon fabric pots and things are going fairly well. The cal/mag deficiency continued to get worse but I think I finally have it under control. Last time I watered I gave them 1 TBSP of epsom salt per gallon of water, with the calcium mixture and Recharge. I had been being conservative on the epsom salt but it wasn't enough so I upped the dose to a full TBSP this time and that seems to have done the trick. New growth is looking good and speeding up considerably.

I was able to get in and do some defoliation and some more LST yesterday. They responded well to it and looking good. By my estimates, I will need to start feeding next week, most likely the watering after the next one, which could be today but no later than tomorrow by the feel of the pots this morning.

Finally, I bit the bullet and will be going full on hydro for my indoor grows when these finish. It's not that I have not enjoyed growing in soil, but I am looking for larger, quicker yields. I will be doing some outdoor stuff this spring and those will be in soil but I'm taking the DWC plunge! I have become friends with the guy who runs the local dispensary who has been showing me the ropes with hydro and DWC. I picked out a RDWC system from PA Hydroponics that looks super sweet.

I actually bought two of these systems and a new Spider Farmer tent kit and SE 3000 light! Super pumped for the unboxings that are coming up. The new light is going into the tent as soon as it gets here and I will likely be flipping to flower sometime around Valentines day. Can't wait to see what the new light does. My dispensary friend uses mostly SF lights and loves them....he says his plants grow great and even finish faster under these lights.

I also bought one of PA Hydroponics aeroponic clone buckets and will be making clones very soon. Super pumped about that.

Looked around and decided on Humboldts Secret for my nutrients. I bought the Starter Pack 2 which has a silica formula, which I had been wanting to try out. I also bought a RO system to install in the house so I have my water situation in order. Got a bottle of PH up and PH down, my PH and PPM pens, although I am considering a monitor system that con go right in the res to simplify this important task.

I still have a lot of research to do before I can even start but I'm gonna go for it. If there is anyone who reads this who is good with RWDC and wants to mentor me through my first grow, I would be so honored. @ImpulsiveGrower as mentored me on soil and I cannot thank him enough for his advice, encouragement, and friendship!

IMG 0130
IMG 0125

Crescendo RBx

IMG 0126
IMG 0127

Purple Zkittlez

IMG 0128
IMG 0129

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

2/8/22 update

Cruising along with the Ethos Purple Zkittlez and Crescendo grow in the 3 x 3 tent.

Some exciting news is I bought an entire new 3 x 3 Spider Farmer tent, fan, and light kit for my upcoming switch to RDWC where I am going to just be running one plant in each tent using the mini RDWC single site system by PA Hydroponics. Super stoked about that future run, but in the meantime, I wanted to take advantage of the new light and see what these Spider Farmers lights can do for me.

I was dealing with a fairly extreme case of mag deficiency for this whole grow, seems like I do this every time, most likely because I have to use distilled water because our well water is so high in TDS. Seems I am always paranoid about giving too much cal/mag. Anyhow, the grow has suffered a bit because of the mag def but I think things are finally getting straightened out. I did a foliar feeding twice with some cal/ma/iron because it wasn't time to water yet. The foliar feeding seemed to go well so I did it again the following day, also went well. Then last night I went ahead and watered and fed using this new nutrient pack I got from Humboldts Secret. Gonna give this stuff a shot even though I know it's not organic and it's what I will be using in the RDWC so I figured it wouldn't hurt to get familiar with this way of growing, which I think will fit my style better.

So the feeding seemed to go well. I gave Base A and B, Golden Tree, Cal/Mag + Iron, and the Plant Enzymes. I forgot to add the silica blend but will do that next time. I am also planning to flip to flower this weekend, I just wanted to do a last bit of LST before I let them stretch. Will start the bloom nutrient regimen next watering.

IMG 0144

IMG 0145

IMG 0147
IMG 0146

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
2/8/22 update

Cruising along with the Ethos Purple Zkittlez and Crescendo grow in the 3 x 3 tent.

Some exciting news is I bought an entire new 3 x 3 Spider Farmer tent, fan, and light kit for my upcoming switch to RDWC where I am going to just be running one plant in each tent using the mini RDWC single site system by PA Hydroponics. Super stoked about that future run, but in the meantime, I wanted to take advantage of the new light and see what these Spider Farmers lights can do for me.

I was dealing with a fairly extreme case of mag deficiency for this whole grow, seems like I do this every time, most likely because I have to use distilled water because our well water is so high in TDS. Seems I am always paranoid about giving too much cal/mag. Anyhow, the grow has suffered a bit because of the mag def but I think things are finally getting straightened out. I did a foliar feeding twice with some cal/ma/iron because it wasn't time to water yet. The foliar feeding seemed to go well so I did it again the following day, also went well. Then last night I went ahead and watered and fed using this new nutrient pack I got from Humboldts Secret. Gonna give this stuff a shot even though I know it's not organic and it's what I will be using in the RDWC so I figured it wouldn't hurt to get familiar with this way of growing, which I think will fit my style better.

So the feeding seemed to go well. I gave Base A and B, Golden Tree, Cal/Mag + Iron, and the Plant Enzymes. I forgot to add the silica blend but will do that next time. I am also planning to flip to flower this weekend, I just wanted to do a last bit of LST before I let them stretch. Will start the bloom nutrient regimen next watering.

View attachment 1215108
View attachment 1215111
View attachment 1215113View attachment 1215112
That tent is gonna be packed! You flowering soon right? Looks like you might be over growing the space. I’m stoked to see the single plant RDWC too btw

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

That tent is gonna be packed! You flowering soon right? Looks like you might be over growing the space. I’m stoked to see the single plant RDWC too btw
Yes, I was planning to flip this weekend. I was trying to get them as healthy as possible and also do the last bit of LST before flipping. Do you think I ought to go ahead and flip today? I have been a bit worried I was outgrowing the space. So far, I think they are fairly squat at about 14" off the top of the soil, but I do expect them to stretch, especially the Crescendo RBx gals.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Yes, I was planning to flip this weekend. I was trying to get them as healthy as possible and also do the last bit of LST before flipping. Do you think I ought to go ahead and flip today? I have been a bit worried I was outgrowing the space. So far, I think they are fairly squat at about 14" off the top of the soil, but I do expect them to stretch, especially the Crescendo RBx gals.
It’s gonna be right but I’m sure you will be alright. I like to have atleast a 2x2 area per plant. A 4x4 would be ideal. I would probably grow one good size plant in a 3x3.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I went ahead and flipped tonight. The girls are getting their first taste of darkness as I type.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I woke up this morning in time for lights on in the tent and the girls are looking fantastic considering how much I have struggled to keep up with their needs. They seem to really like the new Spider Farmer SE 3000, which I have started out low on the intensity and working up to 100% over the next week or so. They also are responding very well to the new nutrient schedule I have given them. I am going to do an outdoor grow come spring and will be using Coast of Maine soil and Roots Organics Terp Tea nutrients, but for my indoor, after this run I will be going full RDWC and will be using Humboldts Secret nutrients, which are good for hydro and soil. Testing that out, I decided to use this stuff to finish out this grow and so far, I am impressed. Super stoked to see how they do in flower with the "Secret"!

IMG 0150

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

2/14 update-

Almost through week one of flower. The girls are doing great and I think I finally got them dialed in with the nutrients and the deficiencies I was dealing with.

This is the first grow where I have done a lot more LST. Previously, I had only just topped them and then tucked a lot. This time, with some great encouragement from @ImpulsiveGrower, I dove in head first with the LST. I think I've done well with it and my canopy looks to be fairly even. They are starting to stretch now so I'm letting them do what they need to do. Will probably bring in a net trellis but I'm waiting till I absolutely have to cause I hate those things.

The Humboldts Secret nutrients seem to be dead on and the plants are loving them. Small flowers starting to form and looking closely, I can see a few pistils starting to show themselves. Super stoked about the Ethos strains and the flowers they will produce.

Lowered the new Spider Farmer light to about 8" above the canopy and will try to raise it up as they stretch. Dialed in at about 90% and slowly pushing it up to 100% over the next few days. Overall, the new light is performing well and I can't wait to see how the light performs during the flowering stage. I had heard that they are far superior to the MarsHydro light I had been using. We will see!

IMG 0154
IMG 0155
IMG 0156
IMG 0157
IMG 0158
IMG 0159
IMG 0160
Top Bottom