New grower, with stunted seedlings :(

• Thread starter Mark4444
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mark4444

Help me please, stunted seedlings.

I am growing in 4 gallon peat moss since I can’t find any coco where I live. I haven’t mixed it with perlite. First 3 days it was growing perfect. Then both seedlings suddenly stopped growing and It’s been 8 days now.
The temperature is (22c/ 71f) during the day but at night it goes down to (17c/ 62f) I am putting a dome on them to keep better humidity, if I take the dome off the seedlings will look miserable in only 5 minutes so I can’t even expose it to airflow. Yesterday I tried drying the medium by making holes in case it’s overwatering issue because I don’t even know at this point.

Is it a drainage problem cuz I’m not watering much.

or bad seeds? or bad temperature?
New grower with stunted seedlings

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

I am growing in 4 gallon peat moss since I can’t find any coco where I live. I haven’t mixed it with perlite. First 3 days it was growing perfect. Then both seedlings suddenly stopped growing and It’s been 8 days now.
The temperature is (22c/ 71f) during the day but at night it goes down to (17c/ 62f) I am putting a dome on them to keep better humidity, if I take the dome off the seedlings will look miserable in only 5 minutes so I can’t even expose it to airflow. Yesterday I tried drying the medium by making holes in case it’s overwatering issue because I don’t even know at this point.

View attachment 1193925
Transplant as soon as you buy some garden lime and perlite. Not vermiculite. Straight peat has a pH of around 4.5.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

You can't add too much perlite. Where do live anyway?

Jakecan

Jakecan

Bump up that temp by maybe a degree or two, fairly negligible. Keep that dome on and maybe try using a spray bottle to mist the substrate as well as the seedling? Your seedling has not developed a good root system so it's very easy to over water them. I tend to just mist with regular tap water for the first week or two. I have never worked with just straight peat moss but I assume it retain water like coco. Without proper drainage or perlite you could easily have over watering issues.

M

Mark4444

Bump up that temp by maybe a degree or two, fairly negligible. Keep that dome on and maybe try using a spray bottle to mist the substrate as well as the seedling? Your seedling has not developed a good root system so it's very easy to over water them. I tend to just mist with regular tap water for the first week or two. I have never worked with just straight peat moss but I assume it retain water like coco. Without proper drainage or perlite you could easily have over watering issues.
I realized I made a big mistake by not adding perlite. I water very little with a sprayer and the spot under the dome is never drying and I can’t take off the dome because of low humidity. I will try to raise the temp today and find a way to add perlite. Thank you for your help

Moeboi

Moeboi

Hello everyone I'm having kinda the same issue with one of mine 2 are looking ok but one of mine just started turning yellow on inside any idea of what it might be. I did all the same way when germinating and put in soil all same soil..first pic is the yellow one..

20211203 171103
20211203 171046
Edinburgh

Edinburgh

You need nitro, ie perlite. Your seedling is wet do not spray with water you water around the seedlings, you never said if they were autos or photoperiod seedlings, a good auto will pop then stop, growing slowly topside till it's root system is developed, use a mix made for weed like fox farm or pro mix, if pH is high take a 16oz cup of water add a small splash of white vinegar stir and give plant go light you can repeat, if pH is low same drill but use baking soda, I shoot for 6.2 or 6.3. Or u can spend ur hard earned dubbloons on pH up/down, remember you want your seedlings reaching for you light not shying, Pic is a dark devel seedling at 5 days note how it is reaching for light? sorry about grow light but you get the jist, seedling has nice strong stem but I use 2 bread ties to hold in place if they droop over, you burn the plastic of half of 1 wire put in dirt well away from seedling this will hold them in place till they can stand on there own this works for me 100% of the time, botanacare pro grow is a nice light food that is mostly fish mulch and nitro I recommend, I grow autoflowers so I use 1ml per USgal half or less of recommend dose, Pic 2 is strawberry mango crumble in med heavy pre flower but will stay in veg mode for awhile, plant smells like coffee rather nice. Leaves are droopy bc it's allmost bedtime and when lights are off they stretch out, have been growing a set a day but went into it's stretch a bit late but trained all branches and in good health. Good luck

M

Mark4444

But perlite or some other potting soil aerator should be available.

I think your problem is the roots can't breathe. They need oxygen just as much as water — way more oxygen than a typical houseplant.
I will try transplanting them to the same medium with perlite added. The problem is they are already in a 5 gallon container. Is it ok to carefully transplant only the seedling spot to the new medium?

M

Mark4444

You need nitro, ie perlite. Your seedling is wet do not spray with water you water around the seedlings, you never said if they were autos or photoperiod seedlings, a good auto will pop then stop, growing slowly topside till it's root system is developed, use a mix made for weed like fox farm or pro mix, if pH is high take a 16oz cup of water add a small splash of white vinegar stir and give plant go light you can repeat, if pH is low same drill but use baking soda, I shoot for 6.2 or 6.3. Or u can spend ur hard earned dubbloons on pH up/down, remember you want your seedlings reaching for you light not shying, Pic is a dark devel seedling at 5 days note how it is reaching for light? sorry about grow light but you get the jist, seedling has nice strong stem but I use 2 bread ties to hold in place if they droop over, you burn the plastic of half of 1 wire put in dirt well away from seedling this will hold them in place till they can stand on there own this works for me 100% of the time, botanacare pro grow is a nice light food that is mostly fish mulch and nitro I recommend, I grow autoflowers so I use 1ml per USgal half or less of recommend dose, Pic 2 is strawberry mango crumble in med heavy pre flower but will stay in veg mode for awhile, plant smells like coffee rather nice. Leaves are droopy bc it's allmost bedtime and when lights are off they stretch out, have been growing a set a day but went into it's stretch a bit late but trained all branches and in good health. Good luck
Your plants looks gorgeous. I wish I live in a place where I can get good products for cannabis grow but even FoxFarm soil cannot be shipped to where I live.
My plants are autos btw the leafs were getting bigger by the hour for the first 3 days then it stopped and I am only giving them 250 PPFD max at this stage.

M

Mark4444

Hello everyone I'm having kinda the same issue with one of mine 2 are looking ok but one of mine just started turning yellow on inside any idea of what it might be. I did all the same way when germinating and put in soil all same soil..first pic is the yellow one..
It seems about the same problem. Let’s make a promise to stick together in this, whoever solves it first let the other know lol. Good luck Habibi!

Moeboi

Moeboi

It seems about the same problem. Let’s make a promise to stick together in this, whoever solves it first let the other know lol. Good luck Habibi!
And this my second grow and I give u my word ill keep u posted on these plants ..I've learned alot from my last grow thanks to thcfarmer its so many people in here that can pin point the problem and help ya get it right trust me im proof I didn't know anything about growing until I joined this..and successfully did my first grow it might have took a year lmao but I did it ..kept track of it on here so I'm trying again and trying to keep track last plants i forgot I planted and they were nice size didn't watch them grow it was pure luck n the help of many in here but this time trying to keep track start to finish so I can do many more

S

sshortguy1

View attachment 1193925
the only thing you can do is through trial & error what works for 1 may not work for you, I talked to my spouse about it & told me you should never listen to others on a forum, she owned a nursery & told me to stay off of here b/c of the hatred, envious, etc, back when i was reading books was a lot better no drama or arguments over something someone thinks plants need more

Saul.Goodman

Saul.Goodman

I just wet my plants...
Supporter
the only thing you can do is through trial & error what works for 1 may not work for you, I talked to my spouse about it & told me you should never listen to others on a forum, she owned a nursery & told me to stay off of here b/c of the hatred, envious, etc, back when i was reading books was a lot better no drama or arguments over something someone thinks plants need more
I mean, think about that though. Everyone is using different environments, lights, substrates, nutrients and growing different strains. Of course there will be differences in opinions as one grow is not the same as the next. Nurseries are no different from one to the next in the way the plants are managed...

The forum is a great place to get a general consensus though along with insight from folks who have some pretty extreme knowledge and experience. So while trial and error works, there are folks here who want to help people avoid those potential problems. Or help fix existing issues. This gets done by proposing multiple solutions or pointers based on one's personal experience and knowledge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom