New Growers question, plants look too light in color on poor persons budget grow

• Thread starter ohionw
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Newty

Newty

I have raised my light and working on getting some Cal-Mag tomorrow. Not sure where to get something local, I live away from all big cities. Are there any box stores that would stock something that would be acceptable?
Just order on Amazon or something and you will have it in a day or 2, plants will be ok for a couple more days.

O

ohionw

The leave on left side looks like it's "tacoing" which also leads me to believe it's a calmag issue.
3 days after water and food.
20240227 191251

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
What would be your guess on the purple stems?
well that’s about it really a guess though here i’d say the light,.
i wouldn’t be concerned of stem colour, geez i have no idea what mine are/were etc,..
you see how your top leaves have a leaf edge curl? that’s an early sign of too much light, so is the lightening of the green between the veins,. your leaf tips or some are burnt so watch over the week or two for changes, colour, growth, over all health,.
i’m not sure if you been feeding or what, so the lightening in colour could be food or light stress,.. i only skimmed through the thread,.

R

RGWD0202

well that’s about it really a guess though here i’d say the light,.
i wouldn’t be concerned of stem colour, geez i have no idea what mine are/were etc,..
you see how your top leaves have a leaf edge curl? that’s an early sign of too much light, so is the lightening of the green between the veins,. your leaf tips or some are burnt so watch over the week or two for changes, colour, growth, over all health,.
i’m not sure if you been feeding or what, so the lightening in colour could be food or light stress,.. i only skimmed through the thread,.
Purple stems could be genetics,
Temps below 60 or magnesium and/or phosphorus deficiency. Make sure your ph is in the proper range or you could get lock out issues, preventing uptake of magnesium/phosphorus look into adding a calmag or just extra magnesium. Being in veg? I doubt it’s a phosphorus deficiency. Always ph your water

If you can provide more details on the grow would be helpful. What are you growing in, light info, temps humidity, feeding schedule, what type of water and how often, etc…

O

ohionw

Temps below 60 or magnesium and/or phosphorus deficiency. Make sure your ph is in the proper range or you could get lock out issues, preventing uptake of magnesium/phosphorus look into adding a calmag or just extra magnesium. Being in veg? I doubt it’s a phosphorus deficiency. Always ph your water

If you can provide more details on the grow would be helpful. What are you growing in, light info, temps humidity, feeding schedule, what type of water and how often, etc…
Cool, thank you. This is my first grow. I'm using RO water. PH 6.5ish. The 3 plants that went in dirt on Dec 25th are in

For food I have

For PH up and down I'm using lime juice and baking soda.
I'm sure there are a bunch of things I should do but working with what I have. I will be getting some Cal-Mag.
I am testing my Tap water on a smaller plant to see if it likes it because it's from the same strain as the 3 larger ones. I might have enough Cal and mag in the water? Totally new to this with hundreds of hours of watching videos. I have a 900 watt older led light that's red and will probably lead to my blindness. I have a second one but when I used it the plants said no. I have a home made tent that is a 6x4. a fan blowing out the top and a fan inside.
One is fimmed, one is topped and one is all original.
20240227 191355

That is a good start. Here are some pics.
20240227 191156
20240227 191206
20240227 191625
20240227 191618
20240227 191410

O

ohionw

The Strain is Joker Candy, bag seeds.

O

ohionw

I have fed them twice. I have these 2 small ones that I started in a combination of the Mothers Earth soil and dollar general starter soil which is peat moss mainly, I mixed some food and blood meal in it and these are them

20240227 191802
20240227 191808

R

RGWD0202

Cool, thank you. This is my first grow. I'm using RO water. PH 6.5ish. The 3 plants that went in dirt on Dec 25th are in View attachment 2127957View attachment 2127956
For food I have
View attachment 2127958View attachment 2127959
View attachment 2127960View attachment 2127961

I'm sure there are a bunch of things I should do but working with what I have. I will be getting some Cal-Mag.
I am testing my Tap water on a smaller plant to see if it likes it because it's from the same strain as the 3 larger ones. I might have enough Cal and mag in the water? Totally new to this with hundreds of hours of watching videos. I have a 900 watt older led light that's red and will probably lead to my blindness. I have a second one but when I used it the plants said no. I have a home made tent that is a 6x4. a fan blowing out the top and a fan inside.
One is fimmed, one is topped and one is all original. View attachment 2127967

That is a good start. Here are some pics.View attachment 2127962View attachment 2127963View attachment 2127964View attachment 2127965View attachment 2127966
The plant tone has the same amounts of calmag and sulfur that you’d find in most of the calmag products you’ll find. So I wouldn’t think you’d need to add calmag. Also with that potting soil combined with the plant tone I wouldn’t recommend adding any of that blood meal. seems like too much N. As far as the light goes, check out getting a new one if you can, there are some pretty good options for less than $100 people on here will be able to recommend, 200 watt led would be enough for 3 plants maybe even 150. Look for Samsung diodes. Don’t waste all that time and money to be disappointed because of a lighting issue… just my 2 cents…

Last edited:
O

ohionw

The plant tone has the same amounts of calmag and sulfur that you’d find in most of the calmag products you’ll find. So I wouldn’t think you’d need to add calmag. Also with that potting soil combined with the plant tone I wouldn’t recommend adding any of that blood meal. seems like too much N. As far as the light goes, check out getting a new one if you can, there are some pretty good options for less than $100 people on here will be able to recommend, 200 watt led would be enough for 3 plants maybe even 150. Look for Samsung diodes. Don’t waste all that time and money to be disappointed because of a lighting issue… just my 2 cents…
I have 2 like this. 900w, only using one.

R

RGWD0202

Cool, thank you. This is my first grow. I'm using RO water. PH 6.5ish. The 3 plants that went in dirt on Dec 25th are in View attachment 2127957View attachment 2127956
For food I have
View attachment 2127958View attachment 2127959
View attachment 2127960View attachment 2127961

One is fimmed, one is topped and one is all original. View attachment 2127967

That is a good start. Here are some pics.View attachment 2127962View attachment 2127963View attachment 2127964View attachment 2127965View attachment 2127966
The 3rd photo down looks a lot like nitrogen toxicity overwatering and too much light… you’ve already fixed your light height. if you aren’t already, let those pots dry all the way back before watering again and don’t add any nutes to your next watering. if using tap water let it sit out for a minimum of 24 hours to allow chlorine to evaporate. Next time feeding go with half of what is recommended.

R

RGWD0202

I have 2 like this. 900w, only using one.View attachment 2128008
I don’t know much about that style I think it’s an older led known as blurples? The website shows it at 366 watts which is more than enough for those 3 plants but those lights are different than what I know. So can’t really give ya much advice there.

O

ohionw

They mislead you by putting watt after 900. The Mars Hydro II came in the 400, 700, 900, 1200 and 1600 model but that's not the wattage. The 400 is a 162 watt, 700 is 340 watt, the 900 is 430 watts, 1200 is 600 watts and the 1600 is 760 watts.
I know for the space if I use 2 it's more than they can handle. I'm sure there are much better quality but that's what I've got right now.

O

ohionw

I don't have experience with blurples but I would use them if I had them anyways.

People are obviously growing just fine with them, there's plenty of reviews online.
Yea, the color is annoying but it makes stuff grow. After my first grow I'm sure I will continue to add things and improve. I'll be happy if I can smoke something I grew, after that the skies the limit.

Top Bottom