New Join... 1st Grow... Is it time to harvest... or what?

• Thread starter SnappyJack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Hi to all you growers and inhalers... 1st grow... plant originally a salvage.. then a re-veg ( that makes it about 28 weeks old) .. now 45 days into (2nd) flower and not sure if it's time to harvest... can't really tell if the trichromes are clear or white and concerned about leaves yellowing... would appreciate some master grower or not... opinions or advice.

Using one 100 watt led (from Zan) and 2 x30 watt extra cheap leds (sorry about the cheapness wasn't sure.. investment vs how much fun ) feeding 1x plus a week 15-30-15 letting dry to toothpick stick before water or fert alternating.

Closup1
Closup2
New join 1st grow is it time to harvest or what 3
New join 1st grow is it time to harvest or what 4
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Hi @SnappyJack and welcome to the farm.

Nope. That plant is not ready for harvest, but the buds look good. The pistils are still very white. They should be dark orange and drooping. The white color tells me they're still growing. They still have several weeks till they're ready to harvest.

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Thanks LoveGrowingIt .. appreciate the reply... in the context of no visible amber trichromes I thought I had another 2 weeks at the least but here where it gets to the what part.... the above images are 2 days ago... See pics below.... this is today.... What's going on with the fan leaves at the bud site?

Topfan
Bilber

Bilber

Hey Snap.....your plant is dying.....very good thing though......

It's called senescence? If I got the spelling correctly......

Towards the end of a cannabis plants life, certain strains will start showing fall colors, which is a natural occurrence......

No need to worry......

The plant looks very healthy....

As love posted above......in a coupleish weeks, your plant will have beautiful coloring throughout......

Keep doing what you're doing.....

Keep us updated......everything looks good from Central NY.....

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Howdy, and welcome to the Farm! 🤠

What strain are ya growing, if you know?

Pure sativas can take as many as 14+ weeks to finish. That looks like definitely sativa or sativa dominant hybrid judging from the leaves.

But yeah looks like you still have 2 or 3 weeks to go, at least. Invest in a good magnifying glass, jeweler's loupe, or a USB microscope and scope out the trichomes. You want at least all cloudy trichome heads, with at least 10% of said trichomes amber. This is a good indicator that you're close to chop time.

Good luck, keep us posted and keep up the good work! 🤠

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Bilber... thanks for the reply and info.... looked into it a little more and found:

Deadstill... thanks for the reply... it was handed to me as a 4" seedling in a debilitated condition last June... with no details.. yes it does have sativa characteristics.

I'll have to take you guys advice and not panic... but you know how us dotting fathers worry about our girls...........

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Hi Yaw ... I'm 2 days into my 8th week and still no signs of the girl by the name of amber.. amber trichrome.. that is!

been battling leaf yellowing , my ph meter and just today my tdc meter... but i'm in the home stretch.. I just hoping this isn't a 12 week sativa

Nosee0
Nosee1

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Thanks guys.. love the input... Gnick55 .. I believe I figured it out ... has something to do with the girls getting real sensitive to pH levels in mid flower.

Well it's a little more than 100 watts (2 other cheapo) (which I keep at 75% to break in the leds,, just my thought) Indecently I just got another one ... 42 bucks.. that's 50 cents a watt and so far no burnt leds on the 1st one after 5 months of daily use (3 in veg) changed it out with the new one the other day... so if it kerplunks i can send it back to Zon for replacement... I really like the led as it seems to be doing a good job... I measure the lumens (yeah I Know... F a bunch of ppfds, pars etc. I want to have fun... not go to college ) at 80,000 at 7 inches ( have to recheck) also have to admit I keep it with an inch above the tallest cola

And most important ... today's update... Have I spotted my first Amber??????

Amb 0

I just circled the ones I was sure about...

I take about 10 pictures daily looking for 1st signs of amber (since last week) I think the macro function on the camera (8meg) is the best overall for me as it gives a wide field of view and can Zoom image file to 150% or more to check for amber

Last edited:
Bilber

Bilber

Yes....those are amber.....

But don't worry about the leaves turning amber........

The calyx is what you're waiting for amber to appear.......

Leaves always change first.....give it time.....looks great.....

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Bilber thanks... let me get this straight... in the above image the greenest thing is a new Calyx.. with white pistils protruding.. and all the things around it are calyx's right ? .. other than sugar leaves... that's where I get a little lost.. as the calyx age they get darker than it seems the sugar leaves obscure it's view... so.. you can tell I'm having a confusing issue here... when you get a chance send me a link to an image where one can clearly define a calyx with amber tri's that are at the idea age/ moment to be harvested... thanks again.

Eledin

Eledin

Yes the calyxes are where the pistils come from. Depending on the variety they can be seen more clearly or not. An example of a ready to harvest bud with clear calyxes:

This of course can look different depending on the strain but thats where you should check your trichomes. I use a shitty hand microscope and honestly I just look the bud overall, when its clearly a leaf I consider it but otherwise goes to the general percentage of amber.

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Eledin.. really appreciate your input.. but I can't tell anything from that image.. about 25 of the trichromes in that image would fit in just one of trichromes in the image I posted this morning.. the left red circle is a calyx

Amb 01

my take at this moment is that "pull the plug day.. is in 4 days" (well we'll see) what I've noticed is that the tops of the calyx are looking a bit "muddy" through loupe ... that will be the start of the 9th week of flower... Not interested in paranoia buzz.. or being nailed to a couch.. so I quess that only leaves one other.

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

About middle of 8th week ( using diff cameras have to work on color balance 1-31c is color I see) let me know your thoughts.... thanks!

1 31c

1 31b

1 31a

Last edited:
Eledin

Eledin

Cool white light is best to detect amber trichomes. I took a deeper look into the first pic, the calyx has some amber aswell. Id say its close to what I woud consider 10% amber, not quite there yet since most amber I see is on leaves and probably the flowering time is about 60-65 days right? So it should have about a week left give or take.
Asd

EDIT: Since its blurry when I zoom in I cant 100% tell if its amber even tho it looks like it but it can be a light thing. Anyway most strains finish in 60-65 days into flowering, what does your strain say?

Last edited:
SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Eledin... thanks.. wow I feel like bit of an idiot... today is actually about day 52 started 10th DEC ( I used laptop toolbar calendar and jumped an extra week into Jan ) .. you mentioned days and I just checked....

Feel free to highlight any findings on this image

Day52

R

rr2435

hi in my limited experience i usually get a small percentage of golden amber trichomes whenever i let them go far enough to the point that most of them arent clear anymore and have the cloudy pearly high thc look . i guess its your call but for me i would let them go awhile longer at least until you see a few more amber trichomes anyway .
they dont change particularly quickly most times so with you checking so regularly ( best plan all around always ) you should be fine. looking good mang !

Top Bottom