New Join... 1st Grow... Is it time to harvest... or what?

• Thread starter SnappyJack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Coming to the close of 9 weeks of flower... ( on Super Bowl Sunday 11th ).. I'm guessing a little after the 10th week... she'll be done

2 10 24

2 10 24 a

I'm seeing a lot more amber.. but don't know if it's close to the !0% level... any thoughts?

Eledin

Eledin

Here's a chart on the main chemical... had thoughts of buying bromothymol compound.. but would take time to utilize...

View attachment 2117915

actually I've have adjusted my method... adding one drop to see what direction it goes ... allows me to make adjustments to test sample quickly.. using 1/3 vial ... getting accurate reading with 2 drops ... I think I've gotten to the point ... depending on the intensity of the color that I've been splitting between 0.5 increments... though it's still mostly a guess.

As I've mentioned I've reduced light by one hour daily and increased temperature (from my previous average of 65 -70F) to 80F.

Did a water / flush today with pH 6.5 plus.. still draining out at 5.5 pH... Should post some images tomorrow...
Yes, I think that just by using less water you can use less droplets, with 2 droplets it works 100% if you have about 10ml or less. One droplet Im not sure, I could try with the plastic test tube half empty and then full a couple of times and see if there is any difference. Good job decreasing 1 hour of light, but the temperature you should keep it as you had it because the plant naturally senses the winter coming when she has less light and it gets colder, so giving her a good simulation on what is like outside is always good. You should ideally decrease not increase it but you shouldnt go lower than 65-70F I think so just keep it as it was.

Eledin

Eledin

Coming to the close of 9 weeks of flower... ( on Super Bowl Sunday 11th ).. I'm guessing a little after the 10th week... she'll be done

View attachment 2118150
View attachment 2118151

I'm seeing a lot more amber.. but don't know if it's close to the !0% level... any thoughts?
Some people would chop it in a couple of days as 60-65 days is what some people aim for and what most strains take at minimum, and definetely if you see that much amber you have many milky trichomes. Most of the amber I see is on the leaves so 1 more week like you said should be fine. If I could check her with a microscope I could be more accurate because some trichome heads pop when they get amber and you dont see the amber without a microscope cause the head is gone, and I could also differenciate better the milky ones, the not so milky ones and the clear ones. If you have doubts its always better to give her a few more days than potentially choping early.
EDIT: I should also mention that my vision is not the best, I should be wearing glasses and I dont. Thats why I got myself a hand microscope, it was too difficult for me to see it right with my phone's camera, or any camera I tried for that matter. Anyway, more input from different people would be appreciated.

Last edited:
SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Eledin... thanks for the feedback and information... I put the temp up as I was at 65-70 the whole flowering.. most of the top sites on weed indicated a temp of up to 80 during light... as of yet I've seen no adverse effects since than other than an upsurge in water intake... as to be expected.

My one drop method works because the color changes dramatically when your off 2 pH points.. no need to add more drops...you know your out of range.

As far as the chop... I've calmed down a bit...as I mentioned before it's hard to get a picture of the trichome on the flower / bract because of the sugar leaf blocking view... what I've figured out is taking a picture straight down of the flower.. something I neglected to do because of leaving the light in place... take a look at the images below.

I have scopes... one is USB very difficult to take an image on a swaying plant with a swaying arm see pink shaded images:

Scop

The other requires to remove the bud.. imagine if i did that every time I wanted to check progress.. I wouldn't have a plant left..

Yesterday before lights out... all are taken point straight down from the top:

2 10 24 amb 2

I'm starting to see a lot more amber....

2 10 24 amb 3

Hey Bilber thanks for stopping in ... started 12/12 on 12/10/23... a few days later on 12/13/23 I photographed the first pistils. Today is a total of 9 weeks.... minus 2 days for weeks of flower...

Popinpis

Let me know guys.... thanks.

2 10 24 amb 4
Last edited:
Eledin

Eledin

Eledin... thanks for the feedback and information... I put the temp up as I was at 65-70 the whole flowering.. most of the top sites on weed indicated a temp of up to 80 during light... as of yet I've seen no adverse effects since than other than an upsurge in water intake... as to be expected.

My one drop method works because the color changes dramatically when your off 2 pH points.. no need to add more drops...you know your out of range.

As far as the chop... I've calmed down a bit...as I mentioned before it's hard to get a picture of the trichome on the flower / bract because of the sugar leaf blocking view... what I've figured out is taking a picture straight down of the flower.. something I neglected to do because of leaving the light in place... take a look at the images below.

I have scopes... one is USB very difficult to take an image on a swaying plant with a swaying arm see pink shaded images:

View attachment 2118721

The other requires to remove the bud.. imagine if i did that every time I wanted to check progress.. I wouldn't have a plant left..

Yesterday before lights out... all are taken point straight down from the top:

View attachment 2118723

I'm starting to see a lot more amber....

View attachment 2118725

Hey Bilber thanks for stopping in ... started 12/12 on 12/10/23... a few days later on 12/13/23 I photographed the first pistils. Today is a total of 9 weeks.... minus 2 days for weeks of flower...

View attachment 2118722

Let me know guys.... thanks.
Yes, the temperature you changed to is the correct temperature, but towards the end is common practice for many people to lower light exposure like you did and also temperature so the plant knows it has to hurry up before winter hehehe. Those pics are so much better! I can confidently say that I would chop any day now, but I do chop early, I look for a good brain high so I dont like much amber, you could let it go for more time. I was already half convinced due to the lack of white pistils besides a part with new growth in one of the buds plus all the amber on the leaves. Thats just me though, lets see what others think first maybe.

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Yes.. I'm more interested in the high you describe... I like to do things... oppose being zonked out... the only time I like being zonked.. is when my body wants rest.

It seems the tops of colas all the way down (8 budlets from the top) all have brown pistils... changing to mostly white on the lower 6 budlets.

Today's images:

02 13 24 e

The above image picks up color shading from the burple light.. but it seems to accentuate the tri's that have amber coloring.

02 13 24 a

where as under the white light.. amber seem less noticeable.

Would you say the trichomes are mostly white?

Eledin

Eledin

Yes, I would say they are mostly white, there's always gonna be clear ones but theyre mostly white. If the plant has had problems it might also have more clears than it should have even when its showing amber, I had that happen to me when I tried to top and train a 3 month auto that didnt respond very well. You also mention the lower buds have mostly white pistils? Could we get a picture of those buds? Just to see if its worth it to wait for them or not, or perhaps harvest the top half first. If theyre small then I would say its better to harvest all when the colas are at their peak for the high youre looking for, which seems to be the case as far as I can see in those buds. Honestly, if youre in a hurry, I would say harvest the ripe ones and let the non ripe ones (the ones with many white pistils) mature for longer, if you have done the flushing period already that is. With organics you can skyp it but I like to give them 7 days anyway, most people Ive heard or read seem to agree that the buds come out better tasting when the plant fades out towards the end. That said there's also a study where people blindly test non flushed vs flushed organic and most people chose the non flushed organic one so... up to you, there you have the info hehe.

Last edited:
cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Yes.. I'm more interested in the high you describe... I like to do things... oppose being zonked out... the only time I like being zonked.. is when my body wants rest.

It seems the tops of colas all the way down (8 budlets from the top) all have brown pistils... changing to mostly white on the lower 6 budlets.

Today's images:

View attachment 2119932
The above image picks up color shading from the burple light.. but it seems to accentuate the tri's that have amber coloring.

View attachment 2119933
where as under the white light.. amber seem less noticeable.

Would you say the trichomes are mostly white?

Hard to tell on my phone, but I see amber, just not a lot, I aim for like 15 or 20% amber which is a complete eye ball guess on my part. I like the extra CBN but some people dont. Gotta kind of get a feel for it over some grows and you will be good 👍

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Eledin ... I think I want to harvest as a whole .. to keep it "one and done" .. I'll try to separated the first top 4" buds into one pile... the next 8 inches to another and the bottom last to another pile... 3 mason jars with different effects? ( I'm not really concerned about the lower buds.. I estimate they contribute 10% to the total.

For the past 1.5 week .. been just giving pH (last one 7.0) adjusted water... still low pH.. with 275ppm run off ... She still sucking 1 gallon in 2 day period.. Not in a hurry... can you clarify.. would you cut now or in a few days from now?

cannafarmer420 .. thanks .. for my 1st harvest... wanting something to kick ass a bit... going to start looking into Indica seeds or others... looking for recommendations.

02 13 24 o

02 13 24 l

02 13 24 h

I'm going to redo the last image.. apparently the systems narrows tall images... as this one was 800pix wide

Can someone shoot me a link to the most recommended drying method... drying in the dark .. cut in the morning..etc.

Eledin

Eledin

I would cut today if youre looking for around 10% amber. You could keep her a few more days for more THC but it will also increase the CBN quite a bit, making the ratio of THC CBN more balanced. The more amber you have the more flavour the strain will lose too, you obviously need some amber because otherwise it means that there are too many clear ones but there's that. As for cuting and drying this one is very complete:
I would add: cut in the dark period as plants send the chemicals they use for photosyntesis to the roots when theyre sleeping, cleaner smoke. Use mason jars, avoid plastics.

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Eledin... thanks.. for watching my back... as you may have noticed I have tried multiple ways and even forums to get a general consensuses... and haven't been able to acquire such... info / reply's has been across the spectrum from my trichome are too clear... to wait another month and a lot in between

When I look at my (trichome) I do notice that the bulb tends to be white... while a lot of the stems appears to have a translucent clarity

In the end of this episode... I will most likely end up making a gut feeling call as to the termination date whether it's tomorrow or in 4 days or more .. in the interim... I will keep fumbling along here and elsewhere till I acquire what I need to know.

One popular site states:

When 70% of these trichome heads are milky and 30% amber, it is the perfect time to harvest mostly Sativa hybrids and long flowering strains (like Haze). It is also the best moment to harvest plants for making hashish.

My plant appears to be a sativa hybrid

Another site:

Here it shows the bulb heads as being milky.. though the stems appear translucent.

When 70% of these trichome heads are milky and 30% amber, it is the perfect time to harvest mostly Sativa hybrids and long flowering strains (like Haze). It is also the best moment to harvest plants for making hashish.

And: Some of these trichomes are milky in color, although others are still clear. Better to wait a few days to harvest.

Last edited:
Eledin

Eledin

Eledin... thanks.. for watching my back... as you may have noticed I have tried multiple ways and even forums to get a general consensuses... and haven't been able to acquire such... info / reply's has been across the spectrum from my trichome are too clear... to wait another month and a lot in between

When I look at my (trichome) I do notice that the bulb tends to be white... while a lot of the stems appears to have a translucent clarity

In the end of this episode... I will most likely end up making a gut feeling call as to the termination date whether it's tomorrow or in 4 days or more .. in the interim... I will keep fumbling along here and elsewhere till I acquire what I need to know.

Wow did you make that video? It looks crazy good and the music is relaxing. Watching them so close I can agree with people saying to wait 1 week or so, it appears that the amber is mostly in the big leaves which you will most likely remove anyway. If you can keep that high quality close up coming we can see how fast it matures for a super accurate reading. This is why I was asking for other opinions, unless I can see it close like that I dont think Im the most reliable person since my vision kinda sucks hahaha.

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Eledin... Today was the day that my dear Amber.. passed away. Below multiple images ... from different Buds...

12 24 A

12 24 B

12 24 C

12 24 D

Cause of death.... TO MUCH AMBER... go figure!

I will be holding her funeral and wake at another time and date... all are welcome.

Eledin

Eledin

Sorry Ive been away from home for a few days. Yes it looks a bit too mature for your liking but is not over matured, some poeple actually like that much amber. I know is not what you were aiming for but considering is your first grow and it was a salvage Id say you did a really good job!
Seems like the 11th when I told you I would cut any moment would have been ideal, once the amber starts appearing faster the process from mature to over riped can just be a few days. Anyway as I stated, good job! Its still gonna get you high.

Bilber

Bilber

Hey Snap.....sorry to hear it was too ambered......yeah....I'm not for the amber.....when I'm checking trichs, I go all over, top to bottom, to see where they stand....I'll always have more amber on the top buds, vs. the lower nugs....

SnappyJack

SnappyJack

Hey Eledin.. Bilber and Gnick55... thanks for checking in... somehow.. I feel the love...

Life is all about learning... If you are not learning maybe your not living.. I've learned (amber) .. sometime things are not what they appear.

Actually the grow turned out pretty good... currently curing.. however I've partaken in but a small yet generous sample.. and found it to be of great satisfaction.. not a downer at all... actually... I'm more about the journey then the destination...

My newest thread:

Last edited:
Top Bottom