New member, New grow. BOG & CaliConnection, 600w

• Thread starter ssteely71
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

ssteely71

Nice setup,I may have missed it but what size is your tent? Bummer about your Tahoe as I would have loved to have compared it to mine.
Im only using half of a 4x8x8 tent & I still have a few TahoeOG and BuddhaTahoeOG seeds left to try in the near future. Thanks for your comments.

S

ssteely71

I'm running out of room!! Lol if more than 7-8 of these are female I will have to donate a couple to a friends outdoor grow.

Only one has shown its sex for sure , a Lifesaver male that got chopped. Several others are going to show me their sex in a few days.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

anyway, i just wanted to jump in and suggest that if you use a 1 or 2 inch layer of hydroton or grorocks or even gravel on top of your pots your gnat problems should be over, ...i prefer this personally to using sand because it is much easier to seperate post harvest, you can never get all the sand out so eventually it gets mixed in and becomes part of the soil mix, ...it also can be washed into the rootmass with waterings so it sometimes needs to be reapplied, with the hydroton that won't be a problem.
...good luck man, i'm looking forward to following along.
peace, bozo

Hey JAB - thank you thank you for the suggestion... gravel is nice and cheap, easy, closer than grow store too... pea gravel is the size to aim for, or just any layered medium the (goddamned) fungus gnats cant get through?

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

yeah, basically, you're robbing the larvae of any habitat to hatch and grow in as they live in the top inch of the soil i believe, anyway, gravel should do the trick just fine.

...and you're welcome man, someone else shared the tip with me so i'm just passin' it on is all and i'm glad to do it in my turn.

peace, bozo

Dunge

Dunge

BTi larvicide -calling all microbiologists
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/bti-larvicide-calling-all-microbiologists.62595/

I like this thread, and apologize if this looks like a hijack.

I can add that my experience with excluding gnats from ANY access to media is a giant pita.
Sand is heavy, gnats just search out pot holes, and I just didn't think it was worth doing after throwing myself at it for some time, and viewing the gaps that open along the pot edge with any topping.
I'm currently attempting to dry the pots out between waterings. I'm told this will help. And Gnatrol.

edit: my gnats would laugh at hydroton as a barrier.

S

ssteely71

BTi larvicide -calling all microbiologists
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/bti-larvicide-calling-all-microbiologists.62595/

I like this thread, and apologize if this looks like a hijack.

I can add that my experience with excluding gnats from ANY access to media is a giant pita.
Sand is heavy, gnats just search out pot holes, and I just didn't think it was worth doing after throwing myself at it for some time, and viewing the gaps that open along the pot edge with any topping.
I'm currently attempting to dry the pots out between waterings. I'm told this will help. And Gnatrol.

edit: my gnats would laugh at hydroton as a barrier.

I agree that the gnats I'm battling would also laugh at hydroton or gravel. I'm in smartpots so there are no holes to search out. I use crushed up mosquito dunks ontop of my soil and it helps but only so much. I will probably top dress with a layer of sand if they get out of control. I go as long as possible between waterings as it is. Every 3-5 days usually. I've found that sand gives me the most bang for my buck.

Boomer Sooner

Boomer Sooner

I had a huge problem with fungus gnats in a small grow I had with Airpots and coco. I tried everything, but predatory nematodes where the only thing that ever really worked. Matter of a fact they worked so good I most had a t-shirt made that said I Heart Nematodes. Matter of fact I think I still might do that.

S

ssteely71

Just a quick update.
5 ladies & 5 males so far. 5 still left to sex.
Ladies are BMRs #2 and #4 and Lifesaver's #2, 4 & 7. All males were tossed except one. A vigorous SourBubble male is being isolated ( outdoors in the shade) for pollen collection. He has a smell like tires. Here he is getting ready to move.

He's exactly 6 weeks from seed.
Also pulled BMR#4 put her back to veg , she will be cloned out for production run and given to a few patient friends as a spring gift for their gardens.
Will update again as soon as sexing is complete with more pics.
Peace

S

ssteely71

Weekly update. Well sexing is complete and I'm stoked! The last of Bogs gear to show sex all turned out female. Out of 15 seeds I got 9 females. BOGs gear is a joy. I have 2 SourBubble , 3 BMRs and 4 Lifesaver females. They all got hit with Caps bennies and are very happy.

I kept all of them in bloom except for SourBubble #3 which is being put back in veg area and will be cloned for a production run and as clone gifts for a few friends. Here she is in training.

Thanks for the interest and comments.
Peace

CBDEMON

CBDEMON

The plants are coming along real nice man, good work! I've really got to try some BOG gear one of these days because I keep seeing so many awesome BOG grow logs. How are you liking the smart pots, and how often do you water with them? I ran one plant in a 3gal smart pot because I had never used them before and I found that I had to water like once or twice a day- didn't like it too much. It could've just been my soil mix though, I like to run the Black Gold/Roots Organic + perlite. Take care man.

-CBDMN

S

ssteely71

The plants are coming along real nice man, good work! I've really got to try some BOG gear one of these days because I keep seeing so many awesome BOG grow logs. How are you liking the smart pots, and how often do you water with them? I ran one plant in a 3gal smart pot because I had never used them before and I found that I had to water like once or twice a day- didn't like it too much.

@CBDEMON . Bogs gear is definitely enjoyable to grow and I was convinced and impressed with the quality of the medication from what I sampled of Bogs SourBubble and SourGrape, the only Bog gear Ive tried. The SB has a "happy" element to it that puts a grin on my face and is something Id like in my garden forever. Im searching for the "happy high" pheno, lol.

I like the smartpots so far. I have been watering only once every 3 days on average, but I water thoroughly when I do. Then I let them get pretty dry on the top few inches of soil to help against my arch enemy~ fungus gnats.

S

ssteely71

Ok. Time to meet the Harem.
These nine BOG ladies have me very excited. Up first is Lifsaver 2,4,6 & 7. Nice vigorous plants. A little bit touchy about nutes so far. Nice stem rub aromas.

Next up are my three BlueMoonRocks. #1,3&4 Love the compactness and fragrance theses ladies give off.

Finally my SourBubble ladies. One was left in in flower the other is in training and being vegged for cloning.

Topped and in veg

So there are my nice nine BOG females. I'm about nine days from flipping to 12/12 Will consider today as first day of flowering. Let me know what you think.
Peace

S

ssteely71

Day four of flowering and the stretch is on !! Lol.
Things looking good in the bloom tent. We have some close friends that we donated a couple of plants to their outdoor grow. We sent out a SourBubble and BMR female that will go into 50 gallon boxes outside. That leaves me 2 BMRs and 4 Lifesavers in the tent. Let me say. Lifesaver #2 is very strong smelling very early in flower.
I was so tired of high temps. I was running steady at 83-84*f and plants just weren't " looking real happy" . I went against farmers advice and bought a portable AC for my tent. I have a two year geek squad warranty on the thing. BUT. Temps at 70-76*f now. The ladies are very happy. Have a look and thanks for stopping by.

S

ssteely71

Week one of flower and things look ok. Switched from MH to HPS .The Lifesavers are doing the best and just starting to frost up. The BMRs are less vigourous since the flip and a little slower but still adjusting to the HPS. Thanks for peeking in.

Ohh I almost forgot. Got a couple of Kimbo Kush from ExGen in the stable now in veg.

S

ssteely71

OK I am ashamed......but I can handle the criticism.
I caused two of my ladies to herm. Both of my BMRs. Im not totally sure of exact cause because Im a newb. I had to cull them::(
Im guessing it was a combo of enviromental changes in a short period.
I added AC and walked daytime temps down to avg of 72*-74*f from temps in the low 80s over a weeks time.
I might of let airpots closest to the fan get a little too dry.(The BMRs)
Switched from MHS to Hps.
??
They both looked a little rough and were obviously slowing down, had what looked like a cal/mag def in new growth, and when I inspected the lowest nodes of each lady , they had nanners.:banghead:
This is all grower fault, and has been an issue in my indoor grows over the last year. Ive always attributed it to my high temp growing conditions so Im going to move past it and consider problem solved and hope that new temps will able me to dial in from here. My 4 Lifesaver still in bloom are at week 2 and looking very,very nice.

S

ssteely71

I will try to redeem myself by rocking the finish on these beautiful Lifesaver's. All four are frosting up nicely. It's week 2 of flower. Nice sweet smells when I open the tent. Very little stretch and looks like I will have some nice colas.

S

ssteely71

Can't describe the overdrive the ladies are on. Fed them some molasses and 48 hours later huge resin increase. BOGs Lifesaver is easy to dial in and rewarding even to stress farmers like myself. Lol here is the runt #4 outfrosting the rest.
Day 17 of flower.

S

ssteely71

It's the third week of flowering or 4 weeks from flip depending on how you count it. Great smells are permeating my grow area. Glad I upgraded my filtering capabilities. Things looking good. Here is my favorite pheno. Lifesaver#7. She was mainlined to four tops. She has a scent like fruity pebbles cereal. She isn't the smelliest or frostiest but she looks like a yielder.
Thanks for peeking in. Image

Top Bottom