New RDWC grow featuring Mendel’s Æther by Brother Mendel

• Thread starter SweetLeafGrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I think I may have answered my own question. Pretty sure it's calcium def, very early and I remembered this morning when I got up, she had dove downward to 5.0 pH over night, the res has still been getting the buffer back to 100% since I did the res change, I forgot to boost everything up before I went to bed the night before, not a huge deal I'm thinking.

What I am thinking is I had a lockout for a few hours and hence, the beginnings of a lockout def looking like a cal def. I'm not going to do anything at this time except monitor things and see if it gets worse. If it gets worse, I'll add some calmag and if not, I figure this lockout diagnosis is correct.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

So I am realizing this gal was a bit more off than I thought. I changed out the res and reset everything on Tuesday and yesterday she was already super happy with the change, today, even more so. I looked back at the photos from Tuesday and it's night and day difference to me in the improvement in just two days! Maybe I am just imagining it but to me, it's huge.

Seeing a steady drop in the pH as expected, buffering with the last but of Silica Boost that I have, and then mixing up a batch of Agsil 16 that I hope will last much longer than this overly diluted stuff that is mostly water. I expect the buffer to stabilize in the next couple of days.

Other than that, super excited about this strain the further I get into the grow. So far, she looks to be the frostiest plant I have ever grown and getting some nice coloration already.

I also had some pollen from a Grandaddy Purple male I had found earlier in the year and pollinated one of the branches just for the heck of it. Might be fun trying to see what that cross could produce at some point.
Those buds are gonna be huge.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Those buds are gonna be huge.
I hope so bro!

Today I got a look and it looks like things have got a bit worse overnight with whatever deficiency I am looking at. I have to admit I am a bit perplexed at this point.

I am still seeing just a bit of N excess, some darker green on the lower parts and a few new reverse taco leaflets. But then, I am also seeing what looks to me like a calcium deficiency, see new photos. So this read is a bit more complex than I am used to and could use some extra eyes on this to see if I can figure out what is going on.

0509CECD 6631 41C4 959A 8C91323A57E4
C6ED2F5A 3E3F 496E ADD2 103A219BFC12
332137F2 B34B 4682 938B 3AFB7646CF8F
BDBEE8B7 46D7 486D A33B D3A3AB033A5C
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I think I may have answered my own question. Pretty sure it's calcium def, very early and I remembered this morning when I got up, she had dove downward to 5.0 pH over night, the res has still been getting the buffer back to 100% since I did the res change, I forgot to boost everything up before I went to bed the night before, not a huge deal I'm thinking.

What I am thinking is I had a lockout for a few
hence, the beginnings of a lockout def looking like a cal def. I'm not going to do anything at this time except monitor things and see if it gets worse. If it gets worse, I'll add some calmag and if not, I figure this lockout diagnosis is correct.
My thoughts with the advantage of hindsight.
I think your pretty heavy on the cal mag to start, arnt you starting at something like 7 ml/gal

Ive found white tips to be early signs of wanting calcium
Screenshot 20230303 013806 Samsung Internet

Screenshot 20230303 014315 Samsung Internet

Your thinking from the beginning of this thread, too much n, im thinking as im looking they are on the verge of mabe saying too much. But you did mention more light green in real life
Screenshot 20230303 015908 Samsung Internet

Screenshot 20230303 020559 Samsung Internet
steamroller

steamroller

That is Ca def in my eyes.
The question now is, is it pH related. Coming from soil I can't say.
I have read under 5.4 will cause some Ca to lock out, but I don't think you have been that low.
If you weren't already N rich it would be good give the Jacks 15-0-0 cal. That is what I used in soil..

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I have read under 5.4 will cause some Ca to lock out, but I don't think you have been that low.
It did happen overnight on Wednesday night. I got home from work and forgot to check it before I went to bed. Got up in the morning and it was teetering between 4.9 and 5.0 pH, my bad as the res pH always drops the first few days after building a new res. I normally go in before bed and adjust for those first few days after a res change but I forgot this night. I thought that may have been the lockout that caused this but it has got worse this morning after I corrected the pH on Thursday morning. I don't have enough experience to know how long or how severe of a lock out that might have caused but I suspect that was the cause of what I am seeing now. Just not sure how much longer it will appear to be getting worse, or if there is something I am missing here.

steamroller

steamroller

I would introduce a small, measured amount of Ca. and watch.
I can't say what would be a normal full dose..
I never had to measure EC or anything with soil.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

What does the recommended amount add up to in EC or does that not figure into the equation?

I think the recommended ec is around 100-150 ppm but not sure on that bro. I was looking back at my notes and I do think you are right @smokedareefer, she is light on cal/mag. I normally go 5ml per gallon but for some reason here I only went 3. 🤷‍♂️ Don't know what the hell is wrong with me, lol

I just added 15ml calmag to the res and that should get me to around that 5 number that has always worked.

Are they eating?
Yes, definitely. Dropped by about 50 ppm overnight last night.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

I think the recommended ec is around 100-150 ppm but not sure on that bro. I was looking back at my notes and I do think you are right @smokedareefer, she is light on cal/mag. I normally go 5ml per gallon but for some reason here I only went 3. 🤷‍♂️ Don't know what the hell is wrong with me, lol

I just added 15ml calmag to the res and that should get me to around that 5 number that has always worked.

Your working on your doctorate

Anthem

Anthem

Are you using the jacks 5-12-26 RO formula?

Top Bottom