New Room And First Grow With Under Current!

• Thread starter yukon369
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

Unicorns

My chiller and air pumps are outside the the room. I have a passive air intake with no ac and leds so no heat from those. I live in a cool climate so shouldn't have to worry about summer temps. I am going to add 8 600 verts next week for side lighting. Then will see how the temp is. Then I might need those parkas.What temp do you like to run your water in the system? I'm at 64 and liking it a lot even thought of going to 62. Thanks for the advice.
I also run at 65 degrees .
I think I need the parkers in my little 10 x 12 room with 7 1/2 foot ceilings. Room g
65 is the magic number for me. With all the tanks, rez, and piping properly insulated (and not just wrapping that shitty reflectix over it) my chiller doesn't even break a sweat.
Not all of us can afford to do things right from the start. We learn and we buy when we can. That's why I have 600 w lights and you probably have 1000s!
break a sweat.[/QUOTE]

humid when these girls get going.

DapperDon

DapperDon

Not all of us can afford to do things right from the start. We learn and we buy when we can. That's why I have 600 w lights and you probably have 1000s!
break a sweat.

It has nothing to do with money my friend. If you look at the stainless steel project @Wavegem has going on, you will see he has a great example of how to properly insulate on the cheap. Just take some of that time you surf the web and just take a moment to look up insulation materials and how to apply them. The few bucks you spend now will save you hundreds on your power bill down the road as well as not strain your equipment so hard.
As far as comparing lights, that is not a metric that makes one persons setup better than the next. The equipment I have is from a slow evolution of trial and error. Mostly error because I believed in the marketing hype. When I got into this, it was right on the cusp of the new generation of digital ballasts breaking on the scene challenging the old magnetic ones. Then right behind that was the new DE tech that changed everything in my game. I was just fortunate that I was able to sell off my older equipment and recoup the money I invested to get new gear. There is nothing wrong with 600's bro. I have to start my cycles with the lamps dimmed down and then gradually raise the wattage in stages so that only the last 3 weeks or so do they get full power. And with these fixtures becoming more affordable, I am thinking about getting a couple of the 650 Flex Gavita units to see if they can indeed match or beat a 1k SE unit. I budget myself for this just like I do with any other hobby I have so it isn't like I have a swimming pool filled with money (just the hot tub) :) My garden is for my personal enjoyment and I don't sell or give anything away. I like it that way.

yukon369

yukon369

Throwing in side lighting soon. MY hps light order got screwed up my so it will be a few more days. So the girls are just used to these high powers leds. Should i not turn up the hps to full power as soon as i put them in? Maybe run them at 50% for a few days then go up slowly? Going to be a sweet hybrid system I hope.

IMG 2157
U

Unicorns

My chiller and air pumps are outside the the room. I have a passive air intake with no ac and leds so no heat from those. I live in a cool climate so shouldn't have to worry about summer temps. I am going to add 8 600 verts next week for side lighting. Then will see how the temp is. Then I might need those parkas.What temp do you like to run your water in the system? I'm at 64 and liking it a lot even thought of going to 62. Thanks for the advice.
I noticed your air pumps on the floor early on. I was taught that air pumps should be higher than the water level in buckets in case power goes out and the line would fill back to pump which could damage it. Unless the line has a check valve. I'm not sure what the experts here think?? Also What Chemdog are you growing? The reason I ask is if it's Chemdog 91 and you are still using CS nutes you will need to add in 2 weeks into schedule. Dan from CS had told us that repeat week 5 and week 6. So you end up with week 11 being the flush week.

yukon369

yukon369

I noticed your air pumps on the floor early on. I was taught that air pumps should be higher than the water level in buckets in case power goes out and the line would fill back to pump which could damage it. Unless the line has a check valve. I'm not sure what the experts here think?? Also What Chemdog are you growing? The reason I ask is if it's Chemdog 91 and you are still using CS nutes you will need to add in 2 weeks into schedule. Dan from CS had told us that repeat week 5 and week 6. So you end up with week 11 being the flush week.

Yes I have moved the air pumps, I figured out the real fast. :) As for the feeding schedule with the CS nutes I'm sort of fallowing it. I upgraded my return pump to double the GPH and added much better air stones I could instantly tell much more oxygen in the system. So I'm running quite a bit lower ppms and things are looking good. The solar storm LED are really intense but they just can't get to the side. I know I should grow SCROG with them, but I want to grow Trees Like Wavegem. So 8 600's hps should do the trick 4 on each side.

U

Unicorns

Update!!! First day of week 4 bloom. :) PPM 300
Looking Good. Got a question. PPM only 300? I thought you were using CS nutes. Week 4 high yield 500 scale should be around PPM 600. Feed the girls for big buds.
Unless I am missing something. When you get to where you add more boost than bloom A and B the pH goes a little crazy. At least when I ran Chemdog. Watch for it. Other threads on it in the Farmer . Speaking of Chemdog she should be adding more leaves to really look like a girl shortly. She taste great but is very leafy.

yukon369

yukon369

Looking Good. Got a question. PPM only 300? I thought you were using CS nutes. Week 4 high yield 500 scale should be around PPM 600. Feed the girls for big buds.
Unless I am missing something. When you get to where you add more boost than bloom A and B the pH goes a little crazy. At least when I ran Chemdog. Watch for it. Other threads on it in the Farmer . Speaking of Chemdog she should be adding more leaves to really look like a girl shortly. She taste great but is very leafy.
Hey thanks. Well the reason I'm at 300 is I doubled the size of my return pump like Wavgem recommends, he said he has peaked at 450 week 8 on a 3 lb Tree with only veg A&B. I'm using Bloom A&B now so will see what happens. I tried the ppms at 40o and my ph started to drop but once I brought ppm down its swinging back up slowly now. I do have the ppms at 400 in my top off that is 200 gallons and they are drinking 30 gallons a day. It's pretty wild for my first grow haha. Once I hit 6.1 on my ph I bring it back to 5.1 with my controller and let it swing up again. I'm taking notes for sure and just going to do just one maybe two strains next run.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
nice. many of us have found it's better to keep the tds lower than what the tables say. 400-450 sounds about right. and i avoid the boost as well. all it gave me was wild pH fluctuations.

it's difficult to see where your cages stop at the top, but hopefully they are tall enough that you'll be able to tie your branches back to them . . . that's their purpose. when those buds get heavy those branches are going to be bending . . . and you don't want them to break or get too close to the lamps.

DapperDon

DapperDon

@DapperDon actually his r4 foamular doesn't insulate any better than reflectix which is adv as r3 to r21 depending on application. Plus reflectix costs less and is easier to handle where wavegem had to ghetto tape together all the corners and edges.

http://homedepot.com/p/Owens-Cornin...and-Groove-Insulating-Sheathing-37L/100320340

http://homedepot.com/p/Reflectix-16...-Insulation-with-Staple-Tab-ST16025/100012574

Just saying
Actually the reflectix having a sliding scale of R value performance makes it inferior to that of the Foamular which has a static performance rating and is easier for fabrication. While @Wavegem does lose points for aesthetics with his duct tape and exposed areas, I think that there many ways to skin that cat. The point I was trying to make was that you don't need to be rolling in the monies to have a decent setup. Just saying.

F

FooDoo

The sliding r value is simply because of application and not because of lack of performance. They say in the attic it performs better than on your garage door. Or if you double layer it you get r21 which is 5x better than wavegems.

But I agree, its very cheap to insulate the system and it does go along way. Another thing wave gem uses is the black foam sleeves that usually go over hot water pipes and ac lines to keep them from sweating and insulating them. I will be buying some and putting them on my hard PVC returns after this harvest . its like $2 per 6 feet. Damn good deal

DapperDon

DapperDon

I did that right out of the gate. Once I got everything wrapped and insulated I noticed my chiller didn't cycle near as hard as it did without insulation. My next project is to take some of the Sunbrella material I have left over from when I had a custom bimini top made last week and some foam insulation/ reflectix and make a tight fitting "jacket" with either velcro or tactical clips to go around my tanks and rez.

U

Unicorns

Hey thanks. Well the reason I'm at 300 is I doubled the size of my return pump like Wavgem recommends, he said he has peaked at 450 week 8 on a 3 lb Tree with only veg A&B. I'm using Bloom A&B now so will see what happens. I tried the ppms at 40o and my ph started to drop but once I brought ppm down its swinging back up slowly now. I do have the ppms at 400 in my top off that is 200 gallons and they are drinking 30 gallons a day. It's pretty wild for my first grow haha. Once I hit 6.1 on my ph I bring it back to 5.1 with my controller and let it swing up again. I'm taking notes for sure and just going to do just one maybe two strains next run.
I didn't realize you were using veg nutes for the first 4 weeks of bloom. Are you trying to stretch them through the roof?
If you wanted that much stretch why didn't you add CO2?

yukon369

yukon369

I didn't realize you were using veg nutes for the first 4 weeks of bloom. Are you trying to stretch them through the roof?
If you wanted that much stretch why didn't you add CO2?
I'm not using Veg. Wavegem did one time. I'm using bloom a&b just not at the recommended level the chats says.I did Veg for a little to long though. :)

Top Bottom