New to all this PH/PPM

• Thread starter Pilted
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pilted

Pilted

So this watering it was just cal-meg, no ferts.

Going in PH 6.01 PPM 352

#1 PH 6.32 PPM 550
#2 PH 6.43 PPM 580
#3 PH 6.31 PPM 450

So been doing a lot of research on PPM and from what I have been reading if the PPM coming out is higher then going in I have salt build up.

Well since I gave no ferts (only cal-meg) should I be concerned that the PPM in runoff is higher then what I put in? Is this just left over ferts from last feeding 3 days ago?

Plants looking much better then before, and everything I have read online seems to be telling me I have a salt build up and need to flush. I don't think this is right as the plants seem to be doing well.

Anyone with more knowledge on this, please chime in Im a total noob here.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So this watering it was just cal-meg, no ferts.

Going in PH 6.01 PPM 352

#1 PH 6.32 PPM 550
#2 PH 6.43 PPM 580
#3 PH 6.31 PPM 450

So been doing a lot of research on PPM and from what I have been reading if the PPM coming out is higher then going in I have salt build up.

Well since I gave no ferts (only cal-meg) should I be concerned that the PPM in runoff is higher then what I put in? Is this just left over ferts from last feeding 3 days ago?

Plants looking much better then before, and everything I have read online seems to be telling me I have a salt build up and need to flush. I don't think this is right as the plants seem to be doing well.

Anyone with more knowledge on this, please chime in Im a total noob here.
Not necessarily…

What media are you in?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Top soil from back yard. Out side garden, fruits vegetables grow well in it.
Through away your ppm meter its only good to track trends in soil and you have no way to know what that ppm is made up of. Many things contribute to ppm. In soil you can see 3000ppm and still be fine. Its just depends on the soil makeup.

Go by your plant response… if you want more control over the feeding then switch to soiless or hydro.

Ph of run off is still go to know.

What nutrients do you have?

Reactions: PK1
Pilted

Pilted

Fox farm doing 1/2 does repeating week 4
Foxfarmsoilfeedchart

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Orange and green nutes on that chart. No open sesame.
Ok stay at week 4… water to get minimal run off and try feed feed water. Pay attention to the plants and post pics so we can see how they are responding to nitrogen

Pilted

Pilted

Yeah currently I am supplementing cal-meg one feeding, then ferts next feeding. They dry out in about 3-4 days.

Do you think it would be better to do the cal-meg and ferts together, or does it matter it's split up?

My thought is maybe they don't have enough magnesium when they get the ferts. Just not sure that's the way it works.

Water, tap water. Ph 7 PPM 100 it goes through RO at water plant, but I assume they add something to it after that.

Plants been responding well to the last few weeks of this schedule.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah currently I am supplementing cal-meg one feeding, then ferts next feeding. They dry out in about 3-4 days.

Do you think it would be better to do the cal-meg and ferts together, or does it matter it's split up?

My thought is maybe they don't have enough magnesium when they get the ferts. Just not sure that's the way it works.

Water, tap water. Ph 7 PPM 100 it goes through RO at water plant, but I assume they add something to it after that.

Plants been responding well to the last few weeks of this schedule.
Yeah they will… if you can link your water report i can tell you how good or bad it is. Or just screenshot it and black out any identifiable info if you rather.

Just feed the cal mag with the ferts.

Pilted

Pilted

Currently this is #2
IMG 20220815 120619225 HDR
IMG 20220815 120631270 MP

The color of the leaves looking much better then last week's pictures.

I don't have a water report, just research I have done on there website. I don't think the water is bad as my outside garden been doing very well fruits/ vegetables.

And inside not to bad either (I think)

I think the issue before was PH related, lack of ferts (or not utilizing the nutes because of PH and/or magnesium issues) and magnesium.

I'm still test my runoff, the comment on dirt and PPM makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you for that. I should be able to get a good base line for my dirt while things going good and then watch for any wild changes to detect issues. At least that's my goal, maybe it doesn't work this way idk? Next time maybe I try some coco.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Currently this is #2
View attachment 1271475View attachment 1271476
The color of the leaves looking much better then last week's pictures.

I don't have a water report, just research I have done on there website. I don't think the water is bad as my outside garden been doing very well fruits/ vegetables.

And inside not to bad either (I think)

I think the issue before was PH related, lack of ferts (or not utilizing the nutes because of PH and/or magnesium issues) and magnesium.

I'm still test my runoff, the comment on dirt and PPM makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you for that. I should be able to get a good base line for my dirt while things going good and then watch for any wild changes to detect issues. At least that's my goal, maybe it doesn't work this way idk? Next time maybe I try some coco.
Yeah you can ise pom to check trends but honestly 2000ppm + is not uncommon with healthy plants.

Pilted

Pilted

I will be. Doing feed, feed, water, on the next 3 waters.

Now on the minimal runoff this will be difficult as the dirt drains very well. Even watering very slowly it's difficult not to get runoff. I usually leave the runoff in the trays and the soil sucks it back up by end of day.

But I will try to water very very slow see if I can minimize runoff.

I'm assuming less water = more watering which = more food.

How the tops of this plant is lightening up on color it makes me think she is hungry again, so that schedule seems logical. And reducing the water intake seems logical. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Maybe if I can't avoid runoff I will empty the runoff so the soil can't suck it back up.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Run off is your friend. Can you lift the pots on those little stands or use a shop vacuum to suck up the water?
Not with organic soils water imo. It removes a lot of the buffering capacity and nutrients. Not so bad on the nutrient side but on the buffering side not so good

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Run off is your friend. Can you lift the pots on those little stands or use a shop vacuum to suck up the water?
Regarding runoff, I suspect being mindful of contact time may be important. Water that channels rapidly through the soil probably won't be affected very much by whatever is in the soil. Type of pot matters in this regard. Fabric pots drain differently from plastic pots. The stands are called plant elevators or trivets. I ordered some from Amazon for my next grow along with saucers to put them in. Here's a picture of what I ordered. I'm thinking they'll work well with fabric pots.

Trivent for Plant Pots   Screenshot 2022 08 15 135411

Pilted

Pilted

Yeah I think the bigger heads are producing nodes quick enough, but I wanna strengthen the smaller ones a little bit, switching to the feed, feed, water cycle will clear up the issues and allow the heads I have in place start stacking the nodes. Idk I'm new, that's what's going on in my head anyways. Also a lot of heads for a small area, trying to train the heads in a way that will make a canopy, I need them to get a little more height so I can spread them out a little.

I know they will stretch when I flip them but I have no idea how much or if they will spread out on there own. I might have too much for the area I have........ Idk. Im about 20 inches from light to plant right now at 80% on dimmer. I have about 30 inches I can raise the light and in flower I wanna be 12 to 18 inches at 100% power. (From what I have read) so I have another 12 inches I can let them grow upward before I flip, and using that space to strengthen the heads has been my goal from the start.

If any of that sounds off please let me know I have only read about it, but in my head it sounds like a good game plan.

Pilted

Pilted

Hmmm then I'm need to get creative, maybe remove the inline fan put it outside the tent. Add another 36' and I'm only at 14 inches from light in my available space if I flipped now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom