New To Coco

• Thread starter Mitgrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mitgrower

hey guys I'm new to growing in coco I just switched from promix. How often should I feed nutrients and how many gallons at a time I'm in 15 gallon pots feeding with heavy 16 at 1300ppm. Thanks for the help

M

mulehunter

hey guys I'm new to growing in coco I just switched from promix. How often should I feed nutrients and how many gallons at a time I'm in 15 gallon pots feeding with heavy 16 at 1300ppm. Thanks for the help
Coco is hydro treat it like soil for the first couple weeks until you establish a root zone then feed everyday ,usually feed feed then flush with a compost tea my ,high side on ppms in late flower are 600ppms

B

buttercuts

if you mix in more perilite than you will need to feed more. just watch that pot and make sure to let it dry out a little before feeding again.

hermit186

hermit186

There are a lot here who use coco I have been using it for many years now I use 70/30 coco to perlite I think many have mix it many ways but most settle here if your going to do top water or you want no salt build ups. Get a bag of the courses coco and only put on the very top I put on about an Inch to inch and a half. If stops a lot of pests and the mold and mildew that can happen if your Humidity moves around a lot. If you top water with coco one of your biggest problems is making holes in the top with the flow of water and even a 1/2 to 3/4/ of an Inch of disruption will cause problems for the plant the bigger chunks of coco huskes stop this from happening. The top of your plants roots will will not have air injected by the flow of the water making creators. Roots need o2 but not air to the roots that close to stalk, I think its a good Idea. Looks good to.

madscrapper

madscrapper

Do not let it dry out..and don't flush unless your addressing an issue.jmho but I've been growing happily in coco without issues for awhile now.
Always feed till you get run off..I like mixing in perlite as well,but had same success with none.also,if not using a coco specific nutrient,grab some calmag-plus...part of the plus is iron.coco binds not only to cal and mag,but iron as well.ph as you would hydro.personally I like low 5's in veg,high 5's in bloom.swing a bit every so often.
Screenshot 2016 01 24 22 32 19

madscrapper

madscrapper

AFTER a flush you don't let them dry out a little madscrapper?[/QUOTE
Not really...I feed right after a fix flush.then wait till the pot gets lite again.but that's just me.not saying its the right way.just how I do things

madscrapper

madscrapper

Sorry..my comment is in the quote.
So yeah,I let it get lite after feeding after flush...let it get lite,dry out,,guess its the same thing.just different way of saying it.and I feed right after flush then let get lite/dry out a bit

B

buttercuts

the plant will tell you if its happy. they should have leaves reaching up for the light. it seems like a lot of problems start if you overwater. drooping leaves, discoloration, gnats!

madscrapper

madscrapper

the plant will tell you if its happy. they should have leaves reaching up for the light. it seems like a lot of problems start if you overwater. drooping leaves, discoloration, gnats!
Hard to over water coco my friend..completely different from soil.each time u water in coco u push out salts,old oxygen,and pull in new oxygen..in soil/spag the more you water the less oxygen.that's why its conciderd hydro and pH as such

tobh

tobh

Supporter
@madscrapper covered pretty much what you need to know.

Imo, never feed straight water, even during flushes for problem solving. At minimum you should feed 1/4 strength nutrients, you can shock your root zone with straight water, say in the middle of veg. Water to 10%-20% runoff every time. The more you can water, the better your yields will be as well.

When testing the medium pH, do a slurry test. Pay attention to your runoff EC to keep things in check, runoff will indicate if things are getting hectic in the medium.

Also, expect exponential growth over soil growth. Promix is similar so I imagine you're already accustomed to rapid growth rates.

The only time you can really overwater coco is if your rootzone is in terrible shape to begin with, so once you have a solid rootzone don't be scared to water frequently. Flowering is the time to increase your waterings every day, between 3-5 have shown real promising results in many drain to waste setups.

madscrapper

madscrapper

@madscrapper covered pretty much what you need to know.

Imo, never feed straight water, even during flushes for problem solving. At minimum you should feed 1/4 strength nutrients, you can shock your root zone with straight water, say in the middle of veg. Water to 10%-20% runoff every time. The more you can water, the better your yields will be as well.

When testing the medium pH, do a slurry test. Pay attention to your runoff EC to keep things in check, runoff will indicate if things are getting hectic in the medium.

Also, expect exponential growth over soil growth. Promix is similar so I imagine you're already accustomed to rapid growth rates.

The only time you can really overwater coco is if your rootzone is in terrible shape to begin with, so once you have a solid rootzone don't be scared to water frequently. Flowering is the time to increase your waterings every day, between 3-5 have shown real promising results in many drain to waste setups.
Yes sir...%100 agreed..I have a res with airstones with a drip emitter on a timer set up to feed 3 times a day in bloom.I use jacks salts(same batch for over a year)so I'm not getting killed by buying Nutes.the girls thrive under this format..only improvement I'd like to make is converting to a flood and drain system like u spoke of..

madscrapper

madscrapper

Also,I've heard others disagree with this but coco(imo)brakes down over time and looses its posterity. I noticed my 5th+ gen coco has moisture much longer and growth slowed down a lot..

E

EastCoast710

don't need anything more then 5 gallons of coco. and ucan grow 10 footers.. its not like soil.. also its all about feeding u can grow a monster in a beercup if u water/feed properly.

madscrapper

madscrapper

don't need anything more then 5 gallons of coco. and ucan grow 10 footers.. its not like soil.. also its all about feeding u can grow a monster in a beercup if u water/feed properly.
I only use 1-2gal pots..granted I grow mid sized plants,but I agree that u don't need big pots when using synthetics/mineral based nutes in coco.in soil the root mass is directly linked to how much food can be uptaken/used,,bigger microbe population,bigger better healthy root mass (organic growing),,but imo and little exspiriments,when using cheated nutes,in coco where the oxygen ratio is great and moisture doesn't suffercate the roots,the plant can take in more then what it needs with little root mass,,with everything being dialed in.This is all just my opinion and what I beleave to be fact,so please,no one chew me up:)

Limonene

Limonene

Yes sir...%100 agreed..I have a res with airstones with a drip emitter on a timer set up to feed 3 times a day in bloom.I use jacks salts(same batch for over a year)so I'm not getting killed by buying Nutes.the girls thrive under this format..only improvement I'd like to make is converting to a flood and drain system like u spoke of..
i do something similar to this too. I mix 60/40 coco perlite and feed 4 times a day in bloom when lights are on. i try to use the smallest sack i can get away with too. I grew in pebbles dwc for years and i much prefer coco.

madscrapper

madscrapper

i do something similar to this too. I mix 60/40 coco perlite and feed 4 times a day in bloom when lights are on. i try to use the smallest sack i can get away with too. I grew in pebbles dwc for years and i much prefer coco.
I'm right there w ya..I also use 30/40% perlite,,,i was running a drip emitter system on a timer feeding 3 times a day.I'd love to run a flood and drain table tho.gonna build my own eventually

Limonene

Limonene

I'm right there w ya..I also use 30/40% perlite,,,i was running a drip emitter system on a timer feeding 3 times a day.I'd love to run a flood and drain table tho.gonna build my own eventually
yeah i have a recirc drip system too. Im getting nearly the same gpw as before but my quality is a lot better. I love coco.

Top Bottom