New to hydroponics, assistance needed

• Thread starter Lynch_Ironside
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Well maybe I dropped the ball there but had thought if the water was clear I was good to go.
I dont think so... I have seen more than my share of bacteria and algae/diatoms in my life which is what you had. The dust would be grainy and settle on the bottom not slimy and grow on tubing etc.

Which is completely normal btw and a good thing. This is why we clean between grows.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I dont think so... I have seen more than my share of bacteria and algae/diatoms in my life which is what you had. The dust would be grainy and settle on the bottom not slimy and grow on tubing etc.

Which is completely normal btw and a good thing. This is why we clean between grows.
[Milson looked up from his screen. Of course AquaMan would be comfortable in hydro after years of balancing water chemistry for life with his aquariums.....]

Carry on!

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Today's update, I guess this is kinda turning into a grow journal now. So last night I noticed a spike in humidity due to the lights shutting off and a decrease in temp so I unplugged the humidifier, plugged it back in this morning. I need to get this on a timer.
Also something curious. my ppm doesn't seem to be dropping. Its stayed at 580 the past couple of days. Could it be the adjustment in vpd, less transpiration, less nutrient uptake? Ph jumped about .4 in 24 hours.

20201218 092412
20201218 092403
20201218 092359
20201218 092309
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Today's update, I guess this is kinda turning into a grow journal now. So last night I noticed a spike in humidity due to the lights shutting off and a decrease in temp so I unplugged the humidifier, plugged it back in this morning. I need to get this on a timer.
Also something curious. my ppm doesn't seem to be dropping. Its stayed at 580 the past couple of days. Could it be the adjustment in vpd, less transpiration, less nutrient uptake? Ph jumped about .4 in 24 hours.
If your ppm is staying the same and water level is going down then you are about bang on. A slight increase is also a good place but if its dropping you want to up the nutrients a bit. So I'd say your bang on because they are eating as much as they are drinking.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

If your ppm is staying the same and water level is going down then you are about bang on. A slight increase is also a good place but if its dropping you want to up the nutrients a bit. So I'd say your bang on because they are eating as much as they are drinking.
Makes sense man! 👍

Badchoice

Badchoice

Didn’t I post a pic of the a water level/ppm/ec status and what’s it doing with details earlier on which could have saved this question ? 🙂

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Didn’t I post a pic of the a water level/ppm/ec status and what’s it doing with details earlier on which could have saved this question ? 🙂
Not that I recall, I'll go back and look. If you did my apologies, there's so much information on here it's a lot to retain. And I'm not the sharpest bulb so some times I have to be told or shown more than once 😂

Badchoice

Badchoice

Yeah I think so... its a good basic chart there is a bit more to it but as a general guide that chart rocks.
Yeah for just general use it’s helpful, kindof just gives the general idea falling res static ec and ppm means sweet spot “” and with the other tad bits if your having confusion on stuff. I would save it on your phone I did I got a whole album set aside for just nute charts temp humidity ppm ec charts and etc all just stuff to have on hand

C8322D82 832E 460E 8903 486105A5E939
Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Yeah for just general use it’s helpful, kindof just gives the general idea falling res static ec and ppm means sweet spot “” and with the other tad bits if your having confusion on stuff.
Dude I even took a screenshot shot as a reference, I remembered as soon as I saw it! 😂 thanks man!

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Update, took a couple of fan leaves off of both and took 2 puny branches off of the plant on the right. Res ppm dropped 10 to 570, temp holding at 66, 1.08 kpa, tent temp at 72, rh 44,

The bucket ph keeps jumping up on me. I wonder if it has something to do with me spacing out and forgetting the calmag until the end? Jumped to 6.38 from 6.01, I'm going to bring it down little by little throughout the day.

20201219 092824
20201219 092819
20201219 092815
20201219 092748
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Update, took a couple of fan leaves off of both and took 2 puny branches off of the plant on the right. Res ppm dropped 10 to 570, temp holding at 66, 1.08 kpa, tent temp at 72, rh 44,

The bucket ph keeps jumping up on me. I wonder if it has something to do with me spacing out and forgetting the calmag until the end? Jumped to 6.38 from 6.01, I'm going to bring it down little by little throughout the day.
Your res ph should increase daily as the plants are eating. This is absolutely normal and the drift you have is perfect IMO. I still feel like Phing down to 5.6 and letting it drift to 6.0 is a good idea. Should take about 2 days then PH back down. Not uncommon to have to ph adjust every 2-4days.

If you want to lower the rate of drift you can slightly increase the alkalinity a bit. It will take more acid initially to lower the ph but will make a for a slower drift.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Your res ph should increase daily as the plants are eating. This is absolutely normal and the drift you have is perfect IMO. I still feel like Phing down to 5.6 and letting it drift to 6.0 is a good idea. Should take about 2 days then PH back down. Not uncommon to have to ph adjust every 2-4days.

If you want to lower the rate of drift you can slightly increase the alkalinity a bit. It will take more acid initially to lower the ph but will make a for a slower drift.
Good to know, I'll give it a try. I wouldn't have mentioned the ph drift except it's in the bucket with the seedling. I read something along the lines that as the plant feeds it raises ph because of the the positively charged ions dispelled from the roots? And different forms of nitrogen can have different effects?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Good to know, I'll give it a try. I wouldn't have mentioned the ph drift except it's in the bucket with the seedling. I read something along the lines that as the plant feeds it raises ph because of the the positively charged ions dispelled from the roots? And different forms of nitrogen can have different effects?
Yes ammonia sourced nitrogen (which we want to keep below 5% of nitrogen source in hydro) will lower the media PH as the plant takes it up. Nitrate nitrogen will cause the media PH to rise as the plants take it up. As you said its due to the ion exchange. There are a lot of moving parts with ion exchange but as for nitrogen that's one effect the plants have on the media PH.

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Update, added 5 more autos and another reservoir, the tent is cramped now to say the least, but I can still squeeze in there so no worries.
The first res is still holding steady. Ph at 6.01 this morning. Water uptake is less than I expected, I haven't added any water in 3 or 4 days. Roots look healthy. Water is sitting about an 1-1.5 inches below the pots. Lux 30000
Found an odd leaf on one.
Added a larger humidifier. I wont have to fill this one twice a day👍
New reservoir at 330 ppm, ph 5.68 lux 12000

20201220 102901
20201220 102856
20201220 102849
20201220 102832
20201220 102826
20201220 102655
Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

So my first set of plants have been hanging for 10 days at 56 to 60 humidity. Buds feel dry, but stems are not "snapping"
Should I jar them up?

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Are you trying to snap the stalk or the stem?

At 10 days I'd jar them and see.

Dwcmagic

Dwcmagic

So my first set of plants have been hanging for 10 days at 56 to 60 humidity. Buds feel dry, but stems are not "snapping"
Should I jar them up?
Yeah usually by day 10 you can jar them. Ive done it in as little as 6 with outdoor grown plants, indoors was about 8 days. I usually set a test bud to the side and in about 7 or 8 days i cut off a piece and see how it burns. Some stems just dont snap. Usually small branches are ready first and they wont snap. Just dont forget to burp the jars daily

Top Bottom