New to this and need some help please!

• Thread starter Bode180
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ganjadad

Ganjadad

I haven’t watered the plant since Wednesday of last week, is this still causing the humidity issues? I put the moisture reader as far as I couldn’t and does t read anything, put my finger in and feels dry. I’ll be moving the tent into the garage tonight in hopes of eliminating the issue. I think it being in the shed and having some rain the past 2 days is causing the issue, had the exhaust fan and oscillating fan running all night and the humidity was up at 75%. The temp didn’t fall below 65 inside the tent and now today although the temp is steady at 74 the humidity is back up to 67% or so.
Get a dehumidifier if your gonna stay in the shed

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I haven’t watered the plant since Wednesday of last week, is this still causing the humidity issues? I put the moisture reader as far as I couldn’t and does t read anything, put my finger in and feels dry. I’ll be moving the tent into the garage tonight in hopes of eliminating the issue. I think it being in the shed and having some rain the past 2 days is causing the issue, had the exhaust fan and oscillating fan running all night and the humidity was up at 75%. The temp didn’t fall below 65 inside the tent and now today although the temp is steady at 74 the humidity is back up to 67% or so.
I think the outside environment is the biggest contributor to the excess humidity right now. That isn't something you'll easily control without the use of a dehumidifier ... which brings us to another point. I'm not entirely sure how well a dehuey will work in a garage. It would have to be pretty air tight or when your electric bill comes, you'll think you were dehumidifying the whole county. The garage may be better than the shed, but you're still fighting a hostile environment.

If it's not been watered since last week and the pot is light/soil feels dry/probes dry, it needs water. Just for now, keep your oscillating fan running 24/7 along with your exhaust system.

Edit: The smaller space of the shed might work better with the dehuey as mentioned by @Ganjadad

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Feel the leaves. Are they dry, firm and getting brittle? Or are they super soft and flexible?

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Unless it’s sealed it won’t keep up as you will try to dehumidify the outdoors as well
True but most of the sheds that Ive seen are relatively smaller and almost as sealed as a grow tent so a dehumidifier should keep it it check. A garage in the other hand that I’ve seen are 15x20 yet sealed good but to much sqft for a small dehumidifier to handle. So unless it’s a barn with major gaps and cracks in it the small dehumidifier will work better in the shed rather the garage imo

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

True but most of the sheds that Ive seen are relatively smaller and almost as sealed as a grow tent so a dehumidifier should keep it it check. A garage in the other hand that I’ve seen are 15x20 yet sealed good but to much sqft for a small dehumidifier to handle. So unless it’s a barn with major gaps and cracks in it the small dehumidifier will work better in the shed rather the garage imo
But grow tents are typically used inside your home where it's possible to control the environment with a few controls. Outside? I suppose its possible in some climates but it will be a battle for sure.

I'm in Michigan, and I can heat my greenhouse if I wanted to. It has electricity and LP heat installed. It's just not really practical in my eyes to push my setup past mid October. Maybe his setup can be different, but for me ... I'm already back to growing inside where climate control is much easier.

I'm not saying it can't be done. It probably can be ... but at what cost? Would it make sense?

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

If you do move it in the garage of course elevation is key. Concrete is cold. I would try to hang silver lining tarps or panda poly around it to try to minimize the sqft so it’s easier to control temps and maybe blankets behind that to insulate the area. Shit id try anything really haha

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

But grow tents are typically used inside your home where it's possible to control the environment with a few controls. Outside? I suppose its possible in some climates but it will be a battle for sure.

I'm in Michigan, and I can heat my greenhouse if I wanted to. It has electricity and LP heat installed. It's just not really practical in my eyes to push my setup past mid October. Maybe his setup can be different, but for me ... I'm already back to growing inside where climate control is much easier.

I'm not saying it can't be done. It probably can be ... but at what cost? Would it make sense?
Very true, when I lived in northern Cali and grew in the garage in winter I had a hard time with the cold. If he kept it in the shed with a heater and dehumidifier with the fans and maybe lined the shed with tarps or poly he might be able to pull it off but yes I’m indoors right now as well to make it easier and that’s really where he should be during winter. He’s just has to find the right spot and make it work

Last edited:
B

Bode180

I think the outside environment is the biggest contributor to the excess humidity right now. That isn't something you'll easily control without the use of a dehumidifier ... which brings us to another point. I'm not entirely sure how well a dehuey will work in a garage. It would have to be pretty air tight or when your electric bill comes, you'll think you were dehumidifying the whole county. The garage may be better than the shed, but you're still fighting a hostile environment.

If it's not been watered since last week and the pot is light/soil feels dry/probes dry, it needs water. Just for now, keep your oscillating fan running 24/7 along with your exhaust system.

Edit: The smaller space of the shed might work better with the dehuey as mentioned by @Ganjadad
Watered her this morning, didn’t want to run into the same issue as before so errored on the side of caution. Put the moisture meter into the bottom 1/4 of the pot sideways and still did t see anything registered after slowly pouring in about a liter of water. Should I let her completely dry out before defoliating? Also have her elevated off of the tray she was sitting in.

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Watered her this morning, didn’t want to run into the same issue as before so errored on the side of caution. Put the moisture meter into the bottom 1/4 of the pot sideways and still did t see anything registered after slowly pouring in about a liter of water. Should I let her completely dry out before defoliating? Also have her elevated off of the tray she was sitting in.
Definitely need to water more. Until you see some run off. Better to saturate the whole pot less often rather than little water more often. The bottom soil needs to get saturated then it needs to get almost completely dry. I would defoliate now, big fan leafs and especially in the middle so you don’t run into mold issues. That’s good you got her elevated and out of sitting water

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

@Ganjadad gave you a pretty good answer. The only thing I would add is go slow with the defoliation. Take the worst off now but don't be too aggressive. You can do this again if needed in another week or so.

B

Bode180

So it’s almost like grass in terms of watering, infrequent saturation as opposed to scheduled short waterings. Saturated it this evening and now know the difference in weight I’m looking for. Also gave a small haircut to the bigger fan leaves in the bottom, good enough for now? Also quick question about mold. Is it possible to run into mold issues even with an oscillating fan and in-line fan running 24/7?

906F46E4 921F 4E2E 84B9 1477B5A2E320
15EC41FF 34D2 4F19 B3AA 1248EB8A5F0A
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yes, because mold is actually a fungus. If spores are present and humidity is too high, the oscillating fan might not move enough of the humidity away from the interior of the plant. Inside where I can control it, I like to be 50% or under humidity when the buds begin to swell up. However, if you keep the air moving and the humidity in check, you'll probably never see it. This is why tents work best inside.

I know at least for now your choices are garage or shed. You'll have to be on top of things if your in a cold weather climate. If you're ever able to bring it inside, please do ... it will be far less work for you.

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

So it’s almost like grass in terms of watering, infrequent saturation as opposed to scheduled short waterings. Saturated it this evening and now know the difference in weight I’m looking for. Also gave a small haircut to the bigger fan leaves in the bottom, good enough for now? Also quick question about mold. Is it possible to run into mold issues even with an oscillating fan and in-line fan running 24/7?
Yea it is a weed, like in a lot of grasses. They like going thirsty. It’s better for them. Yea that’s good enough for now but take it slow but keep up on it so it’s a easy but going hair cut until end. Yes very possible, mild spore are everywhere just waiting for the right environment to spawn

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Growing indoor or outdoor take fungi very seriously. It’s worse than spider mites. Prevention is the strongest way to combat it

B

Bode180

Moved her into the garage and definitely helped bring down the humidity which is now around 60%. I see what you’re saying with the concrete, next move will be to insulate her from the bottom and maybe wrap the tent in some hot water heater non fiberglass insulation. I believe I’m about to enter the 4th week of flower so should have another 2 to 4 weeks left. Wondering if I can go ahead and defoliate some more now that things somewhat stabilized?

1FC82447 A57E 4599 84D5 50ABC731F94A
F48098B1 8BC5 4D7F AE5B C8B29B43D7BE
4BE982CD AD9C 4F00 9DB4 160C7456F3D7
TSD

TSD

Looking better, I honestly wouldn't defoliate too much more unless it's just the sickly looking leaves, she needs those the solar panels to make you delicious buds. You could stretch her open a little if her stalks aren't too woody, tie her gently with some foam wire through holes in the pot, that will allow better light penatration without sacrificing her ability to actually absorb the light... plus you have space so should have good airflow as is. I know some people are defoliation nuts, I do quite a bit myself at times, but I'm outdoors and have thousands of leaves to spare... if you go overboard it can be counterproductive for sure.

B

Bode180

The advice I received from this thread saved her previously, needing it again here. Pretty close too, if not already there, harvesting her now. Running into an issue with the potential harvest and that’s the northeast winter. Tonight despite my best efforts I can’t hold a temp about 45 with the tent in the garage and feel like I’ve gone through all this effort and don’t want to loose her now. What am I aiming at for conditions wise come drying her out after harvesting her?

1CB79D39 7226 4559 9812 83708A87CBDE
6D7FACB1 6513 49D1 8DFC C3F531A87DAF
201743A4 9B73 49E8 8A45 B2C7CB01E584
663B44D5 AA88 480F A179 99D0AB276442
B7E1D353 73C6 41E4 835E 4A66ACD1F07D
Ganjadad

Ganjadad

The advice I received from this thread saved her previously, needing it again here. Pretty close too, if not already there, harvesting her now. Running into an issue with the potential harvest and that’s the northeast winter. Tonight despite my best efforts I can’t hold a temp about 45 with the tent in the garage and feel like I’ve gone through all this effort and don’t want to loose her now. What am I aiming at for conditions wise come drying her out after harvesting her?
She looks really good, I love the purple fade, the drying conditions need to be 60F-65F and 45%-55% RH for maybe 10 days but you’ll tell by bending a stem. If it just bends it’s not ready, if it snaps it’s ready for curing. You’ll also want a fan blow around the buds not directly on them. Can you bring them inside in a closet?

B

Bode180

She looks really good, I love the purple fade, the drying conditions need to be 60F-65F and 45%-55% RH for maybe 10 days but you’ll tell by bending a stem. If it just bends it’s not ready, if it snaps it’s ready for curing. You’ll also want a fan blow around the buds not directly on them. Can you bring them inside in a closet?
I’ll be able to cure them in a closet, will burp them in the garage but I won’t be able to have them dry out there. I only have a seeding pad in there now and it’s not able to keep it warm enough. I didn’t have my inkbird when I put the space heater in the tent. My only worry is having a humidifier running in a confined space with this space heater. I’ll have it kick on at 60 and off at 65 and pray. Will obviously be present while I try this and thankfully it’s a short week work wise.

Top Bottom