Newb first time grower starting to feel like I have a black thumb...

• Thread starter Nate_in_AK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I think I'll try it.
I've also switched my exhaust fan to maximum speed full time operation, in hopes it will draw down the temperature a few degrees as well. I was just setting thresholds on the controller and letting it run on auto.

That is still a good thing to practice. You just set your thresholds such that it never shuts off. 🍻

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

I am rotating frozen 20oz water bottles into the rez twice a day. Water temp is down below 70. I also worked the humidity down to the high 60s. I didn't get any pictures today, but the Bubbagum plant is looking a bit better still. BB Kush.... well, the jury is still out. I'm hoping she'll do OK, but she's worrying me.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I am rotating frozen 20oz water bottles into the rez twice a day. Water temp is down below 70. I also worked the humidity down to the high 60s. I didn't get any pictures today, but the Bubbagum plant is looking a bit better still. BB Kush.... well, the jury is still out. I'm hoping she'll do OK, but she's worrying me.

Keep the faith brother!!! until they fall over, there is always "hope" and something to learn for the next grow. 🍻 🥂

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Gotta thank user ru_knuts for asking about water temp. I realize now I was making an assumption that the tent and water temperature would coincide. I can't buy a chiller right now, so I'll do some research into what I can do to drop the water under 75F. I'm reading that 70F would be better.

Below 70 is just the minimum safe zone. I run my rez @ 63-65F. That margin has come in handy a couple of times when i have lost power and only the circulation pump is is running on battery power. Yes i have a ups specifically to keep the water & one small air pump running. Still water is deadly, combined with no air is certain death in a very short time. 🍻 🥂

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Water temp was 69F when I changed the ice bottle this morning. It could just be wishful thinking, but I think the roots look fuller and whiter already...but that seems optimistic after such a short time. Regardless, Bubbagum is keeping my spirits up:
Bubba1

She's gained a little height, and the main 'trunk' is fattening up:
BubbaSide

BlackBerry Kush is well...

BBkush1

She hasn't dried up and turned to dust yet... but very little change the past 48 hours. This strain seems to be less resilient than the Bubbagum.

Air temperature, humidity, pH, water temperature are all good now. Nutrient concentration is the only unknown since I don't have a meter, and it will be a few weeks before I can get one. The only estimate I have on nutrients is that I started with 100% vendor potency, but diluted it down to at least 20%. I'm seriously considering further diluting BlackBerry girl, but trying not to change more than one thing at a time.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Water temp was 69F when I changed the ice bottle this morning. It could just be wishful thinking, but I think the roots look fuller and whiter already...but that seems optimistic after such a short time. Regardless, Bubbagum is keeping my spirits up:
View attachment 950666

She's gained a little height, and the main 'trunk' is fattening up:
View attachment 950667

BlackBerry Kush is well...

View attachment 950665

She hasn't dried up and turned to dust yet... but very little change the past 48 hours. This strain seems to be less resilient than the Bubbagum.

Air temperature, humidity, pH, water temperature are all good now. Nutrient concentration is the only unknown since I don't have a meter, and it will be a few weeks before I can get one. The only estimate I have on nutrients is that I started with 100% vendor potency, but diluted it down to at least 20%. I'm seriously considering further diluting BlackBerry girl, but trying not to change more than one thing at a time.

Excellent!. Yes, it could be wishful thinking; however things happen rapidly in hydro, good and bad! As for your problem child, sometimes it is just bad genes.

With regards to your nutes, the current size is just about right for 25% strength IMHO. Others may reply with other recommendations based on their experience. 🥂 🍻

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Brief update: Things have been going well since I started cycling frozen water bottles into the rez's. Both plants have perked up a bit, so I trimmed a few of the older damaged leaves. New pictures.

BlackBerry Kush:
IMG 20200316 155705
IMG 20200316 155712

Bubbagum:
IMG 20200316 155654
IMG 20200316 155659

I noticed that my exhaust air-flow is pretty light, even with the fan on max. Uncoupled from the charcoal filter it pulls a decent wind, but the filter drops it to a very light breeze. Is this normal?

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Brief update: Things have been going well since I started cycling frozen water bottles into the rez's. Both plants have perked up a bit, so I trimmed a few of the older damaged leaves. New pictures.

BlackBerry Kush:
View attachment 951170 View attachment 951171

Bubbagum:
View attachment 951168View attachment 951169

I noticed that my exhaust air-flow is pretty light, even with the fan on max. Uncoupled from the charcoal filter it pulls a decent wind, but the filter drops it to a very light breeze. Is this normal?

Question: Are you pulling intake air in through the filter or pushing exhaust air out of the filter? You may also want to check the cover cloth and rinse it out with water (remember to shake well before you put it back on or it will be a dust magnet and defeat the purpose). I would also shake the filter and make sure it still rattles (charcoal is still moving, thus it is not clogged with dust & moisture "mud"). 🍻 🥂

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

I followed the diagram that came with the setup: Filter -> Fan -> Exhaust Out

ru knuts

ru knuts

They look greener and seem to be in the road to recovery, good job. Keep doing what your doing.
Did you get any Hydrogard or good bacteria for the rez?

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
That is exactly why i asked. So did I. reverse that. Do a direct suction from the tent ( you can put the fan outside the tent/cabinet to give yourself more room inside). Then attach the filter to the ass end of the fan. It will remove the heat and still capture the smell from getting out into the surrounding area. That should give you a negative tent pressure that will pull outside air in through your tent/cabinet vents that should have some type of filter screen to block critters.

p.s. I also find i get better performance and temp control if i take the air from one of the top vent ports on the tent/cabinet. Not to over-state the obvious... Hot air rises..... 🥂 🍻

Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

So you are blowing air INTO the filter, instead of sucking in from the filter port? Is your filter outside your tent then?

Also - no hydro guard yet. I am flat broke this month. Keeping a close eye (and nose) on the roots.

ru knuts

ru knuts

So you are blowing air INTO the filter, instead of sucking in from the filter port? Is your filter outside your tent then?

Also - no hydro guard yet. I am flat broke this month. Keeping a close eye (and nose) on the roots.
Southern AG from Amazon about $8 for 8oz it should last a couple years. Basically 1/20 mil per gallon .

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter

Yes sir they are! 🥂

2019 11 25 17 28 52
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

We have different filter models; this is how I have mine installed. Sucking through the filter doubles the surface area of the filter intake, which should result in longer life between cleanings. Come to think of it, this was a used kit and I really should have washed the filter. Thanks for mentioning it, I'll report back on the results.
IMG 20200316 171238

T0W3RH4ND

T0W3RH4ND

Exactly! If things go according to plan your tops will be so heavy they will need additional support. 😊 I am finding that the trick seems to be to get it set to the right height for the particular plant being grown. I am on my second grow using a net. It helped, but it was still too low.

As you can see i mis-judged the correct height by just a bit... 😄
🍻
I see you are using Kind LED as well. I have a few questions, if you dont mind.

Top Bottom