NL #5...where did it go?

• Thread starter DeJaVu Seeds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

Ten years ago, you could buy Northern Lights #1, #3, #5 and a lot of genetics were introduced to California and the world. I wish I had saved some of our seeds, but alas, I wasn't as forward thinking in my youth as I should have been.

I can find seeds for NL x Haze, NL x Skunk, etc, etc...but he is NOT coming off of any more Northern Lights pure seeds.

Is there anyone here who might have NL #5 still? I know the breeders do, but who sells REGULAR seeds for nl #5 anymore?

sturgis

sturgis

……..that's a great question.....I think many top strains get lost and pushed to the back shelf …..due to the top 40 style flavored strains of the day...…..I have a NL x Big Bud.... 3 wk into 12/12 at the moment.....she is a heavy indica girl with thick trunk, heavy branching, and short node spacing...…...cotton ball size buds are forming all along her branches, and her top cola is all ready stacking and stacking up...….starting to get that lemon lime skunky scent if you brush against her.....she will be a heavy plant...…..love some Northern Lights....

WaterBear420

WaterBear420

Ten years ago, you could buy Northern Lights #1, #3, #5 and a lot of genetics were introduced to California and the world. I wish I had saved some of our seeds, but alas, I wasn't as forward thinking in my youth as I should have been.

I can find seeds for NL x Haze, NL x Skunk, etc, etc...but he is NOT coming off of any more Northern Lights pure seeds.

Is there anyone here who might have NL #5 still? I know the breeders do, but who sells REGULAR seeds for nl #5 anymore?

BCSC sells the NL5 in seed form - just checked their site and seeds are marked down to $80 now, from $200. Bodhi used the NL5 from BCSC in a cross with the Noof cut and I'm still running that cross. Superb plants with a few expressions. According to B, he ran several NL5 gear from different sources and BCSC was the best. Good luck!

DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

BCSC sells the NL5 in seed form - just checked their site and seeds are marked down to $80 now, from $200. Bodhi used the NL5 from BCSC in a cross with the Noof cut and I'm still running that cross. Superb plants with a few expressions. According to B, he ran several NL5 gear from different sources and BCSC was the best. Good luck!

I found the website, but when I click on the "Buy product" button it sends me to another seed site: https://amsterdammarijuanaseeds.com/

Are those the same people? They don't have NL #5

WaterBear420

WaterBear420

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Ive read reports the BCSC NL5 has gone downhill.

Look into

The Green Stash Seed Company.

They did have Original 89 NL5 for sale. I bought 50 of them, but haven't grown them out yet
Sensi lost the original NL5 genetics 10+ years ago.

Melvanetics also has a killer NL5 hybrid with 1990 Sensi Super Skunk.

Find Melvanetics at Great Lakes Genetics.

Email TGS and ask if they have more seeds.

TGS Seeds | GreenStashSeeds.com
https://greenstashseeds.com

DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

I think this might be the real deal. I haven't bought from them though so I can't confirm they're legit.

I got as far as the checkout and the site locked up on me. Maybe they don't ship to the US. Thanks for the clue.

DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

Ive read reports the BCSC NL5 has gone downhill.

Look into

The Green Stash Seed Company.

They did have Original 89 NL5 for sale. I bought 50 of them, but haven't grown them out yet
Sensi lost the original NL5 genetics 10+ years ago.

Melvanetics also has a killer NL5 hybrid with 1990 Sensi Super Skunk.

Find Melvanetics at Great Lakes Genetics.

Email TGS and ask if they have more seeds.

Email sent. Thanks for the tip. These people seem legit, and they are in country.

My how times have changed. Openly selling seeds inside the US. I never thought I would live to see this.

BigCube

BigCube

I see NL #5 for sale all over the place.

And about 20 others on a simple google search...

DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

I see NL #5 for sale all over the place.

Yes, but most of them are FEMINIZED seeds. As a breeder, I have to have good solid males.

I'm glad I read this thread this because NL5 & skunk#1 were 1st things I searched for 4 years ago when I started growing again and neither was the same as I had in the 80s

EXACTLY! Also, as a breeder, you want the real genetics from the 80s. These newer crosses are often done with inferior genetics, and they end up being mixed with other things by accident. The source of seeds or clones is the most important factor. I have already found almost everything I need...except for Grape Cough Syrup...and the elusive African Black Sativa.

Northern Lights was so popular that literally every legit breeder was using it...but every pollen chucker got their hands on it too. There went the neighborhood.

DeJaVu Seeds

DeJaVu Seeds

P.S. I am a CBD hemp breeder, but just in preparation for future changes in the law...I think I should gather my base genetics while I can.

Imagine the day after growing personal marijuana becomes legal nationwide. What will happen?

1. Every legit seedbank on Earth will sell out in a few days.
2. Illegitimate seedbank companies will pop up online and scam customers for MONTHS before anyone notices.
3. It will take years to find an equillibrium between cut-throat capitalism and honorable seed preservation.

During those years, those of us who still have the original genetics will prevail. Hopefully...

BigCube

BigCube

The first link I posted are regular seeds, not fem. Seems to be many places selling them.

Flowering Time:45-55 days
Height at maturity:2-3 feet
Yield:up to 525 grams
HeritageNorthern Lights
(F-5 IBL)

As to if it's the "real" NL #5. You will never know. There is no way to know. The closest thing you can get is subjective. Someone trying it and comparing it to a memory.

Here in BC, NL #5 never went away. It's been around since I was a kid, never went away and I've been smoking it the entire time. Never noticed a change.
But again, that's all subjective.

As for skunk #1. It's gone. Many things have claimed to be skunk #1, but none of them are. Everything I've seen skunk these days is fruity almost citrus, with very very very little actual skunk smell.
The skunk I and many other people remember from late 80s early 90s was burnt rubber levels of stink. So bad (good) it was almost impossible to stop the smell.

If that skunk ever came back, I'd be all over it like white on rice.

Jmaes Mabley

Jmaes Mabley

Original Skunk 1 IS Available from Todd McCormick

The genetics are straight from Mel Frank, and was also Grown by Mel Frank. Mel Frank has had thse since at least 1988, with 000 crosses. Also Sk1 was NEVER RKS, and is mostly Floral.

This IS THE REAL DEAL SKUNK NUMBER ONE.

Seeds are $20 each, and $25 shipping.
I also bought 50 of these, but haven't grown them out yet.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Original Skunk 1 IS Available from Todd McCormick

The genetics are straight from Mel Frank, and was also Grown by Mel Frank. Mel Frank has had thse since at least 1988, with 000 crosses. Also Sk1 was NEVER RKS, and is mostly Floral.

This IS THE REAL DEAL SKUNK NUMBER ONE.

Seeds are $20 each, and $25 shipping.
I also bought 50 of these, but haven't grown them out yet.

I try to say that the skunk was really a sickly floral odor but everyone always talks about RKS. I never heard that name until i got on weed forums. But i had bought and sold real skunk for 20 years.

Thanks for the info.

the rrock

the rrock

The first link I posted are regular seeds, not fem. Seems to be many places selling them.

Flowering Time:45-55 days
Height at maturity:2-3 feet
Yield:up to 525 grams
HeritageNorthern Lights
(F-5 IBL)

As to if it's the "real" NL #5. You will never know. There is no way to know. The closest thing you can get is subjective. Someone trying it and comparing it to a memory.

Here in BC, NL #5 never went away. It's been around since I was a kid, never went away and I've been smoking it the entire time. Never noticed a change.
But again, that's all subjective.

As for skunk #1. It's gone. Many things have claimed to be skunk #1, but none of them are. Everything I've seen skunk these days is fruity almost citrus, with very very very little actual skunk smell.
The skunk I and many other people remember from late 80s early 90s was burnt rubber levels of stink. So bad (good) it was almost impossible to stop the smell.

If that skunk ever came back, I'd be all over it like white on rice.
Skunk#1 is not gone still got stashes of Skunk#1 and many crosses made with it(BSHW, NL5xHaze, Black Domina <Hindu Kush and a few unamed local strains) f1986 till early 2000 now it is just a hobby as it would be hard to compete with dispensariesa andall the hype percieved via intranet

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom