No disrespect to my fellow farmers, but where the f are all the UC grows?

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Pimpernickel

I'm two weeks from finishing my first grow, I ran into a problem in veg when I trimmed my 1' tall plants down to 4". I like to grow Y shaped plants and they grew so fast I had to cut a lot off to get down to the first node, it burnt and stunted them for a week. I burnt them slightly last week as well when they were drinking a lot of water which increased the ppm. Problems aside it looks like it will be very successful. I might put my next grow up, is there anyway I can make a thread/journal and have all my posts appear in a row at the top so the grow can easily be seen start to finish?

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

I'm two weeks from finishing my first grow, I ran into a problem in veg when I trimmed my 1' tall plants down to 4". I like to grow Y shaped plants and they grew so fast I had to cut a lot off to get down to the first node, it burnt and stunted them for a week. I burnt them slightly last week as well when they were drinking a lot of water which increased the ppm. Problems aside it looks like it will be very successful. I might put my next grow up, is there anyway I can make a thread/journal and have all my posts appear in a row at the top so the grow can easily be seen start to finish?

Worst possible pruning goal. Check this out:

S

Seed Buyer

Keep in mind its summer time. Half the growers in this country break down for the summer anyway. Less growers, less grows to show online.

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
More peeps should post their grow journals... :itwasntme

P

Pimpernickel

Worst possible pruning goal. Check this out:

I used the Y in my previous soil grows so I could train each branch around the side of the pot. I'm plant count limited and height limited. It worked allright, lots of tops an very short plants but it did create a lot of scrub/hash bud too. How well do the tree pruning techniques adapt to plants?

JH420

JH420

Just took my grow down and had one plant WET no roots 6.2 pounds, total for the 8 plants just over 35 pounds wet. Should dry out to +-4 pounds. Used 4 1000w

Not trying to be a dick, but would you actually be happy with 4 bows off 4k lighting and an expensive UC setup? Thats a half gram per watt...shouldn't these things be smashing the gram per watt standard to justify themselves? Lets hope that your dry weight was way conservative...

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

Not trying to be a dick, but would you actually be happy with 4 bows off 4k lighting and an expensive UC setup? Thats a half gram per watt...shouldn't these things be smashing the gram per watt standard to justify themselves? Lets hope that your dry weight was way conservative...

Trust me, they destroy .5/watt.

1/watt isn't even a fair bar w/UCS.

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

lol, does that mean you're 'effin up if you're not gettin at least 1gpw?

Aligee

Aligee

Getting set to fire up a diy Uc again after a failed 1st try 2nd times a charm i hope lol
ill post regardless !!! my boy still gots (3) 13g ucxxl8 systems ( whitebuckets) collecting dust if anyones interested?!!!

BCrocker

BCrocker

I'm in for the UC. Room is being built and UC is on the way. Aiming for 1lb / 1000w off the start.

BCrocker

BCrocker

Tex Kid is exactly right. I had 2 bad runs with the UC system but knocked it out of the park on my 3 run and now my 4th run looks even better. My problem was with root rot but now that I'm running a compeltely sterile setup I've had no issues. I've had failures with other systems too, failures aren't exclusive to the UC. With this system I've almost achieved the 2lbs per light which I had never done before...I got 7/8 of a lb per plant, 3k watts, 6 plants.

The trick is to KISS. My suggestion is to stay away from the additives, RE, basically anything that will drive up PPM's and dirty up the system. To pull in almost 2 per 1k watt I used GH 3 part, pk 13/14, and mag pro with weekly water changes with RO water. I use zone and pythoff to sterilize the system and I put it in my top off water which I keep chilled too. My suggestion for a newbie....

1. Make sure you use a chiller and keep between 65-70
2. Rooted clones at 150-250 PPM, slowly increase to 500-750 ppm for veg, 800-900 for transition, 900-1200 for late flowering. Being new its better to under do it than over do it.
3. Weekly water changes which aren't necessary but can't hurt
4. IME keep the water level 1.5" on the pot through the full cycle, this will alow the sterilizers to get in to the root ball.
5. For newbies....stay away from organics and additives....keep it clean
6. Get a ph doser, you can make one for about $200 and worth it
7. Don't dump ph up or down or nuts straight in the epi center without diluting it.
8. I top feed rooted clones constantly with a dripper for a week or so to get the roots going faster. I always remove it after the roots come out of the pots. This speeds up the veg cycle for me.
9. Oh and always wash the shit out of the hydroton rocks, wash, wash, and then wash again.

Things that will kill you cycle....
1. Letting the UC get warm
2. Over fertilizing can stunt the growth and cost you time....less is more!
3. Pythium/root rot, I would recommend for newbies just running a sterile system and keep the water level on the pots
4. PH problems, a doser is an easy fix.
5. Not washing the rock properly, dust gets on roots and causes problems with uptake.

Personally I like this system the best because it really simple to use. I don't have do anything but prune my plants and change the water. Also there are far less plants to deal with than any other system I have used...less clones, smaller mothers etc. I'm using 6 plants instead of 36 like I was. There is very little waste after a harvest (6 pots of hydroton) and even though I do weekly water changes the nutrient costs are very low in comparison to the harvests.

Good luck and don't get discouraged. There will be a learning curve on any system that you use. People that left the UC because of problems tells me that they never figured out how to fix the problems they were experiencing. I had to learn how to use the UC for MY application and once I did know I will never go back.

6. Get a ph doser, you can make one for about $200 and worth it
Which unit do you recommend? I want to set this up too ! :0

JH420

JH420

I'm in for the UC. Room is being built and UC is on the way. Aiming for 1lb / 1000w off the start.

Can you set the bar any lower? Honestly throw 9 topped plants in promix under a 1k with about a month or so of veg and you'd have a hard time getting less than a p. How many runs will it take to get to 2lb/1000? If it's 3 or 4 that's basically a year.

BCrocker

BCrocker

Can you set the bar any lower? Honestly throw 9 topped plants in promix under a 1k with about a month or so of veg and you'd have a hard time getting less than a p. How many runs will it take to get to 2lb/1000? If it's 3 or 4 that's basically a year.

Yes, I am sure it is possible to set the bar lower. The new setup I am starting has a plant limit (75). (36 in flower/UC at one time) Have used promix for years with great results, from 1.0 to 2.4's per 1000w. To tell the truth it is getting boring, I want a change/hobby. :) If the first round only gives me 18lbs from 18x1000 I am fine with that.

P

PRODUCT

the UC organic coco model is coming out later this year... I am excited for that.. much much easier to maintain.. all with modern hydro tech

it is just a UC but with coco. less maintenance and no chiller..

S

sourkush91

I love the UC never had a problem with the system itself... Im now on my second run the first run went well kinda threw the system together in a sealed room with a small chiller and ac and it went well... it was my first run with that system first run in my new room and first run with house and garden and i still pulled over 1.5 per light... I love the system next round i will try to do a journal on the girls

hiboy

hiboy

I love the UC never had a problem with the system itself... Im now on my second run the first run went well kinda threw the system together in a sealed room with a small chiller and ac and it went well... it was my first run with that system first run in my new room and first run with house and garden and i still pulled over 1.5 per light... I love the system next round i will try to do a journal on the girls

Please do a thread next round. Since i will be getting my going in a month, i would LOVE to see a second round by you
h

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I finished another grow about 2 weeks ago and got 1/2# per plants after a bad start for 10 days. I switched to the UC as I am only allowed 50 plants and it will out grow anything on the market, plant for plant. IMHO

hiboy

hiboy

I finished another grow about 2 weeks ago and got 1/2# per plants after a bad start for 10 days. I switched to the UC as I am only allowed 50 plants and it will out grow anything on the market, plant for plant. IMHO

Awesome,,,,
just as long as i can maintain it.. that was the only dilemna that im in.
I'll be getting mine up soon- the UC that is ;-)
Gona take the ride
h

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I'm using DM and for the last 2 grows I never changed out the res. I just top loaded to get the ppm back where they needed to be. Now that I am not traveling I will spend more time dialing it in. and will maybe change the res out once. I start with RO water and add required food than stand back, Ph is super stable at 5.5 to 5.6 and I just add food as required to keep the PPM where they need to be. The system is just as easy to run as when I grew in dirt, I only watered when dirt farming. Takes a bit to get the system down but after that you will never go back.

Take the time to read some of the older threads about people who failed, that will be a good primer on what not to do. From personal experience by a relatively new convert, I'm on my 4 grow. Use a root protection product, I use Zone, it is one of the more popular ones and Daniel (the pres of UC) told me to use it. Less is more, forget all your previous mixing ways and go with a base system and start slow on the food. I run my veg around 300 350ppm and flower from 500 to 850ppm and have great results. You may need to add a mineral supplement like Maji-Cal or Cal-Mag. DO not eye ball your measurements no short cuts. Keep us informed and do your home work.

Remember if you need help contact UC direct or on here they have a Q & A at the top of the page and of course us guys.

Get a good tri-meter and calibrate every 2 weeks!!!!

Use a chiller and keep the temps around 63/66 the lower number is better than the higher.

Top Bottom