noob with small tent grow question?

• Thread starter budjamesbud
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

budjamesbud

new to this site
i have quite a bit of experience growing over the last 30 years or so on and off... in and outdoors
i quite shcked at how cheap the indoor equipment has become and looking to buy a small tent
my wife and i smoke about 2oz a month. i've been thinking that i could grow at least 6oz in 3-4 months in a small tent...

i've been considering the marshydro kits; either the 2x2 (600/100w) or 3x3 (1000/150w)

my questions are:
is about 8 oz every 3-4 months possible/realistic in a small tent?
any thoughts on the marshaydro kits?
thoughts on choosing the 3x3 over the 2x2? i'm think the small difference in price and the bigger lamp makes sense to go with the 3x3
any thought on grwoing autoflowers n a tent?

thanks folks

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

As a general rule of thumb, you can average about an ounce of dried bud per square foot of tent floor space per grow, assuming you're growing in soil with ambient CO2, with a light that's well-matched to the space, and making a healthy canopy that fills the space. Lots of variables, including genetics.

Some people, like Bill Ward on YouTube, achieve great yields with autos, but I'm not one of them. I like the control of photos.

D

dglruns91

in a 4x4 tent i was averaging around 500-600 grams of dry nug but that was with a 1000watt air cooled hps light, may i ask why you want too go so small?
do you have space for a 4x4 tent?
if your growing for 2 people i dont think a 2x2 grow tent will cut it.
my 2 cents buy the 3x3 but if you can fit a 4x4 in there do it!
im currently growing in a 2x2 grow tent and trust me what i yield is probably going To last me 1 month

B

budjamesbud

in a 4x4 tent i was averaging around 500-600 grams of dry nug but that was with a 1000watt air cooled hps light, may i ask why you want too go so small?
do you have space for a 4x4 tent?
if your growing for 2 people i dont think a 2x2 grow tent will cut it.
my 2 cents buy the 3x3 but if you can fit a 4x4 in there do it!
im currently growing in a 2x2 grow tent and trust me what i yield is probably going To last me 1 month
i do have room for a little bigger.... but, it's my budget that is the limiting factor.
i'm thinking the 3x3 would be the better choice as the price difference is approx $320 to $420; so for the extra $100 i go from 4 sq-ft to 9 sq-ft
the 4x4 is $600+, which would get rejected by my finance officer (wife)
plus, if i am succesful with the smaller grow i can always size up
i do grow outdoors too, so i have some there.
if i do have to buy govt weed every now and then, that's ok too. i'd still save a bucnh of cash and have the fun of growing indoors again

Choppr

Choppr

Heyo - it all depends on how you grow, and what you grow - I run a tent photoperiod tents, and I run a tent of Auto flowers, both are rotating crops - for a quick turn auto flowers are your best bet...I start new seeds every 6 weeks and harvest every 6 weeks on 12 week runs. (Plant your 1st seed of seeds and when the Plants are 6 weeks old you plant more seeds, at 12 weeks you harvest and plant more seeds, and your rotation will be every 6 weeks - I dont like the square tents they take too much floor space, I use the Vivosun 32 x 60 x 80 (i call it a 3 x 5) its a rectangle fits tighter to the wall. Ive had 6 plants stuffed in these tents....any questions you can PM me,
also, try promo code: chopsgrow (i think its 15% off) Right On! #vivosun

Wk 85 almost 2nd wk of Flower  5
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I don't think I've ever harvested in three months. For me, it's more like five months. There's also another month or two for drying and curing.

Four to six ounces from a 2x2 tent is probably a good guess. That depends a lot on other factors. My plants usually yield about four ounces.

I'll add that after a few grows, we had so much weed we had to find ways to get rid of the excess. Our family and friends don't seem to mind. 😉

Nope. I've never used their lights. I have ViparSpectra lights now. I'm also considering adding an AC Infinity light so I can use it with the controller. I plan to reconfigure my tents after the current crop is harvested.

thoughts on choosing the 3x3 over the 2x2? i'm think the small difference in price and the bigger lamp makes sense to go with the 3x3
I think the 3x3 is the better choice. Wider plants are likely to have a better yield. My smallest tent is 28"x28" and I like it.

The height of the tent is even more important, though. My 2x2 tent is 63" tall and that seems to be a good height. I have it on a table and that makes working on the plant much easier.

any thought on growing autoflowers in a tent?
I've not done it. I'm never in a hurry to finish a crop. Controlling the flowering is a big plus for my growing style.

B

budjamesbud

Heyo - it all depends on how you grow, and what you grow - I run a tent photoperiod tents, and I run a tent of Auto flowers, both are rotating crops - for a quick turn auto flowers are your best bet...I start new seeds every 6 weeks and harvest every 6 weeks on 12 week runs. (Plant your 1st seed of seeds and when the Plants are 6 weeks old you plant more seeds, at 12 weeks you harvest and plant more seeds, and your rotation will be every 6 weeks - I dont like the square tents they take too much floor space, I use the Vivosun 32 x 60 x 80 (i call it a 3 x 5) its a rectangle fits tighter to the wall. Ive had 6 plants stuffed in these tents....any questions you can PM me,
also, try promo code: chopsgrow (i think its 15% off) Right On! #vivosun
wow
that is sooooo nice
if i have success with the smaller tent, then i can see myself getting another tent eventually...
i think i'm going to do the 3x3 marshydro ts1000 kit thats $425cdn right now. it's such a decent price and a good size for me.
i do have lots of seeds, but i think i'll try get some autoflowers to start

B

budjamesbud

I don't think I've ever harvested in three months. For me, it's more like five months. There's also another month or two for drying and curing.

Four to six ounces from a 2x2 tent is probably a good guess. That depends a lot on other factors. My plants usually yield about four ounces.

I'll add that after a few grows, we had so much weed we had to find ways to get rid of the excess. Our family and friends don't seem to mind. 😉

Nope. I've never used their lights. I have ViparSpectra lights now. I'm also considering adding an AC Infinity light so I can use it with the controller. I plan to reconfigure my tents after the current crop is harvested.

I think the 3x3 is the better choice. Wider plants are likely to have a better yield. My smallest tent is 28"x28" and I like it.

The height of the tent is even more important, though. My 2x2 tent is 63" tall and that seems to be a good height. I have it on a table and that makes working on the plant much easier.

I've not done it. I'm never in a hurry to finish a crop. Controlling the flowering is a big plus for my growing style.
the mars 3x3 tent actually comes in at 27"x27"x63" with the 1000ts
i'm leaning much more to that size.... i think i'll want more room, so might as well start at that size
i think it'sbe much more managemabel for me too, as it's been awhile since i've grown indoors and i'll have to re-learn

thanks for the awesome answer!!

Pilted

Pilted

Me and my wife smoke about the same. And my goal was the same as yours. 3 to 4 months cycle is probably possible, but I am not at that level. A more realistic time line would be 6-8 months (I only grow photos though). When I first started my grow consisted of two 27x27 inch tents. After a couple years leaning to grow ( you got the upper hand on me as you got experience) and trying to supply my wife with weed I quickly realized 2 tents was not going to cut it. I average about 6 oz per plant per tent. I would always run out a month or two before the next harvest. So I expanded and now have 4 tents 27x27. 4 tents are working well and I have excess, nice to be able to kick my friends down with weed from time to time.

Can you do what you are thinking probably yes but I am not that good yet.

Mars hydro is scary to me I have heard of there lights catching on fire in multiple threads on multiple forums. Also I have seen bad reviews on there customer service multiple times. I am sure they have fixed the issues I stated above, but I would recommend spider farm (what I am using top notch quality) ac infinity (heard nothing but good reviews from there equipment), or Vivosun (same have only heard good reviews)

I am sure your time lines can be hit, but I can't do it. Anyways good luck and hope to see your plants soon.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
the mars 3x3 tent actually comes in at 27"x27"x63" with the 1000ts
I have a ViparSpectra XS2000 (rated at 240 watts) in my 28"x28" and I rarely run it above about 60%. That's close to how it's set now in the 9th week of flowering. I use a wattage meter at the plug. It's drawing 136 watts, which is 57%. The plant looks like it will finish well.

I've been thinking long and hard about moving the XS2000 to a larger tent and putting an AC Infinity light in the small tent. I'm curious about using the light with the AC Infinity controller 69 pro that's already controlling the tent.

Zerberus

Zerberus

i do have room for a little bigger.... but, it's my budget that is the limiting factor.
i'm thinking the 3x3 would be the better choice as the price difference is approx $320 to $420; so for the extra $100 i go from 4 sq-ft to 9 sq-ft
the 4x4 is $600+, which would get rejected by my finance officer (wife)
plus, if i am succesful with the smaller grow i can always size up
i do grow outdoors too, so i have some there.
if i do have to buy govt weed every now and then, that's ok too. i'd still save a bucnh of cash and have the fun of growing indoors again
Go with the 3x3, remember the more space you have, the more plants you can fit in. You can get great yeilds from a 3x3, just depends on what your growing, and how your growing it.

3cats

3cats

new to this site
i have quite a bit of experience growing over the last 30 years or so on and off... in and outdoors
i quite shcked at how cheap the indoor equipment has become and looking to buy a small tent
my wife and i smoke about 2oz a month. i've been thinking that i could grow at least 6oz in 3-4 months in a small tent...

i've been considering the marshydro kits; either the 2x2 (600/100w) or 3x3 (1000/150w)

my questions are:

thanks folks
Hi, I've a 3x3 and a 5x5 I can get 1lb out of my 3x3 every 5 months and 2lbs out of my 5x5 with 3 Spiderfarmer Se3000 without too much trouble. Some strain can yield be 8 oz per plant but most are closer to 4-5oz. I veg for 2 months at least sometimes longer if I'm waiting on space to open up but I flower for a minimum of 10 week some go 12 which causes a back up in my veg closets. I smoke an oz or more a week, fk auto's they can be tiny plants that flip in 3 weeks growing if lucky an oz and that doesn't cut it for me. Auto's as an extra or outside up north but If you going to grow weed indoors and you can control your lighting fk the auto's

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Keep it super simple, strive for excellence!
With a well laid out and executed plan. You will find that it is not hard to grow really nice bud.
But if you do a hack job of finishing. You will end up being disappointed. Finishing matters!

Growing down time on your rent. Are you planning on hanging your crop in your tent after harvest?
Once you have your bud hanging. You will need a small dehumidifier. It requires daily maintenance.
Rough trim

I do a doing rough trim before hanging.
Hand finishing and storage. Leaf must be crispy dry in order for a bud brush to do it's job
But this is a great tool. Carefully collect any trim. Screen the keef out of trimmings for sugar joints.
You will find that the sugar leaf bits are great for bong hits and you will end up with a jar full.
Cannabrush

Invest in a few different sizes of bud vault.
They are not cheep but they make a huge difference in finished bud quality.
Vaults

A 3x3 Tent is a nice single plant scrog tent. Up on a 3' tall table / bench so when you need to work inside your not standing on your head.
Plan on growing something like Northern Lights. It's time tested. Easy to grow. Good yield.
While your tent is drying your latest harvest it's time to start a new grow. Always use feminized seed!
I find it's handy to start 3 feminized seeds. After 3 weeks select the best one or two to continue. The runt makes good compost.
I like starting under 15w - 21w 6500k CFL lights. No need to run your big light at this time. Any small closet space will do nicely!
This plant is a nice little mainline project vegging under 4- 15w CFL Bulbs in my 3x3
Plant

Mix

Flowering

This is all you need.
A
PH pen
E.C pen
PPM pen

Miracle Grow 12 4 8

Monster Bloom

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
new to this site

my questions are:

thanks folks
I pull 5 to 6 oz out of a 2 x 2 consistently but it matters what genetics you have, your plamt training, and your competence as grower. 🤷‍♂️ too many variables to make a good guess

B

budjamesbud

Hi, I've a 3x3 and a 5x5 I can get 1lb out of my 3x3 every 5 months and 2lbs out of my 5x5 with 3 Spiderfarmer Se3000 without too much trouble. Some strain can yield be 8 oz per plant but most are closer to 4-5oz. I veg for 2 months at least sometimes longer if I'm waiting on space to open up but I flower for a minimum of 10 week some go 12 which causes a back up in my veg closets. I smoke an oz or more a week, fk auto's they can be tiny plants that flip in 3 weeks growing if lucky an oz and that doesn't cut it for me. Auto's as an extra or outside up north but If you going to grow weed indoors and you can control your lighting fk the auto's
awesome
that's encouraging!
i ended up getting a tent thats 32x32x63 and the vipraspectre xs1500 pro.
the light has good reviews and the tent not too small, not too big lol... and a good price
i'm going to do coco and perlite and use the Adv. Nutes sensi grow; supplement with big bud
i'm going to try 4 plants in 5 gallon grow bags for first grow. 2 strains at once
i'm looking at some seeds from truenorth seeds and/or quebec cannabis seeds; going with feminized, based on some great feedback from you guys
getting black domina for sure; considering grape skunk, cheese and a few others

thanks!

B

budjamesbud

Keep it super simple, strive for excellence!
With a well laid out and executed plan. You will find that it is not hard to grow really nice bud.
But if you do a hack job of finishing. You will end up being disappointed. Finishing matters!

Growing down time on your rent. Are you planning on hanging your crop in your tent after harvest?
Once you have your bud hanging. You will need a small dehumidifier. It requires daily maintenance.
View attachment 2077563
I do a doing rough trim before hanging.
Hand finishing and storage. Leaf must be crispy dry in order for a bud brush to do it's job
But this is a great tool. Carefully collect any trim. Screen the keef out of trimmings for sugar joints.
You will find that the sugar leaf bits are great for bong hits and you will end up with a jar full.
View attachment 2077568
Invest in a few different sizes of bud vault.
They are not cheep but they make a huge difference in finished bud quality.
View attachment 2077569

A 3x3 Tent is a nice single plant scrog tent. Up on a 3' tall table / bench so when you need to work inside your not standing on your head.
Plan on growing something like Northern Lights. It's time tested. Easy to grow. Good yield.
While your tent is drying your latest harvest it's time to start a new grow. Always use feminized seed!
I find it's handy to start 3 feminized seeds. After 3 weeks select the best one or two to continue. The runt makes good compost.
I like starting under 15w - 21w 6500k CFL lights. No need to run your big light at this time. Any small closet space will do nicely!
This plant is a nice little mainline project vegging under 4- 15w CFL Bulbs in my 3x3
View attachment 2077574
View attachment 2077575
View attachment 2077576
This is all you need.
A
PH pen
E.C pen
PPM pen

View attachment 2077577
View attachment 2077578
wow!!
this is an amazing post
thanks for all the good info
that's interesting that you're using CFLs for the vegg. i might consider setting up a seedling/vegg chamber in a cupboard i have when i start second grow.

i haven't started reviewing the harvest process yet. but, i usually trim, hang, dry trim, cure in jars
i might start a grow jornal to list my gear, etc.
there's some killer black friday deals right now
got a viparspectre xs1500 pro light, 32x32x63 zazzy tent and vivosun fan/filter combo for approx $375cdn total; there's some kits, but f you look you can piece together your own kit ;)...
going to go with coco/perlite and Adv Nutes stuff

Last edited:
JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
550 bucks all in...I'm using phlizon fd6500 640watt...5x5 tent for 100 bucks... 6 inch inline fans for about 50 bucks... pots and nutes....

Or for 50 bucks pick up a used truck bed liner.. I have a medicgrow ez8 over the liner

20231121 191312
cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
awesome
that's encouraging!
i ended up getting a tent thats 32x32x63 and the vipraspectre xs1500 pro.
the light has good reviews and the tent not too small, not too big lol... and a good price
i'm going to do coco and perlite and use the Adv. Nutes sensi grow; supplement with big bud
i'm going to try 4 plants in 5 gallon grow bags for first grow. 2 strains at once
i'm looking at some seeds from truenorth seeds and/or quebec cannabis seeds; going with feminized, based on some great feedback from you guys
getting black domina for sure; considering grape skunk, cheese and a few others

thanks!
I love mine, I never need 100%

Latest posts

Top Bottom