Nutrient issues help, I'm at a loss...

• Thread starter Art_Vandelay
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

Art_Vandelay

Heres some photos of the small one i just trimmed dead stuff off. Looks better already :))) haha
Big thanks again to everyone and ill let you know how it goes.

IMG 0361
IMG 0362
IMG 0363
growsince79

growsince79

Really 1 meter away from the plants? All other advice says 12 - 20 inches which is roughly 500mm. I can hold my hand under lights at plant height and not feel any uncomfortable heat at all.

The whole plant also has the "issue" not just tops so light burn is not something im picking.
400w mh12-20" is perfect for healthy plants that size. Your plants are not healthy. Root problems/uptake issues from chronic overwatering.

A

Art_Vandelay

400w mh12-20" is perfect for healthy plants that size. Your plants are not healthy. Root problems/uptake issues from chronic overwatering.
Not sure id go as far as chronic overwatering as stated previous in post about water schedule, but either way we will find out :)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The burn on the leaves of the plant are all over and not just at top. Even the leaves under other leaves are dry.
Also these dry crispy leaves are 2 months old and i have not until now removed any of them so I know it looks bad but It was not something that happened suddenly.
Which is why i feel its a transpiration issue like watering… the symtoms fit light burn but only because of the root cause of the light burn which i feel is watering practices

growsince79

growsince79

I realized the pots were to big back when i transplanted (silly mistake i regret).
When i water I use 2ltrs and i get about 500ml runoff maybe a bit more which brings the pots to a weight of about 7kgs.
The "dry" weight of the pots and soil etc is about 5.5kgs and i have been watering them at around that weight. The top does dry nicly and i have a fan providing good air circulation.
I could use less water but I need to have run off to check PH and E.C

E.C of water is very very low where im from. It doesnt even show on meter which is why I have been leaning towards using Calmag.
This is your problem. if it only takes 1.5 liters to get runoff in those huge pots because they are still holding lots of water. Chronic overwatering. let them dry back more. I let 20l pots lose 4-5kg before watering again.

A

Art_Vandelay

This is your problem. if it only takes 1.5 liters to get runoff in those huge pots because they are still holding lots of water. Chronic overwatering. let them dry back more. I let 20l pots lose 4-5kg before watering again.
Aaaah i get you now. The pots are 8.5L and i water with 2L to get 500ml run off. At watering time they are 5.5kgs which is what the pots weigh empty with just "dry" soil from the bag i still have.
Which is why i thought watering at the "dry" weight of 5.5kgs was correct, but your saying let it dry more if i understand correctly?

It makes sense like you say about only a couple ltrs water needing to get run off = too wet, but going from my weights it says different hahah
Hence me being confused and chasing my tail a bit. But thats why im here to learn :))

Last edited:
A

Art_Vandelay

Deff get ontp of the ec issue bring it down cuz if you got lock out plant won't take in any nutrients and it's a vicious Cycle and just get some more consistency in readings and stick to it good luck champ let us know how it goes these learning curves and lessons is how we become pros
I got my CalMag today and flushed the plants with PH 6.2 water with an E.C of 0.4 after adding CalMag.
PH reading was taken after adding everything and letting stabilize.
I will now wait a week and see how they respond. The death that is consuming them again after trimming all the dead leaves is very much from over feeding now.
Easy as we go from now on until I get on top of this. I also purchased a soil moisture/PH meter as well so i can check down at root level for moisture content.

Sunasun

Sunasun

I got my CalMag today and flushed the plants with PH 6.2 water with an E.C of 0.4 after adding CalMag.
PH reading was taken after adding everything and letting stabilize.
I will now wait a week and see how they respond. The death that is consuming them again after trimming all the dead leaves is very much from over feeding now.
Easy as we go from now on until I get on top of this. I also purchased a soil moisture/PH meter as well so i can check down at root level for moisture content.
Any updates?

A

Art_Vandelay

Any updates?
Yes good news so far, after the flush and a well deserved dry spell. Things are looking good with new growth looking dark green.
Still got two of the four that are well behind the others but it will be ok.
I think I left them to dry out to much though because when I came to water them the water literally "fell" through the soil hahaha

In the photos they have just been feed with 1.0 E.C nutrient solution made up of 0.3 E.C CalMag and 0.7 E.C Nitrosol in 6.2 PH water.

It turns out soil that is too dry actually repels water... Anyway lesson learned and I have a good watering schedule going foward.

I did watch some video of a guy submerging his pots (fabric) into his nutrient solution to feed so they wick the water up into the plant as opposed to pouring it over and maybe having dry patches in the soil.

Has anyone had experience doing this in plastic pots?

IMG 0406
IMG 0407
IMG 0408
IMG 0409
T

TheFapster

I would say you may have have started out with too hot a mix.
Farfards Acid Loving Soil is the shit if you can find it.
You could try repotting and bump up humidity to 70% and water down the stem, move the stem over so it opens up a hole to the root ball.

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

Yes good news so far, after the flush and a well deserved dry spell. Things are looking good with new growth looking dark green.
Still got two of the four that are well behind the others but it will be ok.
I think I left them to dry out to much though because when I came to water them the water literally "fell" through the soil hahaha

In the photos they have just been feed with 1.0 E.C nutrient solution made up of 0.3 E.C CalMag and 0.7 E.C Nitrosol in 6.2 PH water.

It turns out soil that is too dry actually repels water... Anyway lesson learned and I have a good watering schedule going foward.

I did watch some video of a guy submerging his pots (fabric) into his nutrient solution to feed so they wick the water up into the plant as opposed to pouring it over and maybe having dry patches in the soil.

Has anyone had experience doing this in plastic pots
I have a setup that I recycle and scrub the air because the location dosent access a way to throw it outside so I used a dehumidifier to remove excess moister and keep levels stable tho at the time I was trying organics and amending soil problem was I was drying the soil at a rate even tho room humidity seemed to be fine the plants didn't consume the food properly and amending the soil again after a month or so the plant started showing symptoms of overfeeding and letting the soil dry out too fast and letting the soil dry back too much and frequent damages roots and near harvest is fine but repeatedly will damage roots.....only time now I get issues in plastic pots is when they get root bound and symptoms and deficencys start to show I transplant before deficiency sets in

A

Art_Vandelay

I have a couple questions for you wise people now that I have somewhat got things under control.
The two plants at the back are growing very fast but the others are getting there slowly.

1: Is 1.0 EC OK for all these plants or should i feed less on the two that are smaller?

2: I may need to switch over to 12/12 soon so I don't run out of room? Will the two smaller plants just yield less?

Any other tips/guidance from what you can see in these photos is helpful, thanks :)

IMG 0418
IMG 0420
IMG 0419
AlfaDog

AlfaDog

Looks like you got magnesium deficiency could add epson salt to ur mix or just bump up calmag and in the mean time do a calmag foliar untill soil drys out kinda looks either the plants are wet too long or ur over watering and try not too focus too much on EC or ppm give what the plants want so there not deficient you would be very surprised high high some peoples ppm are and the plants still looks amazing with reson of course

Top Bottom