• Thread starter Harpua88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Those sticky things that traps gnats, I believe they're called "gnat traps"......definitely one of the strategies for dealing with them.....

However, they're not particularly good for a cat.......

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Flower/flip day 15:

10 males 13 females

I will spend one last day today pondering which males to keep, the rest get chopped tonight at lights on. I'm sure the rest will appreciate the room. A sheet of mylar will go on the floor, and I keep forgetting to raise the SD to the ceiling, it's been about 8" lower. I am no longer these things Scorpions, or Diablo......Rspec is fine. It's SD and SR from now on.....nuts......other people get lights named "T3000" or "SF4000". Me I get "Tsar Bomba".......

Anyway, it's time for some natural feeding that will carry them through the next couple of weeks. Even though flowers are just starting to accelerate, some N is still needed. I could top all of the pots of with worm castings, blood meal, and composted manure and then a very diluted bloom formula, but I'd rather avoid the bloom formula. It wouldn't be so bad but I'd rather have a better way of adding P, K

I'm open to any suggestions on how to give them the best flowering punch naturally.

Interesting, I notice each picture has a different hue. I assume it's because half the closet is covered by the SD and the other half by the SR.

20230613 095234
20230613 095246
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Flower/flip day 15:

10 males 13 females

I will spend one last day today pondering which males to keep, the rest get chopped tonight at lights on. I'm sure the rest will appreciate the room. A sheet of mylar will go on the floor, and I keep forgetting to raise the SD to the ceiling, it's been about 8" lower. I am no longer these things Scorpions, or Diablo......Rspec is fine. It's SD and SR from now on.....nuts......other people get lights named "T3000" or "SF4000". Me I get "Tsar Bomba".......

Anyway, it's time for some natural feeding that will carry them through the next couple of weeks. Even though flowers are just starting to accelerate, some N is still needed. I could top all of the pots of with worm castings, blood meal, and composted manure and then a very diluted bloom formula, but I'd rather avoid the bloom formula. It wouldn't be so bad but I'd rather have a better way of adding P, K

I'm open to any suggestions on how to give them the best flowering punch naturally.

Interesting, I notice each picture has a different hue. I assume it's because half the closet is covered by the SD and the other half by the SR.
That is cool, it’s like an added filter depending on your proximity to the light and angle of the shot. You know, now that you mention it, I have a ton of photos just like that. Never really put 2 and 2 together, or I did and got the sum of banana.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
That is cool, it’s like an added filter depending on your proximity to the light and angle of the shot. You know, now that you mention it, I have a ton of photos just like that. Never really put 2 and 2 together, or I did and got the sum of banana.
We still have our Samsung S10+s......I think that's what these are, we got them a few years ago. We're past the point of needing the latest phone every year, they might be a touch thinner, a slightly better camera....

I guess something in the camera picks up a difference in light spectrum.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Before I get started I can confirm what I already knew was going to be the case......not one of these seed companies' "Skunk #1" is remotely Skunk #1. I'm talking about the large companies from the Netherlands, Spain, the UK......They may be distant relatives of the remnants of the lineage that used to be Skunk #1, but, no. And I knew this going into it. This 1st grow in nearly 30 years has always been about getting things out of the way, testing various things out, confirming suspicions, shaking off my own rust, and running a lot of seeds to see if there might be a few candidates worthy of making it to the next round.

Is their "Blueberry" really Blueberry? Is their "Big Bud" really Big Bud? "Mazar" is probably not a landrace from Mazar-I-Sharif......

But we'll see which ones at least have what it takes to make some seeds. Maybe there will be a few pleasant surprises. As I get to my 2nd grow, 3rd, 4th, that's when I'll start getting to the higher quality, truer genetics from better breeders, heirlooms, landraces.......that's when the real breeding will happen. For now, a plant has to be exceptional to make it into the next rounds.

I couldn't help myself, so far I've chopped 5 males and kept 5 males. I need to decide very quickly exactly how I'm going to play this because 2 of them are already close to dropping some pollen. A couple of them are beasts, one of them has a tree trunk for a stem. They're very big, branchy, and I'm going to have to wrap something around them to collect the pollen but also make sure none escapes. They're going around the corner outside the closet tomorrow to finish what they gotta do. I've pruned them quite a bit because I certainly don't need that much pollen and why have them drain the soil any more than I need? I chose the males based on size, branching, and desire to breed with them.

I gave the soil tops a shot of spray for gnats. I see a few every day, less since I started taking action, I have 3 sticky tape tubes, and the next time the soil dries out I'll lay down more Demonicalass Earth.

Space is freed up, the females are starting to flower more rapidly.

Here are the keeper males which I should pare down to 3:

1. MSNL "Mazar"
2. Road Kill Skunk (from a breeder not a co.)
3. Herbie's Dutch Passion "Skunk #1"
4. MSNL "Skunk #1"
5. MSNL "Big Bud"

Here are the. females:

1. Herbie's Dutch Passion "Blueberry"
2. Herbie's Gorilla Glue (2 plants)
3. Herbie's Dutch Passion "Mazar" (2 plants)
4. MSNL "Blueberry"
5. Nirvana "Northern Lights" (Whorled)
6. The Choice "Big Bud"
7. The Vault "Sensi Skunk"
8. The Vault (Dutch Passion Skunk)
9. Choice "Sensi Skunk"
10. Divine Banana (2 cuttings I rooted)
11. My own hybrid, (Strawberry Widow x unknown Indica) from last summer.
12. *A Road Kill Skunk that hasn't revealed yet

It's getting late. Tomorrow I will raise the SD light, lay mylar on the floor, top the pots with a little more peat moss, worm castings, blood meal, and perlite, and water with a little more gypsum, epsom, bone meal, and just a little bit of flower food. It's also time for me to run Ph tests.

Temp: 66-69f
Humidity: 60-70% - added dehumidifier, turned up fan. Humidity should get back down to ~50%.

20230613 224801
20230613 233858
20230613 234027
20230614 001302
20230614 001441
20230614 004119
20230614 004128
20230614 004413
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
A ccorrection. I guess editing is a bit of a pain.........if there's unlimited editing for an unlimited amount of time then people can change anything at any time. You can rewrite history, so there's a time limit. On the other hand, sometimes something might need to be corrected, it's not just a typo........

On my "females" list I copied the first one wrong, it should be Herbie's Dutch Passsion Skunk#1, not Blueberry. I'm correcting it here by reposting the whole post, but maybe I can ask logic or someone to change my original post, otherwise it will stick there with wrong information forever.........

Forever is a long time. Hundreds of years from now when archeologists and historians dig up my thread, I don't want future generations to think that my famale plant #1 is a Blueberry when it's really a Skunk#1. My entire genetic record will confuse authors and clowns the world over. And no one wants that. :
Before I get started I can confirm what I already knew was going to be the case......not one of these seed companies' "Skunk #1" is remotely Skunk #1. I'm talking about the large companies from the Netherlands, Spain, the UK......They may be distant relatives of the remnants of the lineage that used to be Skunk #1, but, no. And I knew this going into it. This 1st grow in nearly 30 years has always been about getting things out of the way, testing various things out, confirming suspicions, shaking off my own rust, and running a lot of seeds to see if there might be a few candidates worthy of making it to the next round.

Is their "Blueberry" really Blueberry? Is their "Big Bud" really Big Bud? "Mazar" is probably not a landrace from Mazar-I-Sharif......

But we'll see which ones at least have what it takes to make some seeds. Maybe there will be a few pleasant surprises. As I get to my 2nd grow, 3rd, 4th, that's when I'll start getting to the higher quality, truer genetics from better breeders, heirlooms, landraces.......that's when the real breeding will happen. For now, a plant has to be exceptional to make it into the next rounds.

I couldn't help myself, so far I've chopped 5 males and kept 5 males. I need to decide very quickly exactly how I'm going to play this because 2 of them are already close to dropping some pollen. A couple of them are beasts, one of them has a tree trunk for a stem. The0⁷y're very big, branchy, and I'm going to have to wrap something around them to collect the pollen but also make sure none escapes. They're going around the corner outside the closet tomorrow to finish what they gotta do. I've pruned them quite a bit because I certainly don't need that much pollen and why have them drain the soil any more than I need? I chose the males based on size, branching, and desire to breed with them.

I gave the soil tops a shot of spray for gnats. I see a few every day, less since I started taking action, I have 3 sticky tape tubes, and the next time the soil dries out I'll lay down more Demonicalass Earth.

1. MSNL "Mazar"
4. MSNL "Skunk #1"
5. MSNL "Big Bud"

Here are the. females:

1. Herbie's Dutch Passion "Skunk #1"
4. MSNL "Blueberry"
6. The Choice "Big Bud"
9. Choice "Sensi Skunk"

It's getting late. Tomorrow I will raise the SD light, lay mylar on the floor, top the pots with a little more peat moss, worm castings, blood meal, and perlite, and water with a little more gypsum, epsom, bone meal, and just a little bit of flower food. It's also time for me to run Ph tests.

Humidity: 60-70% - added dehumidifier, turned up fan. Humidity should get back down to ~50%.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I can't much eat in the mornings. Sometimes.....like if I had very little to eat the day before. I don't buy the "most important meal!" thing. And "3 meals a day". You kidding me? I'm still digesting what I ate 8 hours ago, what am I Michael Phelps? People don't give their system a break, they're always crunching food 24/7......

;)

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
I can't much eat in the mornings. Sometimes.....like if I had very little to eat the day before. I don't buy the "most important meal!" thing. And "3 meals a day". You kidding me? I'm still digesting what I ate 8 hours ago, what am I Michael Phelps? People don't give their system a break, they're always crunching food 24/7......

;)
I eat once a day, been like that for years. It blows my mind what some of these folks eat on the daily.

Itscheese94

Itscheese94

I couldn't help myself, so far I've chopped 5 males and kept 5 males. I need to decide very quickly exactly how I'm going to play this because 2 of them are already close to dropping some pollen. A couple of them are beasts, one of them has a tree trunk for a stem. They're very big, branchy, and I'm going to have to wrap something around them to collect the pollen but also make sure none escapes. They're going around the corner outside the closet tomorrow to finish what they gotta do. I've pruned them quite a bit because I certainly don't need that much pollen and why have them drain the soil any more than I need? I chose the males based on size, branching, and desire to breed with them.

1. MSNL "Mazar"
4. MSNL "Skunk #1"
5. MSNL "Big Bud"

Here are the. females:

1. Herbie's Dutch Passion "Blueberry"
4. MSNL "Blueberry"
6. The Choice "Big Bud"
9. Choice "Sensi Skunk"

interesting read i wonder what msnl big bud x msnl blueberry woud be like or a skunk # 1 x blueberry

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
interesting read i wonder what msnl big bud x msnl blueberry woud be like or a skunk # 1 x blueberry
Ideally they would probably be great. The problem is that the varieties are far from their genetic origins. I'll be open-minded, we'll see how they all turn out. But I'm not holding my breath, no pun intended. I doubt any company's "Blueberry" is going to be just like DJ Short's was, and I really doubt "Skunk #1" will be anything like it used to.

I'm hoping that maybe 1 or 2 will end up surprising me and be somewhat close. If a couple of these "Skunk" plants have s ome of the lineage.....any of them, I'll be making seeds so that I can really pheno hunt on another run. With 100 Skunk seeds, or the Mazar or Blueberry, I can then run many seeds and really pheno hunt.

There are a few companies that specialize in "old school" varieties, heirlooms, landraces, people who got good older genetics and have saved and worked them......I have better seeds that I'll work over the next couple of years, plus new ones I'll get. And the ones I'm making that I'll work in, if they're good enough.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Reassessing, I may have miscounted,

Well, I have some more room now, the 4 breeder males are on the far right/back, 2 others are already outside of the closet. Tomorrow these 4 come out, they all will get the final trim down, and parchment paper bags will go over all 5 until they open and dump pollen. I only need enough to.paint a couple of branches on most of the females, probably in about a week to 10 days. If I get 20+ good seeds from each branch that will be enough to work the resulting crosses. Tomorrow 5 more pots out leaves 11 pots with 14 females. Right under my goal of 12 pots/females (4 rows of 3). I know it's almost taboo to have 2 plants in one pot, but these are 11gallon pots, they haven't been in these pots too long, I don't see them getting rootbound of fighting each other over root space or nutrients. We'll see how those come out but I think they'll do well.

I'm not surprised, Ph is closer to 6.5. I've mixed a very rich, dark soil. Yesterday I topped all of the pots with a couple of extra scoops of soil from the chopped males pots, a couple of scoops of fresh soils, and a scoop of worm castings. I then watered with a littlr gypsum, bone mesl, epsom, and a small amount of flower food. So I will be adding some of that soil acidifier tomorrow which also has elemental sulfer. I'll get the Ph down a little bit over the next 48 hours.

Flower day 17........I'd like to see a little more blooming going on, but I know I'm in that early flowering worry time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom