Old Dog Learning New Tricks: First Time Growing From Seed!

• Thread starter SinCity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SinCity

SinCity

Hello kind people!

Returning to my roots (pun of course intended) :)
Been pursuing other avenues for a long time but i'm psyched to finally come back home to the actual growing. Rusty but ready!

And it's my first time from seed!

Any and all help, advice, anything is very much appreciated.

SinCity

SinCity

I'm in a little laundry room (roughly 6 ft by 10ft by 5ft). Never been in this small a space and it's been a long time since i've done indoor. I'm so psyched to start exploring all these genomes! I started with what I know best from who i know best...HP13.
IMG 1371

SinCity

SinCity

these were reaching a year old so i felt i had to sprout--but i hadn't set a space up yet, so it's been rough and dirty. but fuck it. this is the genome i want. 7 of i think 8 or 9 sprouted. i've been keeping them in 'stasis' for several months because i REALLY want to find a place for the males. i do NOT want to lose this genome!

SinCity

SinCity

I finally 'released' them a couple of weeks ago. They're still working through some deficiencies, etc. They've been so patient! I'm not giving up on finding a place for the males, so i'm just going to keep vegging until i find a home for the males. these are a few of my little ragtag babies. I'm a shitty photographer.

Feb 2019

SinCity

SinCity

Your crop looks like small trees, going to be using up lots of headspace once you flip...
Nice plants.

I'm just happy they're alive. This was a pure save the genome thing. I'll structure them differently for flowering. Probably keep these as one of the two or three mothers for each female i get. AND THE HP13 WAS ALWAYS TALL, LANKY, SPINDLY. Lowest yielder i've ever seen. Larfy. Hard keeper, etc. But she gets to be anything the fuck she wants to be. Her poor structure is one of the reasons the crosses are so important.

These patient wonderful beings have been waiting for me to find a place for the males. They've been in the 'transition' pots (used for our cuttings once they root on our outdoor site), with quarter-strength nutrient solution, under 100 watts of florescent--for months. 24/7. Then I transplanted into what you see now--can't transplant into too much bigger when their root systems are so small--hung 2 650 watt LEDs, and stopped starving them. TechnaFlora, ProMix with myco, fussed over their temp, RH, circulation, etc. That they are bushy at all is because HP13 was only ever a cutting. What he did was concentrate on getting as pure a pheno of the HP13 as he could from crosses. You should have seen that plant before he started breeding.

HP13 is best grown SOG, IMO.

SinCity

SinCity

so i'm thinking i'm going to let go of the males. i'm finally confident i can rely on other strains to get me the smell and flavor that ruined me to just about anything else. also, i just don;t have a good place for the boys. the poor structure and low yield of the HP13 don't make it that compelling as long as i can get that stink. i'm going to leave the breeding to the pros.

that means it's time to take cuttings, flip, and sex!!!!! SO EXCITED!!!!

the original seedlings have been so poorly cared for as i waited to find a place for the males and have gotten so leggy that i'm not going to keep those after i take the cuttings. i'll just start new moms from the female cuttings. i don't even think it's worth it to flower the current ones. poor things.

more soon and thanks everyone for your continued guidance and encouragement!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Why don't you flower the males and keep the pollen? The pollen will remain viable forever (a long time, obviously!) and you will have it for your genetic experiments later on. As for old seeds, I have some from the 70s that still pop...it might take them a week and only about 15% pop, but it works for keeping old strains alive.

Nugg

Nugg

Don't flower the males..trash them...grow female only..make one or part of them pollinate...save that pollen for the next female..them seeds will all be female...no more waisting time growing males.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
so i'm thinking i'm going to let go of the males. i'm finally confident i can rely on other strains to get me the smell and flavor that ruined me to just about anything else. also, i just don;t have a good place for the boys. the poor structure and low yield of the HP13 don't make it that compelling as long as i can get that stink. i'm going to leave the breeding to the pros.

that means it's time to take cuttings, flip, and sex!!!!! SO EXCITED!!!!

the original seedlings have been so poorly cared for as i waited to find a place for the males and have gotten so leggy that i'm not going to keep those after i take the cuttings. i'll just start new moms from the female cuttings. i don't even think it's worth it to flower the current ones. poor things.

more soon and thanks everyone for your continued guidance and encouragement!
Sounds like a solid plan!! Good choice with promix, its a no brainer imo. Sometimes I do 50/50 of promix/coco to switch things up. Bee using megacrop (greeleafnutrients)lately for my nutrients, its a one part powder. Super simple.

SinCity

SinCity

Why don't you flower the males and keep the pollen? The pollen will remain viable forever (a long time, obviously!) and you will have it for your genetic experiments later on. As for old seeds, I have some from the 70s that still pop...it might take them a week and only about 15% pop, but it works for keeping old strains alive.

I just don't have the set up nor the experience to work with anything but females...

SinCity

SinCity

Don't flower the males..trash them...grow female only..make one or part of them pollinate...save that pollen for the next female..them seeds will all be female...no more waisting time growing males.

Appreciate it, but like i said, i just don't have the set-up nor the experience to breed. I'm leaving that to the pros. The only thing i've ever known is females. Hell, this is my first time from seedlings even!!

SinCity

SinCity

wow! from the 70s?? again, i appreciate it-- but i'm just glad to be back INSIDE with the girls.

SinCity

SinCity

Sounds like a solid plan!! Good choice with promix, its a no brainer imo. Sometimes I do 50/50 of promix/coco to switch things up. Bee using megacrop (greeleafnutrients)lately for my nutrients, its a one part powder. Super simple.

hmmm...a one part powder....that's sure does sound nice and easy!

Erick31876

Erick31876

I finally 'released' them a couple of weeks ago. They're still working through some deficiencies, etc. They've been so patient! I'm not giving up on finding a place for the males, so i'm just going to keep vegging until i find a home for the males. these are a few of my little ragtag babies. I'm a shitty photographer.

View attachment 856137
They are some big babies,lol

SinCity

SinCity

for a day or two, some of my outdoor friends from here were trying to get me to drink the kool-aid on amended soils...bugs anyone?

SinCity

SinCity

They are some big babies,lol

my poor plants...I should be put on trial for high crimes against cannabis! they've been very patient with me while i toyed with the idea of finding a home for the males...

i'm glad i explored a new horizon but no need for me to deal with anything but girls

i'm rehabbing them now before i take cuttings to sex them

Latest posts

Top Bottom