Old school skunk..does it exist???

• Thread starter Jackson1969
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Natep

Most old strain fell off for a reason. With all the phenom hunting people do these days. The old strain that were 14-15 percent don’t get grown any more. Now the strains are up to 38 percent.

ACSippi

ACSippi

See that Columbian Gold? Exactly what I'm talking about. I've always thought CG should be heavy in the conversation about Skunk origins...mmmaybe Skunk even being a landrace CG. Breeding to Afghani doesn't mean that was the key to the odor.

If I was growing CG in the 70s, a sativa, the first cross that would come to my mind would be a stocky short flowering Afghani, riiight? Landraces were sparce back in the day so they didn't have many options.

But nowadays you look around and CG is floral. Ahem...sweet. I don't know when that happened but a town or area called Santa Marta, I believe, became the epicenter of CG and ever since CG has been floral.

But what about the Skunky CG grown on the southern border of Columbia? I know I'm not making this up about skunky CG but it's like someone re-found a landrace in Colombia and that was that. That's 'Columbian Gold.' I wonder what Sam or any other OGs think about that. I'm over here thinking they'd fully agree with me that something aint right.

I've gotten all my info from reading hightimes, internet researches and tons of other stuff over the decades, there's no way I grew up convincing myself that CG was skunky for the heck of it. I learned it so seeing floral as a description tells me Columbia has/had more than one landrace.

So did Sam go down to Columbia and sweeten up their weed too? On top of Santa Marta Mountain? If it is a mountain lol like a mad scientist. Just being funny there but dang! As far as Medmad, is that the OG medman? Dang haven't heard that name in a while!

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
78D2EB91 C361 4083 B661 11E4468ACA29

Cbdfool

Cbdfool

I grew some CBD Kush autos 3-4 years ago. Literally stunk up the house so bad it drove everyone out of the house at Easter. It smelled like the 80’s shit we grew. So yeah that was a weird holiday. People complaining that it smelled like a dead skunk outside with the doors and windows closed. lol. Being low thc/high cbd you would have never known. The shit would stone the shit outta ya. All 5 seeds were the same. The 10 after that had little to no skunk odor. They were very squatty and rock hard gooey buds. After trimming and sealing in jars it took over a week for the smell to go.
Otherwise it’s been since 2002-3 since I’ve seen it. We used to get the seeds mailed to us from a guy in California and another in BC. From about 1995-2002. It would be nice to get into some of that again.

IMG 3193
Leeboy

Leeboy

I grew some CBD Kush autos 3-4 years ago. Literally stunk up the house so bad it drove everyone out of the house at Easter. It smelled like the 80’s shit we grew. So yeah that was a weird holiday. People complaining that it smelled like a dead skunk outside with the doors and windows closed. lol. Being low thc/high cbd you would have never known. The shit would stone the shit outta ya. All 5 seeds were the same. The 10 after that had little to no skunk odor. They were very squatty and rock hard gooey buds. After trimming and sealing in jars it took over a week for the smell to go.
Otherwise it’s been since 2002-3 since I’ve seen it. We used to get the seeds mailed to us from a guy in California and another in BC. From about 1995-2002. It would be nice to get into some of that again.
Nice post. Im from BC and have tried every grower, producer. Hydro store and zero luck so far.

S

SamSquatch

Nice post. Im from BC and have tried every grower, producer. Hydro store and zero luck so far.
Try Purple Caper Seeds at North Atlantic Seedbank. They
Try Purple Caper Seeds at North Atlantic Seedbank. They have many interesting Skunks like Skunk Vomit and Rotting Carcass Skunk. I'm going to grow Grape Skunk next crop.

ddandurand

ddandurand

Im a quite a bit younger so in never was around for the skunk era, but from what alot of guys tell me and Ive seen Kevin Jodrey speak of it smelling of burnt rubber. I remember getting some bud that legit smelled like burning tires around 2012 or so here in Michigan. This is what my nose thinks it smells like but idk i wasnt alive in the 80's. I remember commenting on how it smelled at the time and didn't realise how specal it was.

S

SamSquatch

Im a quite a bit younger so in never was around for the skunk era, but from what alot of guys tell me and Ive seen Kevin Jodrey speak of it smelling of burnt rubber. I remember getting some bud that legit smelled like burning tires around 2012 or so here in Michigan. This is what my nose thinks it smells like but idk i wasnt alive in the 80's. I remember commenting on how it smelled at the time and didn't realise how specal it was.
Skunk vomit, rotting carcasses or burnt rubber doesn't really sound like something I would miss. Maybe try but not miss. Give me a sweet skunky OG any day.

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

Skunk vomit, rotting carcasses or burnt rubber doesn't really sound like something I would miss. Maybe try but not miss. Give me a sweet skunky OG any day.
To each their own but I have smelled some really strong and skunky buds over the decades and it is true, there is almost a burnt rubber vibe on some of them. I know the exact terpene profile that Kevin Jodrey is talking about. It's actually a great smell. Every once in a while I will come across a strain that has a hint of that smell and it takes my brain back to the good old days when it was much stronger and much more common.

Top Bottom