Opinions? Any Suggestions? Hopefully Help

• Thread starter Dano110
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tacky_Fingaz

Tacky_Fingaz

only unhealthy plants will uptake lots of heavy metals.. happens outdoors as well..
That is the most incorrect thing I think I’ve read in a while. I am also 💯 sure that Jeremy @ BAS would agree with me. I thank you should do some research. If you like I could email you some material to change your mind. I do want to clarify that I mean no harm. I’m stoned and I come in peace. I have zero sarcasm in this response. Nothing but love and the willingness to share what I know and learn off the others that can share theirs with me.

CannabiscoJ

CannabiscoJ

I found mikrobs to be very comparable to recharge at a better price. Still have recharge, but run the Mikro line because of spore/cfu counts & different strain specifics types. I use RAW bloom microbes a week before the switch to flower.. Slf100 supposedly has 4 main strains -2 bacillus strains and 2 enzymatic bacterial cleaners .. sensizyme,cannazyme, hygrozyme -enzyme products can have there places. I use Rootwise Bio-catalyst Enzyme Elixer i got off BAS which has 10 different enzymes.. probiotics I'd go for homemade LAB or if you aren't handy then EM1 or SCD BioAg or ProBio Balance Plus or Quantum Organic Light. Some contain LIVE Purple non sulfur bacteria as well as LIVE LABS & other LiVE beneficial bacteria..you would surprised how many microbial products that don't actually have live cultures inside, supposedly some need activated if they aren't already dead. Now that purple non sulfur bacteria i couldn't sporulate at home without a mother culture. So yeah bought some to make my own at home. Also one would want to be careful using recharge or any nitrogen solubilizing bacteria strains in flowering cycle. It can fix a N deficiency , but it was too much N for me in flower.. Potassium solubilizing & K solubilizing bacteria strains run better from my research and experience. There are a few K & Silica solubilizing strains - Bacillus Mucilaginosus is one. Granted one still needs to feed these microbes organic foods like composts, carbs, yeasts, starches, ferments, malts, barley , aminos, oligosaccharide, polyols etc.
Natural pgrs work too like aminos & calcium, chitin, triacontanol.
Recharge & Slf100 will get the job done tho.
Some will say hey you are wasting money doing all that tho..
I just let them 🤷

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
That is the most incorrect thing I think I’ve read in a while. I am also 💯 sure that Jeremy @ BAS would agree with me. I thank you should do some research. If you like I could email you some material to change your mind. I do want to clarify that I mean no harm. I’m stoned and I come in peace. I have zero sarcasm in this response. Nothing but love and the willingness to share what I know and learn off the others that can share theirs with me.
no i don’t need a report..
you believe what you want and i’ll believe what i want..

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Do you guys know Ulysses? Because all of that is Greek to me........ ;)

And while I'm sure most of us are guys, I'm not saying all of us are male. I've seen great work by women too.

Ok so microbes, enzymes, bacteria, amino acids......I'm thinking yogurt and kombucha... ;). Now I know what these things are, I get how they're good for us humans, our digestive health.......and I assume that plants have needs, things they get from healthy soil, things that go beyond the "N-P-K" most of us know about. Soil itself should have a variety of active bacteria working on breaking down matter, it's far more than just "dirt", and nutrients need to be available to plants, delivered through roots.......just like a healthy diet for us isn't only vitamins A-K, otherwise we could all just eat 3 multivitamins a day.

This is one of the main reasons that I like to make soil with an "all of the above" approach. Even if we have the most minimal understanding of plant/soil science, it seems to make sense that combining a variety of ingredients offers a variety of nutrients just like a healthy diet for us includes a wide variety of foods. Fiber isn't a vitamin but is just as important an ingredient......

But when it comes to these kinds of things, I'm gonna say you're entering areas that most of us aren't very familiar with, even rather experienced growers. I'm not saying you have to dumb things down or always explain things at a 3rd grade level, but it might be good to explain things as if you were trying to teach a young/naive person who's completely unfamiliar with these things. Maybe the way to do it is to start new threads (or add to existing ones if there already are), and call them "micronutrients", "enzymes", etc........

One part of all of this is to show that they're important and meaningful to begin with. Or maybe they are important but already exist in most healthy, well-rounded soils without us having to make these extra additions. I don't need to be a nutritional expert to know that a salad with a variety of ingredients is good for you. The guy next to me that can articulate the science of it is getting the same benefits from the salad as I am.......someone may come along and talk about how adding bean sprouts and mushrooms and drinking kombucha with my salad is even better. Probably so......

Then the question is, are these things going to have a meaningful, measurable impact on our plants? If so, how? Is it significsnt? Minor? Tiny....? Not as compared to dirt/clay/sand but compared to good all around soils that check off all the main boxes.

So I'd definitely like to hear more, maybe not at the 3rd grade level, but more like High School? ;). As a side note, I'm sure I'm not the only one, those of us who started smoking weed many years ago, certainly the 70s-80s.......I look back and wonder how much of all that Mexican and other imported stuff had pesticides and herbicides on it. Heavy metals was mentioned......I'm sure none of these things are good to consume, let alone smoking many joints and bowls of it on a regular basis.

Eledin

Eledin

Do you guys know Ulysses? Because all of that is Greek to me........ ;)

And while I'm sure most of us are guys, I'm not saying all of us are male. I've seen great work by women too.

Ok so microbes, enzymes, bacteria, amino acids......I'm thinking yogurt and kombucha... ;). Now I know what these things are, I get how they're good for us humans, our digestive health.......and I assume that plants have needs, things they get from healthy soil, things that go beyond the "N-P-K" most of us know about. Soil itself should have a variety of active bacteria working on breaking down matter, it's far more than just "dirt", and nutrients need to be available to plants, delivered through roots.......just like a healthy diet for us isn't only vitamins A-K, otherwise we could all just eat 3 multivitamins a day.

This is one of the main reasons that I like to make soil with an "all of the above" approach. Even if we have the most minimal understanding of plant/soil science, it seems to make sense that combining a variety of ingredients offers a variety of nutrients just like a healthy diet for us includes a wide variety of foods. Fiber isn't a vitamin but is just as important an ingredient......

But when it comes to these kinds of things, I'm gonna say you're entering areas that most of us aren't very familiar with, even rather experienced growers. I'm not saying you have to dumb things down or always explain things at a 3rd grade level, but it might be good to explain things as if you were trying to teach a young/naive person who's completely unfamiliar with these things. Maybe the way to do it is to start new threads (or add to existing ones if there already are), and call them "micronutrients", "enzymes", etc........

One part of all of this is to show that they're important and meaningful to begin with. Or maybe they are important but already exist in most healthy, well-rounded soils without us having to make these extra additions. I don't need to be a nutritional expert to know that a salad with a variety of ingredients is good for you. The guy next to me that can articulate the science of it is getting the same benefits from the salad as I am.......someone may come along and talk about how adding bean sprouts and mushrooms and drinking kombucha with my salad is even better. Probably so......

Then the question is, are these things going to have a meaningful, measurable impact on our plants? If so, how? Is it significsnt? Minor? Tiny....? Not as compared to dirt/clay/sand but compared to good all around soils that check off all the main boxes.

So I'd definitely like to hear more, maybe not at the 3rd grade level, but more like High School? ;). As a side note, I'm sure I'm not the only one, those of us who started smoking weed many years ago, certainly the 70s-80s.......I look back and wonder how much of all that Mexican and other imported stuff had pesticides and herbicides on it. Heavy metals was mentioned......I'm sure none of these things are good to consume, let alone smoking many joints and bowls of it on a regular basis.
Okay here is all you need to know in a tl;dr.
Microorganisms: fight pests, assimilate nutrients for your plants improving uptake by breaking down organic material, results in healthier roots, more roots and hence bigger plants.
Enzymes: Makes the decomposing process of organic matter faster. (Like organic ammendments, organic liquids or old roots). Helps keep the soil clean since youre taking whats in there before adding more ferts. They also convert accumulated salts in the roots from nutrients in food, keep the roots clear aswell for better uptake.
Micronutrients: Too many for a tl;dr. You use them when you want a little extra boost or just to ensure the health of your plant, youre not gonna get huge gains with many of them but with others you might. Silica for example makes your plant way stronger and thicker, its present in your medium already most likely (unless youre using coco) but adding an extra is very noticeable. Carbohydrates are crucial for sticky smelly flowers. Iron, Manganese, Zinc, etc are already present if youre using tap water or even bottled water (ammounts will be different, a ppm meter can give you an idea on how many minerals the water has), but Im not sure about RO water, thats when maybe buying those can make a difference. Many base ferts also include them. Calcium and Magnessium also come in tap water, but if your base fert doesnt have them and youre using RO water its advisable to use calmag, if your base ferts have calcium and magnessium then only if any sign of deficiency appears. Calcium is crucial as a building block for the plant new material. Magnessium is crucial for photosyntesis and it also helps with salt build up in the soil.
Did I forget anything? Do you need more info? If so ask a question and I will try to answer if its inside my knowdledge and I will try to leave behind the science behind it and things that might confuse people.

Last edited:
D

Dano110

Microorganisms: fight pests, assimilate nutrients for your plants improving uptake by breaking down organic material, results in healthier roots, more roots and hence bigger plants.
Enzymes: Makes the decomposing process of organic matter faster. (Like organic ammendments, organic liquids or old roots). Helps keep the soil clean since youre taking whats in there before adding more ferts. They also convert accumulated salts in the roots from nutrients in food, keep the roots clear aswell for better uptake.
Micronutrients: Too many for a tl;dr. You use them when you want a little extra boost or just to ensure the health of your plant, youre not gonna get huge gains with many of them but with others you might. Silica for example makes your plant way stronger and thicker, its present in your medium already most likely (unless youre using coco) but adding an extra is very noticeable. Carbohydrates are crucial for sticky smelly flowers. Iron, Manganese, Zinc, etc are already present if youre using tap water or even bottled water (ammounts will be different, a ppm meter can give you an idea on how many minerals the water has), but Im not sure about RO water, thats when maybe buying those can make a difference. Many base ferts also include them. Calcium and Magnessium also come in tap water, but if your base fert doesnt have them and youre using RO water its advisable to use calmag, if your base ferts have calcium and magnessium then only if any sign of deficiency appears. Calcium is crucial as a building block for the plant new material. Magnessium is crucial for photosyntesis and it also helps with salt build up in the soil.
Did I forget anything? Do you need more info? If so ask a question and I will try to answer if its inside my knowdledge and I will try to leave behind the science behind it and things that might confuse people.
Yall make my head hurt lmao. This is why I ask for advice, I don't have room for that kinda info, I got engine stuff to store lol, I build engines for a living lol. Thanks tho, I did read. I've checked ppm it's around 35 before adding nutes, haven't checked after adding. That good or bad?

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I get a lot of that, I mean I already know that things like Iron, calcium, zinc, magnesium,.....these are part of the fairly basic elements that plants need. And enzymes help break down matter, composting.......

I guess what I mean more is around the desire to add various products beyond what exists in most good soils and water and whether you're going to see noticeable improvements in plants. I get the basic science of "soil and needed ingredients that make good soil".

That is a good rundown by the way. I've never used anything other than soil, and I can see how working with other mediums, hydroponics, etc..... you gotta have a pretty good idea of all these things that need to be on point.

Some of that stuff Cannabisco mentioned......non-purple stuff? ;) That gets pretty involved...

Last edited:
Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I bought some things I haven't used yet, like epsom salts, gypsum, bone meal.......I need to figure out how and when and how much to use them. I've never worked with them before. Like the fact that using LEDs can lead to certain deficiencies, I never knew that. This is a whole area I need to learn more about. I've seen people use molasses.......I'm a little concerned about using that indoors I don't know if sugary stuff would attract bugs? And adding starches? Humic acid, that's another one I'm just hearing about.

When adding things that take longer to break down, should we be adding enzymes to help that process and make them more available to plants?

Of course anything that can improve/maximize resin, potency.........there's the whole debate around adding UV, specifically UVB, and exactly what part of the spectrum and how to use it. I wanted to try it on my current grow but I think I better learn more about it first. Someone here was actually part of a study that showed UVB increased resin and potency.

Last edited:
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I bought some things I haven't used yet, like epsom salts, gypsum, bone meal.......I need to figure out how and when and how much to use them. I've never worked with them before. Like the fact that using LEDs can lead to certain deficiencies, I never knew that. This is a whole area I need to learn more about. I've seen people use molasses.......I'm a little concerned about using that indoors I don't know if sugary stuff would attract bugs? And adding starches?

When adding things that take longer to break down, should we be adding enzymes to help that process and make them more available to plants?

Of course anything that can improve/maximize resin, potency.........there's the whole debate around adding UV, specifically UVB, and exactly what part of the spectrum and how to use it. I wanted to try it on my current grow but I think I better learn more about it first. Someone here was actually part of a study that showed UVB increased resin and potency.
I avoid the sugary additions, they defenitly have their place and myco colonies love it, but yes it can attract bugs if no preventative maintenance and contributed maintenance is not kept up, I just dont Go and add additional molasses to teas etc, maybe I’ll try one day but bugs etc make my head spin lol.

I run UV/IR bars in my tent, I just run them lights on till lights off, haven’t had any negative effects I can notice, my runs with the bars on have defenitly been frostier but I could be I was getting better genetics as well, would have to regrow some of the same strains I’ve grown before to have a really good comparison to make a worthwhile opinion

I do run epsom/gypsum/azomite in addition to my Gaia green feed schedule, i top dress for a 5 bucket, 3tbs epsom / 3 tbs gypsum / 3 tbs azomite every 2 weeks, Gaia feed every 4 weeks

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I avoid the sugary additions, they defenitly have their place and myco colonies love it, but yes it can attract bugs if no preventative maintenance and contributed maintenance is not kept up, I just dont Go and add additional molasses to teas etc, maybe I’ll try one day but bugs etc make my head spin lol.

I run UV/IR bars in my tent, I just run them lights on till lights off, haven’t had any negative effects I can notice, my runs with the bars on have defenitly been frostier but I could be I was getting better genetics as well, would have to regrow some of the same strains I’ve grown before to have a really good comparison to make a worthwhile opinion

I do run epsom/gypsum/azomite in addition to my Gaia green feed schedule, i top dress for a 5 bucket, 3tbs epsom / 3 tbs gypsum / 3 tbs azomite every 2 weeks, Gaia feed every 4 weeks
Yeah it's so hard to tell if UV works, a scientific study is needed where they'd have to run all clones, keeping everything equal except for the UV.......I don't know if anyone has done it yet. I haven't seen anything around IR either. Azomite is another one I know nothing about, I'll read up on that one too.

You use 3lbs of those every 2 weeks? Spread over 5 pots? It seems like a lot, but like I said I'm new to these additions.

T

Tyrant

Not sure if your aware but gnick is one of the most experienced growers here. Just like to let you know your not talking to some rookie. Not trying to be sarcastic nothing but love.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Yeah it's so hard to tell if UV works, a scientific study is needed where they'd have to run all clones, keeping everything equal except for the UV.......I don't know if anyone has done it yet. I haven't seen anything around IR either. Azomite is another one I know nothing about, I'll read up on that one too.

You use 3lbs of those every 2 weeks? Spread over 5 pots? It seems like a lot, but like I said I'm new to these additions.
TBS = tablespoon *not pounds*

That’s per amendment per pot

Eg. each 5 gallon pot gets 3tbs of epsom, 3tbs gypsum, 3 tbs azomite every 2 weeks

CannabiscoJ

CannabiscoJ

My apologies, I didn't mean to over complicate a conversation or thread. It just felt like someone was pushing brands as the 1 all be all and it's just not that simple. I mean it is cause one can grow dank with soil & just water.. additives are not needed & if you have a healthy soil mostly everything the plant will need will already be in the soil. I use recycled reamended soil & condition it in a way that all I usually need to do is feed it water or a occasional tea. If I think I need to give more brix to the plant then I may add a tea or microbial or a carb. But really in a healthy rhizosphere the plant barters exudates with microbes & microbes provide the plant with predigested nutrients that the microbes processed from enzymes that they made to eat the yummies in the soil. You really shouldn't need to apply different potions or rely on products. And for folks that do , there is nothing wrong with your growing style either. Different strokes for different folks. We much like the rhizosphere, are a group of highly different peoples, but we all have the same end goal. You can get good results with water & good soil, or organic or veganic or synthetic or hybrid styles either by knf or bottled salts. We all have our own way. If it works why not right? As for different types of microbial life like fungi mycorrhizae or trichoderma & bacterial strains like bacillus & purple non sulfurbacteria. I never meant to confuse anyone , if curious like I was -ask away.

Tacky_Fingaz

Tacky_Fingaz

My apologies, I didn't mean to over complicate a conversation or thread. It just felt like someone was pushing brands as the 1 all be all and it's just not that simple. I mean it is cause one can grow dank with soil & just water.. additives are not needed & if you have a healthy soil mostly everything the plant will need will already be in the soil. I use recycled reamended soil & condition it in a way that all I usually need to do is feed it water or an occasional tea. If I think I need to give more brix to the plant then I may add a tea or microbial or a carb. But really in a healthy rhizosphere the plant barters exudates with microbes & microbes provide the plant with predigested nutrients that the microbes processed from enzymes that they made to eat the yummies in the soil. You really shouldn't need to apply different potions or rely on products. And for folks that do , there is nothing wrong with your growing style either. Different strokes for different folks. We much like the rhizosphere, are a group of highly different peoples, but we all have the same end goal. You can get good results with water & good soil, or organic or veganic or synthetic or hybrid styles either by knf or bottled salts. We all have our own way. If it works why not right? As for different types of microbial life like fungi mycorrhizae or trichoderma & bacterial strains like bacillus & purple non sulfurbacteria. I never meant to confuse anyone , if curious like I was -ask away.
Nah not pushing anything. I am not a rep nor have I given any discount codes that benefits me. Simply stating what I felt would help his situation is all. Not flexing, not acting like Einstein or the yoda of growing lol just trying to give advice to a newbie grower. My apologies for hurting anyone’s egos or feelings.

Top Bottom