Organic Pest Prevention

• Thread starter Stanky1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ecompost

Ecompost

Isopropyl alcohol really seems to do quite a lot, and I think I mentioned that my tested flowers came back clean for residues.

The added benefit of having this laying around, you can clean up stuff and reclaim oil from previously unreachable parts of your bubble bags and more :-)

Patanjali

Patanjali

Isopropyl alcohol really seems to do quite a lot, and I think I mentioned that my tested flowers came back clean for residues.
Is isopropyl approved for organics? I was thinking you could only use it as a cleaning agent?

yeah i feel this, boys here switched to BotanClan and everyones herb was the same, different names, but same same. I make my own, so never got the BotanClan flavour in our yard.
Went to Co, all the bud tasted like Botan, went to Amsterdam, all the bud taste like baby sick, idk why people dont discuss this more, flavour is really important in the delivery of meds imo, if we can improve the taste, we can max out the other impacts
I don't think botanicare is organic either is it? Sorry, not that familiar with da hydrostore stuff.

P-

Ecompost

Ecompost

Is isopropyl approved for organics? I was thinking you could only use it as a cleaning agent?

I don't think botanicare is organic either is it? Sorry, not that familiar with da hydrostore stuff.

P-
they do both as I recall, they sure have a tea product, it sucks, but they have one, (a mock tea)

shemshemet

shemshemet

With isopropyl alcohol is there no worry for the additive they use to keep it undrinkable?

Are the additives not added to 99% isopropyl? Only the blends with ethanol get the additives?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I thought it was undrinkable because of the type of alcohol, not because of additives.
It's not even reportable, like using straight plant essential oils. So... do with it what you will.

Patanjali

Patanjali

I thought it was undrinkable because of the type of alcohol, not because of additives.

It's not even reportable, like using straight plant essential oils. So... do with it what you will.
I'm not exactly sure how to read this, so I'm open to interpretation. This is from the National Organic Producers:

§205.601 Synthetic substances allowed for use in organic crop production.
In accordance with restrictions specified in this section, the following synthetic substances may be used in organic crop production: Provided, That, use of such substances do not contribute to contamination of crops, soil, or water. Substances allowed by this section, except disinfectants and sanitizers in paragraph (a) and those substances in paragraphs (c), (j), (k), and (l) of this section, may only be used when the provisions set forth in §205.206(a) through (d) prove insufficient to prevent or control the target pest.

(a) As algicide, disinfectants, and sanitizer, including irrigation system cleaning systems.

(1) Alcohols.

(i) Ethanol.

(ii) Isopropanol.

Peace!

P-

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
How is alcohol synthetic when it's the end result of fermentation? I don't get that.

Patanjali

Patanjali

How is alcohol synthetic when it's the end result of fermentation? I don't get that.
I don't know how they determine what is allowed or not, I'm just posting from their site. Unless I'm reading this incorrectly (which is possible) I don't think Isopropyl is allowed in organics other than for a cleaning agent, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Peace!

P-

Patanjali

Patanjali

Formula 23-H
Yeah damn it! They need to make sure they get their money for alcohol tax! :p

To protect alcohol tax revenue in the United States, all preparations classified as Rubbing Alcohols (defined as those containing ethanol) must have poisonous additives to limit human consumption in accordance with the requirements of the US Treasury Department, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, using Formula 23-H (8 parts by volume of acetone, 1.5 parts by volume of methyl isobutyl ketone, and 100 parts by volume of ethyl alcohol). It contains 87.5-91% by volume of absolute ethyl alcohol. The rest consists of water and the denaturants, with or without color additives, and perfume oils. Rubbing alcohol contains in each 100 mL not less than 355 mg of sucrose octaacetate or not less than 1.40 mg of denatonium benzoate. The preparation may be colored with one or more color additives. A suitable stabilizer may also be added.[4]

P-

shemshemet

shemshemet

So maybe not isopropyl alcohol, long as it is not labeled isopropyl rubbing alochol

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

Knock on wood, I haven't had much trouble with pests in the few years I've been growing. I did recently have an infestation of fungus gnats, they were a pain in the ass but, I eventually eliminated them with Natria spray and top-dressing all my pots with a product called Mosquito Bits.

Patanjali

Patanjali

Knock on wood, I haven't had much trouble with pests in the few years I've been growing. I did recently have an infestation of fungus gnats, they were a pain in the ass but, I eventually eliminated them with Natria spray and top-dressing all my pots with a product called Mosquito Bits.
I would stay away from anything Bayer. These are seriously bad guys in the business. That Natria spray lists the only active ingredient as canola oil, but then in the msds says if you get it on your clothing to remove clothing and wash skin immediately. No toxicology data is given, no omri or usda organic labels.

BTi is Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis and is often used in organic gardening for fungus gnats. I find a good top dress of neem meal, and then a little neem meal bubbled in the water will also knock the hell out of them.

Peace!

P-

View attachment M102000022781_Natria_Multi-Insect_Control_RTS.pdf
Ecompost

Ecompost

Stay out of the hydrostores and navigating will become exponentially easier. Stay away from the bottles, even easier yet.

P-
hahhha I run my own company mate which happened by accident when I brought a farm

Top Bottom