Organic Soil Mix

• Thread starter mrbong73
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shredder

Udyana... that thing's BRILLIANT! Man, what I did to my shoulder mixing soil the other day for new transplants... jeez.

As for that SmartSak, how would it work for composting? I look at it and think, "That thing's gonna come up to my chest, how would I turn it?"

I bought two compost saks, and use one for compost and one for a soil container. It is hard to Completely turn the compost, I take out a wheel borrow full, turn what's left in the sac and then return the rest, but since the sak breaths I'm sure I could just leave it alone for a slower cook. So far I have been happy with them. I think the black color makes for a quicker start, mine started heating up when the night temps were still below freezing, and while my regular compost heaps were still cold. The only problem I have is once their filled, it's tough to move them, so pick their spot carefully.....shredder

U

Udyana Peace

mrbong73

1. Beautiful garden - wow!

2. Nice job on the AACT brewer. Very nice indeed and looks like it is designed to be very effective.

3. What really impressed me with your photos was your garden cart. I was at a local nursery wholesale house this afternoon to pick up my new lights and they had 4 or 5 models on display as they were having a sale on these carts (same manufacturer as your cart). They ain't cheap but they're built like a tank.

Here's the page to the new lights I'm installing this weekend (P.L. Light Systems HSE Model). Click on the small photo icons that are overlayed on top of the master photo for some different angles on the design on these light systems - link

UP

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Mrbong, I'm sorry, I can't stop looking at the hardscape and the sunshine. You have an outdoor kitchen and sunshine? Envy.

M

mrbong73

I bought two compost saks, and use one for compost and one for a soil container. It is hard to Completely turn the compost, I take out a wheel borrow full, turn what's left in the sac and then return the rest, but since the sak breaths I'm sure I could just leave it alone for a slower cook. So far I have been happy with them. I think the black color makes for a quicker start, mine started heating up when the night temps were still below freezing, and while my regular compost heaps were still cold. The only problem I have is once their filled, it's tough to move them, so pick their spot carefully.....shredder

Hey Shredder, thanks for the input on the compost saks. I will be trying these out myself soon.

mrbong73

1. Beautiful garden - wow!

2. Nice job on the AACT brewer. Very nice indeed and looks like it is designed to be very effective.

3. What really impressed me with your photos was your garden cart. I was at a local nursery wholesale house this afternoon to pick up my new lights and they had 4 or 5 models on display as they were having a sale on these carts (same manufacturer as your cart). They ain't cheap but they're built like a tank.

Here's the page to the new lights I'm installing this weekend (P.L. Light Systems HSE Model). Click on the small photo icons that are overlayed on top of the master photo for some different angles on the design on these light systems - link

UP
Thanks UP
I love my "little burrow". That thing saves my ass, I mean back. The girls get loaded on there in the morning and go out to enjoy the sun. Saves me money by not running the lights too. I also use it to lug soil and amendments from the truck to the backyard.
Those PL Lights are top notch. If I ever get the chance to expand I will be looking into those as my lighting source.

Mrbong, I'm sorry, I can't stop looking at the hardscape and the sunshine. You have an outdoor kitchen and sunshine? Envy.
I do enjoy my little paradise. We hardly feel like going on vacation because it's so nice to just chill at home.

T

Toes

that's one heavy duty tea brewer.... kinda makes my whisper 20 envious...

M

mrbong73

Toes
The smaller pumps can be effective if you brew a smaller batch. I'd say use 1 gallon of water with a very small amount of compost or ewc and foods. You can then dilute with 4 gallons and have 5 gallons of tea.

mrb

dextr0

dextr0

I have to agree with Toes, that is a nice toy you have there. I had seen it, waited to see if maybe it would be explained, but your new pix are worth a 1000 words. Of course if u want to speak on it, I would like to here specifics.

I believe Im looking at something all of us should have if we want to do it right. I remember getting discouraged when I found out my pump may not even be doing what I as a grower am trying to accomplish...
Thankfully I am who I am and saw that I could use my small pump for small mixtures. And that was fine for me. But we all have different needs.

Mrbongs pictures show exactly what u need to have. Thats cool. Thank u mrbong.

phenotyper

phenotyper

Mr Bong, you are always killing it. Hate to be a fanboy, but shit. I love your setup and form what I see of your yard/house, it looks like a very nice place. I totally wish I had the backyard space for that.

UP, could you link where you got that rolling cement mixer? That is considerably more awesome than filling up the 18 Gallon Roughneck and mixing for 30 minutes. EDIT: found it! thanks anyhow,

M

mrbong73

I have to agree with Toes, that is a nice toy you have there. I had seen it, waited to see if maybe it would be explained, but your new pix are worth a 1000 words. Of course if u want to speak on it, I would like to here specifics.

I believe Im looking at something all of us should have if we want to do it right. I remember getting discouraged when I found out my pump may not even be doing what I as a grower am trying to accomplish...
Thankfully I am who I am and saw that I could use my small pump for small mixtures. And that was fine for me. But we all have different needs.

Mrbongs pictures show exactly what u need to have. Thats cool. Thank u mrbong.

Thanks dextr0,
After I make a tea I will take everything apart except the base and the valve fittings and soak everything in oxyclean overnight. I have a long handled tire brush that I use to scrub down the bucket after use. The 90 and fittings at the end of the hose stay together also. They don't get splashed so no bio film to worry about.
Glad you like it.
I haven't had the tea tested yet or put a DO meter in so it could be all looks.

Mr Bong, you are always killing it. Hate to be a fanboy, but shit. I love your setup and form what I see of your yard/house, it looks like a very nice place. I totally wish I had the backyard space for that.

UP, could you link where you got that rolling cement mixer? That is considerably more awesome than filling up the 18 Gallon Roughneck and mixing for 30 minutes. EDIT: found it! thanks anyhow,

Thanks phenotyper, I'm jealous of all you for having rooms to grow in. My set up is pretty bush league but I grow for personal so it's all good.
Peace
mrb

phenotyper

phenotyper

Since this is about soil mixes, what do you think of this? I calculated the final NPK ratio of all the ingredients to be 4.5-11.52-8. I would likely use this as a soil amendment or in a tea. Any recommendations on NPK ratio, ingredients whatever would be awesome. Should I double the amount of Rock Phosphate to make it nearly equal parts P and K, or keep P higher than K?

Will also add earthworm castings. Compost necessary?

Down To Earth Brand stuff (other, cheaper better options?)
Rock Phosphate 0 - 0 - 3 = 0 - 0 - 3
Kelp Meal 1 - .01 - 2 x2 = 2 - 0.02 4
Bat Guano 0 - 7 - 0 x1.5 = 0 - 10.5 - 0
Alfalfa Meal 2.5 - 1 - 1 x1 = 2.5 - 1 - 1
----------------------------------------------------------
4.5 - 11.52 - 8

With Azomite, Liquid Karma, Floralicious Plus, Molasses as additional amendments.

Qu'est-ce que tu penses?

M

mrbong73

Since this is about soil mixes, what do you think of this? I calculated the final NPK ratio of all the ingredients to be 4.5-11.52-8. I would likely use this as a soil amendment or in a tea. Any recommendations on NPK ratio, ingredients whatever would be awesome. Should I double the amount of Rock Phosphate to make it nearly equal parts P and K, or keep P higher than K?

Will also add earthworm castings. Compost necessary?

Down To Earth Brand stuff (other, cheaper better options?)
Rock Phosphate 0 - 0 - 3 = 0 - 0 - 3
Kelp Meal 1 - .01 - 2 x2 = 2 - 0.02 4
Bat Guano 0 - 7 - 0 x1.5 = 0 - 10.5 - 0
Alfalfa Meal 2.5 - 1 - 1 x1 = 2.5 - 1 - 1
----------------------------------------------------------
4.5 - 11.52 - 8

With Azomite, Liquid Karma, Floralicious Plus, Molasses as additional amendments.

Qu'est-ce que tu penses?

The Down to Earth ferts. are a good choice. The Bio Fish being a good to great option. Their other blends would work as well.

Here's the ratios I have been going off.
Alfalfa meal 2x
Fish meal 1x
Fish Bone meal 1x
Neem seed meal .5x
Kelp meal .5x
Crab meal .5x

I might say more N for veg.
I'm seeing good results this run by top dressing fish bone meal and k mag in flower. I did one top dress at 1 week before flip and one at 4 weeks in.

Here's my theory:
Get what you can in the soil mix then maintain microbe health with ACT and microbe food. Add nutrients as necessary via top dress.
My waterings consist of:
aloe vera juice
molasses
fish hydrolysate
kelp extract
alfalfa meal, kelp meal and neem seed meal teas
humic/fulvic acids
protekt silica

mrb

M

mrbong73

A little "experiment".
I had some soil mix sitting around that I was going to try out. Maybe 3 or 4 gallons worth. I had mixed it with some premixed dry ferts that I got online. It had some ingredients that I don't normally use but thought I'd try just to be fair. But when I went to use it I noticed a foul smell from it so I put it back on the side yard.
It also had all kinds of bugs and tiny larvae crawling around in it. Little tiny red spider looking things crawling around. I wish I knew what all those bugs were.
So anyway,
I had a bucket with a neem seed, alfalfa meal and kelp meal mixture that had been sitting for a couple days.
I took the soil with the bugs, put it in a tub and filled it with that mixture. Everything was under water. I saw the bugs coming to the surface. I sat there and watched for like 15 min. untill there was no more movement. Then let it sit like that for an hour or so. Dumped off the water in my compost pile and let the mix dry out some then put it back in the nursery pot and stuck it in a garbage bag so no new bugs could get in.
That was several days ago and every time I check it there is no sign of anything crawling or wiggling around in there.
I'll let you know how it goes.

S

Shredder

Hey guys, a quick question. I'm putting together a mix that I'll use in sept. Would there be any problem using now hot compost? (bakashi and alfalfa meal,and the usual suspects used as the green source with leaves/pine needles and old soil as the brown) I'll be mixing this compost with some homemade ewc, and promix. Or should I hold up on the mix till the compost cools? Shredder

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The only "hot" thing I've ever had a problem using, and it wasn't much of a problem, was chicken shit.

M

mrbong73

Hey guys, a quick question. I'm putting together a mix that I'll use in sept. Would there be any problem using now hot compost? (bakashi and alfalfa meal,and the usual suspects used as the green source with leaves/pine needles and old soil as the brown) I'll be mixing this compost with some homemade ewc, and promix. Or should I hold up on the mix till the compost cools? Shredder

You might want to let the compost finish first but if you're not planting in it till september it should be ok.
One thing about unfinished compost is it can steal nutrients (N) from the plant while it is finishing.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Would it be completely inappropriate to point out that this is why I pee on my compost?

NO, I wasn't the squatter you saw off the 10. I only squat at home or on the trail. <grin>

S

Shredder

I was kind of concerned that the hot compost would steal N from the rest of my mix and release it as heat, instead of food energy. But waiting a week or two is no problemo. The compost looks nice and fluffy, when you grab a handful it compresses then bounces back. Although i have composted for years, it was always cold compost and just mixed in my veggie garden, this is my first thermo compost, and will be the first time using it on my medical grow. It feels weird to be exited about it, but i am.....shredder

M

mrbong73

I was kind of concerned that the hot compost would steal N from the rest of my mix and release it as heat, instead of food energy. But waiting a week or two is no problemo. The compost looks nice and fluffy, when you grab a handful it compresses then bounces back. Although i have composted for years, it was always cold compost and just mixed in my veggie garden, this is my first thermo compost, and will be the first time using it on my medical grow. It feels weird to be exited about it, but i am.....shredder

It's sounds like it's almost done or done. Should be fine. Especially since you've got some time before planting in it. Maybe re-amend slightly a couple weeks before planting if that's an option.

I'm working on a compost pile myself. I still have a little ways to go and will be burying lots of bokashi fermented kitchen scraps in it. I didn't really do the compost correctly because I added things gradually instead of all at once but it still got hot but not sure about 130*.
Here are some pics.

phenotyper

phenotyper

Thanks for all the awesome advice. Really excited to get this stuff off the ground. I sourced my stuff from a place in SF and they did not have the full line of Down to Earth.

I grabbed:

1 Dolomite Lime Excel Garden Supply 4320 4 lbs. 5.49
1 Down to Earth Alfalfa Meal Down To Earth 4321 5 lbs. 7.95
1 Down to Earth Greensand Down To Earth 4300 8 lbs. 8.95
1 Down to Earth Kelp Meal Down To Earth 4265 5 lbs. 11.95
1 Down to Earth Rose and Flower Mix Down To Earth 4230 5 lbs. 7.95
1 Down to Earth Seabird Guano Down To Earth 4250 5 lbs. 1-10-0 13.95
1 Down to Earth Steamed Bone Meal Down To Earth 4285 6 lbs. 7.95

The Rose and Flower Mix has a pretty complete nutrient profile, but I got the other stuff for top dressing and mixing my own ratios.

What's a good target NPK that won't be *too* hot for flowering? 4-8-4 is the base of R&FM, however, I was thinking
Kelp Meal = 1 - .1 - 2
1.5 x SeaBird Guano = 1.5 - 15 -0
2 x Green Sand = 0 - 0 - 6
.5 x Alfalfa Meal (okay during flower?) = 1.25-.5 -.5
Total: 3.25 - 16 - 8.5
Half of Total: 1.63 - 8 - 4.25
Rose/Flower Mix = 4-8-4
Final ratio: 5.63 - 16 - 8.25

Now, it seems all the goodies are in there for making some incredible super soil and top dressing. However, is that N ratio too high for all of flowering?

Another quesiton, I usually use Fox Farms Ocean Forest as my base soil mixed at a ratio of 3:1 Light Warrior. What is a good rule of thumb for mixing up these ingredients with my base soil in terms of ratio?

I plan on mixing a hot batch and making the bottom fourth to third (half for heavy feeders?) of the pot be the mix described above, with the base soil taking up the remaining portion. Any advice on this?

I also have some Big Bloom with EWCs/Guano, however, I haven't sourced raw EWCs yet, are they required or will the Guano have enough goodness to get everything covered in microbes?

Top Bottom