Organic Soil Mix

• Thread starter mrbong73
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mrbong73

Phenotyper
Nice purchases. I would try and follow the labels for quantities etc. but you should be cool with your mix. I like to mix my dry ferts up first then apply as applicable. (Top dress or in the soil mix)
Organic ferts can burn your plants if too much become available. Which is why the hotter the mix the longer you should let it cook.
How old/big are the plants you want to top dress?
I did the for your area. Are any of those places near you? I would recommend finding some ewc or quality compost if you can to add to the mix.

Check out these links for some good info.

phenotyper

phenotyper

Thanks! how long would you let it cook? Will I get decent results if I cook indoors? I don't have outdoor space. I assume I should brew a microbe tea to add to the mix while it cooks, maybe some Great White Mycorrhizae/Liquid Karma too.

I probably won't top dress anything with this mix. I will only top dress the plants that get this mix, but that won't be for a while.

I have some smart pots coming, 12x1gal and 5x3gallon that will get this mix when it's finished. I need to make some clones: Blue Dream, Hindu Skunk, Romulan Grapefruit, Green Crack and some FireOG.

So, I'd likely get the clones nice and healthy and fill the bottom of the 1 gallon bags with just a few inches of the hot mix, saving the rest for the flower transplant, which will be in 3 gallon bags. I usually flower them when they are almost their full size (bushmaster), so I will need to actually take stretch into consideration, so I'd estimate they will be about 16" tall give or take.

I'm going to probably run them side by side with my normal methods for a basis of comparison.

M

mrbong73

Ok so say you're going to need 2-3 cf of hot mix. I would only put about 2-3 cups total of dry fert mix/per cf to start. Which is probably way less than what the supersoil has.

I put my rooted clones directly into 3 gal smarts after 2-3 weeks of cooking.
edit: sometimes I do the 1 gal deal too.
Just wet it down with whatever mix/tea you want.
You can store inside. If possible wet it down outside in something that can drain then put it in a tub or trashcan and store wherever. It should stay pretty moist but you might check it for moisture at some point.
make sure you get the great white on the roots as early as possible.
Good luck.
[YOUTUBE]UusQ4i4FNu0[/YOUTUBE]

phenotyper

phenotyper

Great, thank you again for the advice (and my apologies if I've been bombarding you with questions). I will definitely let you know how this progresses.

G

grassyhopper

mrbong73

Let me get back to you after breakfast & some more coffee.

I did want to give you a chance to check out the label from the company that packs the glacial rock dust, Gaia Green.

Amazing isn't it? I go even higher on that one specific amendment but I'll leave that one alone. Check out the rates suggested at Reminarlize The Earth sometime.

Remember (and this is a very important distinction), glacial rock is unlike the majority of mined amendments in that it is not from volcanic action millions and millions of years ago. Volcanos produced, among other things, deposits that are called alumino-silicates.

These clays vary slightly in their composition and therefore are called different names like, bentonite, montmorillite, kaolanite, pyrophillite, and zeolite among others. Some info to consider perhaps..........

UP

Aahh another ex reefkeeper. I too was afflicted with the reefkeeping bug. Really paid off bigtime when learning about growing the wholly herb aahh bra? Hell I already had my RO filter and my calcium reactor provided me my co2 bottle and selanoid controller. I was a SPS junky myself but we all started with fish and soft/stony corals right...hehehe

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Grassy... you did the full dealio, eh? Yes, the SPS are addicting, although I am a huge fan of tridacnids m'self. LPS, Sarcophytons and the like can be touchy to work with, especially if you let the Sarcos take over a tank (my first really good lesson on allelopathy ---> Yellow Sarcophyton meets purple mushroom corallimorphs ---> purple mushies lost the battle. :(

GSPs, the go-to standby, yeah?

But I'm not sure where you got that Udyana was the reefkeeper. If that's true, then Udyana and the rest of us should talk some fish.

You familiar with WetWebMedia at all?

M

mrbong73

UPDATE:
Here's some shots of the plants today. They are set to go into flower next week. My current batch in flower is going to 65-67 days this time.

I am seeing some tip burn as well as some tacoing on some of the leaves but all in all they're looking pretty good.
I'm hesitant to give them any teas or top dressing for a while.

M

mrbong73

Well I just harvest these plants and mixed the soil back into my inventory. I did a re charge of the mix and ended up with around 64 gallons of soil that will be ready to go in a couple of weeks.
Here is the list of items that went in.

Feed It
Fish Meal 3 cups
Fish Bone Meal 3 cups
Alfalfa Meal 4 cups
Soybean Meal 2 cups
Soft Rock Phosphate 3 cups

Fix It
Neem Seed Meal 2 cups
Crab Shell Meal 2 cups
Kelp Meal 2 cups

"Lime" and Calcium
Oyster Shell Powder 2 cups
Oyster Shell 2 cups
Gypsum 2 cups

Minerals
Azomite 3 cups
K Mag 2 cups
Glacial Rock Dust 10 cups
Epsom Salt 1 cup

I'll probably cut the 64 gallons with some more EWC, Compost, Coco, Peat and Pumice to make 90 or so gallons.

phenotyper

phenotyper

Nice MB, do you have any shots of the ladies late in flowering? They looked beautiful early on.

M

mrbong73

Nice MB, do you have any shots of the ladies late in flowering? They looked beautiful early on.

I somehow managed to F these ladies up pretty good right before flip. Overdose or toxicity or something. Got major clawing and tip burn. No chem nutes at all. Might have been too much K.
They turned out ok but yield took a major hit.

Top Bottom