Organic vs non organic nutes

• Thread starter The_word
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
The_word

The_word

Hi lovely people,

So I am 6 weeks from completing my 1st proper indoor grow. It has been a massive learning curve, I have learnt so much in such a short space of time and one of the things that confuses me is why would people use non organic nutes over organic? From my research the organic nutrients seem to be a no brainer. These are some of the main things i have learnt, please feel free to correct any if i am wrong, as i said i am on my 1st grow and am here to learn.

1) Organic nutrients don't cause salt build up on the root system so there is no need to water until run off. Everything is used up by the plant. From what I have read this can be detrimental to the plants and even kill them off entirely. This also has the benefit of not using as much water meaning you use less nutrients per feed.

2) The plants are far less likely to overdose on organic nutrients. If you fuck up and give the plants to much, they are much more forgiving.

3) the goal of an indoor grower is to recreate an ideal micro environment that recreates a plants natural habitat. A plant would i would think almost never in a natural life cycle encounter these forms. By using organic products you are giving them a food source that is more reflective of a natural environment. Like if you had a vitamin D deficiency, drinking a few fresh squeezed orange juices will do you more favours than taking a concentrated tablet. Your body knows better how process natural delivery systems (just realised how stoned I am and want an orange juice HAHAHAHA) anyway

3) you are going to be putting the end product into your body. Why would you not choose something natural and organic if it were an option. We have all scored a shit bag of bud that tastes all chemically and rank. Not pleasant.

I know some people go deep and mix their own organic fertiliser with like bat shit etc I just used biobizz - top max, grow, bloom, root juice, acti Vera and planted them in biobizz Light mix soil.
I haven't had a problem so far and the plants look like they are going to thank me for it lol.

If anyone can offer me any insight or tips/advice it is always welcome.

Anyway, I am going to get a juice, these are some of the latest pics. Peace ✌

Organic vs non organic nutes
Organic vs non organic nutes 2
Organic vs non organic nutes 3
Organic vs non organic nutes 4
G

Glomus

Those ladies are looking beautiful, those pistils are all swollen and ready to bring on that rez soon.
Now there is nothing wrong with crystalized synthetic nutrients but I think they work better for hydroponic and soilless media for when you are really wanting to dial your secondary nutes and minerals and such. Also, there is nothing poisonous about synthetic fertilizers, just concentrated in a lab to a soluble form that the plant can uptake. Organic fertilizers do have plenty of salts and sometimes heavy metals in them as well depending on what you are using and if your recycling your soil, some will argue that synthetics are cleaner then organics. The idea of indoor growing is to create an un naturally more than ideal environment to maximize yield and potency. I personally grow out doors organically and am a big fan of inoculates and organic soil amendments, getting those amendments broken down in the soil with the microbes is the key to organic soil cultivation. I never put synthetic nutes into an organic soil grow, kind of defeats the purpose. There are also different methods for organic hydroponics like live water cultures.

My organic soil amendments are basically, high phosphorous bat guano, crab meal, nitrogen pellets, green sand, dolomite and earth worm castings. Plus Inoculants.

Just a suggestion your plants look a wee bit stretched, it looks like possibly too many plants under the lights. I have done it many times getting greedy lol. But If you have the right amount of plants under the light your yields are better.

ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

I assume you're asking in good faith and not to start a religious argument. :D The plants are just taking up ions. They don't particularly care if the ions come from synthetic inputs or organic sources. I agree with some of your points. Over-feeding is probably more of a risk with synthetic, for example. Synthetic growers need to track some things organic growers don't have to focus on as much. Hydro growers need highly water soluble nutes. That means synthetic. Synthetic nutes in powdered form require less storage space. Organic inputs have a time lag between when they're added to a plant and when the elemental ions are available for uptake. Synthetic nutes are available to the plant immediately. Synthetic nutes, when purchased as bulk powdered salts, are inexpensive.

None of which is to say that I have a problem with organic growing. I think it's interesting and cool. People choose different grow styles for all sorts of reasons.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Hi lovely people,

So I am 6 weeks from completing my 1st proper indoor grow. It has been a massive learning curve, I have learnt so much in such a short space of time and one of the things that confuses me is why would people use non organic nutes over organic? From my research the organic nutrients seem to be a no brainer. These are some of the main things i have learnt, please feel free to correct any if i am wrong, as i said i am on my 1st grow and am here to learn.

1) Organic nutrients don't cause salt build up on the root system so there is no need to water until run off. Everything is used up by the plant. From what I have read this can be detrimental to the plants and even kill them off entirely. This also has the benefit of not using as much water meaning you use less nutrients per feed.

2) The plants are far less likely to overdose on organic nutrients. If you fuck up and give the plants to much, they are much more forgiving.

3) the goal of an indoor grower is to recreate an ideal micro environment that recreates a plants natural habitat. A plant would i would think almost never in a natural life cycle encounter these forms. By using organic products you are giving them a food source that is more reflective of a natural environment. Like if you had a vitamin D deficiency, drinking a few fresh squeezed orange juices will do you more favours than taking a concentrated tablet. Your body knows better how process natural delivery systems (just realised how stoned I am and want an orange juice HAHAHAHA) anyway

3) you are going to be putting the end product into your body. Why would you not choose something natural and organic if it were an option. We have all scored a shit bag of bud that tastes all chemically and rank. Not pleasant.

I know some people go deep and mix their own organic fertiliser with like bat shit etc I just used biobizz - top max, grow, bloom, root juice, acti Vera and planted them in biobizz Light mix soil.
I haven't had a problem so far and the plants look like they are going to thank me for it lol.

If anyone can offer me any insight or tips/advice it is always welcome.

Anyway, I am going to get a juice, these are some of the latest pics. Peace ✌

Salts based nutrients are usually derived from natural sources. For example ... a rock is inorganic, but a fossil organic because its derived from living organisms once upon a time. Synthetic nutes are already available in a use-able form. Organics usually take time to break down and become readily available. Salts based nutrients are easier for the beginning gardener but come with the downfall of excessive amounts cause problems just like you stated.

I can go on and on really ... but at the end of the day, they both have their place in gardening. I myself am an organic gardener. I prefer it, but it takes more skills to master it.

The_word

The_word

Those ladies are looking beautiful, those pistils are all swollen and ready to bring on that rez soon.
Now there is nothing wrong with crystalized synthetic nutrients but I think they work better for hydroponic and soilless media for when you are really wanting to dial your secondary nutes and minerals and such. Also, there is nothing poisonous about synthetic fertilizers, just concentrated in a lab to a soluble form that the plant can uptake. Organic fertilizers do have plenty of salts and sometimes heavy metals in them as well depending on what you are using and if your recycling your soil, some will argue that synthetics are cleaner then organics. The idea of indoor growing is to create an un naturally more than ideal environment to maximize yield and potency. I personally grow out doors organically and am a big fan of inoculates and organic soil amendments, getting those amendments broken down in the soil with the microbes is the key to organic soil cultivation. I never put synthetic nutes into an organic soil grow, kind of defeats the purpose. There are also different methods for organic hydroponics like live water cultures.

My organic soil amendments are basically, high phosphorous bat guano, crab meal, nitrogen pellets, green sand, dolomite and earth worm castings. Plus Inoculants.

Just a suggestion your plants look a wee bit stretched, it looks like possibly too many plants under the lights. I have done it many times getting greedy lol. But If you have the right amount of plants under the light your yields are better.
Thanks for the info! Regarding the stretch you are right, I fucked up the timing and they were in veg for like 6 weeks. I didn't know they would stretch so much in flower. They went from 55cm to 115. The bud look like they are going to be ridiculous. This is from today and it seems they have already grown by another 1/3. I have high hopes for them but don't want to jinx it hahahahaha

20220911 165550
20220911 163856
20220911 163906
The_word

The_word

The next grow I will only have 3, I have 4 atm one is a CBD lemon haze

The_word

The_word

Salts based nutrients are usually derived from natural sources. For example ... a rock is inorganic, but a fossil organic because its derived from living organisms once upon a time. Synthetic nutes are already available in a use-able form. Organics usually take time to break down and become readily available. Salts based nutrients are easier for the beginning gardener but come with the downfall of excessive amounts cause problems just like you stated.

I can go on and on really ... but at the end of the day, they both have their place in gardening. I myself am an organic gardener. I prefer it, but it takes more skills to master it.
Thanks as always 😎👍

M

MasterCookie

Sigh.. seems like a typical organic vs inorganic grow.. just us what works for you.. can't be simpler than that. 😅

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Organic. OR-gan-ic. Organ-ic?

If your plant food says "organic" on the bottle, ignore it because its marketing and a borderline lie.

Organic to me is when the soil feeds the plant naturally and I don't feed it anything except water. If you have to add nutes, it's not organic.
We got rid of all the extra junk we did not need to grow quality plants, nutes, pH up and down and all that jazz. Now, we amend the soil to a living condition and then plant, water and harvest. No nutes, no chemicals, no matter what source they came from.

If it is in a bottle, it is not organic because it had to be processed into that form. Organic is not lab processed, with VERY few exceptions.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I choose to stand across the street and look at the organic church from a safe distance… sipping on my bottle of cal mag.

wondering to myself… do most ppl these days not question marketing, corporate claims and the system?

See if they did maybe like nutrients we the ppl would realize we are not so different than one another after all.

M

MasterCookie

I choose to stand across the street and look at the organic church from a safe distance… sipping on my bottle of cal mag.

wondering to myself… do most ppl these days not question marketing, corporate claims and the system?

See if they did maybe like nutrients we the ppl would realize we are not so different than one another after all.
My organic factory.. they get paid with feed. I still have to question their nutrients production... they are a shady bunch 😎

M

MasterCookie

i love the waterfalls for aeration… that system is sooo well constructed… so you happen to run a trickle filter? Not that you need one but just curious
Trickle tower.. meh.. I designed a fludized sand bed filter that uses sea sand as a bio media.

8000gal/hr of water flows through this that with the cross-sectional area creates the ideal water velocity to keep the sand suspended and not compacted. The water flow from the bottom and up through the sand to instantly convert all ammonia to nitrates and also provide H+ ions.. ie acidification of the water.. this allows me to buffer with either potassium hydroxide or calcium hydroxide and here is how I got these minerals in for sweet weed growing!!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Trickle tower.. meh.. I designed a fludized sand bed filter that uses sea sand as a bio media.
View attachment 1296242

8000gal/hr of water flows through this that with the cross-sectional area creates the ideal water velocity to keep the sand suspended and not compacted. The water flow from the bottom and up through the sand to instantly convert all ammonia to nitrates and also provide H+ ions.. ie acidification of the water.. this allows me to buffer with either potassium hydroxide or calcium hydroxide and here is how I got these minerals in for sweet weed growing!!
very nice… think I’d spend my time all day everyday out there

Latest posts

Top Bottom