OUTDOOR DWC

• Thread starter HOOFAH
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chronicdreams

chronicdreams

noobie?? That really changes everything. I URGE you . Go simple first. There will be plenty of curveballs coming your way.

ttystikk

ttystikk

The point above about excess complexity is well taken. Further drawbacks to running an outdoor DWC system is the inability to control all other aspects of outdoor culitvation.

That said, I recall what Big Daddy Don Garlits used to say back in the day, "anything you can do to a small motor, you can do to a big one and get better results." The relevance here is that with good DWC, plants will do very well in otherwise good outdoor conditions. I'm not convinced it's too complicated on its face and while the nature of the problems differ from soil, they aren't worse, just less familiar.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
The point above about excess complexity is well taken. Further drawbacks to running an outdoor DWC system is the inability to control all other aspects of outdoor culitvation.

That said, I recall what Big Daddy Don Garlits used to say back in the day, "anything you can do to a small motor, you can do to a big one and get better results." The relevance here is that with good DWC, plants will do very well in otherwise good outdoor conditions. I'm not convinced it's too complicated on its face and while the nature of the problems differ from soil, they aren't worse, just less familiar.

I can't believe you just quoted big daddy don garlits. I've driven past his museum of drag racing more time then I can remember.

outwest

ttystikk

ttystikk

I can't believe you just quoted big daddy don garlits. I've driven past his museum of drag racing more time then I can remember.

outwest

Oh, hell yeah! I quote great minds, no matter where they come from. His opinion carries more weight with me than most- including most of congress- because he actually got his hands dirty doing the work. Where is that museum? I saw his Swamp Rat XXIII on display at the Smithsonian Museum of Science and Industry, right next to a steam locomotive. Fitting.

chronicdreams

chronicdreams

I agree it can be done. Sometimes people over complicate things without meaning to. If this is a new venture for him ( large outdoor ), that can be a major investment and undertaking. I was simply thinking of what I though best limited the risks that he would be taking. As he would have to be VERY well versed in DWC, outdoor growing AND how the two would have to adapt to each other. I would think organic, soil in the ground would give him the most assured path to a happy halloween. Certainly not the ONLY path, but one well defined for him at least. Outdoor is a LOOOONG season to piss away if something goes wrong. Shit breaks.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Sometimes a little complexity yields dividends that make it worthwhile. Case in point; I built an RDWC years ago, and ran it with disappointing results. More recently, I went to coco, and those were better, but small.

Now, I have a hybrid system, where I topfeed the RDWC water through a coco/hydroton mix to 50% runoff or so, which rinses some of the bennies I've inoculated the coco with into the RDWC water. This continually cleanses the water and prevents nasties from gaining a foothold. Adding an airstone caused splash up into the cavity between the two and has resulted in explosive root growth, which reaches down into the water.

In this case, the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts and the results are almost creepy; up to 3" of growth daily so far...

F

fuzzy

My dad raced Don in Alb. New Mexico,but my dad was on a motorcycle and don was in a car.My dad used to race pro for Harley and they were putting on an exebition at a fair.yall brought up don so i thought id just throw that out there,lol.been medicating on the SD.peace,fuzzy

ttystikk

ttystikk

My dad raced Don in Alb. New Mexico,but my dad was on a motorcycle and don was in a car.My dad used to race pro for Harley and they were putting on an exebition at a fair.yall brought up don so i thought id just throw that out there,lol.been medicating on the SD.peace,fuzzy

That is soooo cool- you wouldn't by any chance have footage of that exhibition race, would you?

F

fuzzy

Lol,i wish!It was in 1954 Denver Colo.I just called him.He was suppose to win 2500$s for beating him(my dad was 15)but got a trophy instead because it was car against cycle.Dad said he did 102-103 and don did 120.Dad got him on the line he said while don was spinning.Pretty cool,eh?!!!Dad started pro for Harley the same year.Peace,fuzzy sorry for off topic stuff

Top Bottom