Outdoor Gardeners / Growers. Let's Talk-Show Gardens-Soil-Methods-Pests-Critters-Gardening Kind Of Stuff!

• Thread starter SnappyJack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Made a raised bed out of pine tree droppings from a tree on the property (love doing that) going to put bush beans and maybe some zucchini it. There’s a pic of my wife’s little garden project (every year its an experiment) hahaha! The back yard garden is really not getting the love this year ( for veggies at least). The weed is doing well hahaha! Oh and got two yards of “mid grade soil” for the rest of my smart pots in the back and anything else planter or garden needs : )
6BC5217A 49EC 4A7D B65E 3822284D39DE
87D0C729 B296 4594 8D3F D05E69626D81
76FB9A54 C10B 43C3 B256 08115DA1FB84
D33915E6 E6D7 441A 8C90 0032888D6930
A3837B8D EAEF 4768 9688 651A07867B6D

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Realized while taking some pics of the garden I dont have anything to put in the new bed!! just put 24 bush beans in the trays and on a heat mat.
07D6EEE8 D950 46EE 9ECD 1FCAB89F0E57

Tumbleweed375

Tumbleweed375

First attempt at carrots indoors. I should have spaced them properly, but these 2 look awfully friendly with each other. I have a feeling they will be twisted when i pull them.

I probably shouldnt have used my heavy perlite mix, but I did. They won't be the prettiest carrots, but the little taster i pulled was SWEET.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
First attempt at carrots indoors. I should have spaced them properly, but these 2 look awfully friendly with each other. I have a feeling they will be twisted when i pull them.

View attachment 2157317
View attachment 2157319

I probably shouldnt have used my heavy perlite mix, but I did. They won't be the prettiest carrots, but the little taster i pulled was SWEET.
View attachment 2157320
Hell yeah!

View attachment 2157317
View attachment 2157319

View attachment 2157320
Why are you questioning the use of the heavy perlite soil? I have my awesome “growers mix” soil and I opted out of adding any perlite (I dont know why I just did) to my tomatoes. I’m wondering if a perlite added to the soil might make it a little easier for the carrots to do carrot things?🤷🏼‍♂️ Im also wondering if I should of added it to my tomatoes🤷🏼‍♂️

Tumbleweed375

Tumbleweed375

Hell yeah!

Why are you questioning the use of the heavy perlite soil? I have my awesome “growers mix” soil and I opted out of adding any perlite (I dont know why I just did) to my tomatoes. I’m wondering if a perlite added to the soil might make it a little easier for the carrots to do carrot things?🤷🏼‍♂️ Im also wondering if I should of added it to my tomatoes🤷🏼‍♂️
That makes sense! I add a good bit of perlite... for drainage but also to make that "black gold" go a bit farther. I mix my soil in a big tub, so i just pulled a 1g bucket full from what was left over.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, just thought maybe all the "rocks" would get in the way of growing market quality carrots. Lol I'm thinking the straight and blemish free carrots you find in the supermarket are not what i'm gonna grow.

Just a guess though. We will see when i pull them. The perlite might actually help 🤷‍♂️

Newbgrower1

Newbgrower1

Green beans and cucumbers are looking good.
3E8BEFF6 F4A8 4955 B03C 355CBBFDB88D
A84150D8 2913 4927 90EF A8A376F1B794
I mixed up the garden soil with 5 bags I just bought and one bag of black crow manure .5-.5-.5 I’ve never used this combo of soil before so fingers crossed. And that mix is only for the vegetables. I’ll be using ff hf and earthworm castings for the pot plants. I forgot to add the earthworm castings and diatomaceous earth so I’ll add those this week. If the weather is looking warm next week I may throw in a green bean plant or two to see how they do in the colder temps. They need a transplant but would rather just throw them in the garden.I’ve been bringing them in and out every day.I tried to bring the cucumbers outside for some sun but I think I burnt them a little. I’ll start bringing them out next week. All my babies I started in the tent are looking great.
AB764DAE 41B5 45A5 8B1E 7162A3CBC872
53298CDD 80A3 4F19 87AD 56E205DE0DFA
I also started 4 merigolds to add to the garden as a pest deterrent. I’ll also be adding mint to the perimeter of the garden as well.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Green beans and cucumbers are looking good. View attachment 2157967View attachment 2157968I mixed up the garden soil with 5 bags I just bought and one bag of black crow manure .5-.5-.5 I’ve never used this combo of soil before so fingers crossed. And that mix is only for the vegetables. I’ll be using ff hf and earthworm castings for the pot plants. I forgot to add the earthworm castings and diatomaceous earth so I’ll add those this week. If the weather is looking warm next week I may throw in a green bean plant or two to see how they do in the colder temps. They need a transplant but would rather just throw them in the garden.I’ve been bringing them in and out every day.I tried to bring the cucumbers outside for some sun but I think I burnt them a little. I’ll start bringing them out next week. All my babies I started in the tent are looking great. View attachment 2157969View attachment 2157970I also started 4 merigolds to add to the garden as a pest deterrent. I’ll also be adding mint to the perimeter of the garden as well.
Those carrots look good! My littlest little just brought some carrot seeds home, so it looks like we are doing some of those in the new planter lol!

Tent is looking awesome!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Thanks bear.
Your welcome.
Years ago I double dug my garden to grow carrots and the deer came by one night and ate them all!
Hunters around here use it as bait, so they've gotten a taste for them.
Needless to say, I never tried again.
I put a fence up around my yard/Garden and have a motion sensor sprinkler! That keeps the deer somewhat in line, they havent tried coming within the perimeter. The fence keeps the cats and dogs out. And thats why im growing the reapers! : ) I want to make my own perimeter spray that isn’t chemical from lowes and the natural stuff is waaay to expensive. I guess at this point its just for fun and to see if itll work, because the fence and sprinkler work for sure : )

cpurola

cpurola

Your welcome.

I put a fence up around my yard/Garden and have a motion sensor sprinkler! That keeps the deer somewhat in line, they havent tried coming within the perimeter. The fence keeps the cats and dogs out. And thats why im growing the reapers! : ) I want to make my own perimeter spray that isn’t chemical from lowes and the natural stuff is waaay to expensive. I guess at this point its just for fun and to see if itll work, because the fence and sprinkler work for sure : )
Good idea! They are relatively easy to grow, but I don't have a taste for hot stuff.
I did find an old spice container of chili seasoning (expired), and sprinkeled that around my plants. Unfortunately it rained shortly after and I don't know if it repelled anything.

Love the sprinkler idea and will talk to my engineer (hubby) about it.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
IMG 6128
IMG 6129
IMG 6130
IMG 6131
Got some more reapers joining the party! The beans are coming up also : ) I tried my hand at multiple seeds in a single pot. I’m going to try get all them out and planted in their own pots once they get to that stage.

Z

Zab

Your welcome.

I got a push notice earlier on my phone for one of those handy tips etc, so dont know if it is viable, but it basically said to put chunks of bar soap around your perimeter to ward away animals and pests, they showed a pic of irish spring☘️

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I got a push notice earlier on my phone for one of those handy tips etc, so dont know if it is viable, but it basically said to put chunks of bar soap around your perimeter to ward away animals and pests, they showed a pic of irish spring☘️
I’ve always heard that about under the hood of the truck to keep the mice from chewing the wires. I have had people tell me the mice made nests out of it and still chewed the wires on there vehicles!😂🤷🏼‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: Zab
Top Bottom