outdoor greenhouse grow. PLEASE HELP

• Thread starter wiggles
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
wiggles

wiggles

heloo everyone interested, i am sick and tierd of puting in alot of effort into growing bud and geting little rewards. i am now seriously thinking about polly tunles or single plants with transparent tents around them, spreading these plants out over the area of woodland that i grow in. this is the only way that i can actualy crop bud that looks like it does on the tin. i am spending alot of money on good seed like industrial plant and moby dick and i want to make sure they flower fully and give me a nice load of crystaly dense bud instead of leafy shit that looses all its amazing looks when it dries.
i need advise on
STRAINS TO AND NOT TO BOTHER BUYING
METHODS OF MAKING POLLY TUNELS
OTHER OPTIONS BESIDES POLLY TUNELS
METHODS OF DRYING OUTSIDE???
YOUR GENERAL ADVISE

thanks a tone for any advise given and please for the love of christ help me to make next years green house grow in the woods the a goodun

i live in the uk and have a grow spot that is south faceing, mainly planted with protected oak or small evergreens that dont get choped that are surounded by bracon that is easy to clear, so far i have utalised about 5 meters of ground in this area because the most ive grown there at once is about 25 plants. i want to try a 200 plant grow or more with abit of advise and know how from any of you willing to help me out with ideas. i will be buying my seeds for this gorw soon and starting up in april next year...

THANKX

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

So did you start recently? Did you get the info you needed from another website? If you still need help with anything just post it here, I'll respond.

wiggles

wiggles

So did you start recently? Did you get the info you needed from another website? If you still need help with anything just post it here, I'll respond.
hey dude, i still need help :)

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Isn't it very late to start growing outdoors or is this for the upcoming spring?? After re-reading your post I think one major factor for your buds not looking good is drying outdoors, thats horrible and people do that in 3rd world countries with 100's of lbs. for making hash.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Just ask me what you need help with and I'll do my best to answer them.

wiggles

wiggles

Just ask me what you need help with and I'll do my best to answer them.
hello, i have just orderd some hollands hope, AMS and moby dick. all feminised. it is curently snowing so i am holding of until mid april, as was planned anyway. if you want to check out BBC weather webiste you can see what im working with. i decided to buy a fold away greenhouse, the one you start tomatos of in, thinking this would start the seedlings of nicely. im woundering what i should use nutrient wise. alot of manure and possible tomato nutrients.

the last time i grew the harvest was dried inside and cured for a long time. i found a remaining bud in an air tight jar the other day and the smell was incredible. il cross the drying bridge when i come to it, for now i need your help to get these plants good stems and healthy green leaves. i have chosen each strain on its reputation and the purple buds they form when they mature. i have always found this to be a good sign for growing in cold climates.

mid summer should be very hot, and september to november wont matter, seems like the climate has shifted anyway, hense the snow in march. any ideas on soil mixes, like more sand or clay, and the best ways to keep the plants well fed. im thinking allot of perlite so i can keep water available for new roots.

as long as i can make the plants reach a good structure with adequate foliage and a good substrate for fast healthy growth, i think its all easy from there. im wondering how to trim the plants, should i take some lower foliage of to avoid rot? and should i focus trimming on the side of the plants that don't get much light?

should i start the seeds indoors or does that make them week, baring in mind the seedlings would only be able to stay indoors for a few days. i dont want to stress them so im thinking just start them of in the greenhouse. what do you think?

does manure need time in the soil to release or mix? or can i just put it in a few days before planting?

cheers for any help im looking for a good summer of growing

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

If I had a greenhouse I would start the seeds in there. I don't know what kind of soil you have locally, but I like to use Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Sunshine #4 at 50/50 mixture. I don't use manure, your better off getting a good potting mix and amending it with pure EWC (earthworm castings) then for nutes use a grow formula from your local hydro store, like PBP or FF Grow Big.

You could also make a super soil so you only have to use plain water throughout most of the grow, just Google 'Subcools supersoil' to find the recipe. Also, you could use ACT's, which are Aerated Compost Teas, they work great for outdoors, just find a simple recipe on this website.

I don't trim anything when outdoors, they should get plenty of sunlight if you plant them in a good spot, just let them grow natural. There is an outdoor section on this site, you should read some peoples grows so you can get a good idea of what to use. Hope that helped, keep it simple and good luck.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Oh yeah, you could dry outside, but keep it in the greenhouse and tarp it so its light proof. Keep the RH around 65% and they should be dry within 10 days.

wiggles

wiggles

so can i buy this soil recipe online, along with all the other stuff you mentioned? and what does the "RH" stand for? this is the greenhouse i baught, its fold away and bigger than it looks, i wont need it for the entire grow cycle but it will do a good job for a while.

hypothetically speaking, say i didn't have the chance to get the soil recipe or the nutrients you recommend, what would you do? the soil il be useing, besides the standard grow bag soil you pic up from most garden centers, will be sandy with a bit of clay, altho i have grown in the same spot for the past 4 years so the ground is very soft and full of perlite and i often used bat gwano. so its a prety even split between good soil and the naturaly occurring stuf. would you recomend any prep for the soil? i have heard banana skins in the soil are really effective?

so i can dry in the greenhouse in the link? please have a look at it so you can understand what im working with

any thoughts on sealing in as much warmth, i was thinking about keeping the seedlings in a propagator to be safe.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What are the low temps, wiggles? I've found that cannabis can take a lot, but it does stall growth for a bit. However, I've literally let mine be snowed on after germination and they grew up to be fine ladies. It's the sun and overall humidity that's really going to determine how your crop fares, later on down the year.

If you can grow plants like tomatoes and corn in that soil, the cannabis should be fine. I find it does like lots of N, but that is easily provided via the manures and guanos. I say start adding some now and let it 'cook' (decompose a bit).

The issue is really keeping the roots warm, cannabis is not so picky like, say, peppers are, with regard to overall temps. I have used a heating pad, set them on top of a pile of bricks surrounded by some other (potted) plants to help block the wind, and one of my favorites for large batches of seeds, Electric Blanket Sandwich. An electric blanket is sandwiched in plastic and sealed up with packing tape to make it as waterproof as possible. Not to avoid electric shock as much as prevent water getting in and making the blanket moldy. It is very effective used in a protected area.

wiggles

wiggles

What are the low temps, wiggles? I've found that cannabis can take a lot, but it does stall growth for a bit. However, I've literally let mine be snowed on after germination and they grew up to be fine ladies. It's the sun and overall humidity that's really going to determine how your crop fares, later on down the year.

If you can grow plants like tomatoes and corn in that soil, the cannabis should be fine. I find it does like lots of N, but that is easily provided via the manures and guanos. I say start adding some now and let it 'cook' (decompose a bit).

The issue is really keeping the roots warm, cannabis is not so picky like, say, peppers are, with regard to overall temps. I have used a heating pad, set them on top of a pile of bricks surrounded by some other (potted) plants to help block the wind, and one of my favorites for large batches of seeds, Electric Blanket Sandwich. An electric blanket is sandwiched in plastic and sealed up with packing tape to make it as waterproof as possible. Not to avoid electric shock as much as prevent water getting in and making the blanket moldy. It is very effective used in a protected area.
this is a link for the climate in the uk where i live

http://resources.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/weather/average.htm

i don't want to act like i expect you to research my problems in your own time, but i also don't want to talk about my climate when i have no idea what im talking about. it the moment the weather is very concerning, my town has just had a foot of snow, and that is still melting so im not thinking about planting till the middle of next week. im no stranger to growing in the cold, i have also grown plants through the midle of snow and frost, and while it does stunt growth the plants are still healthy by the end. i have grown black currents in between the plants to ad some variety and "winberry" bushes, like english blurberrys, grow naturally around them. i have grown AMS and blueberry and other strains in my garden and they all seem to enjoy the soil and the nutrition i provide, i am thinking of adding banan skins to the soil for extra nutrients.
you must understand i am doing all of this up in a forestry about 2 miles from where i live, so unless i bought some batter pack or something this heat pad will not work, i do have heat pads as i used to have a pet lizard.
i was wondering if you have any clever tips you may have used or heard of, like taking a thermus of boiling water and opening it inside the grow tent and letting the steam warm the plants? this is just something i came up with now so i have no idea if it would work but if you have ever heard of anything remotely like this let me know. im thinking that keepin the roots warm is most important to, so maybe some grow bags, wrapped in some really good insulation, ontop of some wooden pallet so i eliminate the contact with the ground all together. the tent im growing in is this thick woven fiber laminated in thick transparent plastick, with a metal frame. so im sure that will provide a lot of warmth on its own.
is there any plant i could buy that is slightly more fussy than a cannabis plant that would let me know if conditions weren't quite right, so it would show signs of illness before that cannabis plants? im planning on growing some peppers and tomatos in with the plants, maybe even some pees to because i hear cannabis plants get something from them.

the strains i have are

early durban

moby dick/ greenhouse seeds

AMS

last year the moby dick seedlings just died, so im going to allot of effort to make sure that doesn't happen again.
the AMS has always been a great plant for me and the early durban looks like a real good grower.

i think im gonna set up mid next week weather permitting, so il get some pictures of the setup and keep my fingers crossed, thanks for taking the time to give some helpful advise its always appreciated.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Rocks surrounding the area, mulch over the roots--conserve heat, conserve water. It's important for you to be familiar with the climate, both in terms of averages and extremes. I've used piled rocks at the base of a plant to protect it from a hard freeze. Of course, rocks are not exactly hard to come by on our property! (Just ask my husband about it.)

Out here (California, east of Sacramento) I use the Sunset West Garden Book as the basis for decision-making. They've done me the favor of adjusting planting zones according not to just coldest temps/average cold temps, but high temps and rainfall as well.

Make use of thermal mass and the sun. Having the plants enclosed will help, but you must account for air flow and the high humidity which often results, which can undo some of that 'work'. Perhaps surrounded instead of just enclosed would be more prudent, allowing best air flow, while trapping solar thermal energy would be the best route for you in this instance.

You can throw a lot of things on the ground to help feed the plants, but unless stuff decomposes quickly in the area it may not be of much help until the following season. In that case, I'll suggest going with stuff that's green and will decompose more quickly along with good mulching (don't take it up against the base of the stalk, if local conditions are humid especially, it could likely invite problems).

Pee is a fantastic fertilizer, and when used properly diluted, especially in conjunction with wood ashes, outperforms chemical salt-based fertilizers.
Pee is pretty portable... and I fucking LOVE a good alliteration!

fluffygrrrl

fluffygrrrl

If you really want to have good plants and you are paying good money for these seeds, I'd start them inside, you have a much better chance on success. You don't need much room, and you can also start veggie plants with them. No need to buy fancy lights, flourescent lights will do.

I do this every year, grow them for a few months, and they grow to 8 to 12 feet by end of summer, depending on variety. I am a medjcal grower, so don't expect that much, as I see you can't tend to them like I do., how are you planning on watering?

You can't plant seeds in manure or heavy fertilizer, as it would burn seedlings. It sounds like it is too cold there to even start them in the little coldframe you have , as seedlings need a certain temp. I use a soil heating pad and put it under the seedling tray filled with watered in promix. I soak the seeds overnight, then place in seedling tray, place over over it. You can also place it on top of fridge, as that gives off a little warmth. Seedlings should sprout next day or 2. Then take off tray. Place under flourescent light. You want them to be healthy seedlings if you want to get some good growth going. I would put time release fertilizer in when you plant, and then amend the soil with your other manures & additives, also place a ring of chicken wire around it so deer dont eat it.

I had snow last week, and am in zone 5, you need to look at your last frost date to put your plants out. I start putting the seedlings and clones out to harden them off a few hours each day, extending the time to get them used to it. I usually get them planted in the ground at the end of May, by June 1st. They will grow better in the ground than in a pot, as you will have to water a lot more with potted plants. make sure you use the water crystals that hold water if you can't tend to it daily. (also available in diapers if you have kids) And also wondering if you have enough sun? You need at minimum 6 hours, maybe cut some trees down or find another spot.

When ready to plant, take seedlings out of pot, wrap the roots in damp paper towel and pack them in large plastic bag, put in your backpack for easy transport

wiggles

wiggles

Rocks surrounding the area, mulch over the roots--conserve heat, conserve water. It's important for you to be familiar with the climate, both in terms of averages and extremes. I've used piled rocks at the base of a plant to protect it from a hard freeze. Of course, rocks are not exactly hard to come by on our property! (Just ask my husband about it.)

Out here (California, east of Sacramento) I use the Sunset West Garden Book as the basis for decision-making. They've done me the favor of adjusting planting zones according not to just coldest temps/average cold temps, but high temps and rainfall as well.

Make use of thermal mass and the sun. Having the plants enclosed will help, but you must account for air flow and the high humidity which often results, which can undo some of that 'work'. Perhaps surrounded instead of just enclosed would be more prudent, allowing best air flow, while trapping solar thermal energy would be the best route for you in this instance.

You can throw a lot of things on the ground to help feed the plants, but unless stuff decomposes quickly in the area it may not be of much help until the following season. In that case, I'll suggest going with stuff that's green and will decompose more quickly along with good mulching (don't take it up against the base of the stalk, if local conditions are humid especially, it could likely invite problems).

Pee is a fantastic fertilizer, and when used properly diluted, especially in conjunction with wood ashes, outperforms chemical salt-based fertilizers.
Pee is pretty portable... and I fucking LOVE a good alliteration!

yeah ive used alot of rocks in my garden, i even spent a day pushing this tractor tier up to my spot so i could have my nicest plant growing out of it, and that helped warm the plant during the day i think. i put some black polothain over the ground where the plants grow so it seals in some of the warmth from the sun.

i don't know that i would get round to using the pee idea :) i appreciate that these methods work but it looks weird enough carrying a back pac full of water! im trying to get the most natural, not easy, but doable method of outdoor growing. i think that a propogater in my grow tent will do the job for now, after that its childs ply, just tending to the soil and watering everyday. im very fond of tomato nutes and gwano so i think il stick with that for now, who knows i may be pissing on my ladies if they play their cards right! does ash work good on its own?

wiggles

wiggles

If you really want to have good plants and you are paying good money for these seeds, I'd start them inside, you have a much better chance on success. You don't need much room, and you can also start veggie plants with them. No need to buy fancy lights, flourescent lights will do.

I do this every year, grow them for a few months, and they grow to 8 to 12 feet by end of summer, depending on variety. I am a medjcal grower, so don't expect that much, as I see you can't tend to them like I do., how are you planning on watering?

You can't plant seeds in manure or heavy fertilizer, as it would burn seedlings. It sounds like it is too cold there to even start them in the little coldframe you have , as seedlings need a certain temp. I use a soil heating pad and put it under the seedling tray filled with watered in promix. I soak the seeds overnight, then place in seedling tray, place over over it. You can also place it on top of fridge, as that gives off a little warmth. Seedlings should sprout next day or 2. Then take off tray. Place under flourescent light. You want them to be healthy seedlings if you want to get some good growth going. I would put time release fertilizer in when you plant, and then amend the soil with your other manures & additives, also place a ring of chicken wire around it so deer dont eat it.

I had snow last week, and am in zone 5, you need to look at your last frost date to put your plants out. I start putting the seedlings and clones out to harden them off a few hours each day, extending the time to get them used to it. I usually get them planted in the ground at the end of May, by June 1st. They will grow better in the ground than in a pot, as you will have to water a lot more with potted plants. make sure you use the water crystals that hold water if you can't tend to it daily. (also available in diapers if you have kids) And also wondering if you have enough sun? You need at minimum 6 hours, maybe cut some trees down or find another spot.

When ready to plant, take seedlings out of pot, wrap the roots in damp paper towel and pack them in large plastic bag, put in your backpack for easy transport

well i think the one thing to bear in mind is that i cannot use any lights or anything of that nature. im 20 and in university, im on Easter break for three weeks so im home with my family. my house is surrounded by woodland and i have a very good spot, you can check it out if you get a spare minute, it is south faceing so it gets maximum light, about 9 hours a day now, and nothing but small pine trees that don't block any light. the soil is very soft and full of broken up rock, so its almost sandy with decomposing bracon going through it. plus allot of soil i have put there from grow bags.

i am concerned because i am planting up next week and then the week after i will be gone for 3 weeks, i have someone who can water for me but i dont think they have as much understanding as me, i cant hold out till may or the plants wont grow enough, what do you think?

there could be a chance that a friend would let me start of the seed indoors for a month but im not saying thats an option, id have to ask very nicely.

im not sure what to do but i know i need to get it al sorted before i go ahead and germinate. i think the grow tent i have will be good for the seedlings one they get a good size but it seems to riscky to put them out strait away.

bevin

bevin

Polly tunnels are supper easy. 3/4 " pvc works great along with 6mill clear plastic from Home depot or if you have the money some garden shops sell the good plastic. I use a 16'x10' hoop house, its bassically a giant polly tunnel it works great for me during the summer months

wiggles

wiggles

Polly tunnels are supper easy. 3/4 " pvc works great along with 6mill clear plastic from Home depot or if you have the money some garden shops sell the good plastic. I use a 16'x10' hoop house, its bassically a giant polly tunnel it works great for me during the summer months

as awesome as that sounds i think i would have to wait until i owned some land, witch i do but its tended to by my family who don't share as much interest for growing certain plants. are you from the uk? i would love to give a polly tunnel a go, i bet they trap alot of heat

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
yeah ive used alot of rocks in my garden, i even spent a day pushing this tractor tier up to my spot so i could have my nicest plant growing out of it, and that helped warm the plant during the day i think. i put some black polothain over the ground where the plants grow so it seals in some of the warmth from the sun.

i don't know that i would get round to using the pee idea :) i appreciate that these methods work but it looks weird enough carrying a back pac full of water! im trying to get the most natural, not easy, but doable method of outdoor growing. i think that a propogater in my grow tent will do the job for now, after that its childs ply, just tending to the soil and watering everyday. im very fond of tomato nutes and gwano so i think il stick with that for now, who knows i may be pissing on my ladies if they play their cards right! does ash work good on its own?
Yes, but it's highly alkaline and a very little goes a long way, so some care must be taken. It adds a good bit of P to the urine fertilization regimen, and I now understand why it wouldn't work well for you here, you need something a little more... long lasting, more... dooky. Guano! And you're already waaay ahead of me there.
well i think the one thing to bear in mind is that i cannot use any lights or anything of that nature. im 20 and in university, im on Easter break for three weeks so im home with my family. my house is surrounded by woodland and i have a very good spot, you can check it out if you get a spare minute, it is south faceing so it gets maximum light, about 9 hours a day now, and nothing but small pine trees that don't block any light. the soil is very soft and full of broken up rock, so its almost sandy with decomposing bracon going through it. plus allot of soil i have put there from grow bags.

i am concerned because i am planting up next week and then the week after i will be gone for 3 weeks, i have someone who can water for me but i dont think they have as much understanding as me, i cant hold out till may or the plants wont grow enough, what do you think?

there could be a chance that a friend would let me start of the seed indoors for a month but im not saying thats an option, id have to ask very nicely.

im not sure what to do but i know i need to get it al sorted before i go ahead and germinate. i think the grow tent i have will be good for the seedlings one they get a good size but it seems to riscky to put them out strait away.
First and last frost dates, do you know them? I've started SEEDS as late as July 30 (34*N, last frost May 5, first frost sometime in November) and gotten a very decent harvest from them. It's good to get an early start, but as I think I mentioned, if it's too cool the plant just stalls, which, to my mind, is tantamount to waiting to start it.

Have that idea in the back of your head should this not work out, that you may very well be able to start later with no problems, the issue will be come finishing time.

wiggles

wiggles

Yes, but it's highly alkaline and a very little goes a long way, so some care must be taken. It adds a good bit of P to the urine fertilization regimen, and I now understand why it wouldn't work well for you here, you need something a little more... long lasting, more... dooky. Guano! And you're already waaay ahead of me there.

First and last frost dates, do you know them? I've started SEEDS as late as July 30 (34*N, last frost May 5, first frost sometime in November) and gotten a very decent harvest from them. It's good to get an early start, but as I think I mentioned, if it's too cool the plant just stalls, which, to my mind, is tantamount to waiting to start it.

Have that idea in the back of your head should this not work out, that you may very well be able to start later with no problems, the issue will be come finishing time.
last frosts in spring-early may-mid may
first frosts in autumn-early october-mid october.

now i have no idea how reliable this is because this time last year the entire country, including Scotland, was in shorts and t shirts enjoying the hottest weather for decades, and now im moving a foot of snow of the drive way. so i really don't know how accurate these dates are but im sure by the time the summer comes to an end the weather will be normal, if not warmer than usual due to this fucked up climate.

im sure the reason my plants only reach a sertain level of maturity is due to the abrupt drop in temerature and as much as i tell myself to wait a few more weeks the plant is just suspended, unable to grow any more. this is one of the reasons i started this thread, i have grown alot of really impressive plants, suprized myself, but i want to know if there is any way to create conditions where the plant wont get stunted by the cold. if there is a way to do this i would be so happy and i would give it my best shot.

as for the starting late, i think we need to understand that my country is nothing like yours as fare as climate goes, if the plants don't get out early they don't do much besides produce leaves. the last plants i started late were cared fore and fed and they produced nothing.
im going to try and find somewhere to start them inside and if i can't i will have to go ahead and start them outside soon.

options for seedlings

if i can start them indoors i will be going back to uni for a month before i break up for summer, so the plants will grow nicely and get a good size, this is obviously the ideal option

if i have to start them outdoors i will be gambling on healthy growth and a good harvest.

as the options stand its all going to rest on how they start their life, but if i can get them indoors to start with this should be a good summer of growing :)
if i can get the plants indoors i will buy a nice big pot of bat gwano to celibrate!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You're not kidding about not being so sure about the weather! Yesterday was in the mid-70s Fahrenheit, cloudy and humid. In the northern end of Central California at the end of MARCH. Now, you've gotta remember, March is typically our worst winter month. Then we were awakened around 1am by thunder and one hell of a lightening show (when storms hit the Sierra range and are forced up the gentle slope of the western scarp, they have lots of time to build lots of power, wind, moisture and electricity). Still gonna be in the low 70s today, during a time when I've regularly had snow on the ground.

I SO want to put everything out, at least in the greenhouse, but typically I must expect freezing weather, lots of rain, etc. Now I'm all upside down.

Let's raise a glass to a good year and a better harvest.

Latest posts

Top Bottom