outdoor greenhouse grow. PLEASE HELP

• Thread starter wiggles
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Amber

Amber

You're not kidding about not being so sure about the weather! Yesterday was in the mid-70s Fahrenheit, cloudy and humid. In the northern end of Central California at the end of MARCH. Now, you've gotta remember, March is typically our worst winter month. Then we were awakened around 1am by thunder and one hell of a lightening show (when storms hit the Sierra range and are forced up the gentle slope of the western scarp, they have lots of time to build lots of power, wind, moisture and electricity). Still gonna be in the low 70s today, during a time when I've regularly had snow on the ground.

I SO want to put everything out, at least in the greenhouse, but typically I must expect freezing weather, lots of rain, etc. Now I'm all upside down.

Let's raise a glass to a good year and a better harvest.
Weather has been crazy. That lightning was awesome. I've been running around like a mad women plants in plants out. I almost killed one of my bananas the other day though so I am kicking myself for trying to rush.

Cheers!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Weather has been crazy. That lightning was awesome. I've been running around like a mad women plants in plants out. I almost killed one of my bananas the other day though so I am kicking myself for trying to rush.

Cheers!
You're growing BANANAS?! This gal loves bananas. Especially the little fat burrito ones that you have to fry up in butter.. ohmygod. And yeah, crazy weather, but the worst was when I lived up on South Lake Tahoe. Cloud formations and screwiness the likes of which I'd never experienced before. And the pine pollen! So much pine pollen that when it rained it looked as though someone had spilled a whole bunch of yellow paint on the roads all over town. Very pretty color yellow. Now I'm more used to it, though it's a pain the way it covers EVERYTHING, because during the warm months I keep the house open day and night, which lets a LOT of pollen through.

You can call me Sneezy or Weepy when everything starts blooming.

wiggles

wiggles

You're growing BANANAS?! This gal loves bananas. Especially the little fat burrito ones that you have to fry up in butter.. ohmygod. And yeah, crazy weather, but the worst was when I lived up on South Lake Tahoe. Cloud formations and screwiness the likes of which I'd never experienced before. And the pine pollen! So much pine pollen that when it rained it looked as though someone had spilled a whole bunch of yellow paint on the roads all over town. Very pretty color yellow. Now I'm more used to it, though it's a pain the way it covers EVERYTHING, because during the warm months I keep the house open day and night, which lets a LOT of pollen through.

You can call me Sneezy or Weepy when everything starts blooming.
fuck man, cali sounds like one big dream. gotta get over there away from these grey clouds

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If it's gray clouds you don't like, then stay away from southern California during the months of March/April through July. A heavy marine layer typically develops and often remains ALL DAY LONG over the entire L.A. basin and it's called June Gloom. Gloom is right! Where I am now, east of the state capitol of Sacramento, we found the perfect elevation that keep us above the fog and below the snow. We get snow, but it never stays more than a few days and is never more than a couple of feet.

The Central Valley also gets what is called tule fog--an incredibly thick, dense, heavy fog that ALWAYS causes accidents on the long, arrow-straight highways through the delta, most often head-on collisions. In fact, Highway 12 is called the Highway of Death because of all the head-on collisions that occur on it. I've driven in fog so heavy that I had to open the window, put my head out and drive SLOWER than walking pace. It's actually worse to pull over because someone may very well plow right into you.

I'm tripping out that I was easily able to find Wikis on both June gloom and tule fog. Whoa.+

As spring and summer approach all the motorcyclists will be out, too, and so will the stories about the accidents, many with fatalities, caused when the rider (and this is a classic) 'failed to negotiate the curve.'

No working on the outside gardens today, and my special someone has to hit some areas really hard with the weed flamer.

wiggles

wiggles

If it's gray clouds you don't like, then stay away from southern California during the months of March/April through July. A heavy marine layer typically develops and often remains ALL DAY LONG over the entire L.A. basin and it's called June Gloom. Gloom is right! Where I am now, east of the state capitol of Sacramento, we found the perfect elevation that keep us above the fog and below the snow. We get snow, but it never stays more than a few days and is never more than a couple of feet.

The Central Valley also gets what is called tule fog--an incredibly thick, dense, heavy fog that ALWAYS causes accidents on the long, arrow-straight highways through the delta, most often head-on collisions. In fact, Highway 12 is called the Highway of Death because of all the head-on collisions that occur on it. I've driven in fog so heavy that I had to open the window, put my head out and drive SLOWER than walking pace. It's actually worse to pull over because someone may very well plow right into you.

I'm tripping out that I was easily able to find Wikis on both June gloom and tule fog. Whoa.+

As spring and summer approach all the motorcyclists will be out, too, and so will the stories about the accidents, many with fatalities, caused when the rider (and this is a classic) 'failed to negotiate the curve.'

No working on the outside gardens today, and my special someone has to hit some areas really hard with the weed flamer.
damn sounds like you guys are living in lord of the rings! think im gonna get two birds stoned at once and put out a nice big roll of plastic sheet so i get loads of water up at my garden, makes life a bit easier. the snow where i am has almost pissed of and its starting to get warmer. cant wait to get this grow started!

wiggles

wiggles

Ok, so i have just found out i can use a friends HPS light for just over a month, to start of the plants! im not sure how much growth they will get in this time but i used the same light a few years back on one AMS seed and by the time i took it outside it was looking short and bushy and really nice thick stem to contend with the elements. so im feeling pretty good about this grow now and id like some opinions on how you think this will effect the grow? how big do you think the seedling will get in that space of time? will HPS lighting give faster growth?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Absolutely, as well as keeping them at the right temperatures. If they're growing quickly, expect concurrent nutrient demands. Start the light high to acclimate them, then drop it lower as they respond (negatively/positively). Be aware that even a 600W HPS can cause bleaching, a cue to raise the light until they 'catch up.' If you can't use the power of the sun, then HID lighting is next best thing for most rapid growth.

wiggles

wiggles

Absolutely, as well as keeping them at the right temperatures. If they're growing quickly, expect concurrent nutrient demands. Start the light high to acclimate them, then drop it lower as they respond (negatively/positively). Be aware that even a 600W HPS can cause bleaching, a cue to raise the light until they 'catch up.' If you can't use the power of the sun, then HID lighting is next best thing for most rapid growth.
thanks sea, i wont be involved in the indoor growing tho, and the person who is atarting the seeds of is allot more experienced with lighting than me. i know about the fast growth with HPS so thats why im really happy i get to put my plants under one for a month :)
do you think the transition from that kind of light to the outdoor temeratures and limited sun will have any negative effects? ive got to use this same light before and i only had pone fem seed and that was probly the best plant i have ever grown, so if all 17 make it i think this should make for an interesting grow journal. thanks for all the advise sea :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
As long as they're given a reasonable acclimation period, there is no reason why they shouldn't just sail right along through the transition from indoors to out. I always see a much more positive result in my plants upon being placed outside, always. In fact, it's how I often treat 'sick' or questionable cuts received as gifts--they're physically isolated in an area of dappled sunlight, warm temps, south-facing wall where they're easily observed and watered without being touched. More often than not Nature takes care of the problems (usually powdery mildew or spider mites) for me, no real effort involved.

wiggles

wiggles

As long as they're given a reasonable acclimation period, there is no reason why they shouldn't just sail right along through the transition from indoors to out. I always see a much more positive result in my plants upon being placed outside, always. In fact, it's how I often treat 'sick' or questionable cuts received as gifts--they're physically isolated in an area of dappled sunlight, warm temps, south-facing wall where they're easily observed and watered without being touched. More often than not Nature takes care of the problems (usually powdery mildew or spider mites) for me, no real effort involved.
yeah i think it will be a fairly good transition because there will be no more frost and it will just be very mild if not warm weather. its good to let nature do its thing most of the time. i went to the spot yesterday, its a mess. dead bracon every wear, soil on closer inspection looks very dry and not much like what i want my plants to go in. im thinking i should just go for some nice big pots, that way i can make my own soil recipe as i want it (would appreciate help with that :) and i can move the plants around and give every side of the plants a good dose of sunlight. im not sure how much some properly sized pots will cost but il just repot as the roots start to fill them. i found i have a half pot of bat guano and a bottle of tomato nutes, not sure if il need the tomato nutes but if it helps grow them faster?

so if you could recommend a recipe for growing medium that would work best for my climate, ive never made one before but i think now i have opted for pots this could be a good time to try something new

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm really bad for recipes, wiggles. I've been buying bulk topsoil and working that, reamending annually.

wiggles

wiggles

I'm really bad for recipes, wiggles. I've been buying bulk topsoil and working that, reamending annually.
well no worries, il just have to use my brain and figure out the best way to go about it. im probably going to go for a basic soil grow bag mix then add a few tubs of bat guano and some sand and perlite. should do the trick and if i put some clay pellets or rocks in that should bulk out the amount of soil i have. just go with what i know :)

found out i still have allot of wire fencing up at my spot so i think il be using that for my plants for heavy wind and animals like dear that go running through the forest, they look cool but damn they got no respect for a persons garden

wiggles

wiggles

so im thinking it would make allot of sense if i got some auto flowering seeds so i can grow some plants entirely through nice hot weather. anyone recommend any strains? im thinking russian rocket fuel and lowryder 2 but i havent looked around properly yet.
also another question regarding bat guano, is it possible to have to much? i mean if i have my plants in some nice big pots later on, would it be beneficial to have say a nice big tub of gauno to mix in with the soil, so lets say 90% soil and 10% guano. would this be a good amount to have or does this burn the roots or something?
any advice on soil recipes would be great, im looking to supplement bad weather with an amazing soil.

wiggles

wiggles

so i just got some more seeds. as its going i have

10 AMS
5 hollands hope
5 moby dick
10 pure power plant
10 moby dick auto
10 road runner 2 auto
10 blueberry auto

so im pretty well stocked. my idea is to get the regular strains nice and healthy, the pure power plant will have to germinate in two weeks time and hope it gets enough vegitation with the time its given, i chose it for its fast growth.
then im gonna take all the regular plants out of the grow tents and get them in nice big pots to encourage fast healthy growth. at the same time i will start the autoflowering seeds. i will have 30 plants that should complete their cycle in the greenhouses, im hoping this will mean they grow fast and get good size before they flower.
im buying a 5kg tub of plagron bat guano, and im going to make a nice healthy soil with lots of guano to encourage early flowering
any thoughts?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No, it looks like you have it fairly well planned out now, know what you're going to do and how you're going to approach it. Now we just watch the grow show, right? :D

wiggles

wiggles

No, it looks like you have it fairly well planned out now, know what you're going to do and how you're going to approach it. Now we just watch the grow show, right? :D
thats the plan, il be starting it of on may 7th, was advised to sink some nice big pots into the ground so they dont get hot and i wont have to water so much. apart from that im all set, keep you posted :)

wiggles

wiggles

Kirsty flower 004
Kirsty flower 005
Kirsty flower 012
Kirsty flower 023
Kirsty flower 022
Kirsty flower 005
Kirsty flower 016
Kirsty flower 053
Kirsty flower 052
Kirsty flower 004
Kirsty flower 005
Kirsty flower 012
View attachment 309076
Kirsty flower 023

wiggles

wiggles

some good nostalgic pictures from my last grow 2 years ago. i really loved these plants, especially that beauty in the tire. im hoping for a real difference in this years garden, the plants will be more consistent as this grow was very slap dash.
im opting to use "air pots" they are quite expensive but you get what you pay for. hope you enjoy my photography skills on my camera phone, love looking at these phots, instantly takes me back to those beautiful long walks up to the spot with a good few hours of work and a beer and a joint to relax after. who needs tropical climates to grow these girls :)

Top Bottom