Outdoor grow in Southeast Michigan 2024

• Thread starter cpurola
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cpurola

cpurola

Ok, made a mistake, or three.
I discovered three males in the 12 out back who I thought were females.
I was able to replace Dirty Dancing and Purple Prozac with actual girls.
Unfortunately I did not have another Mint Trip so replaced it with Afghan Outdoor.

Note: Plants were in the ground 5 days and when I pulled them out the roots had grown at least 1/2". 🙂

Boys:
20240516 085139

Stubborn girls who refuse to re-veg.

20240516 085930

Rest of the garden:

20240516 085344

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
This pic stress’s me the F! Out! Hahahaha! You go gett’em!!! 💪😄 they’re looking good! Are
Ok, made a mistake, or three.
I discovered three males in the 12 out back who I thought were females.
I was able to replace Dirty Dancing and Purple Prozac with actual girls.
Unfortunately I did not have another Mint Trip so replaced it with Afghan Outdoor.

Note: Plants were in the ground 5 days and when I pulled them out the roots had grown at least 1/2". 🙂

Boys:
View attachment 2172517

Stubborn girls who refuse to re-veg.

View attachment 2172518

Rest of the garden:

View attachment 2172519
this is a really nice set up! Love the planter boxes!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Looking good in veg heaven. Good thing, you have those t-posts In already! Could be some fencing in your future!😁🐒 A couple of game cams, Might solve your digging mystery. They’re kind of fun to play with anyway!

cpurola

cpurola

Looking good in veg heaven. Good thing, you have those t-posts In already! Could be some fencing in your future!😁🐒 A couple of game cams, Might solve your digging mystery. They’re kind of fun to play with anyway!
Cameras would be helpful, I'll run the idea past the engineer. 😉

Now I have to figure how I'm going to train the critters.
I'd like to try your method of pulling them all to the north. Do you behead them too?

cpurola

cpurola

this is a really nice set up! Love the planter boxes!
Thanks Bear, hubby and I talked about the boxes last fall and I staked out the spots.
This Spring I had to go out of town for a little while and he built and filled them while I was gone. He can be a sweatheart.
Gonna try and cover all the dirt with grass clippings.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Cameras would be helpful, I'll run the idea past the engineer. 😉

Now I have to figure how I'm going to train the critters.
I'd like to try your method of pulling them all to the north. Do you behead them too?
Nope! Just keep bending it down as the main cola Tries to grow up! Just like the guy in the old video! In conditions like yours, you may wind up with plants like his. just because you Bend Them doesn’t mean they will be Runts like mine! Mine, don’t get ideal condition! Make sure your roots. Have a good bite and take your time. Pulling them over! Don’t need to be uprooting anything! This is uncharted grow territory for you with the planters! It remains to be seen how The roots develop and grow! If they stay shallow, you may run into problems even with a regular plant in October! Hopefully they will dig deep!😁🐒

Galgrows

Galgrows

Okay, now I have to rehome and find people who want them. Most are females.
Heck i too gave 4 away cause i cut and saved too many clones. Gal those males are just beautiful, i swear mine always look healthier and always bigger than the females. How do you keep animals away from them? I have 8ft wood fence around my garden area used to be 6ft but deer still were able to leap over. Cats can be a issue also with those boxes ewww LOL i placed old wire over mine cause the damn cats come around my veggie beds.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Thanks Bear, hubby and I talked about the boxes last fall and I staked out the spots.
This Spring I had to go out of town for a little while and he built and filled them while I was gone. He can be a sweatheart.
Gonna try and cover all the dirt with grass clippings.
Got yourself a good dude! Not that you need to hear that from me lol! What are the grass clippings for? Like a mulch top to hold moisture? : )

cpurola

cpurola

Got yourself a good dude! Not that you need to hear that from me lol! What are the grass clippings for? Like a mulch top to hold moisture? : )
Thanks, yep, 48 years and counting, not gonna trade him in. LOL

The grass clippings are fabulous mulch, it doesn't take alot to be effective and as it breaks down it fertilizes too!
And yes it also keeps the soil damp and cool.
I've used it in my flower beds for years.

cpurola

cpurola

Heck i too gave 4 away cause i cut and saved too many clones. Gal those males are just beautiful, i swear mine always look healthier and always bigger than the females. How do you keep animals away from them? I have 8ft wood fence around my garden area used to be 6ft but deer still were able to leap over. Cats can be a issue also with those boxes ewww LOL i placed old wire over mine cause the damn cats come around my veggie beds.
We have a couple of deer that meander through but they haven't developed a taste for weed. In fact they tried a couple last year but spit them out. I'm hoping they remember. 🫤
But really, I strunk some yellow 'caution' tape around last years garden and it seemed to work.
For the ground hog, we set up a very low to the ground electric fence. (reel of copper wire)

Yes, the males do seem to be taller and prettier. LOL

Thatoneguyyouknow_

Thatoneguyyouknow_

If ever feeling down about the grow, just hit me up for an update on my outdoor girlies.

So far im having the worst outdoor season ive ever had anywhere by orders of magnitude 🤣🤣😭

I have aphids pyrethrin wont kill, and something capable of crossing DE thats eating on my leaves. No slime trails, no signs of caterpillars, cant find anything but live aphids and their eggs. Just freshly munched leaves every day i get home from work.

I have burned and bleached leaves ive had to spray so much. Even been using NEEM too and these little aphids will not dip out.

But the plants haven't slowed their growth for a second. Some of my newest shoots even have a little witches broom from the constant aphids, but still growing like mad.

The pyrethrin got rid of literally everything immediately, besides the damn krypton-aphids. I prob wont be growing outside on this land next season lmao.

Last edited:
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Thanks, yep, 48 years and counting, not gonna trade him in. LOL

The grass clippings are fabulous mulch, it doesn't take alot to be effective and as it breaks down it fertilizes too!
And yes it also keeps the soil damp and cool.
I've used it in my flower beds for years.
Thats great!

Thats an awesome idea! I like the multi purpose aspect : )

cpurola

cpurola

Thats great!

Thats an awesome idea! I like the multi purpose aspect : )
But like everything it has a down side.
Slugs and earwigs love to hide in it and come out at night.
The last couple of years I've raked it off in the fall and that has been less of an issue the next Spring.

cpurola

cpurola

If ever feeling down about the grow, just hit me up for an update on my outdoor girlies.

So far im having the worst outdoor season ive ever had anywhere by orders of magnitude 🤣🤣😭

I have aphids pyrethrin wont kill, and something capable of crossing DE thats eating on my leaves. No slime trails, no signs of caterpillars, cant find anything but live aphids and their eggs. Just freshly munched leaves every day i get home from work.

I have burned and bleached leaves ive had to spray so much. Even been using NEEM too and these little aphids will not dip out.

But the plants haven't slowed their growth for a second. Some of my newest shoots even have a little witches broom from the constant aphids, but still growing like mad.

The pyrethrin got rid of literally everything immediately, besides the damn krypton-aphids. I prob wont be growing outside on this land next season lmao.
I haven't tried it, but GNick55 uses alcohol on critters and says it works great. Not straight, diluted.

Rooke

Rooke

I have well water here with ph of about 7.5 and it is very cold. I blasted them really hard with it with a spray nozzle for several days and it worked but I didn’t have many of them at the time worth a try tho. Good luck g

Top Bottom