Passing Cords Through A Sealed Room Wall

• Thread starter Highatollah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Highatollah

Building my first sealed room. Was wondering if anyone could recommend a way to pass hood to ballast cords through the dry wall. My thought for passing a cord would normally be drilling a hole but because the plug is so large the hole isn't really caulkable.

All recommendations are appreciated. Thank you.

H

Highatollah

Spray foam. It's called great stuff available at any hardware store.
Does that mean you're drilling a big hole and then spray foaming it? Do you put one cord through each hole or make a big hole and put many cords through it?

Homesteader

Homesteader

I chose not to use spray foam because I may change cords out someday for one reason or another so on mine I packed my hole with fiberglass and taped around it and haven't seen any seep due to it. My room test held 48 hours with 25ppm drop.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Install a plug into the sheetrock. Done deal. Passing cords through walls is not allowed by code.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Nope. Just install a box with a receptacle. That receptacle then feeds another on the other side of the wall. Then a patch cord from receptacle number 2 to controller. That is what I would do. When growing, it's important to not have firewall holes. Inspectors will tear you a new one if they ever see a plug traveling through a wall. Makes you liable.

Homesteader

Homesteader

After reading about it and thinking t through, I would recommend fire block foam, if you are going to pass it through a hole unless you can do what Bulldog recommended. I guess maybe I should do that myself as well.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
yup. wobbly goblin hit the nail on the head. You must of missed the "you become liable" comment. Insurance tries to figure out how the fire started, then they see your cord being passed through the wall. Now you are responsible for the damage from your illegal grow and illegal construction. You can't have a legal grow with major code violations, just part of the game now. Farms will all have to be AG zoned, therefore commercial construction practices apply. Gonna put a lot of people in the dust very soon.

H

Highatollah

Just install a box with a receptacle.

Where do you find a receptacle for standard grow hood plugs? I can't find them.

my guess... they would be trying to locate where the fire started that burnt your house down

I feel like passing cords through a wall doesn't increase my risk of fire hazard at all when you make it sound like passing cords through a wall makes a fire inevitable.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
What volt 120 or 30 amp 240?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-20-Amp-Duplex-Outlet-White-R52-05352-0WS/100356852

http://www.homedepot.com/s/240v%2030amp%20receptacle?NCNI-5

If you don't care about code, then just get some spray fire foam and drill a hole. Just telling you how it should be done. And yes, and insurance inspector will for sure blame your grown on the house fire. Duh. Even if it starts on the other side of the house.

"illegal wiring cause an electrical draw which stressed the wires on the opposite side of the house causing a fire....." stuff like this, seen it happen. Wrote up insurance claims myself. You think home owners have a clue why things are going wrong, or where is starts?

Either way, hope this helps

H

Highatollah

What volt 120 or 30 amp 240?

Lol I'm not retarded, I know a standard electrical plug.

I said where do you get receptacles for grow hood plugs, as in the plug from the hood that goes to the ballast. A BAASP plug.

baasp4.jpg

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
I think bulldog thinks you're wanting to put actual electrical wire through the wall to plug your light controller into? Maybe...

What you're trying to do is have your ballasts outside of the room so you're passing your hood cords through the wall... right?

Natural

Natural

If you're a medical grower subject to inspections or want to be covered for a med grow in a legal state for insurance..for the most part what folks are doing is keeping HID ballasts in the same room as the flowering plants or using lamp fixtures that have attached ballast such as gavita and plugging into hardwired outlets. If you're just trying to be safe and have a clandestine op..just use a wall sleeve or cut piece of pvc to use as a pass-through and then you can use fire caulking to seal or stuff with fiberglass insulation and tape.

Olyver

Olyver

If you have several lampcords to run through the wall, get two J-boxes (junction boxes), one for each side of the wall. Use some cable glands/dome fittings for the flexible lamp cords. Between both J-boxes install a length of EMT pipe and some plastic bushings, and run cables through the EMT pipe, you can splice if you have to. The J-boxes will have 1/2" knockouts or drill your own for the dome fittings.

Top Bottom