Passing Cords Through A Sealed Room Wall

• Thread starter Highatollah
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Natural

Natural

If you have several lampcords to run through the wall, get two J-boxes (junction boxes), one for each side of the wall. Use some cable glands/dome fittings for the flexible lamp cords. Between both J-boxes install a length of EMT pipe and some plastic bushings, and run cables through the EMT pipe, you can splice if you have to. The J-boxes will have 1/2" knockouts or drill your own for the dome fittings.
splicing stranded flexible wire? Bad idea unless you know what you're doing. Best use a barrel or other splice connector and tape well.
https://www.zoro.com/burndy-mechanical-conn-splice-10-to-14-awg-ams0/i/G4689763/

Olyver

Olyver

It can be tricky, but once you know. it's easy to do, the two separate wires are twisted under a wirenut. After the insulation is removed from both conductors, twist the strands clockwise, so it's more solid, then twist both wire tips together, then twist on a wirenut, done this 1000s of times. You can also use butt crimps, a terminal block (600V rated), or solder the wires then add heatshrink instead of tape. There are a few different ways to connect two separate wires. Splicing a solid conductor and one with standed wires is a bit tricky, place the stranded wire a little bit passed the solid conductor, the twist.

Natural

Natural

exactly..tricky. especially for non-professionals. In my 20 years of inspecting faulty electrical work..junctions are the main culprit for failures.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Lol I'm not retarded, I know a standard electrical plug.

I said where do you get receptacles for grow hood plugs, as in the plug from the hood that goes to the ballast. A BAASP plug.

baasp4.jpg

Well, it's not much harder to find that receptacle than a regular one. So I assume you are all over it then.

Natural

Natural

Well, it's not much harder to find that receptacle than a regular one. So I assume you are all over it then.
Wrap it up dude. Ballast plugs are unique to connecting ballast and mogul..there is no receptacle anywhere in the world that fits either style of BAASP plug configuration.. Nor were they ever intended to.

H

Highatollah

Thank you Natural for some actual advice and insight instead of just replying with a word or two that give no description as to what process everyone else uses.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Wrap it up dude. Ballast plugs are unique to connecting ballast and mogul..there is no receptacle anywhere in the world that fits either style of BAASP plug configuration.. Nor were they ever intended to.

You sure about that bro?

Sorry I have to spell this out for you, but here we go. Take your lamp cord, and strip it back. Land it in a surface mount box and then run pipe to your controller. Or if in a garage over 7 ft you can just use Romex from your controller to your J-box......... Happy now, or do I need to hold your hand and tell you how special you are? Are you in your safe space?

Last edited:
Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
Hard if you have never done anything, or watched a youtube video. Simple stuff here. I have run miles of stranded wire though conduit in commercial buildings. Never once thought braided wire was some how harder or more dangerous. You just an inspector? Teach but never do type of thing? Most wires I work with are stranded, because larger conductors are more pliable with braided wire.

Just strip the wire back, land in a box, and make your connections. Easy Peasy.
splicing stranded flexible wire? Bad idea unless you know what you're doing. Best use a barrel or other splice connector and tape well.
https://www.zoro.com/burndy-mechanical-conn-splice-10-to-14-awg-ams0/i/G4689763/

Last edited:
Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
What is so funny? Your way is silly for a home owner, and dangerous. Plus you would have to use a Buchanan C24 Crimp Tool and install a Buchanan 2006 or 2011. You think that is easier, or my way is funny for some reason? Home owners do not own those tools, and not using those tools are against code and dangerous.

Land it in a box, then connect that box to controller, done deal. Metal box, Romex connector then whatever you need to connect to controller. Nothing funny about it. You must be old school recommending a barrel connector? Never use those and I have been an electrician for 12 years, in the trades for 20.

Natural

Natural

I'm laughing because you're a bit spastic.
Look, he asked you a direct question about ballast cords and your response indicated that they exist, when they don't.
You are recommending splicing flexible cords and creating junctions when it's not necessary.
Stranded wire junctions are not par for course, for any install pro or not. Large awg stranded junctions in residential, only exist at service via lineman's junction. Sure you can do it..throw it in a box..but recommend it?.. hell no.
The correct course is to make a solid run with no junction service to receptacle.
Just step back a minute and look at what you're recommending. You don't know if this is a simple residential set-up or a commercial one. You do not know the skill levels involved. IMHO you just want to exercise your ego and listen to yourself talk. The reason I told you to wrap it up..is simple. You either are not reading the question carefully or you are just plain giving horrible advice on purpose to confuse people.
I only recommended a barrel connector or similar because if you're cutting flexible stranded it would be wise instead of a wire nut. I do not recommend splicing a ballast cord..that's just plain stupid.

Last edited:
Natural

Natural

You sure about that bro?

Sorry I have to spell this out for you, but here we go. Take your lamp cord, and strip it back. Land it in a surface mount box and then run pipe to your controller. Or if in a garage over 7 ft you can just use Romex from your controller to your J-box......... Happy now, or do I need to hold your hand and tell you how special you are? Are you in your safe space?
yes..there is not and never will be a BAASP receptacle except the ballast itself.

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
So they do exist. Maybe a call to the manufacture will enlighten you guys. More than one way to skin a cat. Good luck.

So @Natural he already said this is at a house. So I wasn't assuming anything, we already went over all that. If I understand you correctly, your method would be something like drill a hole and use a fire caulk? One solid run? That works for sure. Already said that works.

Hope you figure it out my man. Good luck.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
'lots of good info here.
yes, it is against code to pass most cables through a wall, and "most" includes your cable between ballast and fixture.
if you're doing this, i assume that you are not worried about building to code, or insurance companies, for that matter.
in the old days, i'd install pvc and abs sleeves through the wall like Natural suggested. then i'd caulk around the outside of the sleeve and i'd pass electrical and plumbing through these sleeves and then seal around the pipes/cables within the sleeve with plumber's putty. this made it easy for changes. i like the use of fire block foam however. whenever there's an option to make my room more fire safe (including limiting the spread of fire), i think it's a great idea.

Natural

Natural

'lots of good info here.
yes, it is against code to pass most cables through a wall, and "most" includes your cable between ballast and fixture.
if you're doing this, i assume that you are not worried about building to code, or insurance companies, for that matter.
in the old days, i'd install pvc and abs sleeves through the wall like Natural suggested. then i'd caulk around the outside of the sleeve and i'd pass electrical and plumbing through these sleeves and then seal around the pipes/cables within the sleeve with plumber's putty. this made it easy for changes. i like the use of fire block foam however. whenever there's an option to make my room more fire safe (including limiting the spread of fire), i think it's a great idea.
dang papa..long time no see bro...awesome to hear ya peep in..busy season :)

Papa

Papa

Supporter
What do you mean by abs sleeve? Google doesn't give a clear cut answer on what one of these is.
abs is the "black plumbing pipe." 3" or 4" diameter for the ballast connectors, a couple of inches longer than your wall is thick.

dang papa..long time no see bro...awesome to hear ya peep in..busy season :)

hey, Natural. 'nice to see ya. i pop in when i can to hassle Seamaiden! ; )

H

Highatollah

abs is the "black plumbing pipe." 3" or 4" diameter for the ballast connectors, a couple of inches longer than your wall is thick.

Ok so you're just using regular tube over the end of a small section of PVC. Gotcha. I wasn't sure if there was some sort of unit referred to as a sleeve that I was unaware of.

Do you run multiple ballast cords through 4" diameter holes and have multiple holes?

Thanks Papa!

Top Bottom