Payne Farms 2016 Greenhouse Grow

• Thread starter papapayne
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
staygreen024

staygreen024

jus wana say im tuned in for the year bro. and i wish i was right there with ya. happy treez

papapayne

papapayne

Great info on the rabbits papapayne, very detailed. Based off your info a buck and 2 or 3 does would be plenty for our family. Any thoughts on housing them with or near chickens? We've got a good sized coop, with big over-hangs on both sides. I was thinking I could put the hutches under the overhangs to keep them shaded and out of the rain. It would sure make things easier if all the barnyard animals could all be in one spot.

The only thing I'm worried about after reading your reply is the issue with heat. How hot of a temperature can rabbits tolerate, in genreal? Highs of 100 are the norm here all summer long, and usually a few times a season we get up to 105. My chickens can handle the heat (barely) but when we get those 105 degree days I have to put frozen 1 gallon jugs in the yard for them to nuzzle up against to chill off. I don't want to end up with any dead rabbits.

Oh and any thoughts on those stackable wire rabbit cages? Seems like they would be very space efficient, but they are definitely smaller than what you seem to be housing them in.

I do give more space then most, partly because I spoil them, and partly because the flemish giant in them makes them a little larger then nearly every breed of bunny. The flemish is one of the largest breeds. The downside to the stackables is mostly just price vs reward imo. If you don't mind overpaying, or can find some used they are great. I have wood laying around, and can make em much bigger with little to no cost. 20 bucks for wire, and some pallet wood or scrap wood is what I usually do.

If they have plenty of ventilation, and arent in the direct sun, then that should be fine, especially if you give them frozen bottles to. On super hot days, I give mine frozen gallon jugs as well.

papapayne

papapayne

Great info on the rabbits papapayne, very detailed. Based off your info a buck and 2 or 3 does would be plenty for our family. Any thoughts on housing them with or near chickens? We've got a good sized coop, with big over-hangs on both sides. I was thinking I could put the hutches under the overhangs to keep them shaded and out of the rain. It would sure make things easier if all the barnyard animals could all be in one spot.

The only thing I'm worried about after reading your reply is the issue with heat. How hot of a temperature can rabbits tolerate, in genreal? Highs of 100 are the norm here all summer long, and usually a few times a season we get up to 105. My chickens can handle the heat (barely) but when we get those 105 degree days I have to put frozen 1 gallon jugs in the yard for them to nuzzle up against to chill off. I don't want to end up with any dead rabbits.

Oh and any thoughts on those stackable wire rabbit cages? Seems like they would be very space efficient, but they are definitely smaller than what you seem to be housing them in.

oh yea, and chickens. They are fine together, mostly. roosters, being roosters, all fine sometimes, and sometimes the roos pick on rabbits. I find my hens are VERY curious about the bunnys. when the buns are in the movable tractor, the hens all gather around it and chatter. I have some Dominique hens, and they are chatty in general. I have one doe (named trouble) that is an escape artist, and I usually can find her by seeing where the hens are all at. Pretty funny how animals are.

papapayne

papapayne

Got another rat run up, and measured to the right spot, and anchored in. Got the upper most rat left to do, and then will be damn near ready for plastic. Obviously will have last minute things to do, but coming along.

Since is so wet out, its been really easy to spread the ground back out to level after the pigs did there demolishing. going to lay the weed cloth out, Got the marks set up to space the plants as well, and will be getting the pallets down soon.

papapayne

papapayne

so, my boy from cali and I got more greenhouse work done. And some un - doing work. i found these galv, brackets made to do exactly what I am doing, (1x4 anchored to 1" pvc bows) so replacing the metal plumbers tape with the brackets. We got all the rat runs built, and on the bows. Also, got the hinges on, and will be painting the back of the door and getting it hung soon. We are just about ready for plastic, which is awesome.

It was sunny for the first half the day, so I took the plants outside under the sun. This was the seedling/teen sized seawarps, and the wet dreams x seawarp cross, and the grand master kush, and the big 10 gallon outdoor ladies. it turned monsoon rain, so plants were hastily shoved back under the MH lighting.

Got my soil test from logan labs incoming to, they called to process payment and verify email address to email me it, hard copy coming in mail. This will help me tailor my soil to the exact needs. Anyway, was a good day for progress.

papapayne

papapayne

PART 1457657696343 IMG 20160310 105552080
PART 1457657716789 IMG 20160310 105615302
PART 1457657718059 IMG 20160310 105558570
PART 1457657719578 IMG 20160310 105555284

papapayne

papapayne

@Blaze @Bulldog11

Heres my soil sample, care to comment & advise? This is from my spent soil from last year - I haven't tilled in the cover crops or rabbit manure yet. Just the base soil.

Edited soil sample no name on

Blaze

Blaze

Ph is perfect, organic matter is good, but could be a little higher. You will definitely need a lot more calcium. Cannabis is a calcium hog and there is more and more research showing that the liquid calcium products really do not do anything - you need it in the soil. Magnesium is sufficient. Phosphorous and micros I'd have to look up some of my old tests, I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head.

What about nitrogen? I don't see it on there. Nitrogen is a big one, cannabis use it more than any other element from what I have seen. I really like using feather meal in my mix as it provides a constant supply of slow release nitrogen over the whole season and is impossible to burn your plants with.

Don't forget to look at the physical properties as well. Aeration and drainage are just as important as pH and nutrients as they dictate how the plant interacts with water and oxygen. You can actually do a simple test yourself to determine where you are on the 'texture triangle' as well as figure out bulk density.

papapayne

papapayne

Ph is perfect, organic matter is good, but could be a little higher. You will definitely need a lot more calcium. Cannabis is a calcium hog and there is more and more research showing that the liquid calcium products really do not do anything - you need it in the soil. Magnesium is sufficient. Phosphorous and micros I'd have to look up some of my old tests, I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head.

What about nitrogen? I don't see it on there. Nitrogen is a big one, cannabis use it more than any other element from what I have seen. I really like using feather meal in my mix as it provides a constant supply of slow release nitrogen over the whole season and is impossible to burn your plants with.

Don't forget to look at the physical properties as well. Aeration and drainage are just as important as pH and nutrients as they dictate how the plant interacts with water and oxygen. You can actually do a simple test yourself to determine where you are on the 'texture triangle' as well as figure out bulk density.

What would and how much of it per 200 gallon pot you recommend for the cal? I have 25# of oyster shell from down to earth ready to use, but definitely don't mind spending more to get multiple sources. I do seem to constantly be fighting Cal deficiencies.

Yea I was surprised to not see N on there, was like wow...that seems to be a big missing thing?!

papapayne

papapayne

And how much feather meal would you recommend per 200 gall

papapayne

papapayne

I called logan labs, the nitrate and ammonia test is 13 extra, so got them doing that now. Will post up the results!

papapayne

papapayne

Google "golden arm tarp puller." But don't buy one (unless you've got money to burn). You can build something similar with parts from the hardware store for at most a few hundred bucks vs. $1500. It's basically just a metal arm on a pivot.

Or bunch up some of the tarp around a tennis ball and tie some rope around that, then toss the rope over the hoop house. I would guess you would need at least 4 for something that size. I forget exactly what that type of knot is called, it's an old camping trick for securing tarps.

Even a stick or a 10' length of PVC to hook under the tarp to give yourself some leverage can do the trick.

Oh and I would be leery planting old mother plants. They tend to grow pretty slow and in general be not so great. Just because they are big now doesn't mean they will do well. Young and vigorous is what you want, not old and big...

You are about the 12th person I have heard say something along this line. I am starting to get it, I am noticing that my big ladies I had planned are really slowing down compared to the young ones. Kinda thinking of using smaller teens. Would also be a lot less transplant shock, and easier to put cages on.

papapayne

papapayne

I am kind thinking my plants that are vegging for outdoors have gotten waaaay to big now lol. Thinking of flowering them indoors, and replacing with a smaller sized teen version. They are all 5x5, and to damn big to even attempt to put a cage on without breaking the fuck outta it. i have plenty more teens of both the wetdreams and the dog to put in the greenhouse, that will be much easier to manage. Luckily its still early as hell to make swaps. Puts everything - seeds and clones at a much more even size as well.

2 Grand master kush - these are looking epic - definitely going to keep clones of these :) (treemansbuds)
2 Dog Kush (breeders boutique)
2 Wet dreams
1 Bangi Haze - 12 seedlings to choose the best female from (Ace seeds)
1 Gogi og f3 x Nepali Og - bohdi seeds - have 9 to choose the best female out of.

papapayne

papapayne

Got the ace seeds under the dome - first one up less then 24 hours is a bangi haze

16 march 2016 001
16 march 2016 002

lemon tree starting to flower

16 march 2016 003

seedlings and some teens and my wet dreams mom

16 march 2016 004

I picked up this timber bamboo from a local nursey. - japanese timber bamboo. Its the fastest growin species of bamboo, and reportedly the most invasive and one of, if not the fastest growing plant on planet earth. My sustainability professor had several very compelling articles that if every american gave a 10x10 square of their land to bamboo it would sequester enough co2 to offset much of the damage since the industrial revolution. Sounds crazy I know, But hey, I love plants in general, so going to dedicate some space to it. I planted black bamboo already, and this will be my larger specimen. I planted it in a 65 gallon, with a lot of great soil, and tons of rabbit manure. Going to baby it, and have plans to plant all the rhizomes that escape the smart pots side walls

16 march 2016 010

papapayne

papapayne

well, officially decided to downgrade from the 5x5 huge plants, to more manageable teens.

Got a cheapo greenhouse, and ran my light cord out there - gonna have their first night outdoors :)

PART 1458268225408 IMG 20160317 192855587
PART 1458268333233 IMG 20160317 192638755

papapayne

papapayne

@Blaze and @Bulldog11

Got the nitrates /ammonia test results
NH3-n ppm .6
no3-n ppm 8.4

papapayne

papapayne

Whew, well another busy ass day of prep work so far. On lunch break now, then hopefully will get more progress done before the wife needs me for other tasks.

I got pallets, and marked out my spacing in the greenhouse. Every plant will have 10x10x14 space. Feel pretty confident this should be good space, although I expect to be covered in resin come flower time when I walk thru.

Got 2 of the 200s on pallets and filled 1/2 the way with the old soil. Going to get them all laid out, half filled, then mix the amendments in, then use all my compost in each parts per pot, then equally split my fresh rabbit manure, then go from there. I think I have enough soil, compost, manure, and castings to fill, but it not, I will have a few more yards of compost delivered.

Got all the seedlings that I am selecting from up potted from solo cups to 1 gallons, and moved into the mini greenhouse. Got plastic coming for the big greenhouse, but its still 2 weeks out.

PART 1458331800294 IMG 20160318 130434933
PART 1458331816093 IMG 20160318 130443747
PART 1458331828592 IMG 20160318 130451849
PART 1458331844378 IMG 20160318 130422186

papapayne

papapayne

Well, I had my stupid mistake and Hopefully only mistake of the season.

Was moving plants in 15 gallon freshly watered plants around and bent down carelessly and fell , managed to get a good bit of bamboo stake impaled into my side like a total dumbass. It went into the fat under the skin, not anything serious. Only a flesh wound. Fucking hurt though Ill tell ya that! Pulling it out didn't feel to great either.

Top Bottom