Perpetual Grow in Alaska V3

• Thread starter kenaibuds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
kenaibuds

kenaibuds

Hello, and welcome to anybody reading this. I have been growing since 2017 and have a perpetual grow. Some of my own strains and some bagseeds. I’ll get some pics of my setup and then I’ll post a bit about what’s in my rooms.

kenaibuds

kenaibuds

I thought I might as well add some videos of the setup. Simple and easy. I don’t need anything too crazy for personal smoke for the lady and I. I might be able to produce higher volume or higher quality (maybe both) in some runs but I get pretty consistent results. I grow in soil with a little bit of stuff added. I mostly just go for some kind of hot mix to blend with promix and medium/light nutrients in flower. Lately I’ve been using roots organic, just running off of old notes and copying what produced great results.

kenaibuds

kenaibuds

Two ladies of Cake Monkey (lemon pound cake x gas monkey) with twin tops, bagseeds. Gonna be really popcorny but that’s alright because this is only my first go. Next is a pic of Lime Chem Skunk from Mt Zion Seed Co-op. That was actually two weeks before entering flower with a heavy pruning. I like to use the Kyle Kushman techniques, plant chiropractic for strength and stripping the branch down to the top + a couple “satellites” as he calls them.

This lime chem skunk was fim’d and the growth slowed for two months in veg. I did this to keep the height very low with lots of nodes. I took six clones from the bottom-up and I didn’t lose a single one. My cloning method is with Hormex #3 and soil/coco/castings mix in solo cups.

The last photo is from another bagseed. Who knows what it is at this point... I was told candy land but I fuckin doubt it! I’m just stoked on the nugs. That’s it.

3F665DEC 8CDF 4182 9135 678D9E236604
4835C0E9 8B6B 470E 970A 711F69F3D977
615C5754 8BDD 4675 A096 2A59CF9838BF
7F67F1C3 E624 408D 835E 92F6C5F0EF91
kenaibuds

kenaibuds

Here is that Lime Chem Skunk, as of today. She’s really filling out at day 10 from the start of flower. Four main tops and three stragglers. Each main branch has roughly 8/9 nodes from the top and the smaller ones have 5/6. I’m hoping that will help them grow up to be closer to the majority of the canopy. I like what I see in this plant so far, so I threw a couple of small clones from her into flower.

48453F60 0EAC 407E 9538 1296DFE63D4D
FE17B884 2325 42EE 9E85 421618F89004
78DE596C 8B0E 4EF4 BDB8 69AF9672B52F
82E51FBF 4304 4C53 90E8 B90EC9A74905
413A6297 8E19 4A3F 88A3 626624834959
Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Here is that Lime Chem Skunk, as of today. She’s really filling out at day 10 from the start of flower. Four main tops and three stragglers. Each main branch has roughly 8/9 nodes from the top and the smaller ones have 5/6. I’m hoping that will help them grow up to be closer to the majority of the canopy. I like what I see in this plant so far, so I threw a couple of small clones from her into flower.
Awesome! How do you time your plantings, how often do you harvest etc, I was considering running perpetual I have a 4x8 and. 4x4 and was thinking about doing a 5 week stagger on new plants having 2 in the flower 4x8 (one 5 weeks ahead of the other) and 1 large ready to move to the flower tent in the veg tent and start 1 seedling or clone.

Is it harder to keep up with multiple stages of growth when feeding etc? I just figured it would be nice to have a new strain to smoke each month-ish

kenaibuds

kenaibuds

Awesome! How do you time your plantings, how often do you harvest etc, I was considering running perpetual I have a 4x8 and. 4x4 and was thinking about doing a 5 week stagger on new plants having 2 in the flower 4x8 (one 5 weeks ahead of the other) and 1 large ready to move to the flower tent in the veg tent and start 1 seedling or clone.

Is it harder to keep up with multiple stages of growth when feeding etc? I just figured it would be nice to have a new strain to smoke each month-ish
Thanks for stopping by mikedin. Honestly, I just re-established my grow so I don’t have any kind of schedule anymore. I don’t have mother plants right now either, so things are kind of weird for me. Right now, I just keep my veg room stacked up and lush so that when a couple plants go out, a couple more go in. I used to cut 6 clones (2 from each mother) once a month, put a 2 plants into flower once a month, and harvest 2 once a month. So I’d have 60 day strains running 30 days apart. That’s a really good offset in my opinion, you stay busy but not too busy. I knew a guy who would do cycles of three weeks. He harvested more frequently than me and had more bud than I did. But he actually had so much that he was giving me his clones and even a whole round of flowering plants. You have to be dialed in with a lot of time to run an offset like that.

It’s a pain in the ass running two feeding routines, and honestly I make mistakes here and there.. for example, feeding some early flower nutes to a 45 day’er when it should be given to a 15 day’er. But I like to have 5 or 6 medium sized flowering plants at a time. If I stuck to 2 large staggered plants, it would be no biggy on feeding.

Scheduling is hard. Plants don’t always grow on your schedule and it’s really frustrating. If you want to run perpetual, I’d say keep that veg room stacked within reason. You definitely want a batter up, but you also want a couple girls right behind them. And a handful of clones or seeds as well. My theory there is that you can always prune your plants down but you can’t throw a toddler into flower. I wait for my plants to take the shape/size I want/need instead of putting them on a schedule.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Thanks man! And thanks for stopping by
Hey man welcome to the farm, Nice set up, it looks like you've been at it a while. Everything looks nice and healthy. Are you getting any skunk out of your skunks?

I'm down in Nova Scotia and we're going to get some of your cold weather down here this week. I'm not looking forward to it and I wish you'd just keep it up there where it belongs. I'm blaming DARPA. they're up your way...aren't they.....🤨🧐

I'm running a perpetual 2 month turn around. I take cuttings from plants I'm about to flip. Flip them and grow out their children, then take cuttings from the children and flip so every 2 months ish I've a fresh new crop ready to flip and harvest. I just grew out and dried your state flower....an Alaska Thunderfuck, I didn't clone her but I've more seeds for when I get the chance.😄

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Yep yep kinda what I was thinking I only want 2 or 3 in flower at any time, and 2 or 3 at various stages in the veg room, I can’t have a ton but 6 at a time in 3 of those in flower would work perfect for me , I do have some j can clone I may keep in the vegetable tent for a mother or she may go outside I kinda want to start 100% fresh and sterile before I get going so I’m finishing off whatever is growing now then I’ll start getting ready. I figured it’ll be more work but worth the time especially if I go with something simple for feed like jacks 123 or something similar so I’m not trying to mix 5 bottles into the same feed for each plant lol
Thanks for stopping by mikedin. Honestly, I just re-established my grow so I don’t have any kind of schedule anymore. I don’t have mother plants right now either, so things are kind of weird for me. Right now, I just keep my veg room stacked up and lush so that when a couple plants go out, a couple more go in. I used to cut 6 clones (2 from each mother) once a month, put a 2 plants into flower once a month, and harvest 2 once a month. So I’d have 60 day strains running 30 days apart. That’s a really good offset in my opinion, you stay busy but not too busy. I knew a guy who would do cycles of three weeks. He harvested more frequently than me and had more bud than I did. But he actually had so much that he was giving me his clones and even a whole round of flowering plants. You have to be dialed in with a lot of time to run an offset like that.

It’s a pain in the ass running two feeding routines, and honestly I make mistakes here and there.. for example, feeding some early flower nutes to a 45 day’er when it should be given to a 15 day’er. But I like to have 5 or 6 medium sized flowering plants at a time. If I stuck to 2 large staggered plants, it would be no biggy on feeding.

Scheduling is hard. Plants don’t always grow on your schedule and it’s really frustrating. If you want to run perpetual, I’d say keep that veg room stacked within reason. You definitely want a batter up, but you also want a couple girls right behind them. And a handful of clones or seeds as well. My theory there is that you can always prune your plants down but you can’t throw a toddler into flower. I wait for my plants to take the shape/size I want/need instead of putting them on a schedule.

kenaibuds

kenaibuds

Hey man welcome to the farm, Nice set up, it looks like you've been at it a while. Everything looks nice and healthy. Are you getting any skunk out of your skunks?

I'm down in Nova Scotia and we're going to get some of your cold weather down here this week. I'm not looking forward to it and I wish you'd just keep it up there where it belongs. I'm blaming DARPA. they're up your way...aren't they.....🤨🧐

I'm running a perpetual 2 month turn around. I take cuttings from plants I'm about to flip. Flip them and grow out their children, then take cuttings from the children and flip so every 2 months ish I've a fresh new crop ready to flip and harvest. I just grew out and dried your state flower....an Alaska Thunderfuck, I didn't clone her but I've more seeds for when I get the chance.😄
Thanks man! Actually, this is the first time I’ve done anything with this Lime Chem Skunk, or anything with skunk in the title. For the most part I avoid those because of the hype and high possibility that what I’m getting is actually random, or at least not skunk. This was a freebie along with some long term sativa’s that I picked up. I actually got about 400 extra seeds, for free, from the guys at Mt Zion Seed Co-op. I was really happy about that since I only had homemade seeds in my bank.

Oh man, we have been stuck in a warm spell lately. I’m starting to think we might get an early spring… hopefully. As for darpa, I have no clue.

Hell yeah, that sounds like a good routine as well! Your plants are guaranteed to get big enough in the two months it takes to bud out. I’ve done that before too and I like it!

kenaibuds

kenaibuds

Yep yep kinda what I was thinking I only want 2 or 3 in flower at any time, and 2 or 3 at various stages in the veg room, I can’t have a ton but 6 at a time in 3 of those in flower would work perfect for me , I do have some j can clone I may keep in the vegetable tent for a mother or she may go outside I kinda want to start 100% fresh and sterile before I get going so I’m finishing off whatever is growing now then I’ll start getting ready. I figured it’ll be more work but worth the time especially if I go with something simple for feed like jacks 123 or something similar so I’m not trying to mix 5 bottles into the same feed for each plant lol
Yeah, for sure, you really don’t need a bunch of runners up. It’s like you said, just need to have those different stages in veg.

I actually had to shut down for a while because I brought in some spiders and thrips off clones from a mom outside. It’s extremely detrimental to a perpetual grow because there’s always fresh material for pests to thrive on. And they will find their way there no matter how much neem oil and dish soap you use.

I run bottled nutes but damn, it’s a hassle. So I’m thinking that’s a good idea… I did use a product from Jobe’s, it was a mycorrhizal granular feed and I loved it almost as much as my plants did. But I can’t find that exact one anymore. I think I might look into that Jack’s. Never used it but I’ve seen a lot of people mention it online.

kenaibuds

kenaibuds

This is the lower half of my Polly x King Jack. Lots of pine coming out of this. Polly was a random seed I got out of an oz from my favorite local grower. King Jack was gifted to me by subcool as a tester, after writing up a strain report that he liked. Coincidentally, it was a write up on a heavily piney strain and this is one too!
The last pic is another shot of the lime chem skunk. I was moving things around and exposed a bit of an open patch so I got a good flick of the bud sites I have going on.

48706130 42C0 4F0B 991B F206B763989F
2AA6D468 E404 4CD4 BA61 CABC916BE5B2
779D7992 51D5 4C4D 9213 71F845D17FE9
8FB5DE51 C524 4994 A4A8 F5B139157134
kenaibuds

kenaibuds

Well, shit… this is exactly why I don’t get into the hyped up “club strains”. Maybe this isn’t in shops but it has hype lineage. One of the twins is a true herm. I spotted some bundled up nanners ready to grow up and wreak havoc on some tasty buds. Cake Monkey “a” is soon to find its way into the rabbit cage. RIP. I’ve culled the sacks in my early growing stages but it’s not worth it to me.

I’ll be watching closely on the other one with a full inspection every week, I guess. Cake Monkey “b” is thriving, loving everything I’m doing, and showing signs of a pure female. That’s the only one that had rooted clones as well. I’ll keep this around for a bit but I’m not very stoked on it.

Still searching for the one… I might be chasing a dragon.

C680ACB2 7A7E 46C8 8D0F ECE1852F250F
5DC79C6B 5B29 4A52 A863 77E1D1894281
kenaibuds

kenaibuds

Here is my veg. Rocking and rolling. First pic shows seven (unnamed strain) seeds I got as a freebie. They said it performed well outside and was robust in terps. I’m just calling it SupaTerp because I needed a name for the labels. Three studs in the back and four ladies up front.

Next pic would be the four lime chem skunk clones and one reveg off a bud that I cloned. One of the LCS will be a mom and get training for a bigger crop than my norm. I’ve been doing that lately because I feel like it’s a better use of the moms.

The last two are some of the largest leaves in there. I love when they get as big as my hand.

26F2EF51 2EA6 45D3 81CF D75F4C033637
B996A70D 19C8 47E5 8E46 C2C22876D0FD
DF5D2BA0 50C3 49E8 A744 0281C041ECD6
91FA0613 E13B 410E 8E19 9A5BA0846D73
kenaibuds

kenaibuds

Clone day! I cloned the seven SupaTerps, killed my three males, and removed everything below the node I used to clone. Not much side branching going on here, pure apical dominance. At roughly fingertip height, I’m not going to late-top them, they enter flower in a week or two. Four single cola plants will compliment my LCS bush and a two cola Cake Monkey.

C506F9A6 B699 479D 9913 0BE8553C3364
73789B30 16B8 40B4 879C B1F8DF4429AE
kenaibuds

kenaibuds

So, we’ve all heard of FIM(blue), topping(red), and pinching. But what about leaf trimming(green)? I had an idea a while back, what if I clipped my fresh growth in half, not to remove the apical growth but instead slow it? Like a FIM cut but taller, more consistent, and you’re guaranteed to have a top still. I was expecting a broad canopy, as wide as it was tall. That was with my Lime Chem Skunk from seed. The germinated seed for this plant was planted on Halloween(104 days ago). She went into flower at 91 days old with a week old transplant. I kept my 400w MH just about 20” away the entire veg period. I started off trimming at the 4th node and every single one after that. I went all the way up past the stagger. I used this method it to control the length of certain side branches, clipping the long ones and letting others catch up, as well as controlling the height of the top. The plant was only about 8” tall and starting to stagger, but roughly 8” wide and stacking nodes. The plant grew super symmetrical until I cut too low one day. Now you see where she’s at in some of my last few posts.

Anyhow, has anybody used this method? Demonstrated on a clone of LCS.

E568AD4D 34AF 46A4 A007 0F735BD2E0DF
C004BD9E 1188 467F 8454 5FA5BE20F33C
kenaibuds

kenaibuds

I ordered some Deep Purple(Purple Urkle x Querkle) regular/photo seeds for the stable. They should be here Friday. It’s a TGA product and it’s not going to come around again unless somebody else works them and puts them out.
I had this strain in 2018 and lucked out with a pine pheno on a single seed germination. Slow growing and not an outstanding yield, but that was some killer smoke. Best nugs that year and I’m sure I could improve the yields if I got more familiar with that pheno.
I’d like to have more of these seeds around since this is the last time I’ll get a legit pack of them. So, I plan on having an open pollination to make that happen. Would this be considered IBL? I’ve done some random chucking but never had much intent. It was just for fun and so I didn’t have to buy more seeds. Should I try to focus on breeding my keeper pheno with all the boys or should I just let all of the boys & girls do their thing? Anybody with experience on this kinda thing have advice?

kenaibuds

kenaibuds

Captain’s log, day 26 of flower.

Cake monkey;
This plant is about 64” tall. Soon to be stinky and already stacking on the resin. Some of the bigger fans are starting to fade to yellow. I usually like to let that happen later on in week 6. To counteract that, I fed roots calmag, roots buddha bloom, roots hpk, earthjuice microblast, and some earthjuice hi-brix (molasses). I’ll do another cal mag treatment in a week or two, I diluted to 1/2 dose on that and the microblast.

Lime Chem Skunk;
This girl is going to produce my finest cola’s so far. She’s fully green, no signs of deficiencies or stress. I gave her the same exact nutrient blend as the cake monkey.

I’m just going to feed that hi-brix and hpk maybe twice more before I finish flower. I like to keep it simple.

I also put two of my SupaTerps into flower. They were the tallest and had the most space between nodes. I don’t think I did much cleaning up on them. I’m down to grow a bit of popcorn, especially on the first go, but I usually scrap those types. Those will be great outliers as I keep my mega-bushy LCS right in the center.

20DB99BC B675 4E89 A4C9 1A6DBF1D4188
FD0B2460 4594 4E5E BBB9 74AE2A911189
Top Bottom