Pest Identification

• Thread starter MushinNoShin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Forgot to mention; I run perpetual, so time is a major factor and I don't have the benefit of those in-between harvest times where the rooms are empty.

Tnelz

Tnelz

Just for the record. Conserve is an organic alternative with the power of heavy chemicals. In saying that do what u gotta do brother. Plenty of people will jump all over u but they r ur plants. If u need to go nuclear do it. The biggest issue people may have is not letting others know that u treated with chemicals and those people not knowing what they may or may not be smoking. But save ur ladies man. I know how much work it takes to keep a nice garden. In the future though preventative matinence will keep u safe most times. Spray bacterial teas, caps foliar even the recipe the bro above posted. Once a month with each on a rotating basis. Good luck bro.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Just for the record. Conserve is an organic alternative with the power of heavy chemicals. In saying that do what u gotta do brother. Plenty of people will jump all over u but they r ur plants. If u need to go nuclear do it. The biggest issue people may have is not letting others know that u treated with chemicals and those people not knowing what they may or may not be smoking. But save ur ladies man. I know how much work it takes to keep a nice garden. In the future though preventative matinence will keep u safe most times. Spray bacterial teas, caps foliar even the recipe the bro above posted. Once a month with each on a rotating basis. Good luck bro.
Much love Tnelz, I have a quart bottle of Conserve SC in my shopping cart and will most definitely be using it in the place of Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew. Just wish I have known sooner :/ I honestly never even considered the concentration of spinosads being a factor, I just assumed that all spinosads products were created equal, so naive.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Azamax or azatrol and ur done. 1tsp per gal of nutrient solution and drench the roots. Do it again in 2 wks.
I've been using AzaMax and have heard of a lot of people having success with it. The problem I have with AzaMax is it seems to be a bit slower acting and I run perpetual, so if I take the girls into the bloom room, I suspect the little bastards will just evacuate and move to the other girls that are in bloom, which I don't feel comfortable spraying.

I've been spraying AzaMax and doesn't seem to have a major effect. I will try the root-drench out today, much obliged G gnome (very clever name btw lol).

I'm in SoCal and I've heard that we have especially resistant mites (this may just be rumor). I've read that there are certain mites in SoCal that are immune even to Avid and Floramite. I also read that I may have the mite that is specially adapt to cannabis and grow-rooms.

Excerpt from an article I was reading:

"If you got your spider mites from a cannabis clone or plant from another marijuana grower, chances are you've got the type of spider mite that is an expert at infesting marijuana plants.

The two-spotted mites often seem to be the worst spider mite in this category!

These specialized spider mites are incredibly developed at living on marijuana plants, and will already be immune to many common spider mite remedies.

If you believe you got your spider mites from another marijuana grower, then don't play games. Get serious and get rid of your mites NOW, before they adapt to your grow room and become unstoppable."

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

To put everyone's worries to ease, none of the plants treated with pesticides will be going to anyone, save maybe myself and some friends (all have rec's) who already know the situation and plan of action.

Around these parts medication is usually required to pass testing before it is accepted and I wouldn't taint my name like that.

G gnome

G gnome

Dont let that article scare you I'm still runnin the gear now as when I ran a mite ranch. In my particular experience the mites were only a symptom of a bigger problem. .. not keeping my game tight I have since started using compost tea regularly (which I give a lot of credit to) and keep healthier plants in general. anytime i think they might be staging a comeback i just water them w a little aza. Btw when i transplant fom clone i use it as an opportunity to fill a 5 gal bucket w aza solution of 1tsp per gal and dunk the whole entire plant. "WE NEED TOTAL COVERAGE"

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Dont let that article scare you I'm still runnin the gear now as when I ran a mite ranch. In my particular experience the mites were only a symptom of a bigger problem. .. not keeping my game tight I have since started using compost tea regularly (which I give a lot of credit to) and keep healthier plants in general. anytime i think they might be staging a comeback i just water them w a little aza. Btw when i transplant fom clone i use it as an opportunity to fill a 5 gal bucket w aza solution of 1tsp per gal and dunk the whole entire plant. "WE NEED TOTAL COVERAGE"
I'm gonna give it another go, I have cuts sitting in AzaMax. Since it is a systemic I was hoping the cuts would soak it up and keep the mites off of them.

I've done 2 heavy foliar sprays, but have yet to root drench. Will be trying it out today. How long did it take you to see results?

I use to root drench about once a month with AzaMax as a preventative, I stopped around the end of last year, thinking it was unnecessary. Maybe that is why I am having such a problem now?

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Okay, good news; the AzaMax seems to have knocked-back the invasion a bit. Could only find 1 mite crawling around, but there are still a good amount of eggs. I did an AzaMax root drench today and hopefully that cleared it up, they haven't spread anymore, tho.

I've noticed the spider mites prefer some strains over others. They don't seem to like the Chemdawgs, Chemdog crosses or Bubbas, but love the OGs.

Side-note: Some of the new clones put into the AzaMax solution got a few fried leaves, most didn't skip a beat, tho. Also seemed strain dependent.

A big 'thank you' to you guys who have stuck around to help and lend advise, much love. It's good to be a Farmer :)

I really hope this Forbid 4f and Floramite clears things up and I can put this nightmare behind me. I keep my rooms clean, I'm no slob by any means. The floors, equipment and rezys are regularly cleaned with bleach. If fan leaves fall off the longest they will sit is a day or two. I am pretty anal about cleanliness.

I believe I got mites from some BTY cuts (I just had to have them :/), as those were the first to show signs and had the most damage. I immediately dumped them along with the other cuts I got from the same source. When I first got them I dipped in soap water and sprayed with iso/water solution, but I believe a few eggs survived and layed dormant until spring rolled around.

I got careless and am paying dearly for it...like literally paying cash for it lol. At the price, I sure hope these pesticides/miticides work.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I know a lot of you guys (and gals) are against the heavy duty pesticides, and for good reason, but that is the route I have to take, as it seems the most reliable. I am being Blitzkrieged by these pest. If anyone has any experience or recommendations on dosage/application, I would be forever grateful.

My plan is to hit them heavy with Forbid 4F @ 1 ml per gallon and then follow-up with Floramite @ 1/4th teaspoon 3 days later. Now both of the products say they are compatible with other pesticides and I see a lot of guys mixing them, does anyone have any experience or recommendations for this?

After this initial application I will hang Hot Shot NoPest strips and continue to apply AzaMax (although it seems AzaMax is better for prevention and works on a much longer timescale).

If anyone has any advice, recommendations or thoughts on this, I would love to hear it, thanks!
I don't recall Tx rates for those products, but my advice is to use precisely their Tx rates and methodology. I believe you need one more single-site mode of action miticide here, IIRC. I would not mix, I would hit with
Much love Tnelz, I have a quart bottle of Conserve SC in my shopping cart and will most definitely be using it in the place of Captain Jack's Dead Bug Brew. Just wish I have known sooner :/ I honestly never even considered the concentration of spinosads being a factor, I just assumed that all spinosads products were created equal, so naive.
This is true of all products, Neem is another example. Trilogy used to be a 90% neem, IIRC, now it's 70%, as another example. DiPel is concentrated Btk, as another.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

So the hits keep on coming... The spider mites made a come-back from the AzaMax it seems and I think I have broad mites...

Please have a look. Your input is very much valued and appreciated.

G gnome

G gnome

By the looks of it theres more than just pests goin wrong. Why do u suppose the leaf edges are curled up like that?

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I just got the Floramite SC, Hot Shot NoPest Strips and the gas mask in. I went with a gas mask instead of a respirator because they were the same price and the gas mask seemed like it would give better protection. Waiting on the Forbid 4f and hazmat suit.

I am thinking I want to hang the Hot Shot NoPest Strips while I am waiting and then use the Forbid 4f for the translaminar capability and then follow-up with the Floramite.

If anyone sees any big no-no's here please do point them out. I admittedly have no experience with pesticides like these.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

By the looks of it theres more than just pests goin wrong. Why do u suppose the leaf edges are curled up like that?
From what I understand that is a tell-tale sign of Broad Mites. Just based on what I have read.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I initially thought it was due to a spike in humidity from the foliar spraying, as it only started with a couple young leaves after spraying AzaMax. Now a good amount of the younger leaves are curling-up like this. This is such a nightmare!

After Seamaiden mentioned Broad Mites I did a little research and learned it is a symptom of Broad Mites. I took a sample, put it into a air-tight bag and threw it under the microscope and this is what I found.

Laaaaaawwwwwdddd, PLEASE tell me I don't have Broad Mites :(

G gnome

G gnome

Feeling for ya pal. Good luck sleepin tonight

Yep... used to run a 20k mite ranch myself. They just dont fetch the high dollars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
From what I understand that is a tell-tale sign of Broad Mites. Just based on what I have read.
Yes, it sure can be. What does the new growth look like? Go through @caregiverken 's thread on russet mites, IIRC he ended up using diatomaceous earth through one of those squirter thingies and it was very effective.
I initially thought it was due to a spike in humidity from the foliar spraying, as it only started with a couple young leaves after spraying AzaMax. Now a good amount of the younger leaves are curling-up like this. This is such a nightmare!

After Seamaiden mentioned Broad Mites I did a little research and learned it is a symptom of Broad Mites. I took a sample, put it into a air-tight bag and threw it under the microscope and this is what I found.

Laaaaaawwwwwdddd, PLEASE tell me I don't have Broad Mites :(
I wish I could. At this point, I think if you don't have time/funds to get the organic products that control these pests, you're going to have to go full nuclear. Along with the mask and Tyvek suit you want some kind of booties to cover your feet, and I would also recommend chemical resistant gloves. Learn and understand what the worker protection safety standards are and how they apply to you. Also learn and know about re-entry periods post-treatment, this is just as important as the protection when applying these products.

And last, but hardly least, be fully prepared with two, if not three single-site mode of action products so you can immediately rotate.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Yes, it sure can be. What does the new growth look like? Go through @caregiverken 's thread on russet mites, IIRC he ended up using diatomaceous earth through one of those squirter thingies and it was very effective.

I wish I could. At this point, I think if you don't have time/funds to get the organic products that control these pests, you're going to have to go full nuclear. Along with the mask and Tyvek suit you want some kind of booties to cover your feet, and I would also recommend chemical resistant gloves. Learn and understand what the worker protection safety standards are and how they apply to you. Also learn and know about re-entry periods post-treatment, this is just as important as the protection when applying these products.

And last, but hardly least, be fully prepared with two, if not three single-site mode of action products so you can immediately rotate.
The sound advise is much appreciated Seamaiden! The Tyvek suit covers the feet and I plan to wear nitrile gloves. I know they are kinda short, but that's the best I can do at the moment.

The re-entry time on the Forbid 4f is 24 hours and I believe it is the same for Floramite. I didn't even consider post-treatment protocol, thanks for the tip! I will be looking into that today.

When would you recommend reapplication? I'm reading some people saying 3 days and some saying 28 days. The instructions for Floramite don't specify this, they simply state that it has residual control for up to 28 days. Can't find anything regarding reapplication in the Forbid manual.

I am beginning to realize that I might not have a "heavy" infestation. It is a few leaves on certain plants and spreads to a few more leaves or another plants as the days go by. When I flip a leaf over I see a lot of eggs and a good amount of adults (~100/50, respectively), I'm sure for every one I see there are 100, tho. Not to the point where there is webbing and whatnot. The manual says "heavy infestation" and am beginning to question whether or not my situation warrants it.

Anyways; did the AzaMax, Captain Jack's low concentration spinosads and hung the Hot Shot NoPest Strip. Will be going onto Forbid 4f and Floramite SC and then Conserve SC. I hope this covers enough modes-of-action (which I have admittidly failed to look into thus far).

I will checkout that thread out right now, thanks again! And really, thank you all for all the help and support. It really does make a difference. The task at hand doesn't seem so daunting and I am confident that this nightmare will eventually be behind me.

Side note:
This is a bit embarrassing, but what does IIRC mean or stand for?

Top Bottom