Pest Identification

• Thread starter MushinNoShin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If I Recollect Correctly. :) No worries on that.
When would you recommend reapplication? I'm reading some people saying 3 days and some saying 28 days. The instructions for Floramite don't specify this, they simply state that it has residual control for up to 28 days. Can't find anything regarding reapplication in the Forbid manual.
Hoo boy... it's been a while since I've used any of these chems, and right now I'd be going on memory.. no, fuck that. Facts are what's needed here, lemme do some searching.

Fff... you ain't gonna like some of this label for Forbid 4F, but it's the truth. Not to be used on consumables, for one thing. In any event, here's the link to the pdf.
http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld6P7000.pdf
http://www.spsonline.com/sps/sites/default/files/imagefield_thumbs/FORBID 4F_MSDS.pdf

Anyway, Forbid 4F should not be used more than 3 times during the growing season, this is why I said you need to have another product to use in rotation. Spinosad is one I believe folks are also using for spider mites, and they're known NOT to develop resistance to it (plus, it's approved organic *and* for use on consumables).

I've gotta go search on the Floramite now.
This can be used on consumables, must be rotated. I'm finding two rather different looking labels (just appearance, not poring through the text).
http://cues.cfans.umn.edu/old/mnla/floramite.pdf
http://www.ohp.com/PIB/PDF/floramite_475_pib.pdf

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Okay, good news; the AzaMax seems to have knocked-back the invasion a bit. Could only find 1 mite crawling around, but there are still a good amount of eggs. I did an AzaMax root drench today and hopefully that cleared it up, they haven't spread anymore, tho.

I've noticed the spider mites prefer some strains over others. They don't seem to like the Chemdawgs, Chemdog crosses or Bubbas, but love the OGs.

Side-note: Some of the new clones put into the AzaMax solution got a few fried leaves, most didn't skip a beat, tho. Also seemed strain dependent.

A big 'thank you' to you guys who have stuck around to help and lend advise, much love. It's good to be a Farmer :)

I really hope this Forbid 4f and Floramite clears things up and I can put this nightmare behind me. I keep my rooms clean, I'm no slob by any means. The floors, equipment and rezys are regularly cleaned with bleach. If fan leaves fall off the longest they will sit is a day or two. I am pretty anal about cleanliness.

I believe I got mites from some BTY cuts (I just had to have them :/), as those were the first to show signs and had the most damage. I immediately dumped them along with the other cuts I got from the same source. When I first got them I dipped in soap water and sprayed with iso/water solution, but I believe a few eggs survived and layed dormant until spring rolled around.

I got careless and am paying dearly for it...like literally paying cash for it lol. At the price, I sure hope these pesticides/miticides work.
Dont forget to follow up that root drench in 10 days or so. 1 time usually wont get em all.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Okay, something that really concerns me is that the inside of my gas mask smells like ammonia. I got it off eBay where it was listed as a "Czech M10 unissued military gas mask". It looked really cool and I figured it was better than a respirator, but it kinda burns my throat and irritates my lungs. Now this may just be my imagination playing tricks on me (in regards to throat and lung irritation), but it does in fact smell like ammonia, no doubt about that. What is inside those filters you guys think? It was brand new (I think) and was in the original packaging.

Something I should add, they found a small nodule in my left lung at the beginning of this year (I was a pack a day smoker for a good 7 years). They are suppose to watch it and see if it grows or changes shape, but because of my age they believe it is benign and may just be scarred tissue or something. Anyways, just incase I don't want to add anymore damage to my lungs or take any chances.

If anyone knows a bit about respirators and gas masks and whatnot, is it normal for gas masks to smell like ammonia?

Here's a picture of the one I got, you can see why I couldn't resist lol.

Side note: only got 4 hours of sleep last night, so pardon me if my posts seem kind of unstructured and/or confusing.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

If I Recollect Correctly. :) No worries on that.

Hoo boy... it's been a while since I've used any of these chems, and right now I'd be going on memory.. no, fuck that. Facts are what's needed here, lemme do some searching.

Fff... you ain't gonna like some of this label for Forbid 4F, but it's the truth. Not to be used on consumables, for one thing. In any event, here's the link to the pdf.
http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld6P7000.pdf
http://www.spsonline.com/sps/sites/default/files/imagefield_thumbs/FORBID 4F_MSDS.pdf

Anyway, Forbid 4F should not be used more than 3 times during the growing season, this is why I said you need to have another product to use in rotation. Spinosad is one I believe folks are also using for spider mites, and they're known NOT to develop resistance to it (plus, it's approved organic *and* for use on consumables).

I've gotta go search on the Floramite now.
This can be used on consumables, must be rotated. I'm finding two rather different looking labels (just appearance, not poring through the text).
http://cues.cfans.umn.edu/old/mnla/floramite.pdf
http://www.ohp.com/PIB/PDF/floramite_475_pib.pdf

I am thinking I'm going to have to use anything that has been treated for seed run. If I can just eliminate the pest, let some new growth develop and take cuts from the very tops, I can make new mums that aren't tainted.

Thanks for taking the time to look into that, Sea!

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Dont forget to follow up that root drench in 10 days or so. 1 time usually wont get em all.
Will do, I think I have just enough left for another root drench too.

The Hot Shot NoPest Strip really appears to be working! All the spider mites I see are frozen and I think they are dead. I heard it takes about a week for the strips to really merk them.

Now do you guys think it would be alright to use Forbid while the NoPest strip is still in there? In terms of interaction or toxicity to the plants?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Okay, something that really concerns me is that the inside of my gas mask smells like ammonia. I got it off eBay where it was listed as a "Czech M10 unissued military gas mask". It looked really cool and I figured it was better than a respirator, but it kinda burns my throat and irritates my lungs. Now this may just be my imagination playing tricks on me (in regards to throat and lung irritation), but it does in fact smell like ammonia, no doubt about that. What is inside those filters you guys think? It was brand new (I think) and was in the original packaging.

Something I should add, they found a small nodule in my left lung at the beginning of this year (I was a pack a day smoker for a good 7 years). They are suppose to watch it and see if it grows or changes shape, but because of my age they believe it is benign and may just be scarred tissue or something. Anyways, just incase I don't want to add anymore damage to my lungs or take any chances.

If anyone knows a bit about respirators and gas masks and whatnot, is it normal for gas masks to smell like ammonia?

Here's a picture of the one I got, you can see why I couldn't resist lol.

Side note: only got 4 hours of sleep last night, so pardon me if my posts seem kind of unstructured and/or confusing.

View attachment 497806
If I'd known, I would have told you that the Israeli gas masks are the quality masks.

I don't think it's normal for it to smell of ammonia, especially if it burns. I personally would send it back.

MGRox

MGRox

@MushinNoShin

A gas mask aye? Did you buy new canisters for it? You shouldn't have that smell no.

-Those canisters have a Carbon filter if rated for standard "C" issue.
-Those canisters have a Micron filter and Carbon if rated for standard "BC" issue.
-Those canisters have a Micron Filter and Iodine impregnated carbon for "NBC" issue.

The canister filters come sealed from the factory and are not intended to be opened until use. The life depends on application. I.e. C or BC may last 12-24hrs whereas an NBC may only last 3-4 hours.

One of the best masks to get is the M95. They are Mil spec and are excellent masks. (sold NBC suits, masks and "test kits" back after 9.11 :D)
M95

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

@MushinNoShin

A gas mask aye? Did you buy new canisters for it? You shouldn't have that smell no.

-Those canisters have a Carbon filter if rated for standard "C" issue.
-Those canisters have a Micron filter and Carbon if rated for standard "BC" issue.
-Those canisters have a Micron Filter and Iodine impregnated carbon for "NBC" issue.

The canister filters come sealed from the factory and are not intended to be opened until use. The life depends on application. I.e. C or BC may last 12-24hrs whereas an NBC may only last 3-4 hours.

One of the best masks to get is the M95. They are Mil spec and are excellent masks. (sold NBC suits, masks and "test kits" back after 9.11 :D)
View attachment 498154
Man, I should have waited to put the filters in. I literally thought they lasted for months, if not years. They have theses filters that were sealed upon arrival, that go into the cheek area inside the mask and screw into the side ports. My dumb-ass immediately opened the package and began to play with it. Really didn't know they only lasted a few hours like that, damn!

Thanks for that tip, I would have never known. Looks like I need a new one or at least new filters.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

If I'd known, I would have told you that the Israeli gas masks are the quality masks.

I don't think it's normal for it to smell of ammonia, especially if it burns. I personally would send it back.
I'll look for a Israeli mask right now, thanks Sea!

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

A little update: I'm getting a bit of burning on some of my leaf tips. Some strains like Madman OG and King Louie XIII got the shit burnt out of them. I think I over-did it on the AzaMax. I never washed it off (followed-up with a fresh water spray to clear-off the gunk). Maybe it is the NoPest Strips that is causing the burning? I don't know if it is phylotoxic or not.

It is hard to tell whether the burning is coming from the NoPest Strips or the AzaMax. I really wanted to go to town with the Forbid 4f, but am afraid it might just totally incinerate everything lol. I'm going to give them a fresh water spray-down, let them dry-off and then hit them with Forbid.

I am REALLY hoping this ends it once and for all and I don't have to use Floramite.

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Oh and guys, if you have strong MH lights that your around often, I recommend UV eye protection. Went to renew my prescription for glasses/contacts and the optometrist (I think that's the title lol) said I have some sun damage to my eye. I can't remember the technical term, but basically it turns the white of your eye yellow/red and isn't good for your vision.

She asked if I am outside a lot and getting a lot of sun exposure and I immediately thought "no, not exactly, lol".

You guys have helped me out so much, just figured I'd share my experience and try to return the favor. Wear eye protection!

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Also, took your guys' advise and got a pack of OG BioWar (aka Cap's Bennies, correct?). I only got the foliar pack, however. I'll be using it as a preventative. The NoPest Strip seems to be working wonderfully for the most part. I have seen a lot of people say it is all you need. I do see the leaf curl (Broad Mite indicator) has spread to another plant, but other than that, it looks like all the 2-spotted spider mites are dead/evacuating. I'm going to do Forbid 4f just for good measure and for Broad Mites.

Side note: I hypothesize that the reason my bloom room has not had any problems is because humidity tends to spike during my lights-off period and from what I understand, spider mites prefer dry environments. I am thinking of applying OG BioWar Foliar pack just as a preventative in there.

Bill Murry

Bill Murry

Get some Met-52 drench your soil then come back with the Nematode combo pack two treatments week or so apart. I also use predatory mites, lady bugs, praying mantis, and green lacewing eggs for infestations. I fought root aphids/fungs gnats and mites through last fall. This was the way i regained control of my environment again. Great preventive maintenance between or when in early vegs told to me by someone i greatly respect is to use the Attain and the Preclude in conjunction with one another. Do not use a bunch of chemicals then release live beneficial just as a reminder. @Capulator OG bio is the Whip as well.

Preclude® TR Micro Total Release Insecticide
Attain® TR Micro Total Release Insecticide
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/

http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/2424/pest-solver-guide-gnats-midges
met52_ec_-_evergreen_growers_supply_llc.jpg

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Get some Met-52 drench your soil then come back with the Nematode combo pack two treatments week or so apart. I also use predatory mites, lady bugs, praying mantis, and green lacewing eggs for infestations. I fought root aphids/fungs gnats and mites through last fall. This was the way i regained control of my environment again. Great preventive maintenance between or when in early vegs told to me by someone i greatly respect is to use the Attain and the Preclude in conjunction with one another. Do not use a bunch of chemicals then release live beneficial just as a reminder. @Capulator OG bio is the Whip as well.

Preclude® TR Micro Total Release Insecticide
Attain® TR Micro Total Release Insecticide
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/

http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/2424/pest-solver-guide-gnats-midges
met52_ec_-_evergreen_growers_supply_llc.jpg
Thanks, Bill! I think I will be enlisting the help of predatory mites and insects as a preventative in the future, for sure. Just as soon as I let things air-out a bit. This is the first time I've heard of Attain and Preclude. I will check them out, thanks again for the tip!

MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

Yesterday I sprayed the Forbid and shutoff the lights, waiting 24 hours to have a look. I am fairly certain my mite problem will be a nightmare I can put behind me because I DRENCHED that room.

Now, would you guys follow-up with another application? I've seen a lot of people say 1 application is all that is needed and I feel like they were already in their death-throws before I used the Forbid, from the NoPest Strips.

Side note: It was a nightmare! I spilt the bottle on myself (had gloves on and hazmat suit, but still freaked me out!) and ended-up just throwing the suit away. When I filled-up the applicator it over-flowed when I put the cap/nossle on and got everywhere. So I am pretty sure I'm going to have to mop the floor and throw away anything the solution spelt on when I can get back in.

Last edited:
MushinNoShin

MushinNoShin

I wish I knew all this info before I ordered anything. Hopefully someone out there can read this and learn from it.

If I could do it all over again I would use the Conserve SC, Cap's Foliar Pack and then go with predatory mites/insects.

I believe Neoseiulus Californicus is native to my area, so I sure hope that isn't what I was seeing and trying to exterminate.

If this doesn't get rid of them, I'll loose my mind, lol.

Top Bottom