Ph Testera

• Thread starter sweetolmaryjane
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sweetolmaryjane

Anyone got a recommendation on an accurate PH tester. I have 2 different 25$ digital testers from amazon. I have calibrated them both correctly. Yet when I PH my water both say completely different numbers. If one says 6.25 the other says 7.05. Very frustrating and I don't wanna spend money on another piece of trash. (What's really frustrating is when I put both of them back in the calibration solution they say the correct number. If I put it in the 4.01 they both read the 4.01. but when I put them in diluted water or my rez, they are both out of whack)

H

Hdinkleman

Anyone got a recommendation on an accurate PH tester. I have 2 different 25$ digital testers from amazon. I have calibrated them both correctly. Yet when I PH my water both say completely different numbers. If one says 6.25 the other says 7.05. Very frustrating and I don't wanna spend money on another piece of trash. (What's really frustrating is when I put both of them back in the calibration solution they say the correct number. If I put it in the 4.01 they both read the 4.01. but when I put them in diluted water or my rez, they are both out of whack)

unless you spend 100$ + on a good one all of them are garbage.
sorry to tell you that but same thing for me, i have two of the crappy ones, ill be getting a good one finally next thursday

S

sweetolmaryjane

Could that be why its so inaccurate. The water temp? I wasn't aware that was a factor. I mean it isn't one of the ones that tell.me the water temp...

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I've been using bluelab tds and ph pens for the past decade, and highly recommend them. One I used for almost 6 years before it eventually started reading a bit slow. I gave it to a buddy who still uses it. I've had the last one for 4 or 5 years and it still works perfectly. You just need to change the battery once a year or so, keep it properly stored in a high ppm KCL solution, and never expose it to reverse osmosis or distilled water. Only ever test solutions with nutrients in it, or hard tap water.

Mine is still spot on when I calibrate it and gives a stable reading in well under a minute.

Dan789

Dan789

Could that be why its so inaccurate. The water temp? I wasn't aware that was a factor. I mean it isn't one of the ones that tell.me the water temp...
Not sure, on the temp thing, but do know it’s significant when checking PH in pools...

S

sweetolmaryjane

Don't expose it to distilled water? Both of my pens specifically state to rinse it out after each use with distilled water.
Especially when calibrating.

I rinse with distilled water put the cap back on and store it dry. What is the solution you store yours in exactly?

QUOTE="Dirtbag, post: 2233060, member: 102084"]I've been using bluelab tds and ph pens for the past decade, and highly recommend them. One I used for almost 6 years before it eventually started reading a bit slow. I gave it to a buddy who still uses it. I've had the last one for 4 or 5 years and it still works perfectly. You just need to change the battery once a year or so, keep it properly stored in a high ppm KCL solution, and never expose it to reverse osmosis or distilled water. Only ever test solutions with nutrients in it, or hard tap water.

Mine is still spot on when I calibrate it and gives a stable reading in well under a minute.[/QUOTE]

newh

newh

I gave up on the meters after buying 5 of them.Now I use drops theyre cheap and easy

fishbuds

fishbuds

I’ve had for several years it’s a Hanna HI98127, calibrates fairly easily, works for me, around $90. Just PH, without temp sensing you can get the model HI98107 for around $40.
agree, $40 new hannah seems ok so far

WestbyGod

WestbyGod

I've been using bluelab tds and ph pens for the past decade, and highly recommend them. One I used for almost 6 years before it eventually started reading a bit slow. I gave it to a buddy who still uses it. I've had the last one for 4 or 5 years and it still works perfectly. You just need to change the battery once a year or so, keep it properly stored in a high ppm KCL solution, and never expose it to reverse osmosis or distilled water. Only ever test solutions with nutrients in it, or hard tap water.

Mine is still spot on when I calibrate it and gives a stable reading in well under a minute.
I use the Bluelab Guardian. It has worked great for me as long as I keep it calibrated. Just need to glance into tent to see E.C., reservoir temp, and PH.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Don't expose it to distilled water? Both of my pens specifically state to rinse it out after each use with distilled water.
Especially when calibrating.

I rinse with distilled water put the cap back on and store it dry. What is the solution you store yours in exactly?

QUOTE="Dirtbag, post: 2233060, member: 102084"]I've been using bluelab tds and ph pens for the past decade, and highly recommend them. One I used for almost 6 years before it eventually started reading a bit slow. I gave it to a buddy who still uses it. I've had the last one for 4 or 5 years and it still works perfectly. You just need to change the battery once a year or so, keep it properly stored in a high ppm KCL solution, and never expose it to reverse osmosis or distilled water. Only ever test solutions with nutrients in it, or hard tap water.

[/QUOTE]

A quick rinse is fine, but you shouldn't submerge it in distilled for more than a couple seconds. And it should be immediately put into a high KCL solution from there.
The way the probe bulb works is by ionic exchange and when you put it in distilled or reverse osmosis water, you get osmotic pressure that draws KCL out of the probe. If that happens enough it starts reading really slow and can get inaccurate.

I use bluelab KCL probe storage solution in my cap and I change it weekly. I'll use Q-tips to dry out the sponge and then refill it with storage solution.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Blue lab is the best I’ve ever used. But once they get some age start double Checking occasionally, I just went through a horrible experience in flower and veg room.
F220942E 2B32 4589 82EA 929EF864E1B0
use this for double checking
59FC6A95 31A3 4229 921A 3D81B7DDFF9E

newh

newh

Blue lab is the best I’ve ever used. But once they get some age start double Checking occasionally, I just went through a horrible experience in flower and veg room.View attachment 859009use this for double checking View attachment 859010
thats how I wound up using just the drops after double checking my pens a hundred times or so you get the idea of what your looking for with the drops.I still have a Hanna pen 4 and 7 calibration fluid and hcl that just gather dust now lol.All that stuff is like $150 bucks,a liter of drops is 12 bucks...

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Blue lab is the best I’ve ever used. But once they get some age start double Checking occasionally, I just went through a horrible experience in flower and veg room.View attachment 859009use this for double checking View attachment 859010

What happened do you know? Did the pen just crap out on you?

Good point about having drops on hand for cross reference though. Should always have a backup for a ph tester.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
What happened do you know? Did the pen just crap out on you?

Good point about having drops on hand for cross reference though. Should always have a backup for a ph tester.
It was over 1-1/2 old it was testing at 7.0. When I mixed nutes and tested it was saying 6.0. I tore my hair out trying to figure out what was off. I have a very strict way of growing I don’t change much of anything at all. Turns out it was 2 points high ph was 8 not 6.0.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
It was over 1-1/2 old it was testing at 7.0. When I mixed nutes and tested it was saying 6.0. I tore my hair out trying to figure out what was off. I have a very strict way of growing I don’t change much of anything at all. Turns out it was 2 points high ph was 8 not 6.0.
Whoa... That's catastrophic. Hopefully you have better luck with the next one.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
As other's have said Bluelab. You def want to get a temp sensing one if you get a ph meter. Temp has an effect on the PH. Granted it the range we use its like .1- .3 which can matter what you are growing in.

Drops also work fine. I just personally like meters cause i like to stay at 5.7 exactly.

H

Hdinkleman

I’ve had for several years it’s a Hanna HI98127, calibrates fairly easily, works for me, around $90. Just PH, without temp sensing you can get the model HI98107 for around $40.
ok was referring to my own local hydroshop cheapest one is 125$, planning on getting the hanna they have there its 159.99

S

sweetolmaryjane

I have never here of drops. Where could i find more info on them
thats how I wound up using just the drops after double checking my pens a hundred times or so you get the idea of what your looking for with the drops.I still have a Hanna pen 4 and 7 calibration fluid and hcl that just gather dust now lol.All that stuff is like $150 bucks,a liter of drops is 12 bucks...

Top Bottom