PHO smells like POO

• Thread starter seventhchild
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

seventhchild

I made a batch of oil using propane and am trying to remove the oderent . first i tried overpurging didn't work,next i tried adding water ,heating to almost boiling ,cooling and pouring off the water,still no good.so then i set some on FIRE:mad0233: still the smell hung on. so now i've got app 19 grams of oil i can't even sample .suggestions on ways to clean this up or a source for clean propane or whatever would be most welcome.

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

there nothing you can do im pretty sure my buddy said he did this one time and it ruined his shit, turned it a red color and smelled like rotten eggs. that is something they add to the propane that way you can tell when you have a leak.. Im think you pretty much sol.

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
yeah downer. how come you made so much? should have tried a smaller test batch maybe if possible. mercaptans, eww.

S

SkyHi

Yup stinky sulfur they add to make the non smelling propane smell so a leak can be detected.

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
actually some guy on another site was trying to say propane was ok and that mercaptans were in all butane as well, but anyhow, i think he mentioned a method to remove them, but it seems all pretty dubious...anyhow heres his post. seems like bunk, but what the heck!

"You dont need tech grade propane (if they even make it), just make sure you do a good ethanol wash afterwards.

I've tried both and propane seems much better to me, past 2 years it seems like butane has changed in formula.

Any residue would be washed out with an ethanol wash, use double the volume of etoh for eatch wash if your really paranoid.

But personally it tastes, smells, and smokes just as good as Co2. "

S

seventhchild

Yup stinky sulfur they add to make the non smelling propane smell so a leak can be detected.
i know what it is and why it's there

how come you made so much? .
to experiment with ways to remove the odorent .I have much material to work with.
turned it a red color l.
Mine appears identical to a butane extaction from the same material although it is runny because i haven't removed all the propane yet. mercaptans do not leave a flavor on your food nor stink up the house when you cook with it.this gives me hope that the smell can be removed. I'll try an alcohol wash now, thanks HMK ................................................................ the reason's i'm trying propane ............................................. $18 for 20lb vs $3 for 6 oz ....................................... easier to find a tank of propane than 10 cases of butane ......................less suspicious

L

Lost

Why not just use Iso? Sounds like your going to need to wash it in iso anyway.. :)

S

seventhchild

Why not just use Iso? Sounds like your going to need to wash it in iso anyway.. :)
iso results in an inferior product.HMK's method is the standard i am using to gage results.

S

seventhchild

the alcohol wash did not work, no change in smell .in frustration i put it on the stove and cooked it until it quit smoking. in the bottom of the pan remained a black crust. it does smell better . instead of smelling like a noxious chemical poison it smells like diesel fuel.it seems that the mercs have binded permanently to the oil. okay, how would i remove the mercs before the propane enters the material ?? charcoal ?

S

seventhchild

its been about a month since i mixed 5 grams of merc oil with 5 grams of powered bud and set on the water heater.it still stinks and i'm throwing it in the garbage can.

Dank Sinatra

Dank Sinatra

Bringing this back from the dead in hopes that someone will have a good idea for cleaning it, or buying clean propane.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Ethyl Mercaptans can be detected down to under 2.8 parts per billionth, and the only way I know to remove them, is an ionic bed.

Cort

Cort

I am not sciencey enough to help with the odor problem.

Would it hurt to jel-cap the stuff you are going to toss so you can at least get some use out? wont taste it if you take it as a pill.

squiggly

squiggly

Best way to get mercaptans out of the product:

Don't put them in it.

As for getting them out of a solvent, its a huge pain in the dick. Bubbling through a solution of NaOH, water, and H2O2 (in proper molar amounts) will oxidize most mercaptans and remove them. Methane thiol and dimethyldisulfide are exceptions--but these are reduces about 99.6% by this treatment. There are other methods available to get rid of the remaining stuff. Truly though, you'd need a proper apparatus for this, and sometimes special catalysts are needed for this to work depending on the solvent and what conditions you're able to provide (temp, pressure, solution volume). This is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more trouble than it is worth. In reality butane is a superior solvent due to its increased non polar character--propane might exclude slightly more chlorophyll, but at the cost of lost cannabinoids and terpenes.

This was a novel idea, but your problem solving skills are best spent elsewhere.

Signed,
a chemist

P.S.

CO2: What the fuck are you talking about? Seriously dude.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
Well I will give my latest uses w propane. I formulated a very small amount of co-solvent totaling about 3% overall weight, not mole. It wasn't nasty. It wasn't the tastiest. It was good consistancy and the high was definately there. Looked good felt good, so in small amounts, the shit was no where poo smelling, but wasn't as good due to the taste being off a bit. Not bad though. There's a way to get mercs out. Look in to propane explosions, there had been incidents where the soil, concrete, or other types of filtration that rendered it undetectable to smell. W that said, let's find a cheap solution. Squidworthless, to let you know who I am, I fathered CO2 METHODS and you sir are so far behind its not even funny, unless your me looking @ you!!! Make something of yourself w your infinate opinionated how co2 extractions aren't done. So how do I recover desired compounds of interest using carbon dioxide in scfe or cosub2? Yes and you think scfe is more potent than sub, I know you have know expirience in smoking the stuff nor hands on extracting w it. Such a late bloomer.
BAN HAMMER.....

squiggly

squiggly

Squidworthless, to let you know who I am, I fathered CO2 METHODS and you sir are so far behind its not even funny, unless your me looking @ you!!!

You know what I was leaving this shit alone, but you saying you invented CO2 extraction and talking shit about squidworth is just too far dude.

You're a bullshitter.

Leave.

Contacting a mod about you asap. Seriously everything you write makes you seem 15 years old dude--you literally are like bullshitting a paper, just adding in sentences where they don't belong.

Like this:
Make something of yourself w your infinate opinionated how co2 extractions aren't done. So how do I recover desired compounds of interest using carbon dioxide in scfe or cosub2? Yes and you think scfe is more potent than sub, I know you have know expirience in smoking the stuff nor hands on extracting w it. Such a late bloomer.

What the fuck does that MEAN?!?!?!?!

Arggggh its so frustrating, you make no sense--but you just insist on saying shit as though you do.

GO AWAY FOREVER!!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom